ADVERTISEMENT

WE HAVE A BASEBALL SCHEDULE!! March 6-8 Opening Games vs Michigan (in Texas). 44 Total Games (13 Weekends), Conference ONLY (Same w/ Softball)

Odd to still not have much information just two weeks out. I mean, how can they even book the hotels?

I agree that someone is going to need an awful gaudy record (similar to Illinois' conference record a number of years ago) to get at large consideration.

I'm also going to go out on a limb and assume this is 11 4-game series Thurs-Sun, or Fri-Sun with double headers (please no).

I disagree. You will find lots of info in the original post.

And you don't need to go out on a limb and assume how many weekends there will be. There will be 13, not 11 (your assumption).

Also from the original post is the math in getting to 44 games:

24 games (8 weekends x 3 games )

+

20 games (5 weekends x 4 games )

=

44 Total Conference Only games

Last edited:
So this tournament in March? Will it count as conference games or be non conference on the record?

March 5-7 in Texas is not a tournament.

Every game every B1G team plays is a conference game. I have not heard (via podcast) or seen anything that would suggest otherwise.

March 5-7 is simply weekend #1 of the 13 weekend, 44 game conference schedule. In Iowa's case, since there are only 3 other teams (Michigan, Nebraska & Purdue) with them in Texas, it is only a question of how many times Iowa plays each of these 3 teams. 5 B1G teams will show up & play in the Dome in Minneapolis; the remaining 4 B1G teams are at another warmer weather site.

Week 2 is March 12-14
-------Indiana & Maryland may host games on campus
-------Otherwise, Texas, Minneapolis, etc. likely hosting multiple B1G teams again this week

Week 3 is March 19-21
-------Normal hosting schedules begin in week 3, so Iowa could host a 3 or 4 series in Iowa City

No conference tournament??? UGH

As you will read in the updated original post that I started in November, there are a lot of "no's."

* NO Nonconference games

* NO mid-week games
(Rick said they will do intersquad games instead, trying to simulate a real game to give younger guys experience)

* NO Conference Tournament

* NO Fans
(may change as people get vaccinated, etc)

* NO free video broadcasts? Rick said he is going to try to have EVERY game streamed so we can watch, so we will likely see a lot of BTN Plus games ($10/month)

@BeepBeepInMyJeep
@funnyfletcher @iowaHawkeyes2323 @Row55 @SLarew @HawkeyeInCentralIowa @chonk @2bagger22 @IowaHawkeyeFBnBB4Life
@WestIAHawk

In case you missed it, this is a really good preview of the 2021 B1G season, where 4 B1G teams are projected to make the NCAA Tournament, with Iowa on the outside, looking in, predicted to finish 5th in the B1G. Link to story at end of this post.

As you can see, they write this, concerning the schedule:

The big X-factor for the Big Ten is how its modified schedule will affect its postseason chances with the selection committee. With the pandemic, Big Ten teams will play just 44 games instead of the normal 56, and they will be restricted to conference-only games. That could potentially hinder the Big Ten’s chances to get more than three teams into regionals, if the conference heavyweights beat up on each other and all finish closer to .500 overall than they normally might. It will be interesting to monitor.

Projected B1G Standings

*Teams are listed in order of projected finish

TEAM2020 RECORD
Michigan8-7
Indiana9-6
Maryland10-5
Ohio State6-8
Iowa10-5
Illinois8-5
Minnesota8-10
Nebraska7-8
Purdue7-7
Rutgers6-9
Michigan State9-6
Northwestern6-7
Penn State10-5

Projected regional teams (4): Michigan, Indiana, Maryland, Ohio State

LINK to FULL Story: https://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/...-ten-baseball-preview-case-front-runner-tight

@BeepBeepInMyJeep
@funnyfletcher @iowaHawkeyes2323 @Row55 @SLarew @HawkeyeInCentralIowa @chonk @2bagger22 @IowaHawkeyeFBnBB4Life
@WestIAHawk

In case you missed it, this is a really good preview of the 2021 B1G season, where 4 B1G teams are projected to make the NCAA Tournament, with Iowa on the outside, looking in, predicted to finish 5th in the B1G. Link to story at end of this post.

As you can see, they write this, concerning the schedule:

The big X-factor for the Big Ten is how its modified schedule will affect its postseason chances with the selection committee. With the pandemic, Big Ten teams will play just 44 games instead of the normal 56, and they will be restricted to conference-only games. That could potentially hinder the Big Ten’s chances to get more than three teams into regionals, if the conference heavyweights beat up on each other and all finish closer to .500 overall than they normally might. It will be interesting to monitor.

Projected B1G Standings

TEAM2020 RECORD
Michigan8-7
Indiana9-6
Maryland10-5
Ohio State6-8
Iowa10-5
Illinois8-5
Minnesota8-10
Nebraska7-8
Purdue7-7
Rutgers6-9
Michigan State9-6
Northwestern6-7
Penn State10-5

LINK to FULL Story: https://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/...-ten-baseball-preview-case-front-runner-tight

It almost goes without saying that I'd take such projections with a huge grain of salt. Especially if my assumption about the 4 game series' is correct, pretty much all the teams are going to have rotations made up partially, or even entirely of guys who've either never pitched, had only started in spot mid-week games, or were only starters during last years brief early season, and so only have 3 or 4 starts under their belt. Pretty much half the pitchers aren't even on tape.

I wouldn't be surprised to see one or two of the teams at the bottom, particularly MSU and Penn St., start out of the gate very strong and even sustain quite a run throughout the season.

@BeepBeepInMyJeep
@WestIAHawk @Alum-Ni

Here is the entire B1G Baseball calendar. It will be interesting to see what happens if there is bad weather; will an impacted team still get all 44 games in?

Remember, a normal schedule would be 56 games.

Reminder: NO Conference Tournament. B1G opponents only. 44 total games. 13 weekends of play. NO mid-week games. NO Fans. Hopefully every game will be streamed.

February 19-21: Opening weekend for Division I baseball.

The B1G opens its season, of course, 2 weeks later:
Week 1: March 5-7; Iowa, Michigan, Nebraska, Purdue in Round Rock, TX
Week 2: March 12-14
Week 3: March 19-21--Normal hosting schedules begin, so Iowa could host games in Iowa City
Week 4: March 26-28
Week 5: April 2-4
Week 6: April 9-11
Week 7: April 16-18
Week 8: April 23-25
Week 9: April 30-May 2
Week 10: May 7-9
Week 11: May 14-16
Week 12: May 21-23
Week 13: May 28-May 30

May 31
: Selection Monday. The NCAA Tournament field of 64 is announced.

June 4 (Friday): The 2021 NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament will begin

June 19-30, 2021: 2021 College World Series, TD Ameritrade Park | Omaha, NE

July 11-13: The 2021 MLB Draft takes place.

Iowa's complete schedule will be found here: https://hawkeyesports.com/sports/baseball/schedule/

Last edited:
@BeepBeepInMyJeep
@WestIAHawk @Alum-Ni

Here you go.

NOTE: Due to the Big Ten-only schedule and no Big Ten Tournament in 2021, the regular season champion will earn the league’s automatic bid into the NCAA Tournament.

A normal schedule would be 56 games.

February 19-21: Opening weekend for Division I baseball.

Iowa opens TWO WEEKS LATER, March 5-7, vs Michigan. They join Nebraska and Purdue in Round Rock, TX

EucnILfWgAcJymO

May 31: Selection Monday. The NCAA Tournament field of 64 is announced.

June 4 (Friday): The 2021 NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament will begin

June 19-30, 2021: 2021 College World Series, TD Ameritrade Park | Omaha, NE

July 11-13: The 2021 MLB Draft takes place.

Iowa's complete schedule (Times, TV) will be found here: https://hawkeyesports.com/sports/baseball/schedule/

Last edited:
Still a dumb move by the Big Ten. Hope I'm wrong, but it would seem only one or two Big Ten teams will make the NCAA Tournament in this format.

Reactions: WestIAHawk
Still a dumb move by the Big Ten. Hope I'm wrong, but it would seem only one or two Big Ten teams will make the NCAA Tournament in this format.

D1 baseball (PATRICK EBERT AND BURKE GRANGER) predicts 4 teams from the B1G make the NCAA Tournament: Michigan, Indiana, Maryland, Ohio State.

The full story, where every B1G team is analyzed, is here:

https://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/...-ten-baseball-preview-case-front-runner-tight

Some quick excerpts:

FEBRUARY 4, 2021
2021 Big Ten baseball preview: The case for a front-runner is tight

There isn’t a clear-cut front-runner in the Big Ten, which didn’t land a team in the D1Baseball Preseason Top 25. But that doesn’t mean the conference lacks contenders — the issue is, there are so many viable contenders that handicapping the race can almost feel like a crapshoot.

Michigan still has pieces left from its 2019 CWS Finals run along with enough emerging talent to make a run at the conference crown.

Indiana is loaded with pitching and a few impact position players, making the Hoosiers the other most obvious contender.

But Maryland, Ohio State, Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota and Nebraska all have the look of bona fide regional teams as well. This race figures to be a punishing free-for-all.

TOP 25 POLL: Florida, UCLA, and Texas Tech headline the top 25 preseason rankings

Projected standings

TEAM2020 RECORD
Michigan8-7
Indiana9-6
Maryland10-5
Ohio State6-8
Iowa10-5
Illinois8-5
Minnesota8-10
Nebraska7-8
Purdue7-7
Rutgers6-9
Michigan State9-6
Northwestern6-7
Penn State10-5

Player of the year: Maxwell Costes, 1B, Maryland
Pitcher of the year: Steven Hajjar, LHP, Michigan
Freshman of the year: Ryan Lasko, RF, Rutgers

Definitely a top heavy schedule I’d say to start the season. If the conference were smart they’d get as many of these games on BTN as possible. They wont though.
I just checked preseason #1 Florida's schedule.

Several things stood out:

* They are playing 56 games (maximum allowed)

* They are playing nonconference games, including NON Power 5 teams

* They have mid week games

Link to their schedule: https://floridagators.com/sports/baseball/schedule/2021

Absolutely, I’ll say it now. They’ll get two teams into a regional. When I could argue for 4-5 under a normal system. Sad part is that Warren and the conference leadership don’t care.

Agree.....I just don't see four getting in. Would love to be wrong, but Big Ten will get two, MAYBE three.

Absolutely, I’ll say it now. They’ll get two teams into a regional. When I could argue for 4-5 under a normal system. Sad part is that Warren and the conference leadership don’t care.
Agree.....I just don't see four getting in. Would love to be wrong, but Big Ten will get two, MAYBE three.

The SEC was way ahead of the B1G when it came to getting their FULL football season in.

And when it comes to baseball, the SEC seems to be doing everything it can to position their teams for the postseason, unlike the B1G.

Lets compare:

* Their teams will play in a conference tournament (May 25-30, 2021).
-----There is no B1G Tournament this year

* Their teams are playing 56 games (maximum allowed)
-----B1G teams are playing just 44

* Their teams are playing nonconference games, including NON Power 5 teams
-----B1G teams are playing conference opponents only

* Their teams have mid week games
-----B1G teams are not allowed this. Iowa will do intersquad scrimmages instead, where they will try to simulate a game.

And @WestIAHawk , you lazy bastard, what are your thoughts on all of this? ;)

The SEC was way ahead of the B1G when it came to getting their FULL football season in.

And when it comes to baseball, the SEC seems to be doing everything it can to position their teams for the postseason, unlike the B1G.

Lets compare:

* Their teams will play in a conference tournament (May 25-30, 2021).
-----There is no B1G Tournament this year

* Their teams are playing 56 games (maximum allowed)
-----B1G teams are playing just 44

* Their teams are playing nonconference games, including NON Power 5 teams
-----B1G teams are playing conference opponents only

* Their teams have mid week games
-----B1G teams are not allowed this. Iowa will do intersquad scrimmages instead, where they will try to simulate a game.

And @WestIAHawk , you lazy bastard, what are your thoughts on all of this? ;)
My thoughts? Atleast we'll have baseball! Hopefully fans will be able to attend. I'm excited to kick this season off. It would be nice to play the midweek series to get some other guys experience but we do have coach Heller he will have em ready. He is definitely ready to roll and fired up to get going.

Go Hawks!

Reactions: Franisdaman
Warren really needs to be re-evaluated by the school ADs and Presidents. He has not done a great job.
Incredibly bad timing to bring in a brand new Commissioner right before the start of a pandemic

my god, he has badly fumbled everything he has touched

I will never understand why he did not consult w/ other Power 5 Commissioners to see why they thought it was ok to play football. You just don't cancel the B1G football season when the Big 12, SEC, and ACC are moving full steam ahead. And remember: the PAC 12 Commissioner followed Warren's lead and what happened to him? He's out of a job.

And now with baseball, why is the SEC playing a normal 56 game schedule while, AGAIN, the B1G is being so cautious? What Is the SEC doing that the B1G is not doing?

B1G fans should be pissed about all of this.

Incredibly bad timing to bring in a brand new Commissioner right before the start of a pandemic

my god, he has badly fumbled everything he has touched

I will never understand why he did not consult w/ other Power 5 Commissioners to see why they thought it was ok to play football. You just don't cancel the B1G football season when the Big 12, SEC, and ACC are moving full steam ahead. And remember: the PAC 12 Commissioner followed Warren's lead and what happened to him? He's out of a job.

And now with baseball, why is the SEC playing a normal 56 game schedule while, AGAIN, the B1G is being so cautious? What Is the SEC doing that the B1G is not doing?

B1G fans should be pissed about all of this.

Just wait until the conference gets two or god forbid one team into regionals.

I haven't looked up many schedules, but the ones I have look pretty normal in terms of who they're playing and where early in the season. That the Big Ten feels the need to go down a completely different path is bizarre even under the circumstances.

I haven't looked up many schedules, but the ones I have look pretty normal in terms of who they're playing and where early in the season. That the Big Ten feels the need to go down a completely different path is bizarre even under the circumstances.

It hurts the conference, and the B1G needs to be asked some tough questions on it.

It hurts the conference, and the B1G needs to be asked some tough questions on it.

The issue is really with the Big 10 presidents, especially in some of the states with the worst approaches to COVID and restrictions. Many of the presidents think sports are far too important and would probably have been happy if the Big 10 were like the Ivy League and not playing sports this year at all. I would guess the only way some of the presidents agreed to any spring sports was this dumb conference-only approach. It's not based in reason or science. And it ends up just hurting the teams.

If Warren is to blame, it's for not being able to convince the presidents otherwise. My personal opinion, but outdoor sports like baseball, softball, track should continue normally with zero restrictions. Outdoor sports are near zero-risk. None of what the Big 10 is doing makes sense.

Will fans be allowed at games in Round Rock

crap.....no fans allowed

BIG TEN CENTRAL TEXAS CHALLENGE COMES TO DELL DIAMOND MARCH 5-8
Four-Day, Eight-Game Event Features Iowa, Michigan, Nebraska and Purdue

ROUND ROCK, Texas
– The Round Rock Express, in partnership with Peak Events, LLC, the Big Ten Conference and Host Partner City of Round Rock, are excited to announce the Big Ten Central Texas Challenge, a four-day, eight-game baseball series at Dell Diamond from March 5-8. The one-of-its-kind event is set to feature the Iowa Hawkeyes, Michigan Wolverines, Nebraska Cornhuskers and Purdue Boilermakers.

In accordance with Big Ten Conference guidelines, no fans will be allowed to enter Dell Diamond. Broadcast information is expected to be announced in the coming days.

The Big Ten Central Texas Challenge will feature two four-game series as Nebraska faces off against Purdue while Michigan battles Iowa. The Cornhuskers and Boilermakers kick things off with a Friday afternoon showdown. The two universities will meet for a Saturday doubleheader prior to Michigan and Iowa beginning their four-game slate. Nebraska and Purdue conclude their series on Sunday prior to the Wolverines and Hawkeyes clashing in a doubleheader. Michigan and Iowa close out their four-game set on Monday.

For the pair of doubleheaders, the first game will be seven innings in length while the second contest will be a traditional nine-inning affair. The second game will follow approximately 45 minutes after the conclusion of the first contest.

A full schedule for the Big Ten Central Texas Challenge is as follows (designated home team is listed second):

Friday, March 5
Game 1: Nebraska vs Purdue

Saturday, March 6
Game 2: Nebraska vs Purdue (doubleheader)
Game 3: Nebraska vs Purdue (doubleheader)
Game 4: Michigan vs Iowa

Sunday, March 7
Game 5: Nebraska vs Purdue
Game 6: Michigan vs Iowa (doubleheader)
Game 7: Michigan vs Iowa (doubleheader)

Monday, March 8
Game 8: Michigan vs Iowa

“We are so proud that a major sports organization like the Big Ten Conference would choose Dell Diamond to host such a marquee baseball event,” Express President Chris Almendarez said. “We have proven that we are a national leader in operating events safely and responsibly, and we can’t wait to welcome the Big Ten to Round Rock. This tournament was a true collaborative effort that would not have been possible without the excellent team at Peak Events.”

The Big Ten Central Texas Challenge comes on the heels of the second annual Round Rock Classic, set to take place at Dell Diamond from February 26-28. With the City of Round Rock serving as the Host Partner, Peak Events and the Round Rock Express have partnered together to host some of the top teams in college baseball over the last two seasons. Peak Events also manages the Frisco Classic at Dr Pepper Ballpark.

“It has been an honor to help set this up and to be able to provide a warm opportunity for these teams to travel south and play baseball outdoors in a world class venue like Dell Diamond,” Vice President of Peak Events Nathan Wooldridge said. “Fans tuning in around the country will see first-hand just how powerful our partnership with the Round Rock Express and City of Round Rock is.”

Applications for media credentials to cover the four-day college tournament are now being accepted. To apply for credentials, please click here. For questions or issues with submitting the online form, contact Round Rock Express Manager, PR/Communications Andrew Felts via email at afelts@rrexpress.com or by phone at (512) 238-2213. Please note, existing Round Rock Express or Round Rock Classic credentials will not be valid for the Big Ten Central Texas Challenge at Dell Diamond.

Michigan is very green. They lost a ton from last years team. Iowa is getting them at the right time. Only wild cards for Iowa are Starting pitching and The lay off.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT