ADVERTISEMENT

Will Jack McCaffery end up at Iowa in the end?

Thats not even remotely close to reality.

That Oregon team was no where near the level of teams like Baylor or even Gonzaga in terms of quickness and athleticism.

Oregon got blown out the next game by USC who then got blown out by Gonzaga who turned around and got blown out by Baylor.

Its not that that particular game was a choke its that the season was a choke.

Fran played Connor, Jbo and CJ all year, and left Toussaint, Perkins and Kris on the bench and didn't start Keegan.

He surrounded Garza with a bunch of other bad defenders when Luka Weiskamp and Keegan could have carried two poor shooting guards if those guards could have played defense.

Iowa got destroyed by Oregon because of the complete lack of ability to defend by the back court.

Guys like Izzo sacrifice wins early to gain give their young talent the experience necessary to maximize potential at the end of the season. Fran usually takes the opposite approach and the results are consistent.
Keegan got plenty of PT that season (even moved into the starting lineup when CJF got hurt, IIRC), he was solid but not a star like he was the following season. Kris played sparingly and, when he did play that season, looked like a guy that should only be used sparingly.

Oregon was far more athletic than Iowa, which is the only thing that's relevant here. If you can't see that, then you are blind. It's not debatable. They won the Pac12 regular season crown and were a good team, as was the USC team that beat them. If they benched CJ and JBo in favor of Toussaint and Perkins, like you suggest, maybe the offense is still good but I'm skeptical - I think teams would sag way off of Toussaint and Perkins, crowd the lane, which would hamper Garza's effectiveness.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
Keegan got plenty of PT that season (even moved into the starting lineup when CJF got hurt, IIRC), he was solid but not a star like he was the following season. Kris played sparingly and, when he did play that season, looked like a guy that should only be used sparingly.

Oregon was far more athletic than Iowa, which is the only thing that's relevant here. If you can't see that, then you are blind. It's not debatable. They won the Pac12 regular season crown and were a good team, as was the USC team that beat them. If they benched CJ and JBo in favor of Toussaint and Perkins, like you suggest, maybe the offense is still good but I'm skeptical - I think teams would sag way off of Toussaint and Perkins, crowd the lane, which would hamper Garza's effectiveness.
Lol, obviously. Thats the whole point. When you sit all of your players who could play defense in favor of shooters who are terrible on defense that is where you end up.

Iowa was a better team the year before playing Toussaint at pg with Connor. Two players that everyone sagged off of.

I will admit CJ and Connor were much better defenders the year before when not injured, but that just solidifies my point.

Reactions: littlez

That Oregon team was no where near the level of teams like Baylor or even Gonzaga in terms of quickness and athleticism.

Oregon got blown out the next game by USC who then got blown out by Gonzaga who turned around and got blown out by Baylor.

Fran played Connor, Jbo and CJ all year, and left Toussaint, Perkins and Kris on the bench and didn't start Keegan.

He surrounded Garza with a bunch of other bad defenders when Luka Weiskamp and Keegan could have carried two poor shooting guards if those guards could have played defense.

Iowa got destroyed by Oregon because of the complete lack of ability to defend by the back court.

Guys like Izzo sacrifice wins early to gain give their young talent the experience necessary to maximize potential at the end of the season. Fran usually takes the opposite approach and the results are consistent.
Izzo will also get picked if his team is on the bubble. Fran will not get that benefit. I agree that the bench/role players need additional pt early but not at the expense of victories.

People talk about that 2020-2021 team like it was some monumental choke job and I just don't get it at all. Garza and Weezy are NBA benchwarmers. Neither has the athleticism required to actually get minutes in the NBA. In 2020-21, the Murrays still needed another year of development before they could be impactful.
College basketball is not the NBA, just because their game did not translate to the next level does not mean it's an excuse of why we can't get it done in March.

Remember, we're allies when it comes to this issue man. Believe me lmao.

Wisconsin cracked the code for how to win with White Boys. Which is a necessity for programs in our area/region. Fran's system is quite literally the polar opposite of how to win at Iowa.

Exhibit A: the utterly humiliating Oregon debacle from 2021.
you mean when thery lost 3 starters to injury. but yeah Fran should have still just rolled over Oregon who had 3 SR starters with 2 more SR's that came off the bench
vs these
FR Keegan Murray
FR Kris Murray
SO Ogundele
SO Patrick
SO Baer a former walk on
SO Perkins

SR's vs FR and SO's is not even close to being a = level of competition. why do 99.9 % IGNORE the fact that Oregon did not have to play their 1st game which allowed Oregon to it in the stands and watch IA play the whole game.

this is the way with msg posters IGNORE the truth and make up lies to fit their narritive of what really happened.

I don't care honestly. If he wasnt Frans kid I wouldnt even care who he was. I'm not a big fan a Frans recruiting.

Edit: I'm not a fan of who he recruits for the system he runs.
I have seen the highlight videos shared here over the past year or two and my #1 question is still there. How athletic is he? I know he is tall, can handle the ball and is a good shooter. Does that translate to being better than either of his brothers?

Reactions: Fan In Black
Jack and the family have been far too public with this to change direction anymore,.. I think they're in too deep to back track at this point..
This.

Whine and complain about the toxicity of social media while having no problem cashing million dollar checks, then use it to bash people on social media. Margaret is coming off as a Karen and Fran needs to tell her to shut up about her complaints toward her sons and Jack’s and his future at or not at Iowa.

I like Fran and what he has done but him playing PMac ahead of Keegan off the bench when they were freshman was criminal. Not saying PMac isn’t a good player but you could see Keegan could play offense and defend better. Rose colored father glasses do that sometimes.

you mean when thery lost 3 starters to injury. but yeah Fran should have still just rolled over Oregon who had 3 SR starters with 2 more SR's that came off the bench
vs these
FR Keegan Murray
FR Kris Murray
SO Ogundele
SO Patrick
SO Baer a former walk on
SO Perkins

SR's vs FR and SO's is not even close to being a = level of competition. why do 99.9 % IGNORE the fact that Oregon did not have to play their 1st game which allowed Oregon to it in the stands and watch IA play the whole game.

this is the way with msg posters IGNORE the truth and make up lies to fit their narritive of what really happened.
You're just ridiculous. We were a 2 or 3 seed. Yes, you can argue that Oregon was a little under-seeded but they weren't the second coming of Kareem and UCLA. Solid team in a league half of our posters on here love to make fun of. And we struggled to beat Grand Canyon in the 1st round as they went up and down the court scoring on us. The backcourt as @RocknRollface has said over and over was just torched, injured or not. Maybe the Murray bros were not quite ready for prime time but they were both 1st round picks, something we haven't had in forever. They were clearly good enough to play more, and if Cmac, JBo and Frederick were all hurt we had plenty of depth behind them. Fran had no plan B and we got absolutely torched.

You're just ridiculous. We were a 2 or 3 seed. Yes, you can argue that Oregon was a little under-seeded but they weren't the second coming of Kareem and UCLA. Solid team in a league half of our posters on here love to make fun of. And we struggled to beat Grand Canyon in the 1st round as they went up and down the court scoring on us. The backcourt as @RocknRollface has said over and over was just torched, injured or not. Maybe the Murray bros were not quite ready for prime time but they were both 1st round picks, something we haven't had in forever. They were clearly good enough to play more, and if Cmac, JBo and Frederick were all hurt we had plenty of depth behind them. Fran had no plan B and we got absolutely torched.
Agree. The excuse train Fran made after the fact didn’t help once we heard about the injuries to those three you stated.

Add in Oregon didn’t play a first round game due to their opponent having to forfeit due to a Covid outbreak so Oregon got to game plan and rest instead of having a quick turn around to do both vs the Hawks. That was an advantage but being the NCAA tourney, and March madness, if you can’t get up for a game like that then I don’t know what to say.

Last edited:
what depth? FR and SO's one of those SO's Ogundele.

neither of the Murray's were 1st RND Draft picks as FR, only those fools that keep lying to themselves who can try to keep spinning this to fit their narrative.

what depth? FR and SO's one of those SO's Ogundele.

neither of the Murray's were 1st RND Draft picks as FR, only those fools that keep lying to themselves who can try to keep spinning this to fit their narrative.
So now you are taking shots at Odundele? Picking on the Murrays as FR?
Thought we were taking the high road and not taking shots at players or employees at Iowa. At least I thought I read from some poster that should be our first priority.

Rick Heller says he appreciates that mindset.

I hate to even somewhat agree with Karnack on anything, but Kris Murray as a freshman was simply not very good (for a D-1 player). He worked, got better, and deserved what he got because of it. He did not deserve more playing time as a freshman. To say he should have is simply revisionist history.

Reactions: iahawks10
Izzo will also get picked if his team is on the bubble. Fran will not get that benefit. I agree that the bench/role players need additional pt early but not at the expense of victories.

Could you imagine the message board if Fran was sacrificing early season wins in lieu of PT for younger players?

Starting guards that game were 0-8.
Could you imagine the message board if Fran was sacrificing early season wins in lieu of PT for younger players?
You don't have to sacrifice wins to get playing time for younger guys. It's an issue for Michigan State because they're pre-season schedule is insanely tough every year. And he knows his teams are almost always going to be better because of it down the road. So getting experience for these young guys is key. We play a few worthwhile non con games a year, maybe 4-5 depending on what tournament we get in plus normally the Big Ten/ACC challenge, which can be a crapshoot as well, and normally Iowa State. The rest are basically the Washington Generals. We're no different than most schools, just saying that's the way it is. And if we lose a game to one of the 4-5 good non con games we play it's not that big of a deal because as a top 3 league every year pretty much every game you play doesn't hurt your power ranking.

IA as a rule does not have the talent to play everybody. comparing IA to MSU is like comparing a apple to a water melon NO CONTEST.

True that it’s not a fair comparison between Iowa’s freshmen (incoming recruits) and MSU’s.

I hate to even somewhat agree with Karnack on anything, but Kris Murray as a freshman was simply not very good (for a D-1 player). He worked, got better, and deserved what he got because of it. He did not deserve more playing time as a freshman. To say he should have is simply revisionist history.

The idea that Kris was a total bum/inept as a Freshman and then the light suddenly turned on when he was a Sophomore seems far-fetched if you live in a reality based world...the more obvious reason Kris didn't play as a Freshman is Fran needed to insure his two boys got a lot playing time. CMAC and PMAC were unfairly the victims of fan discontent---all the blame/nepotism is due to Fran, the head coach and Barta the Nepo enabler.

Jack supposedly has more talent than CMAC/PMAC. I can see him being a decent offensive player, and a sieve on defense at some other program. If Jack goes to a top program, he'll be required to play hard/tough on defense --that should translate into Jack being a much better player than he would be at Iowa where Fran would pencil him in as starter/heavy minutes guy no matter how he played.

The idea that Kris was a total bum/inept as a Freshman and then the light suddenly turned on when he was a Sophomore seems far-fetched if you live in a reality based world...the more obvious reason Kris didn't play as a Freshman is Fran needed to insure his two boys got a lot playing time. CMAC and PMAC were unfairly the victims of fan discontent---all the blame/nepotism is due to Fran, the head coach and Barta the Nepo enabler.

Jack supposedly has more talent than CMAC/PMAC. I can see him being a decent offensive player, and a sieve on defense at some other program. If Jack goes to a top program, he'll be required to play hard/tough on defense --that should translate into Jack being a much better player than he would be at Iowa where Fran would pencil him in as starter/heavy minutes guy no matter how he played.
both Connor and PMAC were both top 100 4*s by ESPN and 4* by rivals, nepotism be damned no coach at the D1 level is going to make sit while a unranked kid gets playing time,

you and other are now crying in a rear view mirror.

join the real world and get out of fantasy land,

He played in 13 games almost entirely garbage time. So you really have nothing meaningful to base this opinion on.

But assuming that's true, Toussaint and Perkins and even Ulis were ready to defend at the guard spots.

Surrounding Garza with terrible defenders was a bad strategy but the equation will always revolve almost exclusively around offense with Fran.

derp
He played in 13 games almost entirely garbage time. So you really have nothing meaningful to base this opinion on.

But assuming that's true, Toussaint and Perkins and even Ulis were ready to defend at the guard spots.

Surrounding Garza with terrible defenders was a bad strategy but the equation will always revolve almost exclusively around offense with Fran.
Fran plays guys based on Rivals stars dude. Duh. he would never play those guys over the super top 100 guys ahead of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: RocknRollface
IA as a rule does not have the talent to play everybody. comparing IA to MSU is like comparing a apple to a water melon NO CONTEST.

Well Herbster, we aren't talking about Iowa as a rule are we?

Nope, were talking about the only time in the history of this universe that Iowa will have the national player of the year, another guy who got drafted, and two other freshman that went on to be first round draft picks, one a lottery pick.

Now go ahead and type out the same stupid gibberish you do every day, no one cares.

JT, Perkins, and Ulis are irrelevant to my comments. I watched the games - he got the playing time he deserved at that time. You seem to forget that 3/4 of this Board thought both were wasted throw away scholarships. Now those same people think both should have been given starter minutes all along. Maybe, just maybe they were transitioned in properly? And yes, 19-20 year old kids with athletic ability can make huge leaps in 6 months of time if they are willing to put in the time and are surrounded by other high level bball players regularly.

My guess is he will start at another school but the first time he gets benched for shitty defense or being soft on a rebound or loose ball he will strongly consider coming home to dad where that's tolerated
or he will take a few weeks off for anxiety and pout and sulk in a safe space with an emotional support pet.

Reactions: dean_oliver222
JT, Perkins, and Ulis are irrelevant to my comments. I watched the games - he got the playing time he deserved at that time. You seem to forget that 3/4 of this Board thought both were wasted throw away scholarships. Now those same people think both should have been given starter minutes all along. Maybe, just maybe they were transitioned in properly? And yes, 19-20 year old kids with athletic ability can make huge leaps in 6 months of time if they are willing to put in the time and are surrounded by other high level bball players regularly.
As did most everyone here and I find that opinion worthless given the lack of meaningful data.

Im not "those people", so you can save that for someone else.

Keegan obviously should have been a starter and played as many minutes as possible right off the bat.

Whats far more likely than a "not good player" putting up 30 on a big ten opponent a year later is that you improperly evaluated the player based on lack of information.

As did most everyone here and I find that opinion worthless given the lack of meaningful data.

Im not "those people", so you can save that for someone else.

Keegan obviously should have been a starter and played as many minutes as possible right off the bat.

Whats far more likely than a "not good player" putting up 30 on a big ten opponent a year later is that you improperly evaluated the player based on lack of information.
If you’re going to try and quote to appear intelligent at least be accurate. Amazing how you always seem to think you know better but yet somehow you’re just another wanna be with a great ability to second guess. So scoring 30 a year later now means he should have received more playing time the year before? Makes so much sense. Anyone without an axe to grind knows he wasn’t a good D-1 player that year. Note I added D-1 like you so conveniently left off trying to prove your point.

• Haha
JT, Perkins, and Ulis are irrelevant to my comments. I watched the games - he got the playing time he deserved at that time. You seem to forget that 3/4 of this Board thought both were wasted throw away scholarships. Now those same people think both should have been given starter minutes all along. Maybe, just maybe they were transitioned in properly? And yes, 19-20 year old kids with athletic ability can make huge leaps in 6 months of time if they are willing to put in the time and are surrounded by other high level bball players regularly
If you’re going to try and quote to appear intelligent at least be accurate. Amazing how you always seem to think you know better but yet somehow you’re just another wanna be with a great ability to second guess. So scoring 30 a year later now means he should have received more playing time the year before? Makes so much sense. Anyone without an axe to grind knows he wasn’t a good D-1 player that year. Note I added D-1 like you so conveniently left off trying to prove your point.
You should really stick to wrestling where you might have a clue because basketball just isn't your thing. You thinking you can make an assessment of KM his FR yr when he played in 13 of 31 games and averaged 3.2 mins in mostly mop up time is comical. None of us really can because he wasn't really given a chance buried behind the coach's kids and others.

If you could watch that season and not say the Keegan should have been starting and playing more minutes than Connor, especially down the stretch when Connor was injured and basically worthless then you are really clueless about the sport. The eye test was blatant, especially on D, but so was Keegan's 7.2/5.1 in 18 mins vs Connor's 3.3/3.1/3.6 in close to 23 minutes. Keegan's fg pct was .506, Connor's was .324

I won't even bother with what a joke PM starting and playing more than KM in 21-22. If you can't acknowledge Fran's nepotism and how it has undermined the success of the program at this point you're just delusional. Coming from the guy who tried to say college wrestling is more popular than women's bb a few months ago that would be BAU, JFC

Try and quote to appear intelligent? Lol, what? Weird.

You have an opinion and I think its stupid. Thats that.

Theres nothing about an exchange with you that is thought provoking or interesting.

Great post

I always thought that people that complain about social media posts, should stay away from social media. Not a slam on anyone in particular but generally speaking if you are going to be playing college bball in a major conference, it's probably a good idea not to have thin skin.

there is a very large gap between where they started and how they ended.

to say that either one of them were 1st rnd Draft picks as FR's is fool's talk.
Nobody is saying that. What they are saying is that it was clear how much better Keegan was than advertised the minute he stepped on campus. Of course he got better every year but it's not like he could barely dribble and chew gum at the same time. He was better than Patrick from the minute he got to Iowa. And while Kris was a little behind the gap just wasn't that far.

You should really stick to wrestling where you might have a clue because basketball just isn't your thing. You thinking you can make an assessment of KM his FR yr when he played in 13 of 31 games and averaged 3.2 mins in mostly mop up time is comical. None of us really can because he wasn't really given a chance buried behind the coach's kids and others.

If you could watch that season and not say the Keegan should have been starting and playing more minutes than Connor, especially down the stretch when Connor was injured and basically worthless then you are really clueless about the sport. The eye test was blatant, especially on D, but so was Keegan's 7.2/5.1 in 18 mins vs Connor's 3.3/3.1/3.6 in close to 23 minutes. Keegan's fg pct was .506, Connor's was .324

I won't even bother with what a joke PM starting and playing more than KM in 21-22. If you can't acknowledge Fran's nepotism and how it has undermined the success of the program at this point you're just delusional. Coming from the guy who tried to say college wrestling is more popular than women's bb a few months ago that would be BAU, JFC
here are the stats for CMac when the twins were FR.
22.8 MPG, 3.3 PPG, 3.1 RPG. 3.6 APG, 0.6 SPG and 1.0 TO's per game
these were the stats for PMac
14.6 MPG, 5.2 PPG, 2.7 RPG, 0.9 APG, 0.4 SPG and 0.4 TO's pg
yeah their mpg were sure a waste if time from a pair of top 100 4*'s by ESPN with PMac being a top 100 4* by Rivals,

you must be one of those that hate 4* players on this team.

• Haha
Nobody is saying that. What they are saying is that it was clear how much better Keegan was than advertised the minute he stepped on campus. Of course he got better every year but it's not like he could barely dribble and chew gum at the same time. He was better than Patrick from the minute he got to Iowa. And while Kris was a little behind the gap just wasn't that far.
boy you really are good because you got all that out of the time of him just stepping onto the court. wowzer. Fran needs to hire you as a ASSISTANT coach just so you can go recruit

Fran will be going 40-0 every year producing NC every year with your expert analysis on players abilities.

here are the stats for CMac when the twins were FR.
22.8 MPG, 3.3 PPG, 3.1 RPG. 3.6 APG, 0.6 SPG and 1.0 TO's per game
these were the stats for PMac
14.6 MPG, 5.2 PPG, 2.7 RPG, 0.9 APG, 0.4 SPG and 0.4 TO's pg
yeah their mpg were sure a waste if time from a pair of top 100 4*'s by ESPN with PMac being a top 100 4* by Rivals,

you must be one of those that hate 4* players on this team.
Every once and a while you say something so hilarious that I wonder if this whole character is just an act.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT