ADVERTISEMENT

When truly grading Iowa under Brands, numbers don't lie

Take away the first three years. We had the benefit of two recruiting classes and the first year was a team zalesky set up. After that we probably rank 3 to 4. That's were we finish every year.
I am however optimistic that our recruiting has finally ampted up and we should start doing better from now on.

I’m not sure what you’re seeing in our 2018, 2019, and 2020 to feel recruiting is amping up.

Take away the first three years. We had the benefit of two recruiting classes and the first year was a team zalesky set up. After that we probably rank 3 to 4. That's were we finish every year.
I am however optimistic that our recruiting has finally ampted up and we should start doing better from now on.
I don’t think it’s necessarily fair to exclude those teams with the label “double class”. Tom Brands recruited them and they followed him. What if he stayed at Iowa.

You taking away Caels double class too then?

The advantage of a double class is you only bring the best of one class with you. Everyone has some hits and misses. The double class gives you the hits of one class along with the hits and misses of the other. Both guys benefited from that.
I personally think if Brands would not have left Iowa at all and been head coach instead of Jimmy Z, they ay not have missed a beat for the Jimmy Z years. Then it would have been interesting if Cael could have done what he has done, because, with Iowa not being "The Place" for a few years, He may not have had the momentum to get started so quickly.
I am not trying to take anything away from Cael and his accomplishments, but I am saying that there was a vacuum for a while and he filled it and now they have a ton of momentum.

Im honored that you have to mention me, slushie, truely...
Last i checked this is Iowa.rivals.com, not BWi

Hope to see you at the HWC Banquet!

Hey, maybe you missed my compliment . . . or probably not. But last I checked, PSU is an Iowa rival.

I was trying to be nice Slushie but whatever.

Still want to see you at the Banquet! We can arm wrestle an talk wrestling without colors. Maybe a beer? who knows i could bid/buy you a HWC shirt. How nice that would be. Yes, hope to see you there!
:)
Go Hawks

Really like the new depth charts at
https://www.wrestlestat.com/team/34/iowa/profile

Let's get another hammer!

Bravo AndreG

Last edited:
Reactions: nearfall2
You taking away Caels double class too then?
Robinson was bitching about it and he was right. How do you go to one school, leave, go to another school, then take all the good ones with you. I was disappointed Metcalf, slaton, leclaire had to miss a year but that was fair.
Cael was fortunate enough to keep reloading. So his first couple just blended in with his other awesome teams.
We should sent Terry to head coach Maryland. Then have him bring in a couple more blue chippers after a couple years.

So Kennedy, Cassioppi, and a few others dont have you excited. Since lee it seems like we are bringing in better talent.

In three classes you came up with two names. Our recruiting classes since Lee are ranked around 15-20th in the nation. We’re not going to challenge PSU with recruiting classes similar to UNI.

I would love for someone to make me feel better about our upcoming recruiting. But after a couple of good years it looks to me as if we’re right back to average.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT