ADVERTISEMENT

17 offers on table for '19 Class (14 rated as 4* or 5*) + Looking at Fran's Recruits over Last 7 yrs

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
July 4, 2017 UPDATE:

As has been well documented, for 2018, Iowa has zero scholarships currently available.

Of the 17 known offers on the table for the 2019 class:
* FOURTEEN are tabbed as either four- or five-star recruits by Rivals.
* Of those 14, NINE are ranked among the TOP 50 in the country.

That list is here: https://iowa.rivals.com/offers/basketball/2019

The breakdown by offers:

7 PF
1 C
3 PG
6 SF

For 2019, we currently have up to 3 scholarships available (or 2 if Fran puts his son, Connor, on scholarship).

ORIGINAL POST:

In Men's basketball, you can have 13 on scholarship.

Here is a summary of the McCaffery era recruits:

Graduating Class : Players

Future Graduating Classes:

2023: 1--6'6" SF Patrick McCaffery (****)

2022: 1--6'5" SG Joe Wieskamp (****)

Current Roster (13 currently on scholarship; 0 scholarships available):

2021: 2--6'10" C Luke Garza (****); 6'9" F Jack Nunge (***)

2020: 6--6'8" PF Tyler Cook (****): 6'8" SF Cordell Pemsl (***); 6'9" PF Ryan Kriener (***); 6'0" PG Jordan Bohannon (***); 6'5" SF Isaiah Moss (***; ; was reshirted in 2015-16); 6'6" G Maishe Dailey (***)

2019: 4--6'7" SF Ahmad Wagner (***); 6'4" SG Brady Ellingson (***; was redshirted in 2014-15 season); 6'6" combo guard Christian Williams (***); 6'7" SF Nick Baer (was a preferred walk on his 2014-15 red shirt year and for the 2015-16 season; put on scholarship in March 2016)

2018: 1--6'8" SF Dominique Uhl (***)

Notable Walk on players:

2022: 1--6'5" SG Connor McCaffery (****; announced on Apr 28, 2017 that he will play baseball in the Spring of 2018 and redshirt in basketball in the fall of 2017)

2021: 2--6'6" Riley Till (redshirted in 2016-2017); 6'2" Guard Austiin Ash

Previous graduating classes and early departures:

2017: 2--6'6" SG Peter Jok; 6'8" PF Dale Jones (graduated; due to injury, was granted a 6th year of eligibility but that additional year would not be at Iowa)

2016: 6--PG Anthony Clemmons, PG Mike Gesell, C Adam Woodbury, SF Jarrod Uthoff; Two players granted release in March 2016: 6'6" SG Andrew Fleming (***, was set to graduate in 2019),6'6" SF Brandon Hutton (***; was redshirted in 2015-16; was set to graduate in 2020);

2015: 5--SG Josh Ogelsby, PF Aaron White, C Gabe Olaseni, SG Kyle Denning; PG Trey Dickerson quit/left the team on Feb 23, 2015

2014 (Fran's first recruiting class): 5--PF Melsahn Basabe, SG Devyn Marble, PF Zach McCabe, SF Darius Stokes (graduated & transferred), C Kyle Meyer (granted release & transferred; he redshirted his 2012 freshman season and therefore would have been se to graduate in 2017)

2013: 1--PG Patrick Ingram (would have been part of the 2016 graduation class; transferred in March 2013, after just one season at Iowa)

2012: 1--PG Bryce Cartwright (signed Letter of Intent on June 9, 2010). Bryce was the second recruit for McCaffery at Iowa (Melsahn Basabe, who initially signed with Siena, was Fran's first recruit; Basabe announced he was a Hawkeye on May 1, 2010). Cartwright joined already signed Iowa recruits Devyn Marble, Zach McCabe and Melsahn Basabe on the 2010-2011 roster.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ree4
For 2019, things get interesting. We have up to 3 shollies available (or 2 if Fran puts his son, Connor, on schollie).

Here's what that 2019-2020 roster looks like right now:

1 Freshman--6'6" SF Patrick McCaffery (****) PLUS 3 more that Fran can sign (or 2 if Fran puts Connor on schollie)

1 Sophomore--6'5" SG Joe Wieskamp (****)

2 Juniors--6'10" C Luke Garza (****); 6'9" F Jack Nunge (***)

6 Seniors--6'8" PF Tyler Cook (****): 6'8" SF Cordell Pemsl (***); 6'9" PF Ryan Kriener (***); 6'0" PG Jordan Bohannon (***); 6'5" SF Isaiah Moss (***; ; was reshirted in 2015-16); 6'6" G Maishe Dailey (***)

Notable Walk on players:

1 Sophomore--6'5" SG Connor McCaffery (****; announced on Apr 28, 2017 that he will play baseball in the Spring of 2018 and redshirt in basketball in the fall of 2017)

2 Juniors--6'6" Riley Till (redshirted in 2016-2017); 6'2" Guard Austiin Ash

Last edited:
For 2020, things get REALLY interesting. We have up to 6 shollies available.

Here's what that 2020-2021 13 scholarship roster looks like right now:

6 Freshman--Fran can sign up to 6 for the 2020 class

4 Sophomore--6'6" SF Patrick McCaffery (****) PLUS 3 more that Fran can sign (or 2 if Fran puts Connor on schollie)

1 Junior--6'5" SG Joe Wieskamp (****)

2 Seniors--6'10" C Luke Garza (****); 6'9" F Jack Nunge (***)

Notable Walk on players:

1 Junior--6'5" SG Connor McCaffery (****; announced on Apr 28, 2017 that he will play baseball in the Spring of 2018 and redshirt in basketball in the fall of 2017)

2 Seniors--6'6" Riley Till (redshirted in 2016-2017); 6'2" Guard Austiin Ash

I would be surprised if we don't have room for Conner, Joe, and one more in 18.

I just don't think everyone but Uhl stays. If Conner shows he's getting minutes in the guard court (while he redshirts) and Joe is coming in that puts pressure on everone not named J Bo or Moss for minutes. We know the front court is stacked and minutes will be hard to find this year. Even if Fran is able to keep the good chemistry going through some minor miracle, some guys are likely going to look for minutes.

Depending on how his season goes, if Ellingson wanted to start somewhere, he could grad transfer. Not saying I want him to because I think Ellingson does bring something to the table. It is an option he'll have though.

Reactions: 2432Hawk

I just don't think everyone but Uhl stays. If Conner shows he's getting minutes in the guard court (while he redshirts) and Joe is coming in that puts pressure on everone not named J Bo or Moss for minutes. We know the front court is stacked and minutes will be hard to find this year. Even if Fran is able to keep the good chemistry going through some minor miracle, some guys are likely going to look for minutes.

On average, right now, schools lose 2 kids/year due to transferring. Last year Iowa had ZERO transfers, so you are right, we are probably due for a player (or two) early departure in March of 2018. If so, that could open the door for a four star PG like AJ Green; perhaps that is why he has not committed? Is he just being patient because the odds of a roster spot for him at Iowa for 2018 are high? Again, this is complete speculation....

Can't underestimate what one or two transfers in the next year or two will do to projections. Also can't ignore the possibility of juco transfers and even seasons where we bank a scholarship.

The old days of balanced classes being a goal are gone. They went out with the transfer epidemic,

Reactions: hawk-i bob
Here are some excerpts from a nice article from HawkCentral:

The Hawkeyes are in a unique position entering July, a huge hoops recruiting month. The NCAA’s 2017 recruiting calendar concludes with three consecutive evaluation periods, the first of which runs July 12-16. Each weekend will be key for teams looking to sew up their 2018 recruiting classes.

But for Iowa, it will be a chance to scout the future — that is, players from both the 2019 and 2020 recruiting classes. The program’s current scholarship situation, tagged with a strong commitment from the lone 2018 recruit, allows for the coaches to think a little bigger.

“I can’t say it’s a negative,” Iowa assistant coach Andrew Francis said. “But it’s always a grind because no matter how much you’re working ahead, you’re still going to battle a lot of high-quality programs.

“We always try to make sure we understand what the landscape of our team is, and that we know what we need as we put together a recruiting plan.”

The Hawkeyes are set to lose just one scholarship athlete after the 2017-18 season in senior Dom Uhl. That frees up a spot for Muscatine’s Joe Wieskamp, Iowa’s lone commitment for the 2018 recruiting class.

With Wieskamp strongly committed, Iowa has already begun looking toward future recruiting classes. The Hawkeyes have as many as 17 offers out already to 2019 players and at least four out to members of the 2020 class. It is a luxury not shared by many other programs.

“It’s a tremendous advantage because as times have gone on, the recruiting cycle has sped up quite a bit,” said Eric Bossi, a national basketball recruiting analyst for Rivals.com. “You’ve got to not only identify the guys you want to recruit at an earlier age, but you also have to find the time, build a relationship and make it so they know you’re watching them.

“They get to, if they want to, focus exclusively on the classes of 2019 and 2020 this summer. They have an opportunity to be much more visible with some of those kids that they want to recruit than maybe some other programs can be because they’re still busy out hunting 2018 guys.”

* 15 are tabbed as either four- or five-star recruits by Rivals.
* Of those 15, nine are ranked among the top 50 in the country.

“They can point to the fact that they’ve developed guys,” Bossi added.

“I think (Iowa) is definitely a program that, for anybody who’s paying attention and doing their homework, is trending up.”

Full article:
http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sp...future-during-upcoming-live-period/440499001/

Last edited:
Reactions: icwesthawk and Ree4
We want to grab all the top talent we can, but even the 2020 class will be looking at Joe as a likely starter at shooting guard, Patrick at small forward, Nunge as a stretch four, and Garza in the post. My crystal ball can be fractured of course, but I like what this program looks like for years to come.

This assumes Conner is strictly a baseball guy. If he would stay and we can land Foster we certainly would be salty from 2-5. An A.J. Green at the point makes me very excited with where the Hawkeye's will be sitting for the foreseeable future. I think the scholarship will be available for him or another quality point guard. Let the good times roll.

On average, right now, schools lose 2 kids/year due to transferring. Last year Iowa had ZERO transfers, so you are right, we are probably due for a player (or two) early departure in March of 2018. If so, that could open the door for a four star PG like AJ Green; perhaps that is why he has not committed? Is he just being patient because the odds of a roster spot for him at Iowa for 2018 are high? Again, this is complete speculation....
No

We want to grab all the top talent we can, but even the 2020 class will be looking at Joe as a likely starter at shooting guard, Patrick at small forward, Nunge as a stretch four, and Garza in the post. My crystal ball can be fractured of course, but I like what this program looks like for years to come.

This assumes Conner is strictly a baseball guy. If he would stay and we can land Foster we certainly would be salty from 2-5. An A.J. Green at the point makes me very excited with where the Hawkeye's will be sitting for the foreseeable future. I think the scholarship will be available for him or another quality point guard. Let the good times roll.

from everything Ive read...chances on AJ Green are pretty close to zero.

Reactions: ParkerHawk

Fran is focusing on the 4 and 5 stars for 2019 and from what I have heard, players love Patrick and they love playing with him and Patrick is trying to get these 4 star kids to consider Iowa.

Things definitely are trending upward for Iowa basketball.

I'll stick with the only way we get Green is hire his dad. And it doesn't look like that will happen. Bye bye, hope we beat the tar out of you AJ, somewhere down the line. Seriously, we can't get every good player and that's OK.

The two spots we can best sell minutes to the 2019 class are point guard, with Bohannon being a senior the year 2019 guys show up. And one big as we'll have three guys as seniors in Cook, Pemsl and Kriener.

Just think, two full seasons ahead, and even the third season we may have:

Bohannon, Moss, Dailey, Connor, Wieskamp, Patrick, Nunge, Pemsl, Cook, Kriener, Garza

What do you do with the two other guys? :D

For 2019, lets assume we have 3 shollies available (where Connor is a redshirt or gave up basketball to focus on baseball).

When you look at the current 2019-2020 roster:
1 PG (a SR)
2 SG (1 SOPH, 1 SR)
4 SF (a FR, a JR, 2 SR)
2 PF (2 SR)
1 Center (a JR)

Of those 3 schollies, it definitely looks like we need:
1 PG
1 Combo guard
1 PF

Again, here's what that 2019-2020 roster looks like right now:

1 Freshman--6'6" SF Patrick McCaffery (****) PLUS 3 more that Fran can sign (or 2 if Fran puts Connor on schollie)

2 Juniors--6'10" C Luke Garza (****); 6'9" SF Jack Nunge (***)

6 Seniors--6'8" PF Tyler Cook (****): 6'8" SF Cordell Pemsl (***); 6'9" PF Ryan Kriener (***); 6'0" PG Jordan Bohannon (***); 6'5" SF Isaiah Moss (***; ; was reshirted in 2015-16); 6'6" SG Maishe Dailey (***)

Notable Walk on players:

1 Sophomore--6'5" SG Connor McCaffery (****; announced on Apr 28, 2017 that he will play baseball in the Spring of 2018 and redshirt in basketball in the fall of 2017)

Either AJ Green ends up at UNI (small stage) Or he helps his Daddy get a job at a Power 5 school (big stage). Time will tell.

July 3, 2017 UPDATE:

As has been well documented, for 2018, Iowa has zero scholarships currently available.

* FIFTEEN are tabbed as either four- or five-star recruits by Rivals.
* Of those 15, NINE are ranked among the TOP 50 in the country.

For 2019, we currently have up to 3 scholarships available (or 2 if Fran puts his son, Connor, on scholarship).

ORIGINAL POST:

In Men's basketball, you can have 13 on scholarship.

Here is a summary of the McCaffery era recruits:

Graduating Class : Players

Future Graduating Classes:

2023: 1--6'6" SF Patrick McCaffery (****)

2022: 1--6'5" SG Joe Wieskamp (****)

Current Roster (13 currently on scholarship; 0 scholarships available):

2021: 2--6'10" C Luke Garza (****); 6'9" F Jack Nunge (***)

2020: 6--6'8" PF Tyler Cook (****): 6'8" SF Cordell Pemsl (***); 6'9" PF Ryan Kriener (***); 6'0" PG Jordan Bohannon (***); 6'5" SF Isaiah Moss (***; ; was reshirted in 2015-16); 6'6" G Maishe Dailey (***)

2019: 4--6'7" SF Ahmad Wagner (***); 6'4" SG Brady Ellingson (***; was redshirted in 2014-15 season); 6'6" combo guard Christian Williams (***); 6'7" SF Nick Baer (was a preferred walk on his 2014-15 red shirt year and for the 2015-16 season; put on scholarship in March 2016)

2018: 1--6'8" SF Dominique Uhl (***)

Notable Walk on players:

2022: 1--6'5" SG Connor McCaffery (****; announced on Apr 28, 2017 that he will play baseball in the Spring of 2018 and redshirt in basketball in the fall of 2017)

2021: 2--6'6" Riley Till (redshirted in 2016-2017); 6'2" Guard Austiin Ash

Previous graduating classes and early departures:

2017: 2--6'6" SG Peter Jok; 6'8" PF Dale Jones (graduated; due to injury, was granted a 6th year of eligibility but that additional year would not be at Iowa)

2016: 6--PG Anthony Clemmons, PG Mike Gesell, C Adam Woodbury, SF Jarrod Uthoff; Two players granted release in March 2016: 6'6" SG Andrew Fleming (***, was set to graduate in 2019),6'6" SF Brandon Hutton (***; was redshirted in 2015-16; was set to graduate in 2020);

2015: 5--SG Josh Ogelsby, PF Aaron White, C Gabe Olaseni, SG Kyle Denning; PG Trey Dickerson quit/left the team on Feb 23, 2015

2014 (Fran's first recruiting class): 5--PF Melsahn Basabe, SG Devyn Marble, PF Zach McCabe, SF Darius Stokes (graduated & transferred), C Kyle Meyer (granted release & transferred; he redshirted his 2012 freshman season and therefore would have been se to graduate in 2017)

2013: 1--PG Patrick Ingram (would have been part of the 2016 graduation class; transferred in March 2013, after just one season at Iowa)

2012: 1--PG Bryce Cartwright (signed Letter of Intent on June 9, 2010). Bryce was the second recruit for McCaffery at Iowa (Melsahn Basabe, who initially signed with Siena, was Fran's first recruit; Basabe announced he was a Hawkeye on May 1, 2010). Cartwright joined already signed Iowa recruits Devyn Marble, Zach McCabe and Melsahn Basabe on the 2010-2011 roster.
For 2019, lets assume we have 3 shollies available (where Connor is a redshirt or gave up basketball to focus on baseball).

When you look at the current 2019-2020 roster:
1 PG (a SR)
2 SG (1 SOPH, 1 SR)
4 SF (a FR, a JR, 2 SR)
2 PF (2 SR)
1 Center (a JR)

Of those 3 schollies, it definitely looks like we need:
1 PG
1 Combo guard
1 PF

Again, here's what that 2019-2020 roster looks like right now:

2 Juniors--6'10" C Luke Garza (****); 6'9" SF Jack Nunge (***)

6 Seniors--6'8" PF Tyler Cook (****): 6'8" SF Cordell Pemsl (***); 6'9" PF Ryan Kriener (***); 6'0" PG Jordan Bohannon (***); 6'5" SF Isaiah Moss (***; ; was reshirted in 2015-16); 6'6" SG Maishe Dailey (***)

Notable Walk on players:

if needed why not both sons WALKONS?Why not?

Reactions: amahawk
if needed why not both sons WALKONS?Why not?

Because it is a long walk from the house and Fran could at least give his kids a ride.

Or.

We can continue this right up to Jack being a Hawkeye and the answers are always theoretical that yes, it's an option, no, not up to us. And certainly Fran knows all the advantages and disadvantages.

Because it is a long walk from the house and Fran could at least give his kids a ride.

Or.

We can continue this right up to Jack being a Hawkeye and the answers are always theoretical that yes, it's an option, no, not up to us. And certainly Fran knows all the advantages and disadvantages.

what grade will Jack be entering this fall? any ideas if he will be a stand out basketball player as well?

what grade will Jack be entering this fall? any ideas if he will be a stand out basketball player as well?

Rumor is he can knock down ten GI Joes by rolling a basketball down the steps and bouncing it off a wall and into the hallway where they have their camp.

That's all I've got and I had to make that up.

Reactions: Franisdaman
I heard McCaffery say on a local sports show, that Jack was going to be the best of the three. Those might just be the words of a doting father though because Jack was present and sitting in the audience with his brothers.

You totally lost me with your comment,"if Conner shows he's getting minutes in the guard court(while he's redshirting)". What does that mean? From everything we've been told Conner is not going to play this year, hence the redshirt. What and to whom is he showing? :oops:

Or.

agree..fran knows best.great situation to have.Future bright with fran,coachs,and players.Cool that we local hawks also.

You totally lost me with your comment,"if Conner shows he's getting minutes in the guard court(while he's redshirting)". What does that mean? From everything we've been told Conner is not going to play this year, hence the redshirt. What and to whom is he showing? :oops:
Not my post, but as a redshirt CONNOR would participate in everything but games. I think the OP was referring to showing potential in practice. Assuming Connor stays with BBall (which I do) next year we add two Top 120 rated guards.

Iowa Basketball‏ Verified Twitter account @IowaHoops

POSTED at 12:00 pm CT, July 10, 2017, 7h7 hours ago

Look for the Iowa coaching staff around the country in July searching for future #Hawkeyes!

DEYz-M8UIAAqUI5.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT