ADVERTISEMENT

Who Would Iowa Go After When Brands Retires?

I understand to a certain extent the desire to have an Iowa pedigree. But Gable was an Iowa State guy that was "slightly" successful at Iowa. Sanderson moves to Penn State with no real ties but has been "marginally" successful. Why wouldn't you look to a Dake, Taylor, Buroughs, or Green as the time comes? If I were looking for a coach at D1 level my current #1 would be Casey Cunningham. Not sure he is interested in leaving but I think of the non-head coaches he would be my choice today. I could see Spencer being that man at some point in the future. I would say 10 years or so out.

You don't have to be charismatic to be a successful coach. Look and Cael. He has little to no personality. Football look at Bill Belichick ZERO personality but highly successful coach.

I understand to a certain extent the desire to have an Iowa pedigree. But Gable was an Iowa State guy that was "slightly" successful at Iowa. Sanderson moves to Penn State with no real ties but has been "marginally" successful. Why wouldn't you look to a Dake, Taylor, Buroughs, or Green as the time comes? If I were looking for a coach at D1 level my current #1 would be Casey Cunningham. Not sure he is interested in leaving but I think of the non-head coaches he would be my choice today. I could see Spencer being that man at some point in the future. I would say 10 years or so out.

You don't have to be charismatic to be a successful coach. Look and Cael. He has little to no personality. Football look at Bill Belichick ZERO personality but highly successful coach.
We badly need the season to start

I can make 174. Can we fill the other 9 weights and challenge Iowa to a dual?

We badly need the season to start

I can make 174. Can we fill the other 9 weights and challenge Iowa to a dual?
I can make 125 but I’m afraid it won’t be much of a match. Final team score would be in the 50-60 to nil range depending on how much they toy with us prior to attempting a pin. Plus I guarantee lots of follow up medical appointments if we don’t end up in urgent care/ER first.

HC - Spencer
Asst - Some combo of Riddler, Dawg, Bull, Big Tone, Warner, Ramos (One has to be Riddler or Dawg though. Need someone who can scramble besides Spencer)

HWC - In order of preference
Yanni - Lives and breathes international competition and can scramble with the college guys
Dake - International experience - Top Game for the college guys.
Cox - I have always loved Cox (uh wait....you know what I mean)
Snyder - I get he is decorated, but I've never been super impressed with him in interviews. Terrible barometer i know. I've never met him and heard he is a great guy. Just doesn't have the "it" factor to influence others it seems. Could be way off.
Gilman - Like his experience both collegiately, internationally and experience outside of Iowa.

Reactions: Gobblin
If Spencer isn't interested in the job, I don't think TnT will retire.

Unless I missed some announcement that he plans to hang it up in 5-7 years, what are we basing this on? It doesn't feel like they would step down without a clear successor.

I can make 125 but I’m afraid it won’t be much of a match. Final team score would be in the 50-60 to nil range depending on how much they toy with us prior to attempting a pin. Plus I guarantee lots of follow up medical appointments if we don’t end up in urgent care/ER first.
That's ok. We need to get off this topic

If you need some bud heavy drinking then we better consider smalls for HC! Get recruiting Willie!

Reactions: el dub
Is it really that hard to believe someone on this board might weigh 160# without cutting weight?
No, but I think walking around weight is a lifestyle choice. Losing weight to achieve a healthy BMI and maintaining is quite different than cutting weight. The preponderance of posters may generally lack commitment to the former.

• Love
Reactions: natchrlman
Just wishful thinking. Mike may be thriving with a lucrative Wall Street career and have no interest in coaching in the future. I just know the type of man he is and feel like he’d make a great coach. No clue if he’d want to be at this level though. There isn’t much he couldn’t be great at.. Other than basketball.
I agree with your Kemmerer take. Great wrestler and I'm sure would be a great coach. I always thought Jay Borschel would have been a great addition to the Hawkeye staff. To me the two are similar. Not sure I agree on the Ryan M* take. His style wasn't exactly exciting nor "pushing the pace". I think he's a good recruiter, but as time goes by that will become more difficult as young kids have no idea of his wrestling legacy. JMO.

I know this is down the road, but who would Barta (if it's him) go after?

-Tom Ryan: Would he be interested in seeing what he could accomplish in the mecca? Would Iowa be interested? He's the same age as Tom, so would he be close to retiring as well?
-Doug Schwab: Seems to be some bad blood with Iowa, or maybe just the staff, or maybe not? He was a heck of a wrestler here. A heck of a recruiter. Not trying to knock him, but does what he's accomplished at UNI qualify him?
-Tony Ersland: Not the pedigree competitive career. Hasn't gotten Purdue over the AA hump yet. One of the best recruiter's out there. Seems open to push the envelope as long as compliance gives him ok.
-Kevin Dresser: Similar to Schwab in all aspects. Is he going to retire before Tom as he's much older?
-Brent Metcalf: See Dresser & Schwab.
-Pat Popolizio: Does Iowa go outside it's tree.
-Ryan Morningstar: Nothing really needs to be pointed out with him.

Did I miss anyone with a legitimate shot?
Some of you won't like this but I think Tom Ryan is the best guy for you.

I agree with your Kemmerer take. Great wrestler and I'm sure would be a great coach. I always thought Jay Borschel would have been a great addition to the Hawkeye staff. To me the two are similar. Not sure I agree on the Ryan M* take. His style wasn't exactly exciting nor "pushing the pace". I think he's a good recruiter, but as time goes by that will become more difficult as young kids have no idea of his wrestling legacy. JMO.
Borschel always seemed a little 'unique' or different to me. Not sure how his personality would work as a coach.

Borschel clearly isn’t interested in coaching. He chose another path.

Also, there have been few wrestlers who exemplified the Iowa style more than Jim Zalesky. What’s your evaluation of the team under his tutelage? The point is that wrestling style and coaching style don’t necessarily align.

I didn't read entire thread (most). I don't recall anyone suggesting Terry.

Yeah I mean it’s almost like he will also be at retirement age when Tom Brands retires.

Reactions: el dub

Also, there have been few wrestlers who exemplified the Iowa style more than Jim Zalesky. What’s your evaluation of the team under his tutelage? The point is that wrestling style and coaching style don’t necessarily align.

Yeah I mean it’s almost like he will also be at retirement age when Tom Brands retires.
Ages that people retire have much variance. If Terry still has 5 or 6 years in him - go for it.

Almost…..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT