ADVERTISEMENT

Who is better? Lee or Gable Steveson?

After this year, Gable will be known as the undisputed best high school wrestler of all time. He has never (ever) lost a match and has 3 world titles (4 after this year), winning college opens.

Too much can happen for me to pick anybody to be an undefeated 4xer, but Gable will come into college as the favorite for a title as a freshman. In a match there is not one person I’d pick to beat him. But, off days, sickness, surprises happen all the time.

He may very well be the best HS wrestler of all time (or at least accomplished). He has the potential to be a 5x World Champ before college and will challenge GWIZ for the spot in 2020. In my opinion....

Great post. Imagine what you could do if you were not trolling 83% of the time.

I point was not that there are tons of them....just that studs can have immediate impacts at HWT and 125. Marinelli (#1 recruit at weight) couldn't make the line up as a freshman at Iowa, Suriano makes an immediate impact at 125. I'm not saying this is always the case. Remember the context of my point, I was responding to who was a better recruit Lee or Stevenson - and my answer was both and both will have immediate impacts on their teams (as will many other freshman) and maybe being at the extreme weight classes helps that a bit.

Debate away. Not sure how I deterred any discussion. And, I clarified that it was an "off the cuff" comment the very reasons you mentioned - because it might not be readily apparent. I understand why message boards exist, but you can also appreciate that a lot of people consider it a debate class and not a place to hear and listen to others' opinions.

"...you can spend hours discounting it with research, I honestly couldn't care less."

Comment seems full of snark. As a master of snark, I think I can identify it, but maybe I missed this time. You ignited an interesting convo, that's for sure.

I point was not that there are tons of them....just that studs can have immediate impacts at HWT and 125. Marinelli (#1 recruit at weight) couldn't make the line up as a freshman at Iowa, Suriano makes an immediate impact at 125. I'm not saying this is always the case. Remember the context of my point, I was responding to who was a better recruit Lee or Stevenson - and my answer was both and both will have immediate impacts on their teams (as will many other freshman) and maybe being at the extreme weight classes helps that a bit.

The only weight class that give frosh an advantage is 125, imo. Many upperclassmen are forced up a weight due to physical growth. That means there are more opportunities for freshman at 125 to excel than hwt and fewer seniors or even juniors competing for spots on the podium.

a lot more talent at the light's then the big's. Gable will be the next 4 time undefeated champ in college wrestling. That will be because he is awesome and also because no one will be on his level.

Lee is all world but there are a lot of guys on his level at his weight class ( Fix, NATO, Suriano, etc) with this talent if will be more difficult for him to be a 4X champ. He may take a loss or two but lets hope its in season and not at NCAA'S.
I haven't seen lee against college competition but I hope he wins 4 titles.

I did watch all of gables matches from last weekend. Basically toyed with everyone. Could have beat the minny kid in finals by more if he wanted.

GO HAWKS!

Marinelli could have made the line up, it's just that he redshirted instead.

Marinelli could have made the line up, it's just that he redshirted instead.

It took me awhile to catch on but I think his point was ultimately that a stud recruit “can” make a major impact at 125 & HWT, but not necessarily that the likelihood is any greater there. Not the most poignant point that’s been offered up on the board.

It took me awhile to catch on but I think his point was ultimately that a stud recruit “can” make a major impact at 125 & HWT, but not necessarily that the likelihood is any greater there. Not the most poignant point that’s been offered up on the board.

Well, theoretically, a stud recruit can make an impact at ANY weight. So tell
me again why we are discussing 125 and hwt?

Reactions: StParis
You got one thing right:

"Gable will go down as the greatest college wrestler of all time IMO."
So far that would be Cael. So you think Gable Stevenson will surpass Cael's undefeated, 4X record. Kind of tough to do.

So far that would be Cael. So you think Gable Stevenson will surpass Cael's undefeated, 4X record. Kind of tough to do.
If he doesn't redshirt and wins 4 championships, then yes. With Snyder gone very possible

Last edited:
I'm just happy that neither of them will be wrestling for PSU! They are both very impressive young men, and are the most exciting things to happen to their respective teams in years.

Reactions: Dagboi
Think you are absolutely right as to 125. Hwt has the whole man-strength component that tends to favor the older, upperclassman, though I agree the talent pool is diminished relative to other weight classes both because Hwt is on the extreme end of the spectrum and because many good athletes that size are playing other sports, mainly football.

I'm by no means saying you are wrong. But some might say that many heavyweights haven't completely developed into men yet and many find themselves still growing as they leave high school and enter college

Meanwhile when a kid enters college as 130 lb man there is a good chance they may already by physically grown. Gilman for example stayed the same all five years at Iowa. Sorensen as well. Not that they both weren't stronger as seniors than as freshman of course

just a thought. 100% true all of the time? No

GO HAWKS!!!

Reactions: el dub and Dagboi
I guess maybe it depends on whether or not he redshirts. Is he going to? As most of us know, Cael actually did lose his during his redshirt year.

But that is a record that appears can only be matched, not beaten.

Poignant? That's not the word you mean. Might want to consult a dictionary.

Last edited:
Reactions: el dub
Hard to compare a light weight and a heavy weight but I would say Steveson is better than Lee. That's not a knock on Lee, I just think Steveson is arguably the best HS prospect in history.

From 2010 through 2017 (8 years, all I have right now), data clearly shows a higher frequency of Freshmen success at the lowest weights, as compared to the highest weights.

-- At 125, there have been 15 freshmen AA's in those 8 years
-- At 285, there have been 5 freshmen AA's in those years, all 5 in the years 2011 and 2012 (Myers, Nelson, McMullen, Telford, and Gwiz)
-- Combining the lowest 3 weights, there have been 33 freshmen AA's in those 8 years
-- Combining the highest 3 weights, there have been 12 freshmen AA's in those 8 years
-- 197 has the lowest number of freshmen AA's, at 3, followed by 184 (4), and 285 (5)
-- Following 125, at 15, 141 and 157 both have 11 freshmen AA's, followed by 174 (10)
-- Conversely, 285 has the highest number of SR AA's, at 30 in those 8 years
-- 125 and 141 have the lowest number of SR AA's, at 17 in those 8 years
-- 184 and 285 are the only weight classes without a freshman National Champ in these 8 years
-- 125 and 174 have had 2 freshmen National Champs in these 8 years

Neither Lee nor Steveson are your average, run-of-the-mill recruits. Both should have extraordinary college careers. All the data shows is the historical challenges, for whatever the reason, experienced at the upper weights in college wrestling.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT