ADVERTISEMENT

Will Phil Steele choose Iowa to win the West?

ChuckThomas12

Team MVP
Jan 15, 2016
Western Iowa
My (Steele) prediction:

Wisconsin (1a)
Iowa (1b)
Northwestern
Purdue
Minnesota
Nebraska
Illinois

Can Kirk and Brian finally get us over the hump vs Wisconsin? Even Purdue, Minnesota and Nebraska at the bottom of the division are stacking talent and have improving coaching staffs.

It’s definitely not getting any easier in the West.

Reactions: EastCoastHusker
He already released his selections 3 days ago:

1. Nebraska
2. Iowa
3. Wisconsin
4. Minnesota
5. Northwestern
6. Purdue
7. Illinois

giphy.gif

Predicting a prediction... getting some real inception vibes, let's take it a step further and make a prediction within a prediction within a prediction

Regardless if Phil Steele the one who uses the football matrix or is that someone else?

Reactions: Birdmanil
He already released his selections 3 days ago:

1. Nebraska
2. Iowa
3. Wisconsin
4. Minnesota
5. Northwestern
6. Purdue
7. Illinois

I didn't read the article so I'm assuming Steele emphasized the value of Martinez on offense and assumed a substantial improvement on the defense side.

Not convinced that Nebraska's defense will improve as substantially as Steele's forecast but I don't see how they can be worse than last year either. Also, Martinez is indeed one of the most dangerous playmakers in the B10 but questions still remain about the consistency of the OL, especially Center.

Wisconsin suffered quite a bit of attrition - I think they fade this year. Iowa, Minnesota, and Nebraska are my top contenders in the B10W

Reactions: husker2612
I didn't read the article so I'm assuming Steele emphasized the value of Martinez on offense and assumed a substantial improvement on the defense side.

Not convinced that Nebraska's defense will improve as substantially as Steele's forecast but I don't see how they can be worse than last year either. Also, Martinez is indeed one of the most dangerous playmakers in the B10 but questions still remain about the consistency of the OL, especially Center.

Wisconsin suffered quite a bit of attrition - I think they fade this year. Iowa, Minnesota, and Nebraska are my top contenders in the B10W
And their schedule is a lot easier than Iowa’s.

I believe the West will be decided before we play Nebby and they will not win the division. I like the Hawkeyes chances against West team and if we sweep like in 2015 we will win the West.

Neb's 4 toughest games are home vs OSU, Iowa, Wiscy and NW. Toughest road game at Minny? It's a 7-5 team with a 10-2 schedule. Martinez is very good but still over-rated. Easy to pad the offensive stats when the other team is scoring at will. It's expected the Huskers are going to get over-rated by media so they can sell a story every time they might seem to be " back "! Get use to it and their disturbed cult followers every time anything positive happens...fml

And their schedule is a lot easier than Iowa’s.

Yes. Iowa will need to sweep the West or at minimum go 5-1 with the loss being to the right team for tiebreakers. 7-2 could win the division this year in a tiebreak scenario, I'm 99% sure that 8-1 will win it outright.

Highlights of the schedule for each contender.
Iowa - road games are a beotch. At Michigan, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Nebraska. Oh and a game at a ranked Iowa State out of conference for good measure. Iowa's path to the vision is go 2-2 in the conference road games (with 1 of the losses to Michigan), win all the home games and win a tiebreaker. Iowa's crossovers are at Michigan, Penn State at home and Rutgers at home. Penn State appears weaker than previously thought. 2-1 in the crossovers is not unreasonable.
Wisconsin - crossovers with Michigan, MSU, @OSU. Hello. Also play Nebraska and Minnesota on the road. Get Iowa, Northwestern and Purdue at home. There is a path to the division here, but they will have some losses. The new QB will have to be good.
Nebraska - crossovers are OSU and Indiana at home, @Maryland. Also get Northwestern, Iowa and Wisconsin at home. Home field hasn't been what it once was for Nebraska, but if they go 4-1 or better at home in conference they are in business.
Purdue - easiest crossovers of the contenders. @PSU, home with Indiana and Maryland. Can they go 2-2 in the road games? (Iowa, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Penn State). If so, they are in the race. The home game against Nebraska feels like a huge game in the division race.
Minnesota - darkhorse. Crossovers are Rutgers, Penn State, Maryland. Road games at Purdue, Northwestern, Iowa. Seems like 6-6 or 7-5 to me, but I could see a path for them to get to 7-2.
Northwestern - crossovers are OSU and MSU at home, and at Indiana. Also play at Wisconsin and at Nebraska. If the transfer QB is good, Wildcats will have as good a shot as anyone. At some point, they will stop winning every close conference game but Fitz has his guys believing. And they play defense.
Illinois - does not matter. One of the worst power conference teams out there.

Neb's 4 toughest games are home vs OSU, Iowa, Wiscy and NW. Toughest road game at Minny? It's a 7-5 team with a 10-2 schedule. Martinez is very good but still over-rated. Easy to pad the offensive stats when the other team is scoring at will. It's expected the Huskers are going to get over-rated by media so they can sell a story every time they might seem to be " back "! Get use to it and their disturbed cult followers every time anything positive happens...fml

You think Phil Steele only cares about selling magazines? The guy has a monster subscription base made up of hardcore degenerate gamblers. He was going to sell the same number of mags whether he chose Nebraska 1st or 7th.

But I agree with you about the 7-5 to 10-2 point. I believe the 2019 Nebraska team would be 7-5 vs. their 2018 schedule.

Reactions: Bold Words
I believe the West will be decided before we play Nebby and they will not win the division. I like the Hawkeyes chances against West team and if we sweep like in 2015 we will win the West.

We could very well be 1-2 in the Big Ten before we even play a West division team this year. That's a heck of a hole to have to climb out of.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Predicting a prediction... getting some real inception vibes, let's take it a step further and make a prediction within a prediction within a prediction

Yes Nebraska has been asleep for almost 20 years, and the fans still don't realize they are dreaming. Just a bunch of old guys filled with regret.

You had 4 or 5 future 1st Round Draft Picks starting, and you couldn't win a division won by a Northwestern team which allowed more points than they scored.

No coach in America did less with more.

Last I checked it takes more than 4-5 players to actually play the game. Let alone none of those players were 2 way players.

Leave it to skirt fan to think a coach who went 4-8 is better than one who delivered 9-4.

Well, I just discovered how easy it is for me to hate a person. ;)
Lol. They just have a way easier schedule than Iowa this year. I think Wisconsin will be good but not great. Same with Northwestern unless their QB is as good as his ranking in HS but I won’t believe it until I see it.

Reactions: Herkmeister
You think Phil Steele only cares about selling magazines? The guy has a monster subscription base made up of hardcore degenerate gamblers. He was going to sell the same number of mags whether he chose Nebraska 1st or 7th.

But I agree with you about the 7-5 to 10-2 point. I believe the 2019 Nebraska team would be 7-5 vs. their 2018 schedule.
He might have been referring to the media in general. Anytime a blue blood looks to make a move, the media falls all over themselves.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
I would pick Nebraska as well.
I think that NE should be contenders as well, mainly because of their schedule, but their defense allowed approximately 36 points per game last year and they still have question marks at LB.

Also, Martinez is exceptional and the WRs are very good but the Husker OL was very inconsistent and they are breaking in a couple new players. Nebraska may end-up winning the division but they might have to score 38-40 points per game to do it. Basically, everything is riding on Martinez IMO.

Reactions: sirjp07
You had 4 or 5 future 1st Round Draft Picks starting, and you couldn't win a division won by a Northwestern team which allowed more points than they scored.

No coach in America did less with more.
What does their future potential have to do with how they played last year?
You guys really aren't too bright......

Reactions: FlickShagwell
Is he wrong?
About what? That Kirk was the worst coach in the power 5 last year?
Yes, of course he's wrong. It's one of the dumber things I've ever heard him say. You can't claim that the coach who developed the 4 or 5 future first round draft picks from mostly 2 and 3 star talent is now the worst coach in the power 5. It's absolutely ridiculous and shouldn't even be considered serious conversation. Kirk is an excellent coach and as long as he's in town you guys know that you are in for a dog fight or an ass kicking no matter how good you think you are.

You couldn't sweep last year with the division's most talented team and an easy schedule.

All Neb fans do is tout how their recruiting and talent level is so much better than everyone else in the West - they've just been waiting for their savior coach to show up and unleash it on the world.

But I guess Iowa has the most talent when it's convenient for Neb fans to make feeble attempts at taunting.

So, has Iowa dominated Neb because they have more talent or not? Your choice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT