ADVERTISEMENT

What if?

Luke Lachey will be a playmaker, if you would like to argue that, then go for it. It is quite the reach to state that Deacon will be the back up at this point, and if Cade were ever healthy again, 2021 will tell you that he is a more than capable qb. With the defense Iowa has coming back this year, there isn't a giant need to be "hopefull" this will be a successful campaign, it is just yet to be determined if it will be a special type of season.
Concurred. Luke Lachey is absolutely a difference maker. Kaleb Brown also has immense potential. We have pieces to make strides going forward but we need a Coordinator to make it work. Our line should be improved off of Proctor coming back alone but as a unit, they will be the question mark.

I guess I don't see those "good hands." He is young, and he put on a show when he was in high school especially in the state championship game, but I'm not sold on Wick as a playmaker at Iowa.
Wick had 2 catches for 14 and 17 yards in 2022 against ISU and Mich. I didnt say he was going to be a starter or Larry Fitzgerald. I dont know that he botched up any or many catches as I couldnt find a # of targets stats.

I say if we have a guy that can come off the bench and catch a couple mid range passes against two P5 teams, one of those teams being very good then he might be a help

Until we get a proven coordinator, we can’t play the what if game, especially with wide receivers. We’ve been doing this for 3 years. We need one that knows how to stretch or open the field instead of condensing it as Kirk wants to do. We literally have no production coming back and nothing on the bench that has produced anything. This hire is huge.

Kirk's offense is worst in nation and was often mentoned by national pundits as a subject of ridicule. If it wasn't getting embarrassing to Kirk and the program then I have to question how that was the case. I know if I were the subject of that, it would bother me to no end and keep me up nights searching out ways to fix it.

To suggest that running the worst offense in all of football over the last three years while making no staffing changes on that side of the ball doesn't illustrate at a minimum incompetence if not negligence is to ignore reality.

With respect to Fran's defense, it is frustratingly bad. It is nowhere near worst in nation by any metric I can find. He obviously is an offensive guy who finds players that fit the mold of what he wants to do. He is not able to regularly recruit players that fit that mold and are quick and athletic enough to play sound man to man defense. Fran has been unable to consistently land players that are effective on both ends of the court or to coach them into being a good or even average P5 defensive unit. That's pretty much a given.

The difference between basketball and football is that basketball players have to play both ways. Football players do not. They are completely separate units with no tradeoffs necessary with respect to attributes or practice emphasis. Kirk's offensive staff doesn't have that restriction of time and talent. They own those players outright. No consideration needs to be given to whether a recruit is effective on the other side of the ball. No practice time needs to be allocated towards defensive skills. People arguing that an improved football offense would necessitate a downturn in the defense make little or no sense. In fact, the opposite is true. The only positive impact that the offense has on the defense is the ability to complement the defense by consuming time and moving the ball downfield, which the Iowa offense has failed miserably at over the last several years.
-Of course Kirk hasn't been embarrassed by the performance of his team. The objective is to win and his teams have done that quite regularly and at an amazingly consistent clip for over two decades. Kirk is feeling nothing close to embarrassed.

I'm embarrassed for people that are more concerned with tearing down a winning team than they are with celebrating it. Especially when that team has been a winning program for over two decades. Seriously, I really do feel bad for people who think this way.

-When comparing the programs of Kirk and Fran you have to analyze their entire tenure. Fran's defenses are overall last in the big ten in his time at Iowa. He has done literally nothing to address improving the defense. In fact, when asked what can be done to be better on defense, Fran has consistently responded that Iowa is an offensive program. He doesn't even care that the defense sucks. This is negligence. The first fundamental of defense is guarding the ball. Iowa is consistently poor at this. Which is to say that Fran's teams are deficient in the fundamentals.

Never can Kirk be accused of being negligent when it comes to fundamentals. For 25 years his teams and players have been known for being fundamentally sound. His players are technically sound enough to consistently get drafted into the NFL.

Only a few seasons have Kirk's offenses been really bad, whereas almost all of Fran's defenses have been really bad. Just because KF's teams have fallen on a couple bad years doesn't mean that he's negligent. You can't say that he isn't trying to get better in this area. He picked up some important offensive pieces in the portal before last season to try to improve the offense. And another effective change he made last season was a switch to a lot more inside running with pin and pull as the blocking scheme. He is also making a switch at WR coach.

-Defense in college basketball is almost entirely coaching and has very little to do with athleticism. Look at a team like Wisconsin. Traditionally they aren't very athletic. But they are always great defensively. TJ is now doing the same thing at ISU.

But if you do want to use the argument that Fran has difficulty getting enough athleticism and quickness to come to Iowa, then the same argument applies for the lack of offensive game breakers at Iowa for football.

-I don't think anyone is arguing that an improved offense would necessitate a downturn in defense. They are arguing that improving the offense by certain methods could compromise the D. Kirk has flat out said that throwing the ball around hurts the D and makes it harder to win. This is the point that astute fans are agreeing with.

It should again be noted that part of the reason the offensive stats in football have been so bad lately is because the defense and punter were good enough that in many scenarios a conscious choice was made to be conservative on offense and defer to the defense as a method to WIN the game. Again, this is why teams have deferred to their defense for 150 years by way of punting on 4th down. This is the sport of "foot"ball.

In no way do bad defensive stats ever help a team win in basketball. Being good at defense in basketball is much more important than being good at offense is in football.

Also, it's possible to consistently win with the statistically worst offense in football. It's not possible to consistently win with the statistically worst defense in football.

In the end, Kirk's teams are more successful than Fran's teams at Iowa. Football has finished in the top 25 44% of the time under Kirk. While basketball has finished in the top 25 30.7% of the time under Fran

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 83Hawk
The offense will struggle moving from triple to double digits next year. That side of the just doesn’t have that much talent. Yes, adding Proctor helps, but the cupboard is still pretty bare.

-Of course Kirk hasn't been embarrassed by the performance of his team. The objective is to win and his teams have done that quite regularly and at an amazingly consistent clip for over two decades. Kirk is feeling nothing close to embarrassed.

I'm embarrassed for people that are more concerned with tearing down a winning team than they are with celebrating it. Especially when that team has been a winning program for over two decades. Seriously, I really do feel bad for people who think this way.

-When comparing the programs of Kirk and Fran you have to analyze their entire tenure. Fran's defenses are overall last in the big ten in his time at Iowa. He has done literally nothing to address improving the defense. In fact, when asked what can be done to be better on defense, Fran has consistently responded that Iowa is an offensive program. He doesn't even care that the defense sucks. This is negligence. The first fundamental of defense is guarding the ball. Iowa is consistently poor at this. Which is to say that Fran's teams are deficient in the fundamentals.

Never can Kirk be accused of being negligent when it comes to fundamentals. For 25 years his teams and players have been known for being fundamentally sound. His players are technically sound enough to consistently get drafted into the NFL.

Only a few seasons have Kirk's offenses been really bad, whereas almost all of Fran's defenses have been really bad. Just because KF's teams have fallen on a couple bad years doesn't mean that he's negligent. You can't say that he isn't trying to get better in this area. He picked up some important offensive pieces in the portal before last season to try to improve the offense. And another effective change he made last season was a switch to a lot more inside running with pin and pull as the blocking scheme. He is also making a switch at WR coach.

-Defense in college basketball is almost entirely coaching and has very little to do with athleticism. Look at a team like Wisconsin. Traditionally they aren't very athletic. But they are always great defensively. TJ is now doing the same thing at ISU.

But if you do want to use the argument that Fran has difficulty getting enough athleticism and quickness to come to Iowa, then the same argument applies for the lack of offensive game breakers at Iowa for football.

-I don't think anyone is arguing that an improved offense would necessitate a downturn in defense. They are arguing that improving the offense by certain methods could compromise the D. Kirk has flat out said that throwing the ball around hurts the D and makes it harder to win. This is the point that astute fans are agreeing with.

It should again be noted that part of the reason the offensive stats in football have been so bad lately is because the defense and punter were good enough that in many scenarios a conscious choice was made to be conservative on offense and defer to the defense as a method to WIN the game. Again, this is why teams have deferred to their defense for 150 years by way of punting on 4th down. This is the sport of "foot"ball.

In no way do bad defensive stats ever help a team win in basketball. Being good at defense in basketball is much more important than being good at offense is in football.

Also, it's possible to consistently win with the statistically worst offense in football. It's not possible to consistently win with the statistically worst defense in football.

In the end, Kirk's teams are more successful than Fran's teams at Iowa. Football has finished in the top 25 44% of the time under Kirk. While basketball has finished in the top 25 30.7% of the time under Fran
So because of Fran we should be okay with a record breaking season in how bad the offense was and a good offense would ruin the defense. It’s amazing what some of us Iowa fans have come to.

I am all for Biden but I took what he said more likely as a joke because we always blame the incumbent, whatever incumbent, even if in Biden's case he is doing a really good job and has eliminated the chaos.
Lmao, wtf. You can't be serious

Reactions: Packer54
So because of Fran we should be okay with a record breaking season in how bad the offense was and a good offense would ruin the defense. It’s amazing what some of us Iowa fans have come to.
I never said anything of the sort. The comparison was started earlier in the thread and I made a contribution to the discussion

-Of course Kirk hasn't been embarrassed by the performance of his team. The objective is to win and his teams have done that quite regularly and at an amazingly consistent clip for over two decades. Kirk is feeling nothing close to embarrassed. I disagree completely with respect to the offense. No one could take the amount of shit that they took for this offense that he and his own son were running and not feel a ton of pressure and embarrassment. Nobody wants to be running a historically bad anything. Especially with the amount of negative attention this was getting by the fanbase and national media alike.

Never can Kirk be accused of being negligent when it comes to fundamentals. For 25 years his teams and players have been known for being fundamentally sound. His players are technically sound enough to consistently get drafted into the NFL. We were talking about fielding a functional offense, which they were unable to do for the past 3 years. The talent has been bad and the coaching has been bad. That is negligence or incompetence or whatever you want to call it.

Only a few seasons have Kirk's offenses been really bad, whereas almost all of Fran's defenses have been really bad. Just because KF's teams have fallen on a couple bad years doesn't mean that he's negligent. You can't say that he isn't trying to get better in this area. He picked up some important offensive pieces in the portal before last season to try to improve the offense. And another effective change he made last season was a switch to a lot more inside running with pin and pull as the blocking scheme. He is also making a switch at WR coach. - He had no intention of letting Brian go and you know that. After the offense was broken he doubled down on him and added QB coach for which he had zero experience with to his duties. The WR switch was years in the making. If I had to guess the only reason he was still around was because of the hue and cry that would have ensued had he fired Copeland and kept Brian.

-Defense in college basketball is almost entirely coaching and has very little to do with athleticism. Look at a team like Wisconsin. Traditionally they aren't very athletic. But they are always great defensively. TJ is now doing the same thing at ISU. TJ has great athletes all over the floor. I'd take TJ in a minute over Fran. He's a much better coach and has recruited much better players.

But if you do want to use the argument that Fran has difficulty getting enough athleticism and quickness to come to Iowa, then the same argument applies for the lack of offensive game breakers at Iowa for football. That's not what I said. Fran has difficulty getting the offensively skilled scorers that he wants that are also athletic enough. He can get players that possess one or the other, but not both.

-I don't think anyone is arguing that an improved offense would necessitate a downturn in defense. They are arguing that improving the offense by certain methods could compromise the D. Kirk has flat out said that throwing the ball around hurts the D and makes it harder to win. This is the point that astute fans are agreeing with. @cmhawks99 and others have suggested that improving the offense would likely degrade the defense many times. You and him have something in common. He can't find anyone that believes Brian should have been retained (I'm guessing you weren't a fan of the firing) and you can't find anyone that believes the offense has to be sacrificed in order to maintain an ellte defense.

It should again be noted that part of the reason the offensive stats in football have been so bad lately is because the defense and punter were good enough that in many scenarios a conscious choice was made to be conservative on offense and defer to the defense as a method to WIN the game. Again, this is why teams have deferred to their defense for 150 years by way of punting on 4th down. This is the sport of "foot"ball. - This might be the most ridiculous defense of the most horrific offense in P5 that you could make. Why not just say that they meant to be that shitty because you know, they had a great punter and a great defense. The stats were bad because they couldn't get out of their own way. Period. When they actually had to make a first down or do anything productive, it typically resulted in a turnover against better competition. I guess you're right. They would have been better off punting on 1st down in the games they got boatraced in. The beatings wouldn't have been so bad.

In no way do bad defensive stats ever help a team win in basketball. Being good at defense in basketball is much more important than being good at offense is in football. If you completely suck at either one, you will never compete with the best in either sport.

Also, it's possible to consistently win with the statistically worst offense in football. It's not possible to consistently win with the statistically worst defense in football. Again, if you completely suck at either, you will consistently suck versus good competition. 92-0 this year is very consistent. I'll add one more thing. For everyone outside of the program, this is supposed to be entertainment. There is nothing entertaining about watching an offense perpetually stepping on its dick and knowing that as soon as they get down by 7 or more points the game is effectively over. Nothing.

Does this sound like a guy that is glad Brian is gone? Here's one of his comments from his own Brian Ferentz Appreciation thread at the end of the year.

I have the opinion that you gotta use wins and losses to judge a coordinator.
it was stupid for the Lesbian to fire the OC mid-season.
thankfully Brian has great character and stayed with it the entire season.

The only guy that might be more pissed about Brian being gone than Kirk is this guy.
Free speech, free board, but BF is gone.

I never said anything of the sort. The comparison was started earlier in the thread and I made a contribution to the discussion
I guess I’m not one of these astute fans you speak of because I’m just curious how changing things from the worst offense in the country could compromise our defense. I can think of how it’ll help by field positioning and time of possession but please let me know how an improved offense compromises the defense

Reactions: Bierhalter
I’m not sold on anyone being a playmaker after the last 3 years. Until it happens on the actual field we have nothing that says we have any receivers or honestly a quarterback that can make plays for an entire season. We’re 1 play away from having Deacon back there again, the worst QB in D1 football. Being hopeful is great but results matter at some point. Which is why Brian got fired.
I remember seasons when ISM and Brandon Smith were unproven. Hoping for the best.

The offense still stinks next season or the next two seasons?
There is a dearth of developed talent right now on the offensive side of the ball. The QB room and WR room are still hurting. The oline hasn't had a year of solid play, let alone solid depth for 3 years now. It's hard to see how all of this gets fixed in year one by a new OC but the portal makes a lot more possible. Proctor, McNamara and Brown are good examples of key adds that can make a difference in relative short order. Injuries will be key as always, but particularly with this offense where quality depth is pretty nonexistent with the exception of running back and maybe tight end. If McNamara can get/stay healthy, and that's a big if, the offense could be significantly better in the near term assuming the new OC isn't a Brian clone. If not, then I think Kirk's time left is probably short.

Last edited:
Reactions: amahawk
I guess I’m not one of these astute fans you speak of because I’m just curious how changing things from the worst offense in the country could compromise our defense. I can think of how it’ll help by field positioning and time of possession but please let me know how an improved offense compromises the defense
Read better

Jonesy, being that I know football better than technology I'll have to respond one-by-one to your bolded segments.

1. I really think you overestimate how much Kirk both hears and cares about the thoughts of outsiders. Sure he sees the stats and knows his offense isn't doing much and wants to do better. But he also has no problem with the fact that he's finding ways to win. That's why he said the team's record should be a more important part of evaluating an OC. In the end the objective is to win and KF is doing that enough that I promise you he in no way feels embarrassed.

2. The nature of the conversation was a comparison between KF and FMC, originally started by LittleZ. When comparing the two programs the entire tenures are analyzed. You can't say KF's approach on offense has been negligent based on a couple down years. The vast majority of his tenure the offense has been fine. Neither coach has changed his formula much. It's just that some years are more effective than others. Almost every Fran team has been awful at defense and his teams are poor at the fundamental of guarding the ball.

3. I never said anything about Brian. I was merely giving examples of efforts KF has made to improve the offense that help show he hasn't been negligent in comparison to Fran's negligence. And again you overate how important the opinion of the fan base would have been to KF had he canned Copeland while Brian was retained.

4. TJ's team has decent but not great athleticism. Certainly you can say that his team last year was fairly average athletically, yet they maxed out defensively. Defense in college basketball is a team thing, which makes it all about coaching.

5. So you're either giving Fran a pass for choosing to recruit skill over athleticism, or you're saying Iowa has limitations bringing in higher althleticim. Either way, football has a similar situation. They have an easier time getting a player that they can make into a difference maker on defense than they do getting those players on offense. And even though the players don't have to play both ways, Iowa has to choose to put their best athletes on defense and choose to allocate their recruiting resources to defense before offense.

6. No, I did not think Brian should be retained. And I don't think anyone is saying the offense has to be sacrificed to maintain an elite D. The point is that nothing that could even potentially compromise the D is a good idea. Kirk has said that throwing the ball around compromises the D. So anyone suggesting this as a fix for the offense is suggesting a bad idea.

7. I wasn't defending the football team's offense. I was making the point that it's worse to be bad at D in basketball than it is to have an unproductive offense in football. In many situations, deferring to the defense was something that helped Iowa win football games. This dynamic does not exist in basketball. Yes, Iowa's offensive stats were bad because the offense was bad. But they were worse than they would have been had the staff not consistently chose to defer to the defense and punter as a way to help them win. Again, deferring to your defense is standard in football. That's why teams punt.

8. You are probably correct that a team can only get so far while sucking on one side of the ball. Again, I was just comparing why Fran's deficiency is worse than Kirk's current deficiency.

9. Again, I was elaborating on how Kirk's and Fran's programs compare. If you want to judge how Iowa football, in a down year, performed against it's best competition, then that's a different conversation. I'll add to that conversation though by saying that 0-3 is much more important than is 92-0. Iowa football does not exist to entertain you. If a win, or if 10 wins, or if 20+ years of consistently winning at a good clip, or if any Hawkeye team that dedicates their lives to representing this state isn't entertaining to you, then take a hike

Last edited:
  • Haha
Next year I am hopeful for the offense but I won't believe it till I see it. Part of me thinks adding Proctor shuffles the deck a little to where maybe the run game can kind of fix itself.
This whole passing system just needs imploded. That's why I am ok with John's. A better/more productive passing game will help the run game as well. I'd like us to hit 100th, 80th would be great also. A year or 2 of actual improvement may help on the recruiting side offensively especially skill positions.

Jonesy, being that I know football better than technology I'll have to respond one-by-one to your bolded segments.

1. I really think you overestimate how much Kirk both hears and cares about the thoughts of outsiders. Sure he sees the stats and knows his offense isn't doing much and wants to do better. But he also has no problem with the fact that he's finding ways to win. That's why he said the team's record should be a more important part of evaluating an OC. In the end the objective is to win and KF is doing that enough that I promise you he in no way feels embarrassed.

2. The nature of the conversation was a comparison between KF and FMC, originally started by LittleZ. When comparing the two programs the entire tenures are analyzed. You can't say KF's approach on offense has been negligent based on a couple down years. The vast majority of his tenure the offense has been fine. Neither coach has changed his formula much. It's just that some years are more effective than others. Almost every Fran team has been awful at defense and his teams are poor at the fundamental of guarding the ball.

3. I never said anything about Brian. I was merely giving examples of efforts KF has made to improve the offense that help show he hasn't been negligent in comparison to Fran's negligence. And again you overate how important the opinion of the fan base would have been to KF had he canned Copeland while Brian was retained.

4. TJ's team has decent but not great athleticism. Certainly you can say that his team last year was fairly average athletically, yet they maxed out defensively. Defense in college basketball is a team thing, which makes it all about coaching.

5. So you're either giving Fran a pass for choosing to recruit skill over athleticism, or you're saying Iowa has limitations bringing in higher althleticim. Either way, football has a similar situation. They have an easier time getting a player that they can make into a difference maker on defense than they do getting those players on offense. And even though the players don't have to play both ways, Iowa has to choose to put their best athletes on defense and choose to allocate their recruiting resources to defense before offense.

6. No, I did not think Brian should be retained. And I don't think anyone is saying the offense has to be sacrificed to maintain an elite D. The point is that nothing that could even potentially compromise the D is a good idea. Kirk has said that throwing the ball around compromises the D. So anyone suggesting this as a fix for the offense is suggesting a bad idea.

7. I wasn't defending the football team's offense. I was making the point that it's worse to be bad at D in basketball than it is to have an unproductive offense in football. In many situations, deferring to the defense was something that helped Iowa win football games. This dynamic does not exist in basketball. Yes, Iowa's offensive stats were bad because the offense was bad. But they were worse than they would have been had the staff not consistently chose to defer to the defense and punter as a way to help them win. Again, deferring to your defense is standard in football. That's why teams punt.

8. You are probably correct that a team can only get so far while sucking on one side of the ball. Again, I was just comparing why Fran's deficiency is worse than Kirk's current deficiency.

9. Again, I was elaborating on how Kirk's and Fran's programs compare. If you want to judge how Iowa football, in a down year, performed against it's best competition, then that's a different conversation. I'll add to that conversation though by saying that 0-3 is much more important than is 92-0. Iowa football does not exist to entertain you. If a win, or if 10 wins, or if 20+ years of consistently winning at a good clip, or if any Hawkeye team that dedicates their lives to representing this state isn't entertaining to you, then take a hike
I'm done with the exception of asking you whether Brian should have been retained. Based on everything you've said above, that answer must be yes.

take a look at this years schedule again
Let's see...only 2 ranked teams they played #13 Penn State and #1 Michigan. Hardly a murderer's row of opponents compared to future schedules that will include Ohio State and the new west coast teams!

Let's see...only 2 ranked teams they played #13 Penn State and #1 Michigan. Hardly a murderer's row of opponents compared to future schedules that will include Ohio State and the new west coast teams!
They won ten games with the worst offense in the country. Again, Ohio state replaces penn state, tell me about that murders row in 2024

I think scoring better than -28 pts in the three biggest games of year would be improvement and reasonable expectation for new OC.

Iowa scored 21 in Bob Commings first win in 1974 at Kinnick.

12-10 Cy-Hawk reboot in 1977

10-7 Iowa win over Nebraska in 1981, 9-7 win in Ann Arbor

12-10 Iowa over Michigan in #1/#2 game in 1985

24-23 Iowa over Michigan in 1990 in Ann Arbor

55-24 Iowa over Ohio State in 2017 in Brian Ferentz's first season as OC

23-21 Iowa over Penn State in 2021

3 shutout losses in 2023-24 for the first time, since 1972.

peace

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT