ADVERTISEMENT

When did you think about leaving your organization?

Urohawk

HR Heisman
Sep 30, 2001
Been working at a place for 15 years. Came to work for the boss who was engaging and had a vision for the future in an organization that I wanted to help build. Now I'm on my third boss and the organization has gotten bigger and losts it's way. It's less efficient, doesn't seem to encompass the same values, and directly hurt my ability to do my job. How did you know it was time to leave and what was the final thing that drove you to leave?

• Haha
Reactions: Ehhhdolph
Been working at a place for 15 years. Came to work for the boss who was engaging and had a vision for the future in an organization that I wanted to help build. Now I'm on my third boss and the organization has gotten bigger and losts it's way. It's less efficient, doesn't seem to encompass the same values, and directly hurt my ability to do my job. How did you know it was time to leave and what was the final thing that drove you to leave?
Left my "first" job after 36 years. Didn't like the leadership. Even though I was a partner, I no longer felt like part of the organization.

My second (and last) job - went to work for people I really respected, a solid mission, team atmosphere. The company was sold after 6 months (I knew this would happen and it's the reason I had an opportunity there) and even though the management stayed, the new ownership sucked the fun out of the company. Leadership starting leaving, one-by-one. I lasted a total of three years and the last one was miserable.

Senior leadership is critical to job satisfaction IMO. If you don't report directly to them, then your boss is equally as important.

I figure out of close to 40 years, I was very well aligned with management for about 2/3 of them, and I consider myself lucky.

But I was pretty miserable for that other 1/3.

Mine was when they stopped being able to pay me regularly and missed every other paycheck. Still took me a year to find another position. I was till making more at 50% than if I went down and got a job at a Publix or something. Awful time.

To their credit, they eventually cut me a check, after I left, to cover everything they owed me. Me coming off the books was the only thing that allowed them to catch me up. Some people who didn't get off the ride soon enough were not as lucky and got left holding the bag.

They were good people, but it was a direct result of treating your company and employees like family, they just never made the tough moves required to be solvent once things turned bad. There was always something "right around the corner" that was going to turn it around. The unintended consequence of that the only staff that stays with you through all that are people that don't have other options. A company fully staffed with people without any other prospects (including me for a long time) is not a company with enough talent to turn anything around anyway.

I had a run over 6 months where new management came in clueless and burned everyone out. When I then got a new boss, I vowed to give it 6 months. 3 months in, I was done and then planned my exit. When it’s time, it’s time.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
I have had three professional gigs in 31 years; this last one I just hit 16 years in and will retire from it. Love the current job.

I basically used the Steve Jobs test, which my Dad sent me from his Stanford commencement speech:

"For the past 33 years, I have looked in the mirror every morning and asked myself: 'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today? ' And whenever the answer has been 'No' for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something."

BTW, great commencement speech.

When I was ready to retire. Less than two weeks.

I have had three professional gigs in 31 years; this last one I just hit 16 years in and will retire from it. Love the current job.

I basically used the Steve Jobs test, which my Dad sent me from his Stanford commencement speech:

"For the past 33 years, I have looked in the mirror every morning and asked myself: 'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today? ' And whenever the answer has been 'No' for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something."

95% percent of the people watching the video will need to change jobs

Can this be any organization? I left the Soft 9 Boys club I when I turned 50. Just couldn't hang anymore.

When I had 4 friends die of heart attacks in 6 month period. When TBW (no pic) was diagnosed with breast cancer. When my twin grand babies were born 9 weeks premature. All those events happened last year.

At that point, work didn't seem too damn important anymore. Picked my retirement date, took a month off that led up to that date, and GTFO.

Best decision ever.

My first job I quit because I had an opportunity to form my own company that was complimentary to the large corporation for whom I was working, with their blessing and financial support. I did that until I realized I had created some structural issues (due to my youth and inexperience) that were going to make it difficult to ever be highly profitable.

I then did consulting for several years - until I got married and had a child. Then I took a full time job with BMG for stability, benefits, etc. It was an awful environment, where upper management pitted lower managers against each other. I thought I was doing a good job not complaining about it at home, but after just a few months my wife told me she could tell I hated it there, and told me whatever the financial price might be I should quit. She said she knew I took the job for her and our son, and didn’t want me to resent them the rest of my life. It was the most giving and caring thing anyone has ever done for me.

I went back to consulting until I stumbled onto another full time job that I felt I could enjoy myself at. I will be 20 years with them this fall.

Reactions: ironside1

I can’t think of any job where, if it were my last day on earth I would go to that job. I would spend it with my family.

office-space-meme-bobs-545x413.jpg

I was in self checkout at Fareway and my cart was pretty full. Apparently a manager was watching me and was just so impressed with my scanning and bagging skills that they made me a job offer on the spot. The rest is history.

Times have changed. Nowadays you leave your company/org whenever you want a raise/promotion because it rarely happens in-house anymore.
Even at a large employer where they do "promote" from within, they usually do it in a way so you're not getting paid what they were willing to pay someone from outside to take the position for. It's the only way to get a real raise staying internally, but they know what you're making and you usually don't know what they're willing to pay for different responsibilities.

Senior leadership is critical to job satisfaction IMO. If you don't report directly to them, then your boss is equally as important.
Organization restructured five years ago. My boss used to have power but now new boss is middle management. He isn't empowered to fix my issues due to lack of resources. He listens, is sympathetic, but has no ability to impact any of my issues.

I like my job and all, but I'd still have to answer no on that. I guess it's a work to live rather than live to work attitude, several personal interests outside of work that I'd much rather be doing on my last day.

Reactions: artradley
I like my job and all, but I'd still have to answer no on that. I guess it's a work to live rather than live to work attitude, several personal interests outside of work that I'd much rather be doing on my last day.

I get it. I interpret his question more along the lines of considering a job change, than compared to better options like friends, family, and hobbies. I think we all would prefer those three over work.

Reactions: FranklinHawk
When I could no longer side step the pressure to relocate to the corporate offices,.. Great job, great people, great company,.. Just was not a good time to uproot my young family.

I make good money and have a 5 minute commute.

I have good relationships with my clients but my office environment isn’t very good.

The majority owner is a brilliant accountant but she’s a terrible boss/manager.

Even at a large employer where they do "promote" from within, they usually do it in a way so you're not getting paid what they were willing to pay someone from outside to take the position for. It's the only way to get a real raise staying internally, but they know what you're making and you usually don't know what they're willing to pay for different responsibilities.
This.

If you’re lucky to be officially promoted. Usually The they just don’t replace somebody who left and disperse their duties to others, often their direct reports… on top of their current duties… for no additional money.

If you are asking, you probably have answered your question. Good luck.

Reactions: Urohawk
I was in self checkout at Fareway and my cart was pretty full. Apparently a manager was watching me and was just so impressed with my scanning and bagging skills that they made me a job offer on the spot. The rest is history.
What a coincidence! I too was in the self checkout line at Fareway on Thursday after a battle royale on the local Pickle Ball Fields. Despite my sweaty, ragged attire I was not the worst dressed customer in the store, since it's located next to IC's lowest income housing, but I digress. After corralling the necessary ingredients to make a batch of " 3 bean dynamite ", I was whizzing through the self check out at warp speed when I got to the last item, a yellow onion. After 3 attempts to price said onion, I had to push the checkout of shame button to hail the Fareway assistant manager. After logging in she backed up the register and pointed out that I had selected the wrong kind of onion and you also needed to press " skip bagging " as well. What do I look like, some kind of IT nerd? Ok, so I'm home free now, insert my Greenstate CC and wait. Wait. Wait. Oh no. Button of checkout shame again. Assistant manager, " you have inserted your card upside down. " What? The writing and microchip is on the top. Naturally that's the way insertion should be done. Nope, go against everything that's natural and turn the card upside down and inside out. Needless to say I was not presented with an employment application...

• Haha
Reactions: Moral
Organization restructured five years ago. My boss used to have power but now new boss is middle management. He isn't empowered to fix my issues due to lack of resources. He listens, is sympathetic, but has no ability to impact any of my issues.
Silly question but I assume you’re a urologist. Don’t you pretty much “just” see patients? How is management bringing you down?

I will die at my job but that's a-ok by me and one guy already did that so I'm not even unique in my building.

What a coincidence! I too was in the self checkout line at Fareway on Thursday after a battle royale on the local Pickle Ball Fields. Despite my sweaty, ragged attire I was not the worst dressed customer in the store, since it's located next to IC's lowest income housing, but I digress. After corralling the necessary ingredients to make a batch of " 3 bean dynamite ", I was whizzing through the self check out at warp speed when I got to the last item, a yellow onion. After 3 attempts to price said onion, I had to push the checkout of shame button to hail the Fareway assistant manager. After logging in she backed up the register and pointed out that I had selected the wrong kind of onion and you also needed to press " skip bagging " as well. What do I look like, some kind of IT nerd? Ok, so I'm home free now, insert my Greenstate CC and wait. Wait. Wait. Oh no. Button of checkout shame again. Assistant manager, " you have inserted your card upside down. " What? The writing and microchip is on the top. Naturally that's the way insertion should be done. Nope, go against everything that's natural and turn the card upside down and inside out. Needless to say I was not presented with an employment application...

Some guys just don’t have the natural ability. You can’t coach speed……..or bagging.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT