Votes: 12 22.6%
  • For showing up other churchgoers?

Votes: 26 49.1%
  • For themselves?

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • Other?

Votes: 7 13.2%

• Total voters
People used to dress up a lot more at Catholic Churches as well. When I was a kid shorts were a no no.
Look at clothing in general in this world. No one dresses up anymore. Sweat pants are common apparel when someone leaves the house now days. Hell I had someone show up to an interview in jeans with holes and a stocking hat that he wore the whole time. lol.

If I'm at home, I enjoy dressing like a slob. But when I'm at work, I like to dress for the job I want. I often overdress my superiors. And that is fine. But I think my opinions are more valid to them if I dress the role (even if I don't necessarily always know what I'm talking about). It gives me the benefit the doubt.

I don't believe that.

There's some truth in every mainstream religion.

But of course, you know better than all that.
I don’t necessarily throw the baby out with the bathwater. I, believe it or not, am not entirely anti-religious. I think man created religion to try to explain unanswerable questions in addition to using it to intimidate and control people, but I don’t think it’s entirely bad. As the Liberty Bell chap said, it can bring comfort to many people and some do remarkable community service work in the name of their god. I just know a lot of religious texts contain factual errors and contradictions and too many in religion have been truly awful people.

Regardless, I still believe in a higher form of intelligence responsible for the cosmos. I just don’t believe whatever this higher intelligence, or creator if you will, is has been revealed or actually intervenes in the affairs of men. I think this higher being has been perfectly hidden and unintelligible to mankind from the beginning and remains that way to this day.

I don’t claim certainty one way or the other, and if religious people were truly honest, they would acknowledge that truth applies to them as well.

Reactions: Ree4
If I'm at home, I enjoy dressing like a snob. But when I'm at work, I like to dress for the job I want. I often overdress my superiors. And that is fine. But I think my opinions are more valid to them if I dress the role (even if I don't necessarily always know what I'm talking about). It gives me the benefit the doubt.
He’s a brown nose, Lou.
Look at you polishing the apple for the teacher.

I don’t necessarily throw the baby out with the bathwater. I, believe it or not, am not entirely anti-religious. I think man created religion to try to explain unanswerable questions in addition to using it to intimidate and control people, but I don’t think it’s entirely bad. As the Liberty Bell chap said, it can bring comfort to many people and some do remarkable community service work in the name of their god. I just know a lot of religious texts contain factual errors and contradictions and too many in religion have been truly awful people.

Regardless, I still believe in a higher form of intelligence responsible for the cosmos. I just don’t believe whatever this higher intelligence, or creator if you will, is has been revealed or actually intervenes in the affairs of men. I think this higher being has been perfectly hidden and unintelligible to mankind from the beginning and remains that way to this day.

I don’t claim certainty one way or the other, and if religious people were truly honest, they would acknowledge that truth applies to them as well.

OK.

What about shorts to Church?
Aren't you the one that is always complaining that too many people do not attend church? You should be happy that they are there no matter what they are wearing. Do you realize how shallow you look? BTW, from my experience, many of the ones who dress up for church are mainly there to be seen, and not for the religious reasons.

Reactions: BrianNole777
A Christian Church is referred to as God's House.
Christians wear proper clothing to show respect
for the God they have come to Worship on Sunday.
I’m with you, but I’ve always felt a crisp pair of jeans or slacks and a high quality shirt beats a 50 year old, salmon colored polyester blend suit with wide lapels and big white stitching.

Aren't you the one that is always complaining that too many people do not attend church? You should be happy that they are there no matter what they are wearing. Do you realize how shallow you look? BTW, from my experience, many of the ones who dress up for church are mainly there to be seen, and not for the religious reasons.

That's true. It's good they show up at all even if they're dressed like they're going to a football game. :)

Maybe all churches are like this as I'm no longer a churchgoer, but I've been married to 2 Catholics now, and I have been surprised what Catholics wear to church given how judgmental some of them are.

I was raised Lutheran and I don't remember shorts jeans and t-shirts when I was growing up. Maybe I'm not remembering correctly, but I remember men dressed up in suits and ties and kids at least had to put some dress pants.
LOL I grew up Catholic and until the 90’s Catholics didn’t wear shorts and tee shirts to church.
I can remember my parents dressing up -Daddy wore a suit and Mom a dress, hat, and gloves. We kids were dressed up too.
Slowly it evolved but I still see a few men in suits. I see lots of folks in the Baptist Congregation next door still get dressed up.
Historically speaking the Church was a social center and folks liked wearing “Sunday best”. Every other day was farm and work wear. You bathed on Saturday night and dressed up on Sunday. It was day of rest too and you wouldn’t be messing up your good clothes behind a plow.
It’s not about religion at all. It’s about the Church being the community gathering place in rural or big city settings.
I’m not surprised you’d make some remark about Catholics being “judgmental”. Lutherans aren’t especially enthusiastic about Catholicism. The Episcopalians (the other “Catholic lite” faith) are much friendlier. (My SIL and her family are Lutherans and they’re nice though)
How’d you ever convince two Catholic girls to marry you?

You know who dresses up the most at my parish now? Filipinos. Hispanics. The Lebanese and Syrians. Cause that’s how they are accustomed.
Not a big deal.

Yes, a bad assumption on my part.
Like it's stuff like this

b48ZAOL.png

LOL I grew up Catholic and until the 90’s Catholics didn’t wear shorts and tee shirts to church.
I can remember my parents dressing up -Daddy wore a suit and Mom a dress, hat, and gloves. We kids were dressed up too.
Slowly it evolved but I still see a few men in suits. I see lots of folks in the Baptist Congregation next door still get dressed up.
Historically speaking the Church was a social center and folks liked wearing “Sunday best”. Every other day was farm and work wear. You bathed on Saturday night and dressed up on Sunday. It was day of rest too and you wouldn’t be messing up your good clothes behind a plow.
It’s not about religion at all. It’s about the Church being the community gathering place in rural or big city settings.
I’m not surprised you’d make some remark about Catholics being “judgmental”. Lutherans aren’t especially enthusiastic about Catholicism. The Episcopalians (the other “Catholic lite” faith) are much friendlier. (My SIL and her family are Lutherans and they’re nice though)

You know who dresses up the most at my parish now? Filipinos. Hispanics. The Lebanese and Syrians. Cause that’s how they are accustomed.
Not a big deal.

I hope you'll show up tomorrow regardless of what you wear. :)

www.masstimes.org

As long as fat women don’t wear spandex to church, I can just about handle people wearing shorts or jeans to church. Especially the modern services with the “band”. I wanna throw up when I see the hogs in the spandex. There should be laws on the books to prevent that from happening.

• Wow
As long as fat women don’t wear spandex to church, I can just about handle people wearing shorts or jeans to church. Especially the modern services with the “band”. I wanna throw up when I see the hogs in the spandex. There should be laws on the books to prevent that from happening.
Yikes. 😳

Not a big deal.

Because I'm sweet guy;) Didn't take much convincing. The first one just wanted the money of an attorney. The second one is better than I deserve but like all people can be a bit much at times. She is a perfectionist. I'm not. Makes me better though.

Edit: I can be a bit much at at times as well. I'd be annoyed with me at times.

LOL. This is not what Psalm 96:9 says, at least not in the King James version.

It doesn't say: "Worship the Lord in Holy attire?"

I understand your point. It's great people show up to Church regardless of how they're dressed.

I attend a Church where I'm sure most of the adults have more money than me...but they still dress down.

At least, most of them do. :)

It doesn't say: "Worship the Lord in Holy attire?"

I understand your point. It's great people show up to Church regardless of how they're dressed.

I attend a Church where I'm sure most of the adults have more money than me...but they still dress down.

At least, most of them do. :)
You should know it doesn't. It says "Worship the Lord in the splendor of his holiness." If you want to interpret a bible verse that was written over 2000 years ago to mean "in Holy attire", go for it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT