ADVERTISEMENT

What’s you MiLB team?

Hell yeah, I did. Can’t find the thread, but I gave it high praise on here.
The only one I like better from last year is the TwT where I called out Jamie Pollard for being a spineless twatwaffle (unfortunately, that specific descriptor was cut from the final draft ;))

I should have run it in the P-C, too, in retrospect. At the time I didn't want to be a provacateur, in order to protect my job security, HAH!

Winston-Salem Dash (White Sox). Get it? The Dash...like the one between Winston and Salem??

Yeah...dumb name. But they lead high-A in attendance year after year.

WS-DASH-ballpark.jpg

winston_bbt_2.jpg

65e5f75694be6d75a2a2e0a6f21a8b37.jpg

Last edited:
Winston-Salem Dash (White Sox). Get it? The Dash...like the one between Winston and Salem??

Yeah...dumb name. But they lead high-A in attendance year after year.

417la2V3rZxhl8AhmVrjbOzkScLHv62LyAUWoawHXquJAtaM05UIwJLcoZg-6NlmS0rkMmuTvW_6SyupYXU055mnV-0OMRcBHCwvJMRbAE2lTm1e7DBySgcpcpIxUXXVfFmNpZhrtDsp7T8ULXYWr8EQi38eoodNHauzR4_W37-f1JRxGLQtul26PsIYMBKu-IRRba3CACZErSUO2bUQYvEBndWl6lr_i_SpU4YAv90_ZButy9s-4NCTANYiJQ

winston_bbt_2.jpg

65e5f75694be6d75a2a2e0a6f21a8b37.jpg

I actually think that's a super clever and original name.

Cute mascot, too.
Same. Beautiful downtown ballpark, and I’m a White Sox fan too. This checks all my boxes.

Funny and true story - this "new" name came as the result of a naming contest. An editor I knew at The Dispatch/Argus actually came up with this one - he was a big pun fan. The idea was that Davenport hosted the Bix jazz fest, the Mississippi Valley Blues Fest and was the new home to the River Music Experience, so why not play on the word "swing" as it relates to both music AND baseball!

While clever, even this editor later admitted it was a HORRIBLE mascot name - particularly when they actually put the name after the geographic location, unlike every other team name in every single American sport, lol (That is, they were the Swing of the Quad Cities not the Quad City Swing. So, so, so, so dumb.

Last edited:

Funny and true story - this "new" name came as the result of a naming concert. An editor I knew at The Dispatch/Argus actually came up with this one - he was a big pun fan. The idea was that Davenport hosted the Bix jazz fest, the Mississippi Valley Blues Fest and was the new home to the River Music Experience, so why not play on the word "swing" as it relates to both music AND baseball!

While clever, even this editor later admitted it was a HORRIBLE mascot name - particularly when they actually put the name after the geographic location, unlike every other team name in every single American sport, lol (That is, they were the Swing of the Quad Cities not the Quad City Swing. So, so, so, so dumb.
Great name concept. Horrible execution.

Reactions: torbee
Just another sweep for the hottest baseball team in the Midwest League:

CR behind you in second place in the West, 6.5 games back. Really was down on the Kernels after the series with QC, but it turns out that the bigger message was your River Bandits are for real. Seems that Dayton and QC are on a clear collision course for the Midwest Series.

CR behind you in second place in the West, 6.5 games back. Really was down on the Kernels after the series with QC, but it turns out that the bigger message was your River Bandits are for real. Seems that Dayton and QC are on a clear collision course for the Midwest Series.
I've been to two games in person now, and can tell you the Bandits pitching staff is the real deal.

I didn't think I'd see that much of a difference between High A and Low A, but you really see it with pitchers. The starter Wednesday night was regularly hitting 95-96 mph on his fastball and had a wicked little changeup too. You can see that these are the hot young prospects.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
I've been to two games in person now, and can tell you the Bandits pitching staff is the real deal.

I didn't think I'd see that much of a difference between High A and Low A, but you really see it with pitchers. The starter Wednesday night was regularly hitting 95-96 mph on his fastball and had a wicked little changeup too. You can see that these are the hot young prospects.
COMPLETELY agree. I thought the EXACT same thing you did watching my first game. It was the pitching that really stands out.

same here, team looks really good. Fun to watch.

I’m planning to take a huge group of clients from NY in a few weeks. I told them the Bandits stadium is better than the Yankees 😃

Damn it! I leave town Saturday for ten days! I saw him a few years ago when he passed through W-S - it'd be nice to see him on our field again. The Dash could use his help - they suck this year.

But you get to eat Whataburger. This, the best park

I went out of my way to get Whataburger for the first time about a month ago and I’ve never been more disappointed with a burger in my entire life. Whataburger is an unbelievably average burger.

Saw an entertaining game this evening, but it unfortunately supports baseball's love with the longball. Toledo had 17 hits; 15 singles and 2 doubles, scoring 5 runs. Omaha had 9 hits, but their last 3 hits in the game were home runs, driving in 5 of their 6 runs, including a walkoff by Cam Gallagher on a rehab assignment.

I don’t really have a team, but I am set to catch a game in Fort Wayne between the Tincaps and the Dayton Dragons in a couple weeks.

OIP.nPYimhBa_Ct4_wpYtr8agQHaGv

These guys got absolutely hosed in the MiLB reshuffling.
One of the great minor league franchises with a nice family-friendly ballpark.
Located in historic Geneva, IL, one of the better A-ball destinations (unlike Clinton, Burlington).
Regularly near the top of MWL attendance and top 40 in all of minor league ball.
Hopefully they'll regain an MLB franchise again in the near future.

Reactions: QChawks
This really makes no sense. Triple-A adding 10 extra games, but these games will be a pseudo-playoff "Final Stretch." Team with the best record in those 10 games will be crowned the Final Stretch Winner.

This really makes no sense. Triple-A adding 10 extra games, but these games will be a pseudo-playoff "Final Stretch." Team with the best record in those 10 games will be crowned the Final Stretch Winner.

I don't think they were MiLB, but I saw a few home games of the Muscatine Red Sox. Semi-pro I think, a few guys got a little money, many did not.

The coach was an old guy and kind of a legend in the area.

CR opened up a lead for that playoff spot over Wisconsin in their last series with them. Your River Bandits can’t win TOO many this series if we want to ensure that CR-QC playoff series, Torbs.

PS - The River Bandits are so far above the pack in the Midwest League, it’s crazy. I’ll be there tonight.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT