ADVERTISEMENT

Who hates Iowa? Devyn Marble.

Okay well then you are having a different conversation that is hardly related to Devyn’s grievances with the university. Nine hours before the tweet that prompted this thread, he claimed not to have watched a single CBB game this year. So I highly doubt that his issues with Iowa began this year (let alone last weekend) or, again, have anything to do with Luka

Brommelkamp agrees:

Edit: and why do you insist on reposting tweets and information that you have already posted on this very page of this very thread? Just to be annoying?
Who cares what Brommelkamp thinks? Are you posting that ONE TWEET from him (which is ONE opinion out there of MANY) just to be annoying? ;)

And going back to Dev's grievances, he has LONG THOUGHT that there is a double standard in how Iowa honors its players, both current (Luka) and past. So, YES, his grievances do have something to do with Luka. Dev thought that there were unfair double standards at the time of Roy's "celebration" at CHA, right before Roy died. And Dev thinks there's an unfair double standard NOW, with Luka's # about to be retired and Roy's not.

So, you can't talk about Dev's grievances without discussing why Luka's number is being retired & why all the other numbers got retired.

So, you are wrong. Luka is an obvious part of this conversation.

Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r
I wish RDM would be more specific about the disrespect he and his family feel in regard to Iowa. Being vague in making such a bold statement invites speculation and rumor. Which many will immediately take as fact.

Reactions: madmax1191
Just my opinion, Roy Marble was the all-time leading scorer at Iowa for over thirty years. Since most sensible people have come to recognize addiction is a health issue, I'm not sure why that should give Roy the Pete Rose treatment.

Iowa should have retired his jersey at the ceremony they gave to honor him. Degree or not. Being the all-time scoring leader for over thirty years is special.

Just my opinion, Roy Marble was the all-time leading scorer at Iowa for over thirty years. Since most sensible people have come to recognize addiction is a health issue, I'm not sure why that should give Roy the Pete Rose treatment.

Iowa should have retired his jersey at the ceremony they gave to honor him. Degree or not. Being the all-time scoring leader for over thirty years is special.

I don’t know the answer to this but maybe Roy would have been given a pass on the substance abuse issues if those were his only issues. Throw domestic violence charges in the mix and that really puts the university in a tough spot.

I don’t know the answer to this but maybe Roy would have been given a pass on the substance abuse issues if those were his only issues. Throw domestic violence charges in the mix and that really puts the university in a tough spot.

Totally agree because there will be those who are outraged that Iowa would honor someone "like that."

BTW this non story isn’t even on Twitter’s radar. 2 or 3 comments outside of Dev’s initial tweet and comments. Could Harty, Howe et al fan the flames? Sure, but are they really going to use the race angle when they already know the why?

Reactions: Franisdaman

I’m sure then it would be some other ridiculous requirement...”DONT YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO HAVE ABOVE A 3.9 GPA AT IOWA TO HAVE YOUR JERSEY RETIRED? ITS NOT THAT HARD”

Roy should have had his number retired. Period. End of story. It's not a sportsmanship award. It's not a contract with a moral turpitude clause. Roy was a stud at Iowa in his years as a Hawk, as is Luka. Roy got jobbed. Barta can still fix this posthumously. I bet even Luka would agree.

Could be. But Dev handled it about as poorly as he could have.

This probably blows over by Thursday. But seems like the university did this to themselves. From the embarrassing ceremony a few years ago involving Roy, and their seemingly random criteria for these retired numbers.

There’s probably 3-4 guys w retired numbers that credential wise, should take a backseat to Roy. All time leading scorer, as part of several great teams.

I guess my two cents...if guys like BJ and Lester and Stokes have the honor...Roy is long overdue. And yes his off court issues loom, but we’re hanging a jersey. Not renaming the arena

Could be. But Dev handled it about as poorly as he could have.
Yea you're right but my guess is that this is not a isolated incident and has been building for a substantial period of time. DM finally exploded and that wasn't a classy look.

And we now have fans on here blasting and dragging Dev, who was a great player and great rep for the university, who spoke up in defense of his dad. Come on.

Reactions: littlez
I think it would make someone obsessed with race wonder. Then the facts will stomp out their unnecessary bias.

Oh, how I wish this actually happened in today's world. Unfortunately, for FAR too many, facts have no bearing on their views/bias/spouting.

Reactions: mtown66
R
Did Roy have off the court issues while he was a player? If not, why wouldn't his number be retired at the same time as Luka's?
Roy Marble was a great player for Iowa but he wasn't even considered AP National Player of the Year, Naismith, or Wooden winner as far as I can remember. There are a lot of players that hold a scoring, rebound, assist, etc records for a time then they are passed. You can't retire every great players number, there are only so many numbers. I think Garza's recognition was due to his national awards while at Iowa, that has never been done before.

BTW, you want some contrast? Though not completely analogous as the details are different, it's still worthy of comparison.

Consider how Dev Marble spouted off vs how Kenyon Murray dealt with fans who questioned whether his sons were worthy of a scholarship. Kenyon took the high road all the way, simply said give 'em a chance and you'll see. Now that it's obvious what a player Keenan is...you don't hear "I told you so" , "my family was disrespected" or similar stuff. High road all the way...nothing but positive, grateful etc.

Again, no degree for Roy makes it complicated.

And Luka?
* Will have his degree
* 2 Time National Player of the Year (should be slam dunk)
* 2 Time Consensus All American (should be slam dunk)
* All Time Scoring Leader
I would disagree that it doesn't make it complicated. "Having a Degree" is a fair and objective standard. Once an objective standard is compromised, it becomes subjective. Hence, open for opinion as to why. Many schools have similar requirements - see Duke for one.

Reactions: Franisdaman

Okay. So, for argument's sake, let's say Luka goes to the NBA and at some point some chick accuses him of sexual assault. Should his jersey be unretired?

I agree there are tough questions regarding Marble that don't have cut and dry answers.

The issues with Marble are not strictly limited to substance abuse.

Reactions: WadeWilson
I would disagree that it doesn't make it complicated. "Having a Degree" is a fair and objective standard. Once an objective standard is compromised, it becomes subjective. Hence, open for opinion as to why. Many schools have similar requirements - see Duke for one.
and other have brought up the domestic abuse issues, which i was not aware of

Reactions: ChiPackHawk

Yep, it's a no win. If IOWA doesn't retire his jersey, they're racist. If they do, they're insensitive to violence against women. Either way they're wrong. Welcome to 2021

The issues with Marble are not strictly limited to substance abuse.

I understand, I'm just saying it becomes a slippery slope. If Roy's sins were so egregious, then why honor him the way Barta did a few years back?

I don't know why, but it seems like we extend a lot of grace and forgiveness to our politicians and movie stars and great musicians, but not so much for our athletes and coaches.

Okay. So, for argument's sake, let's say Luka goes to the NBA and at some point some chick accuses him of sexual assault. Should his jersey be unretired?

I agree there are tough questions regarding Marble that don't have cut and dry answers.
there surely has to be a list where you have to check off each box (or most of them) before you get your number retired or your jersey raised (like BJ).

I would imagine that list would include things like:
* Did player get his degree
* Did player earn 1st Team All B1G
* Did player earn 1st Team All American
* Did player earn B1G Player of the Year
* Did player earn National Player of the Year
* Etc.

As others have noted, IOWA FOOTBALL has such a list for its different honors.

I understand, I'm just saying it becomes a slippery slope. If Roy's sins were so egregious, then why honor him the way Barta did a few years back?

I don't know why, but it seems like we extend a lot of grace and forgiveness to our politicians and movie stars and great musicians, but not so much for our athletes and coaches.
it almost felt like that ceremony at CHA was a celebration of his life while he was still with us where Hawk fans could cheer him one last time

it was weird to give him a framed jersey, imo; like he needed that? for what reason?

there surely has to be a list where you have to check off each box (or most of them) before you get your number retired or your jersey raised (like BJ).

I would imagine that list would include things like:
* Did player get his degree
* Did player earn 1st Team All B1G
* Did player earn 1st Team All American
* Did player earn B1G Player of the Year
* Did player earn National Player of the Year
* Etc.

As others have noted, IOWA FOOTBALL has such a list for its different honors.

Okay, great. So, the system is not an exact science.

Who cares what Brommelkamp thinks? Are you posting that ONE TWEET from him (which is ONE opinion out there of MANY) just to be annoying? ;)

And going back to Dev's grievances, he has LONG THOUGHT that there is a double standard in how Iowa honors its players, both current (Luka) and past. So, YES, his grievances do have something to do with Luka. Dev thought that there were unfair double standards at the time of Roy's "celebration" at CHA, right before Roy died. And Dev thinks there's an unfair double standard NOW, with Luka's # about to be retired and Roy's not.

So, you can't talk about Dev's grievances without discussing why Luka's number is being retired & why all the other numbers got retired.

So, you are wrong. Luka is an obvious part of this conversation.
You are the person who always pulls tweets from journalists and claims them as authority in your arguments, so it’s a little surprising to see that what they have to say doesn’t matter when it isn’t convenient for you. Noted.

By the way, if Brommelkamp’s tweet was an “opinion,” which is what you called it, then my post was also an opinion, and I cannot be wrong, which is also what you called it. Not today Fran! 😉

I agree the number should have been retired. I understand the reasons it wasn’t retired back in 1985 but should all that have still been held against him in 2015 when we do the awkward half step of giving him a framed jersey? Someone said lots of schools have a requirement that you get your degree before retiring the number. If so, it would be interesting to see how common that requirement is.

It’s all just awkward because Roy was a fairly prominent figure again all the years his son was here, they showed his highlights in practically every game, they showed him in the stands in TV all the time, and then we have this weird policy where because of some off the court problems 30 years ago we don’t feel like we can really honor him with a retired jersey. If I was Dev I would think that’s messed up too.
What does the media showing his highlights while his son played at Iowa have to do with Iowa not retiring his jersey? Iowa doesn’t control that.

Timing is awful by Dev. To do it right after Luka gets his due. Plus saying what he has to say about Iowa when his coach Fran is still there who has been nothing but complimentary of him isn't the best look. Yeah his Dad's number should've been retired and I get why that would make him mad with last 2 ADs having their chance to do so but didn't. And in typical Barta fashion he botched his ceremony when he was dying. But as said earlier his Dad's past hasn't helped at all. This is why social media is awful to just tweet what he did. Ok you want nothing to do with Iowa as your tweet says then own up to it say specifically why (which is mostly obvious). Man up spill the beans let us know if there is something else besides the #23 not being honored.

Because the thing that is most disappointing is he says he wants nothing to do with Iowa. Both him and his Dad had 4 phenomenal years at Iowa. Fans and the community loved them and supported them while as student athletes and after they left. Roy with all his issues was always embraced by the Hawkeye faithful until the very end. Both of their coaches praised them during and after their time at Iowa. But to say you don't want anything to do with Iowa, a place who has shown nothing but love, is a slap in the face and juvenile because of basically 2 people Bowlsby and Barta. So because 2 ADs that wouldn't retire your Dad's jersey you are going to disown Iowa. In my opinion kind of a classless move by him.

BJ made only two 2nd team all conference teams. But graduated as the all time leader in assists and 3pt shots while finishing 3rd in scoring and steals. But as has been mentioned, it is only his jersey retired, not the number.
Considering the ncaa didn't keep track of assists til 83 and the 3 pt line was added after BJ's freshman year those stats should be taken with a grain of salt....not saying he doesn't belong though. I thought it was weird Roy wasn't up there but if he really had to go to rehab while at Iowa, sorry Dev..... deal breaker. Cocaine is one helluva drug, or so I hear

Reactions: Mountain Man Hawk
it almost felt like that ceremony at CHA was a celebration of his life while he was still with us where Hawk fans could cheer him one last time

it was weird to give him a framed jersey, imo; like he needed that? for what reason?

I don't know and frankly don't care. The point is there are a lot of logical inconsistencies being demonstrated here. I also think a lot of fans are overly sensitive right now. We already have the usual suspects engaged in virtue signaling and forecasting victimization by the local and national media.

Like many people on social media, Devyn showed poor judgment. Everyone needs to chill, though.

Is beating women up a health issue as well?

If it came out one of the white players on the retired jersey list was saying unbelievably racist things what would happen in today's climate? I can promise their jersey wouldn't still be retired.
Roy was a PR nightmare for the University and if Devyn doesn't get that he has a problem. You can love someone with a problem but if you don't acknowledge that problem and see the reasons others might shy away that is an enabling you problem not a disrespectful them problem.

While retiring jerseys shouldn't have a purity test in theory we live in the real world. Beating up women 2 months prior to his awards ceremony might have taken that ceremony from the retired jersey type thing to an awkward framed jersey type thing. I don't know that for sure but it wouldn't surprise me.

You are the person who always pulls tweets from journalists and claims them as authority in your arguments, so it’s a little surprising to see that what they have to say doesn’t matter when it isn’t convenient for you. Noted.

By the way, if Brommelkamp’s tweet was an “opinion,” which is what you called it, then my post was also an opinion, and I cannot be wrong, which is also what you called it. Not today Fran! 😉

i post tweets from journalists, correct. But you are incorrect when you state that I claim their tweets as authority, especially when its OBVIOUS when an opinion is involved.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT