ADVERTISEMENT

Why do people lie and say oysters are tasty?

They are slimy and have no real taste themselves.

I love oysters but a lot of that is the experience. Most of the raw oysters I've eaten were at the half shell raw bar in key west right on the water. The smell of the ocean, oysters/crackers/horseradish/hot sauce, beer, sports on the TV, and good bar tenders. I want that right now actually.

Anywhere else that I get oysters, I get them steamed.

I love oysters but a lot of that is the experience. Most of the raw oysters I've eaten were at the half shell raw bar in key west right on the water. The smell of the ocean, oysters/crackers/horseradish/hot sauce, beer, sports on the TV, and good bar tenders. I want that right now actually.

So, basically it’s everything but the oysters themselves that draws you in?

100% this. My preferred location is the Islamorada Fish Market in the Keys. With Gator Sauce and horseradish. Im sure you know the place if you have been to Key West. I usually get a grouper or mahi mahi sandwich as the actual meal.

They are slimy and have no real taste themselves.
Super fresh ones right off the shell are actually delicious, and not slimy.

A pal of mine and I were in South Carolina and got some at a marina-side bar one fall afternoon where they were taking them straight off the boat and into the kitchen. I think we each ate more than 2 dozen, washed down with about a six pack of beer. One of my all-time greatest meals.

100% this. My preferred location is the Islamorada Fish Market in the Keys. With Gator Sauce and horseradish. Im sure you know the place if you have been to Key West. I usually get a grouper or mahi mahi sandwich as the actual meal.

I lived on Summerland Key so the only time I visited Islamorada was while driving through either on the way to Miami or Tallahassee. Marathon is about as far north as I would go for food and that was rare.

Reactions: Gus is dead
I’ve never tried raw oysters on the shell, but imagine they’d be about as tasty as going down on the John Deere Harvester gangbang girl - at the end of her shift.

Fresh raw oysters are amazing. My guess is some of the HORT poors are getting theirs at the bargain dump at HyVee. Then yes, they have gone bad. Oh so bad.

Reactions: torbee

A pal of mine and I were in South Carolina and got some at a marina-side bar one fall afternoon where they were taking them straight off the boat and into the kitchen. I think we each ate more than 2 dozen, washed down with about a six pack of beer. One of my all-time greatest meals.

Sounds perfect, but hoping you two didn't have a car ride back to Iowa the next day - that would have required windows down.

• Haha
Reactions: torbee and GOHOX69
I gave the grandson an oyster, Pap, how many times do i swallow, until it stays down. Enough said on this subject.

I broke down and ate some in Depoe Bay, OR, last October, and it was a struggle to eat them. Lightly breaded and pan fried. Great setting overlooking the ocean with whales off in the distance, and seals frolicking below the restaurant, but DAMN, those things were terrible. The only reason I kept going was because I'd paid for them and figured eventually I'd hit a tasty one.

• Wow
Reactions: McLovin32
I broke down and ate some in Depoe Bay, OR, last October, and it was a struggle to eat them. Lightly breaded and pan fried. Great setting overlooking the ocean with whales off in the distance, and seals frolicking below the restaurant, but DAMN, those things were terrible. The only reason I kept going was because I'd paid for them and figured eventually I'd hit a tasty one.
Interesting reading my posts in this thread 2 years later. I have not changed my mind. Smoked, Rockefeller, or breaded and fried are pretty good. I did not enjoy raw oysters whatsoever.

For the best, you have to be in Lousiana in the spring. Crawfish boils, crawfish etoufee, crawfish pie...

At my previous job, had to go to New Orleans for 3 weeks to work on a project. Found some little mom and pop, hole in the wall place in a little strip mall with crawfish and oysters for cheap.

Had some old guy sitting in the corner just cleaning fresh oysters right as they were brought in.

Went there almost nightly and got 1 lb of crawfish and 2 dozen oysters and about 6 Abita beers (all paid for by the company credit card) and it was amazing (was walking distance back to my hotel).

I could shit through a screen door at 20 paces mind you, but the food I must say was worth it.

jeremiah tower oyster GIF by The Orchard Films

steam cooking GIF

Reactions: torbee
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT