ADVERTISEMENT

We desperately need someone else to bitch about..

There's a lot to be hopeful for. We play championship level football on defense and special teams right now. If we can get the offense to click, we could have our best run. I understand the offense has been bad. Our head coach says it's been a combination of injuries, youth, and attrition that caught up to us. He usually ends being right. Message board jockeys are often wrong. I'm all for giving Brian some slack at this point because the decision has been made. Since it's been decided that he will be the OC, I sincerely hope he gets redemption. I don't subscribe to the notion that we're screwed because of him. I think if we get the injuries/youth/attrition thing in a better spot, he will look a lot better as OC. In the end, I still trust KF. We're on the verge of being really good. We just need to get better on offense. Let's support our guys and see if they can figure it out. I won't be at all surprised if they do.
I think your glass, is "way to full" for most here. I'm with you though. I may be disappointed that somekind of meaningful change didn't occur, but there's no sense in getting bent out of shape about something I have NO control over and nothing is happening for the next 6 1/2 months anyway.

Reactions: HawkinK.C.1
Why would you want to give money to NIL when you know that kid might not produce squat because the offense is ran so bad. I think I'd put it in stocks because I think 2023 is going to be a very very good year with a little early volatility.

99.9% agree and it’s my field!! Bonds as well!

Why would you want to give money to NIL when you know that kid might not produce squat because the offense is ran so bad. I think I'd put it in stocks because I think 2023 is going to be a very very good year with a little early volatility.
That high school quarterback that was going to get 250k a month at Florida that is now going to ASU? The only way that was going to turn out well was if he was the next Tim Tebow.

I think your glass, is "way to full" for most here. I'm with you though. I may be disappointed that somekind of meaningful change didn't occur, but there's no sense in getting bent out of shape about something I have NO control over and nothing is happening for the next 6 1/2 months anyway.

100% on this and I’m also a big believer in next year…

The Brian Ferentz not deserving another shot and the offensive line coach being questionable as well.

The teams greatest failure as I have said today and others as well, was sitting on their hands in the portal last year.

I am sometimes slow to be horrifically and harshly critical and believe me fellas I’m 52 there is a backstory there.

I have been that guy… With that said, I was slow to say much harsh about last year‘s Portal activity. But seriously...a coaching staff with this much experience and really a pretty damn good ability to gauge talent.

They ****ed up badly thinking their offensive line and quarterback play was gonna be good enough!!

It really was a crime…

But with better personnel, especially the quarterback position more offensive line, growth with some additions, and a pretty good, running back and TE stable; with or without the wide receivers. This team will be better and that’s including with Brian still sadly being our O-coordinator!!

You may not remember me saying this, but I live in Chicagoland. Actually, I live in Bourbonnais, which is about an hour south down 57 but you are correctamundo the price of beer in Chicago is absolutely asinine!!

Well, if you’re out and about that is and by the way, I don’t drink ever when I’m out and about. In fact, I didn’t drink at all for 17 years. I just picked it back up recently, why I do not know… With that said, Binny’s is a great place to buy alcohol, and it’s very reasonable.
Thanks cm. I've been waiting for the opportunity to call people names and be demanding but thr old lady is home so i have someone to bug in person. I rarely drink but when i did some of the Chicago bars were very shocking coming from a town of 500 people. Beers a lot cheaper here. Honestly i haven't had a beer since June. Thanks for acknowledging my juvenile behavior today!!!

I personally don’t get it myself. If I’m the Head Coach with a limited window of coaching left in the tank, I’m getting the best OC I can as well as QB coach that also recruit the best to help get the program over the hump to win the B1G and compete in the play offs before retiring.

It’s as if KF has always wanted to minimize success so people don’t expect a high level of success on an annual basis. Let’s not win too much or people will expect we win 10 games every year and compete for a B1G championship.
I agree with your theory. I have always believed and do still to do this day that KF considers himself an "O" coach with a very conservative offensive scheme that he owns. It works when he has a very good QB and skill players, but it does not work when he has an average offensive unit. I truly believe that Kirk steers the offense and overrides his offensive coordinators. He slowly adapts and this is the downfall of KOK, Greg Davis and Brian. Watch any video of Iowa games since 1999 and you will see KF with the microphone on and yapping when Iowa is on "O" and and the Microphone is up and there is no input when we are on "D"

I agree with your theory. I have always believed and do still to do this day that KF considers himself an "O" coach with a very conservative offensive scheme that he owns. It works when he has a very good QB and skill players, but it does not work when he has an average offensive unit. I truly believe that Kirk steers the offense and overrides his offensive coordinators. He slowly adapts and this is the downfall of KOK, Greg Davis and Brian. Watch any video of Iowa games since 1999 and you will see KF with the microphone on and yapping when Iowa is on "O" and and the Microphone is up and there is no input when we are on "D"

Good, bad or indifferent? KF “is” the problem!

And why we haven't consistently had a more mobile quarterback I have no idea… Stanley was the exception for me, he could move around enough, and he was a bulldozer but man alive even Padilla wasn’t that damn mobile in my mind. I mean, if you’re gonna be mobile, you gotta be able to get the ball out and accurate or it doesn’t matter!

Rudock also wasn’t mobile enough for me! He couldn’t make a move, get out of the pocket and make an extended play downfield!

It’s like we tried pretty hard to get a mobile quarterback with the Arvell Nelsons, and Marvin McNutts and others, that escape me.

Stanzi was mobile enough, he could run it up field if he had to and he could get out of the pocket and extend the play 40+ yards downfield! Tate was fantastic. Stanley was hit and miss, but he’d have made these last couple teams, nearly unbeatable all 10 Win, plus teams & more !!

I just I don’t get it!

We have to have a decent quarterback that’s just all there is to it!

Reactions: desihawk
We can all agree Brian sucks, but honestly isn’t anyone tired of going over it again and again and again?

Hell I hope they dump him just so we can have a new guy to bitch about!

Is there ever going to be a time we can just be semi positive about the team?

Maybe we can split the board for those that want to talk about Brian all the time and the rest of us?

I’m sick and tired of the guy and I didn’t care for him in the first place, but this a good team with a solid upward trajectory and the defensive coaches that many of you laud apparently really like Kirk Ferentz that should mean something!

If we get this Lber that’s a big deal and I was laying in bed last night remembering players like Max Llewelyn, Pittman and Brian Allen, that showed some flashes that we haven’t even got to see play yet.

Is there any point in time we can quit talking about this other guy?

When he is gone, or when the offense improves to slightly below average, we will stop talking about him. But this is a national story at this point, so it’s silly to think Iowa fans are goi g to stop talking about it,

It is hard not to be affected when the non-stop complaining and whining shows up in every thread.
The complaining is coming from Iowa fans who want the best for the Iowa football program, who believe it can be better than it is in its current state, and who think our AD and HC should believe that the standard for Iowa football should be higher than 25 points and 7 wins.

Reactions: cm8124
The complaining is coming from Iowa fans who want the best for the Iowa football program, who believe it can be better than it is in its current state, and who think our AD and HC should believe that the standard for Iowa football should be higher than 25 points and 7 wins.
I’d go as far to say, that if someone isn’t upset about it as an iowa fan or at least admit the terrible spot we are in, then they are part of the problem.

Reactions: cm8124
We can all agree Brian sucks, but honestly isn’t anyone tired of going over it again and again and again?

Maybe we can split the board for those that want to talk about Brian all the time and the rest of us?

I’m sick and tired of the guy and I didn’t care for him in the first place, but this a good team with a solid upward trajectory and the defensive coaches that many of you laud apparently really like Kirk Ferentz that should mean something!

If we get this Lber that’s a big deal and I was laying in bed last night remembering players like Max Llewelyn, Pittman and Brian Allen, that showed some flashes that we haven’t even got to see play yet.

Dang what got into you dude? You can’t be a homer McHome dog and make posts like this man. Keep it up.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
The hate I see doesn't sound at all like Iowa fans.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
Did we come up with anyone else yet?
I suggested Barta for the cost of beer in Chicago when we play at Wrigley. More about beer prices than Barta though. My boss forgot to order a patching material so i had to use a sander all day instead of working on the computer. He'd be a good one but he's a nice guy.

just a bump. Jesus, the coaches are not going to change, that is now a fact. Pointless to have 150 posts a day about Brian Ferentz. All the sarcasm isn't healthy for the people doing it and it is boring the hell out of everyone else.

Can we stop talking about Brian until spring practice and we see what a more talented and experienced offense looks like? Huge upgrade at QB, WR and RT will impact offensive performance.

just a bump. Jesus, the coaches are not going to change, that is now a fact. Pointless to have 150 posts a day about Brian Ferentz. All the sarcasm isn't healthy for the people doing it and it is boring the hell out of everyone else.

Can we stop talking about Brian until spring practice and we see what a more talented and experienced offense looks like? Huge upgrade at QB, WR and RT will impact offensive performance.
Huge upgrade at receiver?!? I’ll have what you are having!

Reactions: MikeyHawk

And guard or center with Feth. It's not a person but my colon is pissin me off. I'm really constipated. Regardless I'm still holding firm we get 10 or 11 wins next season. I don't care who is oc if we get wins like that.

It's one guy but Anderson is the most dynamic wr we've had in a while.
Like you said it’s one guy. And we’ve lost four of our best five receivers lately, all who had eligibility remaining. Hope Anderson is a stud but let’s call it like it is.

Like you said it’s one guy. And we’ve lost four of our best five receivers lately, all who had eligibility remaining. Hope Anderson is a stud but let’s call it like it is.
I can't tell how deep we are but am really comfortable with Anderson, Nico, and Vines. The OhioSt transfer may actually be a gem we don't know about. His highschool stats and film was really impressive. He just wasn't going to play behind all those 4 and 5 star stud wrs at buckeyeland.

I can't tell how deep we are but am really comfortable with Anderson, Nico, and Vines. The OhioSt transfer may actually be a gem we don't know about. His highschool stats and film was really impressive. He just wasn't going to play behind all those 4 and 5 star stud wrs at buckeyeland.
I mean Nico is a good slot guy. But I’d rather have Tracy, Keagan, and Arland in the top three slots. 🤷‍♂️

Huge upgrade at receiver?!? I’ll have what you are having!
Who played last year. Not Johnson. Vines was only available for 5 games. Brecht was available for only 5 games. Arland IV never really learned the position, he has not yet learned how to get open field separation.

I predict Anderson will be closer to 50 catches than 25 and his ypc is going to be north of 13. If Brecht stays healthy and stays with football and Vines gets some more experience, and Nico is Nico, the receiving group will be enormously improved.

Reactions: cmhawks99
You are overlooking the impact of your argument. Johnson barely played at Iowa last season. Bruce is unknown, was it the shitty QBing or did he just not develop from a do everything HS player to a college level receiver. Neither Jones nor Tracy played a down for Iowa last season. Tracy didn't play much at Purdue for that matter.

So compared to last season, assuming health and normal progression from Vines and Brecht, and Seth Anderson as well, our receiving group is dramatically better than last season. At least that is how it looks now. I am optimistic.

Particularly optimistic because a far better QB will be throwing the ball.

Last edited:
Who played last year. Not Johnson. Vines was only available for 5 games. Brecht was available for only 5 games. Arland IV never really learned the position, he has not yet learned how to get open field separation.

I predict Anderson will be closer to 50 catches than 25 and his ypc is going to be north of 13. If Brecht stays healthy and stays with football and Vines gets some more experience, and Nico is Nico, the receiving group will be enormously improved.

And an enormously improved WR core may still be mid-pack, Big Ten, but TE & running back, both seem fairly deep, and the quarterback play will be passed enormously improved if there is such a thing!! 😊

Last edited:
I mean Nico is a good slot guy. But I’d rather have Tracy, Keagan, and Arland in the top three slots. 🤷‍♂️

I get it… I like Tyrone Tracy a lot, but Arland is the one that frustrates me… With that said, I think Keagan Johnson was probably potentially a stud, but I think there’s some mental drama going on there too!!

And I’m not picking on the kid because mental health is a big thing in my life and a passion of mine & he’s young… But there is plenty going on there!

Really? What level did he play at last season?
He played at Georgia Southern. I get the point but if you watch his tape he's going up and getting balls that we haven't had anyone capable of that other than some practice catches talked about. Regatdless of his competition last year the level he played at and the catches themselves are at a level beyond our recent receivers. That's blatantly plain to see.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT