ADVERTISEMENT

Why Kadyn Proctor flipped from Iowa to Alabama (again)

In its 10th game Michigan goes on the road and beats a top 10 PSU team

In its 12th game Michigan beats a top 5 tOSU

In its 14th game Michigan beats a top 5 Bama

In its 15th game Michigan beats a top 5 UW

That is 3 top 5 wins in 6 games and 4 top 10 wins in those 6...did I mention that one of the other games was against a ranked opponent and the other against a team with a winning record...

It wasn't just one game it was six...stop being obtuse...you have to do more than win one game in short period to win a natty

Ferentz is very respected by NFL GMs and don’t think for one second this won’t impact Kadyn’s draft potential. Classic forest through the trees miss on his part imo.
You'd think a phone call would take place. NFL GM ->KF

Proctor to Alabama not a done deal? Heard he was at Isu practice today. Looking for another payday maybe
Rumors, rumors, rumors aplenty.

As has been stated in several previous posts, KP was not well accepted in IC from the upperclassmen once he arrived.
Supposedly was insulted that he wasn't listed #1 on depth chart and things went south from there.

I imagine ISU could somehow come up with the $$$, but I can't imagine ISU guys would feel any different than the reception he got in IC?

Sounds like a locker room cancer.

As has been stated in several previous posts, KP was not well accepted in IC from the upperclassmen once he arrived.
Supposedly was insulted that he wasn't listed #1 on depth chart and things went south from there.

I imagine ISU could somehow come up with the $$$, but I can't imagine ISU guys would feel any different than the reception he got in IC?

Gotta believe they would welcome him considering he turned down their instate rivals….and HC might pull out all of the stops he was expecting at Iowa.

Insulated that they didn't list him as the #1?

Had he even done anything yet? Besides having his mom call up the coaches?

What a joke.

Reactions: onionman1
Oh...so your points are that what experts say, what the statistics are and what happens in a sport that is not FB is irrelevant?

You have no point

The fact is Michigan is the one team in playoff history to win a NC without being a top 5 recruiter...it's called culture. If you want to believe you would have gotten into the playoff every year with our recruits...well don't stop believing bro...there's no way to validate this but it sounds ridiculous

Fwiw...I don't watch ESPN....I clearly said Fox and ESPN...We are a Fox conference and that's what I watch (for sports that is)...I just have gotten a kick out of the youtube stuff posted on my board about what the ESPN talking heads had said leading up to our NC and after...they finally agreed with the Fox guys who would say you're a moron and don't get it
Called being fccking cheaters.

Wouldn’t we all like to know what “basic information “ the parents were seeking? Some of us skeptics might think it related to money or something similar.

Reactions: hawk224
Madman….Destin is about 50 east of Alabama……did you go to the bathroom a lot during your junior high geography class? Pretty. Sure the Gulf is there…..unless Trump transacted some real estate.
I am aware of the location of Destin.

My point is the The Gulf of Mexico is part of the Atlantic Ocean.

Reactions: pistachio1999
Behind the scenes, teammates didn't exactly welcome him with open arms. Rather, they were skeptical that the same player who flipped his commitment the day before signing day was truly all-in on Iowa's culture, which hammers home the idea that no one is granted special treatment, whether it's a five-star recruit or a half-a-star recruit.
Turns out they had a right to be skeptical and Proctor ended up proving them to be exactly right. These kids know what's going on. You can't fool the locker room.

Maybe the upperclassman didn't like the fact that the new guy was coming in to take one of their spots. It's not like any of them has shown themselves to be a quality OT yet and everyone and their brother assumed Proctor would be taking the LT spot day one. I could see some friction there.

Maybe the upperclassman didn't like the fact that the new guy was coming in to take one of their spots. It's not like any of them has shown themselves to be a quality OT yet and everyone and their brother assumed Proctor would be taking the LT spot day one. I could see some friction there.
He dissed the entire Hawkeye football family the first time. How do you think he would be treated by his teammates?

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
He dissed the entire Hawkeye football family the first time. How do you think he would be treated by his teammates?

Well he wasn't wrong was he? The Iowa offense, and particularly the offensive line was a total dumpster fire. There was no doubt that he had a better opportunity at Alabama. He started as a freshman at left tackle for a championship contender. How many players on this Iowa oline would have even sniffed the 2-deeps at Alabama, let alone started at left tackle?

Well he wasn't wrong was he? The Iowa offense, and particularly the offensive line was a total dumpster fire. There was no doubt that he had a better opportunity at Alabama. He started as a freshman at left tackle for a championship contender. How many players on this Iowa oline would have even sniffed the 2-deeps at Alabama, let alone started at left tackle?
Not disagreeing with you, you were contemplating why his teammates were salty, no?

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Not disagreeing with you, you were contemplating why his teammates were salty, no?
Correct. I have no inside information. I'm just looking at it from the perspective of someone that's been in the program working hard for 4-5 years and having someone come in from the outside with everyone assuming that he's better and that he's taking my or my buddy's job on day 1. I might not be feeling too warm and fuzzy upon his arrival.

Reactions: Thunderlips71
Correct. I have no inside information. I'm just looking at it from the perspective of someone that's been in the program working hard for 4-5 years and having someone come in from the outside with everyone assuming that he's better and that he's taking my or my buddy's job on day 1. I might not be feeling too warm and fuzzy upon his arrival.
Meh, I think everyone knows you have to earn your spot. I don't think any of his team mates thought anything other then they have to compete for their spot and they have to do that at all times anyway. Now the other way around seems much more plausible, that he did not feel like he had to earn his spot, being on a national contender team, as you said. I mean if we look at all sides of this and think what is more likely.

I was trying to be subtle because this situation had little to nothing to do with Michigan...maybe I was a little too subtle...

The interesting thing, to me, is a lot of this story keeps coming back to his interaction with teammates. I seem to remember reading he "chose" to live alone when he got to IC. There are of course two sides (sometimes even more) to every story but is it possible the players didn't embrace him and essentially ran him off? From the article that started this thread it seems he was not exactly welcomed (by the players) with open arms.

Stuff like that makes a HUGE difference. People want to put this 100% on the kid and I'm sure he played his part but maybe the O players chased him off without giving him a real chance...moreover, would things have been way different if they embraced him and said "we'll show you the way?"

Again, many want to put this all on the kid but it looks the Bama players welcomed him back and even encouraged it. Bama is not a lazy program so it looks like this kid is not the lazy entitled brat that some are trying to paint him as...and he is not a pariah as it appears they invited him to hang on spring break.

Your O has been flat out broken...maybe it wasn't only a BF problem...maybe it is a culture problem (on O specifically...cant doubt your D)?
This is a post that can only come from an arrogant fan of an arrogant school. That cheats, BTW.

Did you not see/hear/read all that Proctor said the first time he flipped? He basically said his former future teammates were beneath him, that he would have come in with the pressure of "already" being "the best", and that he would have been "settling". How does any self-respecting player welcome an asshat like THAT into your program?

No...

I'm asking questions...you don't think my own base has many that jump to conclusions on situations like this? According to many in my fan base the only reason, these days, we ever loose a recruit is because of NIL...or our admissions

It's partly true but not the only reasons...

Michigan has not recruited at a truly elite level for a while...we get 10-15 ranked classes and develop them...10-15 makes you pretty good but doesn't win you a NC...UNTIL WE DID THAT

A HUGE part of the has been the portal...we only bring in a few each year but we've gotten out of it... Outland & Rimington winner, multiple All B10 players and guys who propelled us to an NC

My narrative is simple...I saw how a "development program" won the NC...90% of that was culture...hell, our biggest gets were on OL...a position we had super depth...we went went two deep with guys who could start for 90% of P5 guys and brought in more...to make it 3 deep...and the guys who where in line to play still stayed...they even embraced the new guys...THAT IS CULTURE

Stop blaming the kid and start asking why your culture doesn't integrate the new guys

Btw....our fan base thinks Cade is an entitled little btch...thinks even worse of him than you do of KP...do you agree? Do you think fans sometimes overreact maybe?
You left out the culture of sign-stealing. THAT'S how a team with 10-15 ranked recruiting classes win a natty. Then the coach, who has twice lied to the NCAA, jumps ship.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
To be fair. This is a story because it's a hometown 5 * at Iowa. At Florida, Texas, USC, Georgia, or Ohio State, this is a one week headline. Alabama will not be playing Iowa in the next three years. Time to move on, give attention to the guys on the team.

Feed a fever or starve a cold. Which one will we embrace?

Reactions: thunderstruck1
To be fair. This is a story because it's a hometown 5 * at Iowa. At Florida, Texas, USC, Georgia, or Ohio State, this is a one week headline. Alabama will not be playing Iowa in the next three years. Time to move on, give attention to the guys on the team.

Feed a fever or starve a cold. Which one will we embrace?
It’s a story for what you said, and he punked the team twice.

It will be interesting to see how professional teams react to this incident in a few years…if it affects his draft status in any way.
I posted previously, one has to believe there at least will be a phone call made from an NFL team to KF. Character might be a factor....I saw Draft Day, lol. For reals though, a team spending millions on an individual I would make a call. Could impact his contract if he makes it to the NFL. He's no Wirfs and I think he should call and ask him not to wear his number.

Well, it was....

Here's the first 15 paragraphs:

Pinning down the exact moment Kadyn Proctor realized he wanted to return to Alabama, abandoning Iowa at the altar for a second time and becoming the focus of an intense national debate about what commitment means in an era of unchecked player movement in college sports, is next to impossible. We can't claim to know what was inside the star offensive tackle's mind, and so far he isn't speaking publicly.

But there's an image that stands out above all others, a picturesque opening scene for a story that's unique to amateur athletics: near Destin, Florida, a popular vacation spot for coaches like Kirby Smart and Mark Stoops. A thousand miles from Des Moines but a world away.

It was there, earlier in March, that Proctor went on a trip with friends and former teammates from Alabama, who were out of school on spring break. They enjoyed bright skies and warm white sand beaches, good food and good vibes.

Forget for a moment that Proctor is 6-foot-7 and weighs more than 300 pounds. Forget that he's been a public figure since he was in middle school, earning dozens of scholarship offers and drawing comparisons to fellow Iowa native and NFL All-Pro Tristan Wirfs. Forget that he's a former five-star prospect who was selected as a Freshman All-American last season and has played on many of the game's biggest stages. What's important to remember in the context of this story about rash decisions and regret is his age: 18 years old.

This was the first time Kadyn Proctor had ever seen the ocean.

As you might expect, sources say, he was amazed.

Did he look out into the crashing waves and make up his mind then to rejoin his old teammates in Tuscaloosa — two months after entering the transfer portal and enrolling at Iowa? Who knows? But shortly after returning home, he started putting plans into motion. He removed himself from a team group chat. He then went into head coach Kirk Ferentz's office to tell him he was leaving.

On March 19 — the day before spring practice was set to begin and what would have been Proctor's unofficial debut as the highest-ranked recruit in Iowa history — news broke that he was going to transfer again and planned to return to Alabama.

Proctor never said a word. Attempts to set up an interview with him were unsuccessful. But he seemingly confirmed the reports with an Instagram story he posted featuring an image of Michael Jordan and his famed one-sentence announcement marking his return to basketball in 1995: "I'm back."

At the Crimson Tide's pro day the following day, offensive tackle JC Latham was asked about Proctor's sudden change of heart. He said of Alabama, "We're the standard, you know?"

"The grass is always greener in other places," he added, "so when things happen and you think it might be better somewhere else, you get to find out the hard way that it's not."

According to sources close to Proctor, a return to Tuscaloosa was looking more and more like a possibility before he ever went on vacation. For weeks, there had been a building sense of discontent –a feeling that an Iowa homecoming wasn't all it was cracked up to be and that, on the flip side, perhaps Alabama wasn't as bad as Proctor had made it out to be last season.

That phrase Latham used – about the grass not being greener – was repeated often by sources who witnessed Proctor realize the weight of the decision he made by transferring in January.

From the outside, Proctor's arrival at Iowa had the look of the prodigal son returned. You'd think that the highest-rated recruit in state history playing for the Hawkeyes would have commanded a certain amount of attention. But Iowa never formally announced Proctor's return and didn't feature him in workout videos released by the football program – standard operating procedure to feed fan interest.

Iowa, according to sources, wanted to avoid the appearance that anything was being handed to Proctor without him having to earn it. They weren't going to roll out the red carpet. Behind the scenes, teammates didn't exactly welcome him with open arms. Rather, they were skeptical that the same player who flipped his commitment the day before signing day was truly all-in on Iowa's culture, which hammers home the idea that no one is granted special treatment, whether it's a five-star recruit or a half-a-star recruit.
Players who transfer more than once should have to sit out a year. Iowas record with prima donnas has not been to good. That said good riddance...

Reactions: NWADC9
It’s a story for what you said, and he punked the team twice.
Hiring an O.C is a story as well. But we don't fixate on it for months on end. I'm not saying we shouldn't have feelings on this, but I just expect this to happen yearly. I wonder how his teammates at Alabama truly view him. The lines are true brotherhoods. Procter seems flippant at best.

Hiring an O.C is a story as well. But we don't fixate on it for months on end. I'm not saying we shouldn't have feelings on this, but I just expect this to happen yearly. I wonder how his teammates at Alabama truly view him. The lines are true brotherhoods. Procter seems flippant at best.
We did fixate on it

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT