ADVERTISEMENT

Wes Hand

The most afraid I have ever been at a sporting match is when the Hawkeyes wrestled Minnesota, and for the final heavyweight match West Hand was out on the mat and Brock Lesnar ran out of the tunnel at him. Lesnar look like an animal, like some kind of bulked up demon, I was seriously fearful for Wes's life at that point. I had never seen Lesnar up to that point. He was unbelievable in his physique.

The most afraid I have ever been at a sporting match is when the Hawkeyes wrestled Minnesota, and for the final heavyweight match West Hand was out on the mat and Brock Lesnar ran out of the tunnel at him. Lesnar look like an animal, like some kind of bulked up demon, I was seriously fearful for Wes's life at that point. I had never seen Lesnar up to that point. He was unbelievable in his physique.
and he beat him.

should have beat him at NCAAs too.

Wes Hand is a BA

Didn’t Wes run up to meet Brock on Minnys side of the mat too instead of the middle?

and he beat him.

should have beat him at NCAAs too.

Wes Hand is a BA
My recollection is that Wes got stuck in the initial meeting in the dual. Gable was broadcasting the meet and made a statement as to how Iowa was in good shape with the veteran Hand as the Hwt. Then Lesnar walks out and Gable just says, "Oh, my!" Then Hand gets stuck. I think Hand won later on that year, then lost at NCAAs as you state. Am I wrong on this?

Reactions: grapplefann
My recollection is that Wes got stuck in the initial meeting in the dual. Gable was broadcasting the meet and made a statement as to how Iowa was in good shape with the veteran Hand as the Hwt. Then Lesnar walks out and Gable just says, "Oh, my!" Then Hand gets stuck. I think Hand won later on that year, then lost at NCAAs as you state. Am I wrong on this?
I remembered correctly, https://www.google.com/search?clien...ate=ive&vld=cid:f56f6b94,vid:cDRBQImdsL0,st:0

Reactions: Gusaford
I was there as well.

Wasn't it national duals or something?

Reactions: el dub
in 1999 yes Lesnar beat Hand 6-0 in Carver

I read your post as you were at Minnesota. I dont know why. sorry. Wes beat him 5-3 in 2000 at Minnesota.

I remember Gable was awestruck on the mic when he saw Lesner for the first time.
As was just about everybody watching.
He was like one of those really muscular bulls out there just charging guys.

Was there an announcement or something? Is he going to be their head coach?
Im not good at sharing links but it is on the Pleasant Valley Wrestling Club, Iowa facebook site as well as IA Wrestling. It reports Wes as an addition to the coaching staff but does not make clear if assistant or head coach.

Im not good at sharing links but it is on the Pleasant Valley Wrestling Club, Iowa facebook site as well as IA Wrestling. It reports Wes as an addition to the coaching staff but does not make clear if assistant or head coach.
Oh nice you must follow PV very closely.

PV is like the rich white kid school of the Quad Cities. Wes is going to be recruiting Bettendorf kids I'm sure. Nothing new for that area

Reactions: Sandor45
Anybody heard who's going to be the Lisbon coach?
Edit: Just saw it.

Lol this picture could easily have the background swapped out and would make a believable OWI arrest photo.

All jokes aside I've heard good things about his first few weeks with the program and it seems as though he's really excited to take the reigns and hold Lisbon wrestling to the expected standard.

Reactions: ping72 and el dub
Lol this picture could easily have the background swapped out and would make a believable OWI arrest photo.

All jokes aside I've heard good things about his first few weeks with the program and it seems as though he's really excited to take the reins and hold Lisbon wrestling to the expected standard.
I was thinking the same thing. Saw the photo and guessed it was the outgoing coach’s mug shot. Sorry..

Reactions: ping72
You wouldn’t happen to know a guy named Hannum?
One of my best friends. He was my workout partner outside of team practice, pushed each other hard. We wrestled after school most every day in the offseason. We had alot of fun too and amazingly for the most part stayed out of trouble.

• Love
Reactions: IAChief32
One of my best friends. He was my workout partner outside of team practice, pushed each other hard. We wrestled after school most every day in the offseason. We had alot of fun too and amazingly for the most part stayed out of trouble.

Stayed out of trouble? Jeff? I don’t believe you lol. He was my wrestling coach down in Tucson. Small world.

Reactions: sdvike
Your first sentence is dumb. Not even remotely true.
Lol….. not to get off topic, but PV does draw from mostly a middle to high socioeconomic status of students than the other schools in the area. I would say their free and reduced lunch is much smaller than the other schools, including Bettendorf.

Reactions: WildTurk
Lol….. not to get off topic, but PV does draw from mostly a middle to high socioeconomic status of students than the other schools in the area. I would say their free and reduced lunch is much smaller than the other schools, including Bettendorf.
The "rich white kids" statement is wrong. PV has a lot of Indians and other ethnicities that live in its school district.

Reactions: HIWILLE
When I went to school, Bettendorf was the rich white school and PV was a 2A, mostly farm kids' school. Now it's rich suburbanites, apparently. This transition took the better part of 40 years. When I was in school, Dubuque Wahlert, Des Moines Dowling, and Davenport Assumption were the only schools recruiting, and Assumption was pretty new to that game.

Yeah when I went there it was about the smallest 4A football school and a mid size 3a wrestling school. It was probably 75% white collar families and 25% blue collar families. I probably had the reputation even then of being the rich white kid school and it was at least very white but many of us had a bit of a working class mentality.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT