ADVERTISEMENT

We have the most underachieving recruiting staff in the country

ChuckThomas12

Team MVP
Jan 15, 2016
Western Iowa
This is bullsh*t. I'm so sick and tired of our fans accepting this by using the same old tired worn out excuses.. "Blah blah we've never recruited well, we aren't a blueblood, we are better at developing players" and on and on..

I see the dipsh*t nub fans swarm our board throwing their recruit list in our face lately, and while we fire back with "40-10" and "3 of the last 4", I'm gonna tell ya we won't keep continuing to kick their ass at this pace. It just won't happen. Stars do matter. Imagine what we would do with their recruiting class. We would compete for a Big Ten title on a semi regular basis if we finished around the Top 15-25 each year the way that we develop our guys.

If you think we can continue to roll over those red headed step sisters to the west with a roster full of 5.5 & 5.6 players, you're gonna be sadly mistaken. Keep dreaming. While we promote in house with more of the same Ferentz brand, they go out and get that DB coach who is an animal on the west coast & then Diaco who I WOULD LOVE to have @ Iowa. There is no sustainability to this method, eventually we are gonna square up vs nubby when they have a QB that isn't injured or mildly retarded, as they are stockpiling rivals100 & 250 talent at that position and Armstong has graduated.

Hell yes it's fun to laugh at them and beating nubby will always be a huge thing for us, but I'm here to tell you we can't keep this up by striking out time and time again on the recruiting trail...putting forth minimal effort during the 'in season' period...and doing all the typical Ferentz brand bullsh*t that leads to having a class ranked 60th at the end of the year!! THIS IS IOWA AND WE DESERVE BETTER - WE CAN DO BETTER!!!

We need to be getting the best assistants money can buy. We need to win head to head recruiting matchups vs these rivals. We need to go toe to toe with dominant teams on the trail and pull some serious talent off the coast, not scrambling to flip MAC level athletes in January.

We are Iowa. We deserve better. There is just too much complacency on this board when it comes to settling for these severely mediocre recruiting classes that a head coach with 1,000% job security is giving us. We deserve better. Kirk is a good man, but he has our program in cruise control.

I have heard from a coaches mouth that they consider their peers to be Indiana, Purdue, Illinois, & Minnesota. Not OSU or UM. If they are better than the former, they consider themselves successful. There lies our problem or our successes, depends which side of the tracks you view this from.

Nebraska's class this year is right around where their usual classes rank while Iowa's is slightly above where it usually ranks. If you say the tides are going to change because of this class, why haven't they already?

Reactions: Historicames
This is bullsh*t. I'm so sick and tired of our fans accepting this by using the same old tired worn out excuses.. "Blah blah we've never recruited well, we aren't a blueblood, we are better at developing players" and on and on..

I see the dipsh*t nub fans swarm our board throwing their recruit list in our face lately, and while we fire back with "40-10" and "3 of the last 4", I'm gonna tell ya we won't keep continuing to kick their ass at this pace. It just won't happen. Stars do matter. Imagine what we would do with their recruiting class. We would compete for a Big Ten title on a semi regular basis if we finished around the Top 15-25 each year the way that we develop our guys.

If you think we can continue to roll over those red headed step sisters to the west with a roster full of 5.5 & 5.6 players, you're gonna be sadly mistaken. Keep dreaming. While we promote in house with more of the same Ferentz brand, they go out and get that DB coach who is an animal on the west coast & then Diaco who I WOULD LOVE to have @ Iowa. There is no sustainability to this method, eventually we are gonna square up vs nubby when they have a QB that isn't injured or mildly retarded, as they are stockpiling rivals100 & 250 talent at that position and Armstong has graduated.

Hell yes it's fun to laugh at them and beating nubby will always be a huge thing for us, but I'm here to tell you we can't keep this up by striking out time and time again on the recruiting trail...putting forth minimal effort during the 'in season' period...and doing all the typical Ferentz brand bullsh*t that leads to having a class ranked 60th at the end of the year!! THIS IS IOWA AND WE DESERVE BETTER - WE CAN DO BETTER!!!

We need to be getting the best assistants money can buy. We need to win head to head recruiting matchups vs these rivals. We need to go toe to toe with dominant teams on the trail and pull some serious talent off the coast, not scrambling to flip MAC level athletes in January.

We are Iowa. We deserve better. There is just too much complacency on this board when it comes to settling for these severely mediocre recruiting classes that a head coach with 1,000% job security is giving us. We deserve better. Kirk is a good man, but he has our program in cruise control.
In the end it's the recruits choice. You act like Iowa doesn't recruit at all.

Wow, yet another post on how bad our recruiting is. Couldn't this have been added to one of the other 1,400 other posts on the subject? Funny how some complain to the bad recruiting, and the boring and predictable style our team plays, yet don't have a problem with there boring, yet predictable posts that they repeat, over and over and over and over again. God I'll be happy when The Walking Dead is back, at least I have something more interesting to do then listen to this drivel.

I have heard from a coaches mouth that they consider their peers to be Indiana, Purdue, Illinois, & Minnesota. Not OSU or UM. If they are better than the former, they consider themselves successful. There lies our problem or our successes, depends which side of the tracks you view this from.

That truly breaks my heart. For someone who bleeds Hawkeye football, travels to every bowl matchup, designates their Fall schedule around home & away games.....that makes me sick to my stomach. It most definitely explains the lack of motivation in regards to recruiting, though. What a disgusting mindset.

Thanks for putting us in our place. That made a lot of sense, can't wait for the next post saying the exact same thing. JFC!

JFC - stand idly by and just accept the lack of effort then.

Nebraska's class this year is right around where their usual classes rank while Iowa's is slightly above where it usually ranks. If you say the tides are going to change because of this class, why haven't they already?

This isn't about Nubby, there is plenty of talk about them on this board already. We are tied 3-3 vs them since their joining our conference, but let's not act like we haven't been helped by their laughable QB situation. There is no sustainability by continuing to haul in classes in the 50-60 range vs their much better recruiting. Don't lie to yourself, we'd absolutely LOVE to have their prospects, and that's what this is about - better recruiting means better results. You're lying to yourself if you think we can continue to kick their ass by recruiting at this level. I follow college football, and especially Big Ten recruiting, very closely...and I'm here to tell you they are slowly upgrading on all facets. While we stand by and get commits from players whose biggest offer is, not always but most often, the University of Iowa.

In the end it's the recruits choice. You act like Iowa doesn't recruit at all.

Recruiting is all about relationships. We put forth minimal effort, and get average results. You making excuses for the coaching staff is essentially part of the problem.

J...

F...

C...

JFC.

Just sit back and accept it then, right? Why would we give a sh*t about better recruiting, we're Iowa..we can develop players. Right??

Wow, yet another post on how bad our recruiting is. Couldn't this have been added to one of the other 1,400 other posts on the subject? Funny how some complain to the bad recruiting, and the boring and predictable style our team plays, yet don't have a problem with there boring, yet predictable posts that they repeat, over and over and over and over again. God I'll be happy when The Walking Dead is back, at least I have something more interesting to do then listen to this drivel.

Another pitiful fan that has accepted mediocrity. "Boo hoo, another post about our shitty recruiting". Go get a Kleenex. People like you make me ashamed of this fan base. If you aren't called a troll for questioning the minimal efforts put forth by this staff, you're called a cyclone or some other insult. Keep making excuses and complaining about redundant posts, instead of addressing the real problem with this program....which is the SERIOUS LACK OF RECRUITING EFFORT AND RESULTS. Go find a Walking Dead message board, flip on some tv or bury your head in the sand.

I totally agree, these posts are getting old

If I hold my breath and stomp my feet, will that help?

And if you let Nebraska fans on this board bother you, sounds like a you problem.

Oh, well my apologies. I would hate to question our staff at the expense of a redundant thread.

Lets just sit quietly back and accept it then, shall we?

You act like you have any clue how hard they are recruiting. You don't, and nice job patting yourself on the back for all the money you spend on the team. Maybe it is time you find a new team if you get this worked up over college kids playing a game.

God for all our problems with recruiting it's amazing we ever win a damn game

OP's dream head coach
ron-zook.jpg

That truly breaks my heart. For someone who bleeds Hawkeye football, travels to every bowl matchup, designates their Fall schedule around home & away games.....that makes me sick to my stomach. It most definitely explains the lack of motivation in regards to recruiting, though. What a disgusting mindset.

JFC - stand idly by and just accept the lack of effort then.

This isn't about Nubby, there is plenty of talk about them on this board already. We are tied 3-3 vs them since their joining our conference, but let's not act like we haven't been helped by their laughable QB situation. There is no sustainability by continuing to haul in classes in the 50-60 range vs their much better recruiting. Don't lie to yourself, we'd absolutely LOVE to have their prospects, and that's what this is about - better recruiting means better results. You're lying to yourself if you think we can continue to kick their ass by recruiting at this level. I follow college football, and especially Big Ten recruiting, very closely...and I'm here to tell you they are slowly upgrading on all facets. While we stand by and get commits from players whose biggest offer is, not always but most often, the University of Iowa.

Recruiting is all about relationships. We put forth minimal effort, and get average results. You making excuses for the coaching staff is essentially part of the problem.

Just sit back and accept it then, right? Why would we give a sh*t about better recruiting, we're Iowa..we can develop players. Right??

Another pitiful fan that has accepted mediocrity. "Boo hoo, another post about our shitty recruiting". Go get a Kleenex. People like you make me ashamed of this fan base. If you aren't called a troll for questioning the minimal efforts put forth by this staff, you're called a cyclone or some other insult. Keep making excuses and complaining about redundant posts, instead of addressing the real problem with this program....which is the SERIOUS LACK OF RECRUITING EFFORT AND RESULTS. Go find a Walking Dead message board, flip on some tv or bury your head in the sand.
Only thing that helps the subpar recruiting is that the out of conference schedule is always a joke. The past 2 years, our Big10 schedule was very favorable. Every year we should be 3-0 going into Big10 play. Most often, we do not, because our team isn't any more talented than the weak competition that we play. Stanford and Florida showed how bad we lack playmakers and talent at the skilled positions. Our current recruiting class doesn't look like it's closing that talent gap. Will there be surprises from this group of kids. Maybe. But besides Espenesa there are no real homeruns on this class and that's a major problem if we expect to be championship caliber.

Only thing that helps the subpar recruiting is that the out of conference schedule is always a joke. The past 2 years, our Big10 schedule was very favorable. Every year we should be 3-0 going into Big10 play. Most often, we do not, because our team isn't any more talented than the weak competition that we play. Stanford and Florida showed how bad we lack playmakers and talent at the skilled positions. Our current recruiting class doesn't look like it's closing that talent gap. Will there be surprises from this group of kids. Maybe. But besides Espenesa there are no real homeruns on this class and that's a major problem if we expect to be championship caliber.
You lost me at favorable big ten schedule. Playing both west and east champs, one on the road, plus Michigan....I beg to differ. Avoiding MSU ended up being good thing for SOS

raw

Just had 3 guys in Sr bowl and a healthy Kittle would of been 4 not a one of them played on the award winning oline. Jewell is near the top as best Lb in nation next year and 4 other guys rank high for next years Sr. Which includes Wadley Ect.....

Reactions: iowa surfer
You are the one who brought Nebraska's recruiting class up first, so I responded. You didn't answer my question either. If Iowa's class is slightly ahead of where it usually is and Nebraska's class is right around where it normally is, why will the future results be different?

God for all our problems with recruiting it's amazing we ever win a damn game

OP's dream head coach
ron-zook.jpg

I'll bet you thought these were some witty replies, huh..

You act like you have any clue how hard they are recruiting. You don't, and nice job patting yourself on the back for all the money you spend on the team. Maybe it is time you find a new team if you get this worked up over college kids playing a game.

Tough to find a more worthless response than this, folks..

If it gets too tough, find another team? You make me sick. And even a simpleton like yourself should be able to see the lack of effort our staff exercises in recruiting.

I like a good majority of the current commits, but the misses and the fiasco in September has shown a lack of understanding how to battle and keep top flight recruits. There isn't any excuse you can give for a staff and head coach that has been at the same school for so long. These problems should have been addressed and fixed years ago. Why Kirk still sucks at recruiting after this long is baffling.

He's lucky that he gets some nice two and three star kids that work hard, but he'll never get to that next level and battle for for the N.C. until he can recruit and beat other teams for receivers, speedsters, and athletes more than once every four or five years.

If they don't hire tremendous recruiters for the openings they have, then it shows how far Kirk is out of the loop on things. I'm not in fire Kirk party right now, but bad recruiting classes won't help the overall record in the future, big ten titles, or win bowl games. All it takes is a bad class or 2 and your looking at 6-6 or worse seasons.

Watching Iowa Fans eat their own...

1ilkj1.gif

Reactions: Coach Big Al
You didn't answer my question either. If Iowa's class is slightly ahead of where it usually is and Nebraska's class is right around where it normally is, why will the future results be different?

Because there is no sustainability in that trend. You're not one of those goobers who believes stars don't matter, are you?

I like a good majority of the current commits, but the misses and the fiasco in September has shown a lack of understanding how to battle and keep top flight recruits. There isn't any excuse you can give for a staff and head coach that has been at the same school for so long. These problems should have been addressed and fixed years ago. Why Kirk still sucks at recruiting after this long is baffling.

He's lucky that he gets some nice two and three star kids that work hard, but he'll never get to that next level and battle for for the N.C. until he can recruit and beat other teams for receivers, speedsters, and athletes more than once every four or five years.

If they don't hire tremendous recruiters for the openings they have, then it shows how far Kirk is out of the loop on things. I'm not in fire Kirk party right now, but bad recruiting classes won't help the overall record in the future, big ten titles, or win bowl games. All it takes is a bad class or 2 and your looking at 6-6 or worse seasons.

We have the money and the resources to hire a big time coach/recruiter. But will Kirk? Doubtful. Maybe try and get a coach with ties to the West Coast? Doubtful. Lot of talent there. One can dream and hope.

Reactions: ChuckThomas12
The good news: Only 12 Teams in the entire country have a FIVE STAR commit, we are one of those
More good news: We are ranked #33 based on average stars (3.07)
Neutral news: We are ranked #56 based on points, which is not too far off our KF average
The bad news: We are far and away the worst of those dozen in point above about FIVE STAR Teams
More bad news: Alabama has basically as many FOUR STAR recruits as Iowas has total recruits

Reactions: Floyd_Of_Rosedale
Because there is no sustainability in that trend. You're not one of those goobers who believes stars don't matter, are you?
No, I think stars matter. I don't agree, however, that stars are the end all be all. The trend you say is unsustainable has been going on KF's entire tenure minus one top ten class. I don't think I need to name all the accomplishments he and his team have earned during that time. That doesn't mean I don't have my criticisms of the program. I agree that recruiting does need to get better. Despite this, I like to look at the bigger picture, and I think this is a really solid class. When looking at recruiting, I like to break it down by what I worry about at Iowa. The coaching staff as shown they can develop very good offensive and defensive linemen no matter how many stars they have. Phil Parker has put many defensive backs in the NFL who were two/three stars. Iowa also has a good track record of turning low rated linebackers into NFL players. Same with tight ends. Iowa has usually been solid at quarterback as well as running back. Wide receiver is the position I worry about the most, but I really like Brandon Smith in this class. I wish Iowa got all 4 and 5 star recruits, but the staff has shown they can find and develop solid players at most positions.

So chuck how is bitching about it in another retread of a retread post gonna get anything done? It seems like you guys doing all the constant complaining about recruiting, nepotism, bad coaching, etc, etc are really getting stuff done about it aren't you. I guess I'm just not a real fan because I'm content with having a clean program run by a decent human being. Gothca. I'll tuck my tail and go hide now.

We seriously lost recruiting when KF hired Brian as OC. We had a chance to bring in an experienced offensive play caller that could recruit, but KF failed miserably. In two years they will both be gone. Too bad hawk fans are going to have to sit through this mess.

Iowa had an experienced offensive play caller with serious ties to a hotbed first recruiting- it didn't work so a change was made. It's a decent class. You failed miserably in this post.

Reactions: BCRoss89
So chuck how is bitching about it in another retread of a retread post gonna get anything done? It seems like you guys doing all the constant complaining about recruiting, nepotism, bad coaching, etc, etc are really getting stuff done about it aren't you. I guess I'm just not a real fan because I'm content with having a clean program run by a decent human being. Gothca. I'll tuck my tail and go hide now.
So,by not bitching and complaining and letting our voices hear, do you think there would be change? Some fans expect more than the status quo. Most fans have the expectation not to lose to FCS schools. Some fans expect a prolific offense and not the garbage we seem to put out despite always having a pretty good offensive line. Some fans expect a vertical passing attack. Some fans expected us to cash in on our 12-2 season and see an uptick in recruiting.

No....don't come on and make things up. Not one single coach on the planet would say this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT