ADVERTISEMENT

What I thought set the tone...

StormHawk42

HR Legend
Nov 3, 2009
obviously defense was much better but I thought Wagner and Pemsl really set the tone early for the Hawks by taking it right at Burton and trying to drive right through their posts. Didn't always work but was nice to see they weren't scared of the Cyclones.

In the first half our trapping defense on their guards
caused some turnovers. Also our zone defense was
extremely effective due to the high energy of the Hawks.
Iowa led from start to finish against the #25 ranked team
in the nation. Wagner and Pemsl in the first half got
key rebounds.

Reactions: ZumaHawk
The Iowa defense was much improved...as was the rebounding.

For those that have argued that our recruiting has been bad and have complained about our lacking talent.....wow, Moss, Pemsl, Bohanan AND Cook didn't even play.

That said, Ahmad played ok but is still no where near reaching his potential. Christian didn't play a lot, but don't give up on this kid. He has a load of talent.

Dom played a decent game and is capable of much better. Brady E contributed.

Baer is only sophomore.....The future is bright. That said, youth will bring inconsistency but this team may have just taken a major step forward....if not, they grew up at least a little bit.

The Iowa defense was much improved...as was the rebounding.

For those that have argued that our recruiting has been bad and have complained about our lacking talent.....wow, Moss, Pemsl, Bohanan AND Cook didn't even play.

That said, Ahmad played ok but is still no where near reaching his potential. Christian didn't play a lot, but don't give up on this kid. He has a load of talent.

Dom played a decent game and is capable of much better. Brady E contributed.

Baer is only sophomore.....The future is bright. That said, youth will bring inconsistency but this team may have just taken a major step forward....if not, they grew up at least a little bit.

Perry you were right about Isaiah Moss....he makes a huge difference..makes Jok better...those 2nd half baskets were killers. Moss is one hell of a player.

I said Moss would be our 3rd scorer this summer. He is looking good. Wagner looks like a totally different player the last 2 games. He is playing more explosive and aggressive. The light is clicking early in some of our young guys. Glad I didn't jump off the ledge but still wish some of the posters on here would have.

Reactions: Ree4 and hawk-i bob
Perry you were right about Isaiah Moss....he makes a huge difference..makes Jok better...those 2nd half baskets were killers. Moss is one hell of a player.

Bob, I am tickled to death for this kid.....great talent and took the red shirt last year. He was deep down the bench early this year, and now he would be really hard to take out of the starting lineup......and JUST THINK when guys like he and Pemsl start to emerge around Jok! Man, can't wait for Tyler Cook to get healthy and get him in the groove. KEEP HOPE ALIVE!

Reactions: hawk-i bob
Bob, I am tickled to death for this kid.....great talent and took the red shirt last year. He was deep down the bench early this year, and now he would be really hard to take out of the starting lineup......and JUST THINK when guys like he and Pemsl start to emerge around Jok! Man, can't wait for Tyler Cook to get healthy and get him in the groove. KEEP HOPE ALIVE!

and you should be (well we all are) ... everytime he drove for those buckets in the 2nd half....I thought Perry you da man. Seriously you saw the talent...kudos.

Reactions: perryhawk
Pemsl is a breath of fresh air around the rim compared to what we saw from Woddy the last 4 years.
I hate the Woodbury bashing, but you are right in that he sure can finish down low. Lots of fire from him tonight and some dammed good defense as well. I'm beginning to really love this kid!

Pemsl is a breath of fresh air around the rim compared to what we saw from Woddy the last 4 years.
Comparatively, both Woody and Pemsl are lefties and neither one posseses great leaping ability. It seems that Pemsl has better footwork than Woody and looks a ton smoother working with his back to the basket. Hopefully Pemsl will develop into a good defender and rebounder just as Woody did by the time his career was over. Pemsl plays with a similar swagger like Woody did and he seems to play with confidence! Just as long as Pemsl doesn't develop a penchant for poking eyes!

obviously defense was much better but I thought Wagner and Pemsl really set the tone early for the Hawks by taking it right at Burton and trying to drive right through their posts. Didn't always work but was nice to see they weren't scared of the Cyclones.
Great game plan by our coaches and inspired play by the Hawks. That was fun!

Reactions: hawk-i bob
Pemsl has one thing Woody doesn't. A big ass, and he knows how to use it. Great pivot point for a post player

Reactions: djwoody
I love Cordell Pemsl and he is going to be a great player for us, but he is not 1/10th the defender that Woody was.

Reactions: Ree4
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT