ADVERTISEMENT

Well, hell. Now what? (Dog bit me) - 2nd Update: #353

Those who think that replacing the dog lessens the risk of a bite are similarly wrong.
Come on man. If you want to say that there is no guarantee that any dog won't bite, that's fine. But to suggest that a dog with a history of biting is no more likely to bite in the future than a dog without a history of biting is not reasonable. Past behavior, whether it is in humans or animals, is probably the best indicator of future behavior.

Come on man. If you want to say that there is no guarantee that any dog won't bite, that's fine. But to suggest that a dog with a history of biting is no more likely to bite in the future than a dog without a history of biting is not reasonable. Past behavior, whether it is in humans or animals, is probably the best indicator of future behavior.

Exactly this. It's a bell that cannot be unrung.

And to the "I can't believe people would give up on a family pet so fast" crew. I love my dogs, but they are not "fur-babies". They are pets. My actual babies are my top priority, and a dog that is now proven to be a biter isn't a risk I will keep in my house. For the safety of my children. Period.

It shouldn’t be to tough to find it a home. Like others have mentioned, a home without kids or another dog and this dog will most likely thrive.
The dog just bit the shit out of its owner. It wasn't a snap or a nip. That's not normal dog behavior. At some point it will bite the next owner as well.

A dog that has been professionally treated with operant conditioning is no more likely to bite than any other dog. That’s just a fact.

Whether a dog is a candidate or not is a professional decision. Whether a family can commit to it is a personal decision.

The dog just bit the shit out of its owner. It wasn't a snap or a nip. That's not normal dog behavior. At some point it will bite the next owner as well.
You seem to know a lot about a dog I bet you never even knew before this thread was created.
I suppose you’ll say you’ve had dogs your whole life as well so you know everything about them.
This dogs only 2 years old and can change with the right environment. Hell it could change with the same environment if someone wanted to put themselves through the training and risks involved.

• Sad
Reactions: blhawk and Pinehawk
Here's our discussion with the veterinarian/trainer that is tied to the training company we used.

Positive Considerations:
- Wrestling with Joey is a non-factor in this. Overall, he has been very well trained.
- She asked if he's had injuries. Sometimes that can be the culprit to the reaction. We said no.
- "IF" we didn't have a child in the home additional training could definitely be a viable approach. She (the vet/trainer) has seen a lot of success and rehabilitated dogs. However, see below:

Negative Considerations:
- Vet said this almost certainly wasn't a resource guarding issue (which stinks because we can train him out of that).
- Since we don't know what was stressing him out, it makes this very difficult to retrain. What behavior are we trying to fix? We don't know.
- Turns out, this was the 2nd time (I was unaware of the first) that he lunged out. Joey did it to my wife last fall when I was out of town when she tried to get a sticker-burr out of his paw. (Level 2--no skin break, she had forgotten).
- Mine was a Level 4/5 bite. Vet does not recommend rehoming for anything above a 3. Now we know, without question, what Joey is capable of.
- Vet agrees with our primary concern being our son and his friends' safety (hence why no additional training works for us). We can't live with ourselves if something ever happened.

Results:
So, it turns out the breeder is unable to take Joey after all. Her husband said no. Therefore, I will be euthanizing Joey later this week. I will be going at this one alone and I'm not looking forward to having to do this a SECOND time in under a year. Putting down my Jack about broke me. This one will break my son's heart. Just watching my wife hang up the call, hold Joey and bawl was enough.

jq8muGO.jpg

Hasn't even been 12 months:

Here's our discussion with the veterinarian/trainer that is tied to the training company we used.

Positive Considerations:
- Wrestling with Joey is a non-factor in this. Overall, he has been very well trained.
- She asked if he's had injuries. Sometimes that can be the culprit to the reaction. We said no.
- "IF" we didn't have a child in the home additional training could definitely be a viable approach. She (the vet/trainer) has seen a lot of success and rehabilitated dogs. However, see below:

Negative Considerations:
- Vet said this almost certainly wasn't a resource guarding issue (which stinks because we can train him out of that).
- Since we don't know what was stressing him out, it makes this very difficult to retrain. What behavior are we trying to fix? We don't know.
- Turns out, this was the 2nd time (I was unaware of the first) that he lunged out. Joey did it to my wife last fall when I was out of town when she tried to get a sticker-burr out of his paw. (Level 2--no skin break, she had forgotten).
- Mine was a Level 4/5 bite. Vet does not recommend rehoming for anything above a 3. Now we know, without question, what Joey is capable of.
- Vet agrees with our primary concern being our son and his friends' safety (hence why no additional training works for us). We can't live with ourselves if something ever happened.

Results:
So, it turns out the breeder is unable to take Joey after all. Her husband said no. Therefore, I will be euthanizing Joey later this week. I will be going at this one alone and I'm not looking forward to having to do this a SECOND time in under a year. Putting down my Jack about broke me. This one will break my son's heart. Just watching my wife hang up the call, hold Joey and bawl was enough.

jq8muGO.jpg

Sorry to hear the bad news. It’s to bad we couldn’t tell our pets why it was happening.

Reactions: alaskanseminole

Positive Considerations:

Negative Considerations:

Results:

jq8muGO.jpg

**** brother. I am really sorry to read this. Your son is in for a tough night. What are you going to tell him?

Positive Considerations:

Negative Considerations:

Results:

jq8muGO.jpg

Damn man, I'm terribly sorry you're going through this. You approached this situation better than anyone here likely would have and went down every possible avenue. I wish all the best to you and your family and thank you for being a role model for all of us with pets.

Positive Considerations:

Negative Considerations:

Results:

jq8muGO.jpg

Looks like you could not have handled it any better. You reached out to the real experts and they told you the information you needed to confirm the difficult decision. Hearing the breeder not interested and prior bite of wife helps a bit make the choice “easier”. I don’t envy you at all, but it is the prudent decision. As tempting as it may be to still re home to a better situation, the experts seem to dictate why that is a bad idea and I am sure you would feel bad if you later found out he hurt someone else very bad.

**** brother. I am really sorry to read this. Your son is in for a tough night. What are you going to tell him?
What any good dad would, he's going to live on a farm and run free (or something along those lines)
Damn man, I'm terribly sorry you're going through this. You approached this situation better than anyone here likely would have and went down every possible avenue. I wish all the best to you and your family and thank you for being a role model for all of us with pets.
Turns out, our vet doesn't perform behavioral euthanasians, so I'll have to find someone else. The owner of the dog we're watching (Joey's best pal) gets home Wednesday. She's a single lady (pediatrician). Joey stays with her whenever we go out of town. My wife wants to ask her if she'll take him (with full disclosure first) before I schedule. She loves Joey and has never had any issues.

I told her I will schedule regardless for Thursday and cancel if she wants to take him.

You seem to know a lot about a dog I bet you never even knew before this thread was created.
I suppose you’ll say you’ve had dogs your whole life as well so you know everything about them.
This dogs only 2 years old and can change with the right environment. Hell it could change with the same environment if someone wanted to put themselves through the training and risks involved.
You're right in that I have owned dogs my whole life. I don't take any of this lightly.. I've also had to put my own dog of 13 yrs down just 3 weeks ago. Physically she was ok, but her dementia had reached a point where there was no quality of life for either of us. I went through life and death (literally) with her. My heart is broken. I feel for the OP and what he and his family are going through. With that said, this is a dangerous animal and there are no less horrible solutions than humane euthanasia.

Reactions: Tom Paris

Positive Considerations:

Negative Considerations:

Results:

jq8muGO.jpg

Crap. Sorry to hear but the professionals giving you the same end direction has to make it a bit easier of a pill to swallow. The right decision isn't always the easy one.

Positive Considerations:

Negative Considerations:

Results:

jq8muGO.jpg

I'm sorry. This is one of those moments where you wish you didn't own a pet. I just lost mine a few weeks ago. My heart breaks for you and your family.

Positive Considerations:

Negative Considerations:

Results:

jq8muGO.jpg

Sorry you’re going through this. We had to put down our elder puggle in January. He was the best fvcking dog, and I loved him. I’m tearing up now as I type this. T’s and Ps truly.

Positive Considerations:

Negative Considerations:

Results:

jq8muGO.jpg

Damn man, I'm sorry.

Reactions: TennNole17

Positive Considerations:

Negative Considerations:

Results:

jq8muGO.jpg

Sorry to hear that. You did everything you possibly could have done to avoid it. Hard as it will be, be with him until the end. 😥

Bummer, hats off for being responsible. That said, if euthanizing the dog is as devastating as you seem to indicate, there is a reasonable alternative. Despite your vet's recommendation not to rehome anything above a 3, you don't have to follow their recommendation. The breeder would have been a great outcome if they were willing, but why not someone else?

My guess is there are plenty of people who would be willing to take the dog even with the full disclosure. It might take a bit of time and effort to find a responsible person with the right circumstances, but I doubt it'd be that difficult.

Bummer, hats off for being responsible. That said, if euthanizing the dog is as devastating as you seem to indicate, there is a reasonable alternative. Despite your vet's recommendation not to rehome anything above a 3, you don't have to follow their recommendation. The breeder would have been a great outcome if they were willing, but why not someone else?

My guess is there are plenty of people who would be willing to take the dog even with the full disclosure. It might take a bit of time and effort to find a responsible person with the right circumstances, but I doubt it'd be that difficult.

They did re-home some of Michael Vicks dogs. I would have no idea how to get to people like that though. Maybe contact some animal activist groups?

Reactions: ThorneStockton

Just take him out to some nature preserve a few hours away and let him loose.

See Post #217 - We're going to at least ask the owner of the dog we're sitting for. She's been watching Joe since he was 6 months old.

Positive Considerations:

Negative Considerations:

Results:

jq8muGO.jpg

This posts kind of sucks now that we know Joey's fate. Hopefully the lady that dog sits him will take him.

Another thing that will help is we have our 11month old, mama's boy, Joey James:

Positive Considerations:

Negative Considerations:

Results:

jq8muGO.jpg

This brought a literal tear to my eye. Sometimes life just sucks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT