ADVERTISEMENT

Matscout tweet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My interpretation of the situation(may be wrong, just my opinion) is that Schriever was dealing with an injury. Staff decided to give him as much time as possible to recover before holding the final wrestle-off for the spot, which Teske won.
Because of the late wrestle off, the timeframe to change submission from Schriever to Teske had passed, giving him 14 seed.
This was my understanding too.

Hey greenhorn, GFY. It’s a play on words — ever hear of this dude?
Brian_Shute_Vision_Quest_telephone_pole.jpg

Try not to get too excited about the girth of his log….

Reactions: Bullethawk31
My interpretation of the situation(may be wrong, just my opinion) is that Schriever was dealing with an injury. Staff decided to give him as much time as possible to recover before holding the final wrestle-off for the spot, which Teske won.
Because of the late wrestle off, the timeframe to change submission from Schriever to Teske had passed, giving him 14 seed.
I think you nailed it.

He's more likely to be 1-2 (L Bouzakis, W Norris, L Nagao/Van Dee), which would leave him 8-5 against D1 133 opponents and below the 70% win threshold and also below the 15 match minimum for RPI, so it would depend on whether 8-5 and a 9th+ finish at B1Gs with no bad losses but only 1 quality win (in a tournament against a guy who beat him in the duals) would be good enough to hang on to a coaches rank. It's dicey, but I would bet he gets in anyway, but all of this is unnecessary if Tom would just fill out the paperwork correctly.
Are you following at all? This had nothing to do with paperwork! Tom allowed as much time as possible to Schriever to recover from his injury (which he deserved) before the wrestle off. This timeframe did not allow for the coaches poll to seed Teske who won the wrestle off. The decision was to give Cullan the extra week, they knew and the wrestlers knew the consequences of the late entry.

Trick question?
Taking the team aspects out, from a straight up look at “fairness” to the individuals, this makes perfect sense if true. They gave Cullan a favor for earning the spot by keeping him as the ranked wrestler while giving him maximum time to get ready for the wrestle off. Meanwhile, they told Teske he has earned one last chance to be the guy, but he had to deal with what happens to his seeding as a result.

If that is literally what happened the coaches should be commended versus lambasted like many on here have done so far…

Taking the team aspects out, from a straight up look at “fairness” to the individuals, this makes perfect sense if true. They gave Cullan a favor for earning the spot by keeping him as the ranked wrestler while giving him maximum time to get ready for the wrestle off. Meanwhile, they told Teske he has earned one last chance to be the guy, but he had to deal with what happens to his seeding as a result.

If that is literally what happened the coaches should be commended versus lambasted like many on here have done so far…
MSU you are borderline genius

Tom states he didn't know what the "two or three points" were that required to open up a coaches vote. Clear as bell. Listen again.

genuinely curious but has anyone thought that schriever was a better option than teske since the soldier salute?

i remember early after the frost match i questioned it but i feel like it has become apparent for a couple months that teske was better.
I think it was extremely even and maybe Schriever has owned a slight edge till the second half or third part of the season. Maybe the idea was to keep the two of them as equal options till the end when there would be a wrestle off. The wrestlers knew exactly how things were handled and the coaches obviously would keep them fully aware of this.

I had Teske projected as the 6. not that that was guaranteed but the rest of my projections were pretty on point.

if that were the case, Teske would have hit Bouzakis anyway, just a round later.

the 'we're giving Schriever time to wrestle off' statement maps.

However he (Tom) listed Teske in coaches ranking and Schriever in Big Ten entries, which is 1) odd and 2) suggests that he thought the winner of that wrestle off would be Teske.

I agree 100%. And it appears many have been jumping to conclusions without all the facts. Feels aren’t facts….

I had Teske projected as the 6. not that that was guaranteed but the rest of my projections were pretty on point.

if that were the case, Teske would have hit Bouzakis anyway, just a round later.

However he (Tom) listed Teske in coaches ranking and Schriever in Big Ten entries, which is 1) odd and 2) suggests that he thought the winner of that wrestle off would be Teske.
is it odd? As other have mentioned, if Teske fails to qualify as top 7 by going 1-2, being ranked in the coaches ranking will likely keep him eligible for an At large spot. It seems a key point to this strategy is that Teske was listed for the coaches ranking

Does anyone really expect the Iowa wrestling staff to figure this stuff out? You might as well give them an unannounced exam in calculus, you’ll get the same results.

This is exactly what happened, but the plan probably still needed to be different.

Do they do another coaches ranking after conference championships?

I might be crazy, but I don’t remember them doing that. I tried to google coaches rankings from previous years, and the latest ones I ever saw were mid to late February.
They do another coaches ranking and a final RPI after the conference tourneys. They use these for seeding and at large consideration. I don’t think they release them as they just release the brackets for nationals which is what everyone cares about.

Mar. 10 10:30 p.m. Ranking portal open for Coaches Ranking Panel.
Mar. 11 10 p.m. Ranking portal closes for Coaches Ranking Panel.
Mar. 11 - 13 Selections for the 2024 NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships announced.

Reactions: ping72

I think Brands enters the 1992 roster to be completely honest.

if you actually pay attention, i've defended the Iowa staff over and over. they made a simple mistake.

the blame lies on the ncaa/nwca to not allow a clerical error to result in final allocations that are inaccurate.

i agree that it's not the end of the world and that wrestlers are given a full season to make their case for an at large.

but if you're going to have a system, make the system accurate. imo it's just amateur hour stuff.
Didn’t this happen last year or the year prior as well?

The blame goes to the Iowa coaches. This is an avoidable error, one that simple shouldn’t have been made.

Reactions: LIV4GOD and MVPFAN
Tom is brilliant! This was all part of the plan. He is simply on another level!
I love me some @Grip220 and his constant optimism about Iowa wrestling (much needed around here from time to time) but to claim that this was a strategic decision and not a mistake or oversight is laughable.

Truly crazy take my man!!!

They do another coaches ranking and a final RPI after the conference tourneys. They use these for seeding and at large consideration. I don’t think they release them as they just release the brackets for nationals which is what everyone cares about.

Mar. 10 10:30 p.m. Ranking portal open for Coaches Ranking Panel.
Mar. 11 10 p.m. Ranking portal closes for Coaches Ranking Panel.
Mar. 11 - 13 Selections for the 2024 NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships announced.
Before the brackets, I'm pretty sure they release the at large selections. Maybe Monday with the brackets out Wednesday?

Before the brackets, I'm pretty sure they release the at large selections. Maybe Monday with the brackets out Wednesday?
Last year they released the “at large” selections on Tuesday, Mar 7 and brackets were released on Wednesday, Mar 8.

That may be right but in this case you still need to do the wrestle off sonner than they did. If Schriever isn’t healthy enough for a wrestle off in the time frame that’s acceptable than you must submit Teske in time to give him the best chance to qualify to chase his dream.

Let’s be honest, Teske was the top option nearly all year, and I think he proved that at several points. This was bungled and whoever on staff was responsible for this gaff should take it on the chin and own it. Imo.

I’m sure he did. Teske has won against him before and I think was clearly the main option. So my question is why give Schriever a wrestle off u less Teske got hurt….yet again.

I love me some @Grip220 and his constant optimism about Iowa wrestling (much needed around here from time to time) but to claim that this was a strategic decision and not a mistake or oversight is laughable.

Truly crazy take my man!!!
I consider you one of the best posters on here, but you also are off on this. Listen to the interview, figure out the timeline. This was all about giving Cullan all possible time to heal. He earned it, but unfortunately had an injury late in the season. Cullan also knew that there would be a wrestle off with Teske because it was to close to call and Teske was improving each week.
This was about getting the best guy we have on the mat for the post season, but also giving the athlete every opportunity to earn it, this is how great teams are run and how great coaches treat their athletes, Im sure their parents would agree!

I consider you one of the best posters on here, but you also are off on this. Listen to the interview, figure out the timeline. This was all about giving Cullan all possible time to heal. He earned it, but unfortunately had an injury late in the season. Cullan also knew that there would be a wrestle off with Teske because it was to close to call and Teske was improving each week.
This was about getting the best guy we have on the mat for the post season, but also giving the athlete every opportunity to earn it, this is how great teams are run and how great coaches treat their athletes, Im sure their parents would agree!
While I agree it may be the best decision for the two athletes involved, might be a stretch to say that's good for the team.

You have an entire season to see what's going on in the room. I think to be having a match with such serious implications that late in the season is just foolish. I get doing right by those guys, but you have nine other athletes who have worked their butts off for the team all year. Penn State is the runaway favorite, but could get pretty wide open down the line. Every point is going to matter at the NCAA tournament.

I don't think it will matter in the long run. Teske should be able to wrestle his way in, but making an error that may lead to a weight not qualifying is crazy. Those few points could make a difference in a couple of weeks.

If a team trophy isn't in the cards, by all means have a wrestle off. Give the kids a shot. Would just hate to see other wrestlers on the team miss out on a team trophy over a bad decision.

Just my opinion. I'm sure my tune would be different if I was a parent of one of the two lol.

Do we know what Cullans injury was?

While I agree it may be the best decision for the two athletes involved, might be a stretch to say that's good for the team.

You have an entire season to see what's going on in the room. I think to be having a match with such serious implications that late in the season is just foolish. I get doing right by those guys, but you have nine other athletes who have worked their butts off for the team all year. Penn State is the runaway favorite, but could get pretty wide open down the line. Every point is going to matter at the NCAA tournament.

I don't think it will matter in the long run. Teske should be able to wrestle his way in, but making an error that may lead to a weight not qualifying is crazy. Those few points could make a difference in a couple of weeks.

If a team trophy isn't in the cards, by all means have a wrestle off. Give the kids a shot. Would just hate to see other wrestlers on the team miss out on a team trophy over a bad decision.

Just my opinion. I'm sure my tune would be different if I was a parent of one of the two lol.
Understood and you make some good points, but we are talking about the big tens, and we need our best guy on the mat to get to the nationals. That is the end game and there is where the focus should lie and does. Again this was a very difficult situation to deal with, the coaches are trying to do the best for the athlete and the team, sometimes these decisions are very complicated. This is a perfect example of it.

Unfortunately for the brands bro’s when you have the same dumb end result two years in a row people aren’t gonna wanna hear any reasoning and are gonna demand that you just get your shit together. Can’t blame em. Its like a kid who regularly doesn’t do his homework and then has an actual valid reason for not doing it.

Reactions: vhsalum
Something lost in all this Teske talk is why isn’t Keuter wrestling? I find it hard to believe Hill beat him in a wrestle off and I’m on board with the other posters saying we’ll be lucky to have him through his senior year; so why not wrestle; especially after just beating a top 15 wrestler?

Something lost in all this Teske talk is why isn’t Keuter wrestling? I find it hard to believe Hill beat him in a wrestle off and I’m on board with the other posters saying we’ll be lucky to have him through his senior year; so why not wrestle; especially after just beating a top 15 wrestler?
It takes a lot for Tom to pull you out of redshirt. You basically have to be ready to win a chip. Which Kueter isn't ready to do. Same with Arnold at 184.

I like it from a wrestling standpoint - but we're all scared of Kueter not wrestling a full 4 seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT