ADVERTISEMENT

2018 early commits.

Reactions: Rustys Dad
giphy.gif
Wow, yes sir!

I'm going out on a limb and predicting Honas becomes a Hawkeye. Immediate playing time at Iowa, a team that is on the rise. Nebraska is in rebuilding mode, and I think Wisconsin got in to late. The West next year I believe will come down to Iowa and Bucky, So I think Honas will come to Iowa. Of course, I am terrible making predictions around home, never right according to the wife. LOL

Reactions: nu2u
I'm going out on a limb and predicting Honas becomes a Hawkeye. Immediate playing time at Iowa, a team that is on the rise. Nebraska is in rebuilding mode, and I think Wisconsin got in to late. The West next year I believe will come down to Iowa and Bucky, So I think Honas will come to Iowa. Of course, I am terrible making predictions around home, never right according to the wife. LOL
With 3 graduating senior starting LBs, it is hard to make an argument that either Nebraska or Wisconsin is a better opportunity for immediate playing time. Nevertheless, by all accounts it appears that Honas is talented enough to compete for a starting position at any of his finalists.

I have not seen this mentioned but it has crossed my mind and I would be interested in your take: would being the player slotted to replace a popular award-winning 1st team All-American LB be a "negative" factor? The comparison to Jewell would be immediate and prolonged. Its probably not a major consideration one way or another but I could see where it might be an extra "wait a minute" consideration for some players that have excellent opportunities at other schools also (Wisconsin e.g. has a great LB tradition). Of course, it could be a major incentive for the right type of player. Maybe its a major plus also. Again, depends upon the player.

Besides looking at the depth chart, if I was in Honas' shoes I would look at how schools have integrated transfers and JUCOs in the past. Wiscy had VS play right away, we had Butler play right away, Quarrels got in a little late and didnt see the field, Gattas from about a decade ago was a JUCO LB who was a top reserve and special teamer, but not an immeadiate starter, we had the punter transfer and start, and JUCO success with Spivey, Greene, Yanda....

Any other JUCO stories I'm forgetting?

With 3 graduating senior starting LBs, it is hard to make an argument that either Nebraska or Wisconsin is a better opportunity for immediate playing time. Nevertheless, by all accounts it appears that Honas is talented enough to compete for a starting position at any of his finalists.

I have not seen this mentioned but it has crossed my mind and I would be interested in your take: would being the player slotted to replace a popular award-winning 1st team All-American LB be a "negative" factor? The comparison to Jewell would be immediate and prolonged. Its probably not a major consideration one way or another but I could see where it might be an extra "wait a minute" consideration for some players that have excellent opportunities at other schools also (Wisconsin e.g. has a great LB tradition). Of course, it could be a major incentive for the right type of player. Maybe its a major plus also. Again, depends upon the player.
I don't think replacing an all american at LB would be a turn off to a player, I think he would look at it as he is going to get great coaching, and with the success we have had at CB the last few years backs up that fact that our D players get great coaching. If looks at the talent coming back, I think he would think this is an ideal position for him to be in. Good D line in front of him, good secondary behind him. Of course, he can look at Bucky as being a great place for LB as well.

Reactions: kceasthawk and nu2u
I don't think replacing an all american at LB would be a turn off to a player, I think he would look at it as he is going to get great coaching, and with the success we have had at CB the last few years backs up that fact that our D players get great coaching. If looks at the talent coming back, I think he would think this is an ideal position for him to be in. Good D line in front of him, good secondary behind him. Of course, he can look at Bucky as being a great place for LB as well.
Thanks - that matches what I believe about Honas as well even though I don't know him personally. Nevertheless, you have to also believe that the circumstance vis-à-vis Jewell would enter his thought process whether it be positive, negative, or ambivalent.

I see if you go by just 247's ranking iowas class is 29th in the nation but the composite makes it 39th

Besides looking at the depth chart, if I was in Honas' shoes I would look at how schools have integrated transfers and JUCOs in the past. Wiscy had VS play right away, we had Butler play right away, Quarrels got in a little late and didnt see the field, Gattas from about a decade ago was a JUCO LB who was a top reserve and special teamer, but not an immeadiate starter, we had the punter transfer and start, and JUCO success with Spivey, Greene, Yanda....

Any other JUCO stories I'm forgetting?
Easley...:)

Any info or just a guess?

No info but they have been all about Iowa for awhile now with the other Indiana guys. I would even guess that they might already have sent their papers in but maybe are waiting to announce at a ceremony or something like that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT