ADVERTISEMENT

Who is the asshole quiz

A is an ass for not getting the f—- over.
If you ever deliver on your hawkeye basketball bet lost here, in exchange for an Illinois gummy, I can give you one of these bumper stickers his truck was adorned with. You can put it on your truck and also be a punisher.

s-l500.jpg

Reactions: Moral
If you ever deliver on your hawkeye basketball bet lost here, in exchange for an Illinois gummy, I can give you one of these bumper stickers his truck was adorned with. You can put it on your truck and also be a punisher.

s-l500.jpg
You got one with a Misfits logo on it? Those are bad ass!

I should note, I am a BMW M series driver, so I have to deal with slow, no-moving-over a-holes like you on the reg🙂. Either speed up or get the F out of the way!

Reactions: Tenacious E
That’s what makes Driver A the bigger asshole despite Driver B also being somewhat douchey.

If you have room to get over and see someone merging, GTFO. Stubbornly putting along in the right lane is an ahole move, period.

Had A simply moved into the left lane to allow for a merging car, there would have been no conflict. Driver A failed at this basic safety and courtesy measure.

Driver B doesn't get the benefit of assuming left lane traffic is clear and if driver A can get over for him. B should learn to merge.

Being in the Quad Cities there are a few on ramps on 74 I will not move over for if my exit is coming up. Mostly because a large percentage of Quad Citians are tailgaters and will make it a pain in the ass to get back into the right lane to exit.

You got one with a Misfits logo on it? Those are bad ass!

I should note, I am a BMW M series driver, so I have to deal with slow, no-moving-over a-holes like you on the reg🙂. Either speed up or get the F out of the way!
Instead of burying the accelerator on the merge and forcing your way into traffic, my advice would be to put your head on a swivel, adjust your speed, and obey the f*cking law.

Last edited:
Reactions: MitchLL and seam
Driver B doesn't get the benefit of assuming left lane traffic is clear and if driver A can get over for him. B should learn to merge.

Being in the Quad Cities there are a few on ramps on 74 I will not move over for if my exit is coming up. Mostly because a large percentage of Quad Citians are tailgaters and will make it a pain in the ass to get back into the right lane to exit.
You can’t tell if the left lane is clear? Maybe you shouldn’t be driving if you’re blind!

This isn’t a hard concept — if lane is clear on left and someone is merging on right, GET THE F OVER!

Here’s how this goes down in South Florida.

Driver A would have paced himself and blocked Driver B’s merge, because, you know, nobody merges in front of me you asshole. Then Driver B would’ve sped up and merged around on the median and then brake-checked Driver A. Then Driver A and Driver B both get out and start arguing, but Driver B doesn’t speak English so they’re having a little trouble communicating. But everyone understands the universal languages of Glock and Smith & Wesson, so they each run to their cars for their guns. But before either of them can shoot Driver A is eaten by a naked homeless Jamaican guy high on bath salts.

Lucky you live in Iowa, OP.

This is the ONE question I missed on the Georgia driver license test. Driver A is to do NOTHING. I said "move over if clear"... it was wrong. Anyone who says driver A should take action would be wrong in Georgia. That said, I'm not gonna let some idiot side swipe me when they're trying to merge into traffic.
That would depend on how the question was phrased.

Driver A isn’t legally obligated to move over, of course. It’s just common courtesy. When you enter a building you’re not legally obligated to hold the door open for someone who’s following a few feet behind you, it’s just common courtesy.

The answers to driving test questions are generally going to be based on the letter of the law, not what’s socially courteous.

Driver A is feeling guilty about his actions or lack thereof and came here to try to ease the burden of that guilty feeling.
No, I was genuinely curious what people's opinions are given the situation. The varied response has been a bit surprising. For what is worth, traffic conditions today were much heavier, there were a lot of cars merging on from the same onramp, and I proactively moved over to avoid a mess. Yesterday, it was much earlier in the morning, and we were the only two automobiles around.

You are also a gentleman and a scholar.

Reactions: ryan2144 and Moral
You can’t tell if the left lane is clear? Maybe you shouldn’t be driving if you’re blind!

This isn’t a hard concept — if lane is clear on left and someone is merging on right, GET THE F OVER!
Agreed, the concept is simple and 14-year olds routinely answer this correctly on driver's education tests in order to get a learner's permit. The merging automobile his legally required to yield.

Heavens to Betsy. I'm starting to think maybe you don't know how to merge either. Do really need someone to get completely out of your way to deploy a simple driving tactic?

I can play this game too.

Reactions: ryan2144
The biggest asshole is the one that is merging onto the interstate so you do the right thing and move to the left to give them comfort to merge in; however, this asshole then comes up to speed at the exact same rate as you and sits on your right rear bumper.

That’s what makes Driver A the bigger asshole despite Driver B also being somewhat douchey.

If you have room to get over and see someone merging, GTFO. Stubbornly putting along in the right lane is an ahole move, period.

Had A simply moved into the left lane to allow for a merging car, there would have been no conflict. Driver A failed at this basic safety and courtesy measure.
To me, in an asshole contest the relative size of the asshole doesn't matter. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: West Duval Nole
The question on the thread not who was legally right. It was who is the asshole, which is subjective.

It simply comes down to if someone is not courteous, then do you believe they are an asshole?
It is a rectangle and square situation. All assholely behavior is discourteous, but not all discourteous behavior is assholey.

Reactions: West Duval Nole
I believe OP tried to instill bias in the question by labeling himself Driver A instead of B, therefore he is still an asshole.
I honestly tried to make the OP unbiased, but I found that this was leading to incorrect opinions, so I had to insert more bias in my favor as the thread progressed.

Agreed, the concept is simple and 14-year olds routinely answer this correctly on driver's education tests in order to get a learner's permit. The merging automobile his legally required to yield.
You can be in the "right" and still be the asshole.

Yes, the rules of the road put the onus on the merger, but in real world conditions, if traffic is light and the person merging is clearly going at a speed that will intersect or nearly intersect with the vehicle on the highway, the courteous, non-asshole move is for the on-highway vehicle to make a simple lane change so the merging vehicle has a clear path.

I'm not going to pass judgment here, but both drivers made one big mistake. That mistake is assuming the other driver was going to do exactly what they wanted them to do.

Therefore, both drivers believe the other driver was an asshole.

Me, I always drive with the assumption that all drivers are assholes - and all traffic is going to do exactly the opposite of what I hope they do.

I adjust my driving accordingly. I do whatever I have to do to always give me space because space gives me options. Sometimes that means being passive, sometimes that means being aggressive. But that always means I have a much better chance of not getting pissed off during my trip to where I might make mistakes out of anger.

It's not worth it, folks. Assume the other driver is always going to do the wrong thing - and adjust accordingly.

Driver A should have moved to the far lane, allowing Driver B to enter near lane.

Driver B should have sped up or slowed to avoid sideswiping driver A.

Both assholes, for different reasons.

Legally it’s on Driver B to enter the highway safely and dollars to donuts they are a f*cking moron who probably shouldn’t be allowed to drive.

I'm really sorry I didn't see you trying to get onto the interstate. I was too busy reading and responding to a text message. Also I had just spilled my beer so i was looking for some napkins to soak it up.....

Reactions: billanole
Not really helping either's case to not be an asshole, tbh...

But it's the merging driver's responsibility to merge properly. Drivers already on the road can move over if possible but it's a courtesy.

This. With zero traffic it is perhaps a nice gesture to change lanes, but not necessary and imo not called for.
  • The single biggest opportunity for a crash is when you change lanes, so it's always best to keep lane changing to a minimum.

• Left lane is for passing. Adherence to this simple rule is why Europeans can drive so much faster on their highways with fewer accidents. Well, that an the .05% blood alcohol limit.

• If you are driving in the correct lane at a reasonable speed, it is not incumbent on you to change lanes to someone is is obligated to yield to you. Honestly, even trying to adjust your speed can be counterproductive, because if the merging vehicle has a good driver they have already made a rough calculation of your speed and what they need to do to adjust. Changing your speed just screws them up.
Sure, when it's crowded and a bunch of cars are trying to merge in difficult conditions, I will do what I can to make it easier for them. But if you are merging into light traffic you are responsible for making the adjustments; which should be easy.

Driver A is a prick, but not an asshole. But that's because he's driving a BMW. He is completely in the right in this situation. Driver B is an asshole. It is completely his responsibility to merge safely into the traffic already on the interstate.

If I'm Driver A and alone in my car, I don't yield because Driver B will probably drive same speed and prevent me from getting to my exit lane ahead.

If my wife is with me, I yield because she doesn't like confrontation.

Really tho, with as much motorcycle traffic as we have, moving over at that speed with only being able to make a quick glance into the mirrors isn't the safest option either.

If I'm Driver A and alone in my car, I don't yield because Driver B will probably drive same speed and prevent me from getting to my exit lane ahead.

If my wife is with me, I yield because she doesn't like confrontation.

Really tho, with as much motorcycle traffic as we have, moving over at that speed with only being able to make a quick glance into the mirrors isn't the safest option either.
Agreed. During the warm months, you do get the idiots driving their motorcycles near 100 mph blowing by everyone, and they can come out of nowhere. And if you are familiar with DSM, I was westbound on 235 between the University and 6th street exits, which is prime real estate for dipshits on motorcycles.

This. With zero traffic it is perhaps a nice gesture to change lanes, but not necessary and imo not called for.
  • The single biggest opportunity for a crash is when you change lanes, so it's always best to keep lane changing to a minimum.

• Left lane is for passing. Adherence to this simple rule is why Europeans can drive so much faster on their highways with fewer accidents. Well, that an the .05% blood alcohol limit.

• If you are driving in the correct lane at a reasonable speed, it is not incumbent on you to change lanes to someone is is obligated to yield to you. Honestly, even trying to adjust your speed can be counterproductive, because if the merging vehicle has a good driver they have already made a rough calculation of your speed and what they need to do to adjust. Changing your speed just screws them up.
Sure, when it's crowded and a bunch of cars are trying to merge in difficult conditions, I will do what I can to make it easier for them. But if you are merging into light traffic you are responsible for making the adjustments; which should be easy.
All good points, and part of my calculus. I always thought HORTers bitched about people in the right hand lane not knowing the rules of merging, and adjusting their speed for merging automobiles, as it makes it harder to judge speed to shoot a gap.

Agreed. During the warm months, you do get the idiots driving their motorcycles near 100 mph blowing by everyone, and they can come out of nowhere. And if you are familiar with DSM, I was westbound on 235 between the University and 6th street exits, which is prime real estate for dipshits on motorcycles.
I know exactly what you are describing.

The Harleys you can hear. The crotch rockets...not so much.

235 can be a bitch.

Reactions: Tenacious E
Driver A is driving in the right lane of the Interstate. Driver A is going 63 in a 55.

Driver B is merging onto the same interstate.

It is not congested. Driver A could slow down or speed up. Driver B could slow down or speed up and merge with no problem. Basically, there were no other cars around either driver.

Driver B merges into Driver A. Driver A swerves to avoid Driver B honking at him in the process. Both drivers flip each other off, believing the other was an asshole who should have yielded. Who was right?*

*edited version below to provide a complete scenario:

Driver A is driving in the right lane of the Interstate in a white BMW X3. Driver A is going 63 in a 55, locked in using cruise control.

Driver B is merging onto the same interstate, in a black F-150 with extended mirrors and punisher bumperstickers, at a rate of at least 70 mph.

On this particular morning, it was not congested, as it was early before the main commute in DSM. This was in the middle of summer, when there are not large numbers of clueless drivers on the road, such as during the state wrestling tournament. In heavy traffic, Driver A usually will preemptively move into the middle lane of I-235, despite his exit coming up which he takes to get to his job. On this day, it was just Driver A and Driver B over a span of 100 yards. Basically, there were no other cars around either driver. Driver A could slow down or speed up. Driver B could slow down or speed up and merge with no problem.

By all accounts Driver B buried the accelerator and merged without looking at what traffic was in the right lane he was merging into. While Driver A typically preemptively avoids idiot/self-absorbed drivers, and slows down or moves over, on this particular morning, given there was no one around he maintained speed. Just before impact, Driver A swerved and slowed to avoid Driver B, honking at Driver B to let him know Driver B just pulled an illegal and moronic maneuver. Driver B swerves around Driver A, pulls up to him, and gives him vigorous double birds while staring at Driver A. Driver A looks over to Driver B, and returns a single bird.

Both drivers believe the other was an asshole who should have yielded. Who was right?
I stopped reading at “BMW.” Driver A is clearly the asshole who also enjoys schadenfreude with their mechanic.

Reactions: noleclone2
All good points, and part of my calculus. I always thought HORTers bitched about people in the right hand lane not knowing the rules of merging, and adjusting their speed for merging automobiles, as it makes it harder to judge speed to shoot a gap.

What's interesting is that a few years ago I came on here and told about driving on a long straight stretch of Interstate late at night with no other cars anywhere. This was in Texas where you could see for miles, and where they have extremely long merge lanes. I could see way in the distance a car starting to enter the merge ramp, and I thought little of it. However, he was on target to merge just as I was passing by, and though he had at least ten or twenty seconds to adjust, he didn't adjust his speed until the last moment - and proceeded to lay on his horn because I didn't move over for him.

At the time HORT was about 10-1 against me, saying it was expected that I should change lanes to accommodate someone merging.

EDIT
I just searched for my post, and you were one of them saying I was an asshole for not moving over!

Last edited:
Woah woah woah. Expecting someone to obey the law in that situation is being an asshole? Are you a zipper merge advocate? Driver B is someone who saddles up to your urinal in an empty restroom when there are 10 others to choose from, and expects you to move. In any event B was doing at least 70 in a 55 while I was going 63. He just buried his accelerator and expected the sea to part in front of him. I am not saying I am not otherwise an asshole, I just didn’t think this was assholey. But, this is why I posed OP, as maybe I’m an even bigger asshole than I realized…
Ahaha! I think we figured it out. In OP it is stated "Driver B could slow down or speed up and merge with no problem.

But in above admission of guilt, the story has now dramatically changed to "In any event B was doing at least 70 in a 55 while I was going 63. He just buried his accelerator and expected the sea to part in front of him"

Driver B actually attempted to speed up to merge, and then driver A, being an asshole, then sped up because he is one of those types. Evidentiary proof of this occurrence supported by Drive A also driving a BMW. Driver A sped up to block B, and then has the audacity to be upset that the poor, unsuspected 82 year old grandmother driver in other lane did not realize the BMW was playing the cock block game and almost sideswiped him.
25-best-episodes-columbo-ranked.jpg

Last edited:
Woah woah woah. Expecting someone to obey the law in that situation is being an asshole? Are you a zipper merge advocate? Driver B is someone who saddles up to your urinal in an empty restroom when there are 10 others to choose from, and expects you to move. In any event B was doing at least 70 in a 55 while I was going 63. He just buried his accelerator and expected the sea to part in front of him. I am not saying I am not otherwise an asshole, I just didn’t think this was assholey. But, this is why I posed OP, as maybe I’m an even bigger asshole than I realized…
If Driver A has his/her shit together and sees no traffic around him/her, and sees someone coming from an on ramp at a similar time, Driver A should get over (courtesy wise).

Driver A should already know what the traffic around them is like, Driver B has to look in his/her mirror from an angle and head swivel to determine traffic on a road he/she hasn't entered yet. (should be able to make some quick observation of the amount of traffic, which one would hope you aren't barreling onto the Freeway if it's HEAVY traffic - if it's heavy traffic Driver B is the asshole in that scenario entering the Freeway well over the speed limit).

In the scenario you gave, you're the asshole (Driver A), 100% no question about it. (your sightlines are better and you're likely on a straight section of road where you should already know your surroundings, that's the main gist of it).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT