ADVERTISEMENT

Who here drives the most expensive car?

Wow!

What color?
Blue. Little bit of rust on the bottom of the trim but previous owner was in Illinois so it has gone through plenty of Midwest winters and the rust is inevitable but the original guy took care of it. Rust is why I got away with $3k. If I get a year out of it, that's a huge W but I really think it could go a few more years as long as I treat it right. Got me 38 mpg on windy drive to St Louis day before eclipse and Got 42 mpg between Peoria, Illinois and Des Moines, IA once I got on more wide open interstate. Nothing been leaking or squeaking in the 6 weeks I've had it.

Reactions: BrianNole777
My 2009 BMW 328i with 265,000 miles on it appears to have a value of $1,000.

rNqV2Ry.jpg
Hahahaha loser marxist queer.

Just got an 04 Prius with about 250k miles for $3k cash from a guy in Waterloo who specializes in refurbishing the batteries and otherwise tuning up all generations of Priuses. On severance until October. Lease up the 30th and and almost all my stuff except the gear I'm packing in the Prius is in a storage unit south of Des Moines that will cost me about $500/year but is month to month. Getting apartment cleaned up and keys turned in by 24th then doing a whole Kerouac thing for the summer starting with mini family reunion I will drive to on 25th. So not me?
Sounds like Mad Hatter.

Have my eye out for a 2023 Acura MDX A-Spec with 15k miles or less. Definitely not the most expensive, but I'm paying cash.

Bought a new Tahoe around Xmas time that we ordered over a year ago and it was close to $90k w/ the high country package. I’ve bought three new ones over the years and like another poster said, paid half on the first one in 2001, then about 1.5 times in 15 and now this one. Crazy how much they’ve gone up in price. Family drives Hard Rock Rubicons to round out our vehicles in different models. If you ever get to drive a 392, don’t pass it up!

The last year of my Grand Cherokee ownership experience was awful.
Ya, last year was a complete top-end rebuild--rocker bearings, cam shafts, etc.--and a A/C overhaul. I've had to do the oil cooler on both Jeeps (standard "maintenance" on ALL 3.6L engines) as well. Our next vehicle will either be an INFINITY QX50 or Lexus RX350.

2017-Cadillac-Escalade-front_11586_032_1879x907_GMU_cropped.png
2017 Cadillac Escalade Premium. $96k new. However, I bought it used this year. $38k with 60k miles.

$44k is the most I’ve ever paid for a vehicle and that was a 2015 Suburban, used. I never buy new.

2012 Ford Fusion with 95k miles. Cars are just something neither my wife nor I are into. But with our daughter less than a year from getting her license, we have been thinking about upgrading to take advantage of the very nice safety features that have become standard on new cars.

Spending a boatload of money on a rapidly-depreciating asset is stupid.

The ONLY reason I spent close to $40k on my new car was because of a 0% interest rate deal.
You should try it in a jurisdiction where your local taxes are based on the book value of your car.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
Ya, last year was a complete top-end rebuild--rocker bearings, cam shafts, etc.--and a A/C overhaul. I've had to do the oil cooler on both Jeeps (standard "maintenance" on ALL 3.6L engines) as well. Our next vehicle will either be an INFINITY QX50 or Lexus RX350.
I had a 2010 RX350 that I drove until I didn't need it any more. I gave it to my mom, who's still driving it. I think it's at ~237k miles. It's a great car.

Speaking of car values and the lack thereof, this weekend Aardvark Jr was going to drive his '54 Jeep Willys to Charlottesville as part of our impending move. Given the nature of the vehicle and its top safe speed, he tends to like to make that trip in off hours. So on Saturday morning at 0330, I hear him and his buddy finishing his packing, which of course wakes the dogs, and so I go downstairs to see him of. He fires up the engine to its usual tremendous roar, hears an odd 'thunk' as he puts it in to reverse to get out of the driveway, and turns it off. Gets out and looks underneath to see that the drive shaft has become detached, and is laying on my driveway.

Thank god it happened there, I suppose. But hilariously, the beauty of this vehicle is that it's so damned simple that he actually spends the rest of the day jerry-rigging a solution. Thankfully though, discretion got the better part of valor, and he decided to wait to get the actual part before trying to make the return trip.

Go with the Lexus, Infiniti has really dropped off in quality the last 10-15 years.

Reactions: alaskanseminole
I hate buying vehicles. Each new ding or chip kills me inside.

I love it when they are paid for and still work well.

We tend to buy new, nothing that great, and drive them until they are dust. The last 5 or 6 we drove or had towed to junk yard.

My last two work cars I bought new, combined price was less than $20k. Crank windows no cruise no power locks is what I want. They will be just as worthless as a fancy car with all the bells and whistles once they have 250,000 miles on them.

2012 Ford Fusion with 95k miles. Cars are just something neither my wife nor I are into. But with our daughter less than a year from getting her license, we have been thinking about upgrading to take advantage of the very nice safety features that have become standard on new cars.
As the little Rico's reached driving age we bought them Subaru's insuring they had the safest vehicle on the road.

Reactions: WhiteSoxClone
Didn't fail finance or economics. Plow your money into the stock market and real estate as much as you can from 18-65. Vehicles are some of the worst investments ever.

Tell us more Oracle of HORT. I find the best financial advice comes from a guy who has to post his net worth on an anonymous message board. It screams stable minded financial genius to me.

$DJT at $10

What’s next?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT