ADVERTISEMENT

Worst atmosphere in the country

Carver can be loud. Look at this video from the Iowa/Dayton NIT game. It was one of the most fun environments I've been to.
The halftime crew even comments about the crowd in this clip.

If I remember right, the NIT game was scheduled on short notice. All of the seats went on sale to the public. I do not think the season ticket holders had their specific seats. And you can tell in the video. Fans are standing on the side court screaming. If you go to a game today at Carver, the first 20 rows are all fans that aren't exactly the enthusiastic type. They're on the old side to put it nicely. They leave with 6 minutes to go in the game to beat the crowd.

That's the problem. The seats near the action need to be had be fans that are into the game. Carver needs to build some sort of suite (not the crap they introduced this year) around row 25 or so that stretches around the arena. Get the older folks there where they can have a great view still and have privacy. Then make rows above that general admission first come/first serve.

Watch this video and you can see how electric Carver can be when you have the diehards sitting near the action.

My brother and I went to this game. He has season tickets, so season ticket holders get first selection. If they refuse their seats, then they go on sale to the general public. This is why the place was rocking. They got some of the fans who care and actually cheer to take the tickets from the fans who either 1. don't show up, or 2. show up but don't cheer. Place was as loud as I've ever heard it. Plus I think tickets were cheaper than they were during regular season prices, which helped.

Oddly enough, the BTN announcers, the ESPN postgame coverage and Coach Capel all commented on the tough environment at Carver. Baer was effusive with his postgame analysis of the crowd as was McCaffery.

Reactions: dawgs_04
Almost all college atmospheres suck nowadays. Outside of basketball schools like Duke, Mich St, Kansas, attendance is down almost everywhere else from the 80's-90's. People have more and better options at home now, why go out in the cold when you can watch it on a 70" flat screen and watch netflix at the same time.

My brother and I went to this game. He has season tickets, so season ticket holders get first selection. If they refuse their seats, then they go on sale to the general public. This is why the place was rocking. They got some of the fans who care and actually cheer to take the tickets from the fans who either 1. don't show up, or 2. show up but don't cheer. Place was as loud as I've ever heard it. Plus I think tickets were cheaper than they were during regular season prices, which helped.
Yes yes you are the bestest fans ever. And since you go to one game a year you can judge the bestest crowds.

Carver Designer had a real affinity for aisles. On TV all you see is about 5 people and then an aisle, then darkness going up. I turned on LVille game and WI game last night. Their arenas look amazing on TV.

Other posters have already pointed this out, but it is much easier on a "one game" basis, especially if importance is placed on that one game. But there are very few venues in the country in which that same "rocking" fans who "cheer and actually cheer" actually show up for the not-as-exciting-and-convenient-for-them games, like against a previously 0-18 Pittsburgh at 8 p.m. on a Tuesday.

-Ha. I have to get a laugh at this. The atmosphere was so bad at Pitt last year when Kevin Stallings and Scott Barnes tried to kill our basketball program with some type of self imposed death penalty, we had literally under 100 fans at some of the games last season and it was like a junior varsity high school game. You could hear the coaches, the players, and the cheerleaders over the crowd during the live games on tv and the internet streams. It was that bad and that sad last year at Pitt. If another Power 5 school accomplishes that type of embarrassment Ill have to see it to believe it.
Our Lickliter years rival your Stallings years.

EP-302039962.jpg&MaxH=500&MaxW=900

Yes yes you are the bestest fans ever. And since you go to one game a year you can judge the bestest crowds.

HE HAS SEASON TICKETS. He goes to every game. I've gone to multiple games every year for the past 15 years or so. I use that experience to base my opinion on. Sorry I didn't put in that explanation in my first post. I'm doing the "bestest" that I can.

Stop blaming the arena. It's the lack of quality basketball over the last 20 years. Alford was a disappointment, Lick was awful and Fran is mediocre. You expect fans to be enthused by 20 years of that?

End of thread.

This is not complicated. At all. Winning will cure all of that, and Iowa basketball hasn't done near enough of that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT