ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling camps

OpenHawkSurgery

Team MVP
Sep 27, 2017
As a new head coach, I was hoping to get some insight for team camps in the eastern Iowa area. The team has previously went to Loras but I am looking around for more options! Any help/insight is much appreciated!

I was never a fan of camps, I see little value in them. The same money is better spent on a few months at a club, even if it’s only a couple nights a week. When my son was in HS his coach made them attend a couple camps in the off season, and it created a lot of resentment. The JV kids didn’t want to spend the money and have to schedule family vacations around a sport that was not serious to them, serious kids like my son resented missing time at his club and interrupting his strength training, while parents resented spending money for a camp that had little value.

I agree, going to camps growing up was basically practice. work some technique and live wrestle instead. It was kind of cool to get away from parents....

Camps are hit or miss.
Most camps are 3-5 days long and have a couple of sessions a day and you get a different quest clinician each day if not each session. They show their favorite move or two and you get about 30 minutes to work on them while the clinician and few other asst coaches are trying to get around to 50-60 kids. Then the next day/session another clinician comes in and shows a completely different unrelated move. I don't thing much is really learned at camps set up this way.
If I were a coach, I would prefer to just have one guy come into my school for my team (hs and Middle school, maybe a hand full of outsiders) and show a one particular series or set of moves from set up to finish and at high level with lots of reps, then given time to go live an try to incorporate them. In other words, rather than having gable steveson come one morning for 1.5 hrs, then David Carr come in the afternoon, and the next day mark Ironside comes in the morning and James green comes in the afternoon, I'd rather have Spencer Lee come in for 3 days and show nothing but turns, or jordan Oliver come in and show nothing but the low single series.

That being said, My kid has gone to the isi camps and they were ok- didn't really learn much and it was more about the live wrestling then anything. Has been to the purler camps and will be going to another one of those and then to the Thorn camp.

Last edited:
Thank you! Was planning on having a couple of UNI guys come this summer for practice once a week. Might just do that instead. Always appreciate insight from other people who have been through it.

Thank you! Was planning on having a couple of UNI guys come this summer for practice once a week. Might just do that instead. Always appreciate insight from other people who have been through it.

I think that would be great. Any D1 kid is an asset in the room, the boys will be excited about it, and the consistency will mean there’s a good chance everyone will pick up one or two key skills that they will actually use during the season.

Reactions: OpenHawkSurgery
Camps were good before we had access to all the technique that we do now. I am talking the 70s - 90s. Now clubs and bringing in top people to work the kids is a better alternative. IMHO

We went to Luther every year. Mixed in a ton of top level wrestling against kids from several other states with all the great outdoors in Iowa can provide. Canoeing, trout fishing, camp fires, all things we will never forget.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT