ADVERTISEMENT

When you were 16?

Were you having a better time when you were 16 than you are now?

• Lot better then

Votes: 14 19.2%
  • Better then

Votes: 14 19.2%
  • About the same

Votes: 9 12.3%
  • Worse then

Votes: 20 27.4%
  • Lot worse then

Votes: 13 17.8%
  • What is time? What is 16? What is then? What is better? What is now?

Votes: 3 4.1%

• Total voters
My father had passed away in December of 1965 when I was 15. He had been sick for 5 years and was gone from work for long stretches during this time and we were not able to afford much. After dad passed mom got $300/month Social Security benefits for the 4 of to live on. She took odd jobs cleaning other people’s homes.

The wife and I are both retired now and live quite well on our retirements funds. My life is infinitely better now than my teenage years by far.

I had to go to school so worse then.
Shit! It’s 50 years later and I still have to go to school! :eek:

We lived in one of the most prestigious neighborhoods in town and I attended one of the most prestigious public high schools in the state. I had good friends and dated several nice girls. But dad was a functional alcoholic who wasn’t always functional so…better now.

Reactions: desihawk and ping72
The 60‘s music was better then. Chasing girls was fun but catching was frustrating. Studying was a bummer but the fraternity was fun.
Been retired for 25 years now and everything is better beyond sex. Planning for retirement is the key.

There is a lot more stress but being financially independent makes me remain in present state. I wish I didn't have the aches and pains of not being 16, but the other benefits outweigh those things......for now

Reactions: desihawk
The 60‘s music was better then. Chasing girls was fun but catching was frustrating. Studying was a bummer but the fraternity was fun.
Been retired for 25 years now and everything is better beyond sex. Planning for retirement is the key.
I’m not surprised… I’m guessing most 16yo girls are not very experienced with strap-ons.

@Colonoscopy likes 16 yo girls more now than when he was 16
i get older matthew mcconaughey GIF

Reactions: JustSayOV
Were you having a better time then than you are now?
Can't say it was better or worse. That would be comparing apples to oranges. I was having a different time... roaming the streets of a dilapidated Key West and hanging around the commercial fishing docks pestering the wine-o's...

Reactions: beanerhawk
That’s a tough call. I did really enjoy life then. I was also well aware and conscious of how good life was with no responsibilities and almost total freedom. I knew it was temporary and soaked in every minute.

On the other hand, raising a family is much more fulfilling, and so life today is “better” in the sense that it is richer, more rewarding, and more meaningful.

So it is almost impossible to compare the two.

I was broke as hell, but had a lot of fun. Now, I have more worries, but a hell of a lot more money with the occasional fun mixed in. It’s a wash.

Reactions: Moral
I broke my femur before my 16th birthday and all I was thinking about when I was in high school was getting out of my childhood home/hometown as fast as I could. I'm way happier now.

• Sad
Reactions: beanerhawk
16 years old, 1959, bought my 1st car, a 49 chevy, $ 100 dollars and working evenings setting pins in the bowling alleys. I started driving it to school a year later, not legally.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
This is a great question.

1995. Working for my neighbor farmer as a hired hand. $8 hour. I was working all of the time doing stuff I loved and would make $500 a week. I had a shit ton of money stored in a NIKE shoe box.

Work, sports, and girls. What a great time.

What is strange is that it felt like time would stand still while in high school. An hour felt like eternity. Now the hours go by so fast

I had an awesome time then and I’m having an awesome time now.

Honestly feel bad for the peaked in high school folks.
Yeah, then was good, and now is good, but for different reasons pretty much across the board.

16 years old, 1959, bought my 1st car, a 49 chevy, $ 100 dollars and working evenings setting pins in the bowling alleys. I started driving it to school a year later, not legally.
How did you survive when the robots came for your job?

This is a great question.

1995. Working for my neighbor farmer as a hired hand. $8 hour. I was working all of the time doing stuff I loved and would make $500 a week. I had a shit ton of money stored in a NIKE shoe box.

Work, sports, and girls. What a great time.

What is strange is that it felt like time would stand still while in high school. An hour felt like eternity. Now the hours go by so fast

That's because you are dissociating your life away until you die.

Much better now. My 16 year old self was extremely self centered/ narcissistic. Focused solely on pleasure seeking-- can't think of one " service project" I participated to benefit someone else. Mainly was outwardly behaving myself to avoid parents wrath but was actually quite rebellious. Probably thought I was pursuing " the good life" as society defined it then but was actually a pretty shallow approach.

I think 16 I was having more fun because I had more free time but I think I like my life now more than I did when I was 16.

When I was 16 I didn't have a girlfriend. I couldn't make my own decisions, I worked in a McDonalds and I didn't have very much confidence.

Now I have a wife (and 3 kids) I can make my own decisions and I work in an office. I have way more confidence now than I did at 16.

16 was good, now is better, but I would give my left nut to be 19-21 years old and back in college. Not because life peaked in college, but that I would love to relive college again, especially knowing what I know now, and have my whole life in front of me again.

That said, I would not want to go back to the immediate post college years in my 20's where it was a financial struggle to build a life. Just yesterday I had my vehicle in the shop to get some work done. When I got the bill I didn't even flinch that it was $1200. Paid it and went on my way. Later in the day I thought about it, I'm financially stable and it feels good. If I had gotten that bill in my 20's I wouldn't have been able to sleep for a month as I figured out how I was going to juggle the house payment, bills, food, etc. and been worried about when my next payday was. Now I can't even tell you when payday is, it just gets deposited and I always have plenty of money. CSB.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT