ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Softball

That's who I believe we will hire and it would be a GREAT hire. I had the opportunity to have several one on one conversations with at coaching clinics when she was @ Emporia St and she was extremely impressive then and she's only gotten more impressive with what she's done at Wichita St.

I was a little underwhelmed with the resume

If you’ve ever been to Wichita St you would be. Bredbenner has to develop talent because frankly there’s nothing close to what Iowa and Iowa City has to offer.

She also has a keen eye for talent. This is just my opinion but there’s enough talent on this roster and what’s coming in for this team to be top5 in conference and back in the regionals next year with a good staff that can develop players and put them where they belong.

Reactions: Drmac22
I agree with you, Cranker. The pitching staff will be strong. Shaw improved as the year went on and there is usually a big improvement between a freshman and sophomore year which will complement Doocy.

Looper has never been strong on offense. I'd expect to see the players have more success at the plate with a coach who is more offensive minded and I think there is talent there.

Riding has been good at times also.

One thing about softball, transfers can play right away. Like pretty much every other college sport today, there are kids that want a change of scenery. Probably not ideal to replace 8 graduating seniors with 8 new freshmen either, no matter what the circumstances. A couple of proven bats would help out the pitchers tremendously. Shymansky has not been shy about pursuing transfers on the VB side.

Reactions: 12Pitcher!
This program needs a LEGIT hitting coach that will focus on the CORRECT mechanics and break down video consistently. This is the only power5 program that I know of that doesn't use video to help it's hitters.

Stacey May Johnson had a phenomenal understanding of hitting and the correct mechanics just didn't have enough athletes at the time IMO. She was very technical teacher. I had several one to one talks with her about hitting because it's my passion. Her leaving was a huge blow IMO.

Hopefully the new staff will have a knowledgeable person teaching hitting.

Bredbenner would be a good hire. I also think Stacy May would be a good fit, she knows and loves Iowa, but has no Experience as a HC. Like I said in a different post, I think Alyson Habetz assistant HC under Pat Murphy would be a good Fit, Whoever it is needs to put a focus on keeping Iowa girls playing at Iowa, Not saying the whole roster, but stop letting the Fisers, Linderman, and Lowreys get out of the state. If the new coaching staff invests enough time to get to know the club and HS coaches, and have good rapport with them, they will feed them info on all the quality players in the state. I know when i coached If I saw a talented girl playing at a tourney, I took note, and honestly it didnt matter who's team she was on, if I knew a college coach was looking for a specific position or I thought that kid might work out for them I would bring that to the Colleges attention. That Frankly is what a Club and HS coaches should be doing. I think Looper missed out on that until the end and it hurt Iowa's program.

Lots of positions at big schools are opening up around the country. There is going to be competition for the best people.

Mizzou's out-going coach a possibility?
https://mutigers.com/coaches.aspx?rc=1015&path=softball

She's young, but not inexperienced when it comes to running big programs. Probably advantages to being young as well...on the recruiting trail especially.

Lots of positions at big schools are opening up around the country. There is going to be competition for the best people.

Mizzou's out-going coach a possibility?
https://mutigers.com/coaches.aspx?rc=1015&path=softball

She's young, but not inexperienced when it comes to running big programs. Probably advantages to being young as well...on the recruiting trail especially.

Absolutely not. Gina got thrown into an extremely difficult situation but she’s nowhere ready to be a coach at ANY POWER 5 program.

Reactions: 12Pitcher!
I caught part of the OK-MO replay, the Tigers pretty much did everything wrong it was possible to do wrong, and with ESPN watching. Fielding/throwing errors, illegal pitches, catcher obstructing the plate, 1B going into the runners path. Hate to say it but it looked like some of our poorer games, right down to the black and gold uniforms.

Reactions: crankermo
I'm sure it's people just throwing out names (like I have been), but Brittany Weil and Connie Clark being mentioned on other softball boards.

Does anybody even know if they have spoken to anyone yet? I heard they talked to Calvert prior to Drake playing in Oregon.

Is the consensus here that it will probably be a woman that is hired. Would Iowa be bold enough to be the 1st Big Ten team to hire a male by hiring Calvert.

I know in football & basketball you usually hear who the finalists are, , probably won't happen with softball though will it?

I'm probably 99.9% sure it will be a female HC.

I will give you a little hint about who it's likely to be. She coaches in a warm weather state for a non power 5 team.

Is your warm weather state east or west of the Mississippi? Is that still your favorite over Bredbenner? Trying to slowly pull it out.

http://www.lipscombsports.com/softball/coaches/1908/kristin-ryman/

Cranker, Not sure if Tennessee is a warm weather state, but I've always thought Kristin Ryman at Lipscomb would be a great hire.

Bredbenner, Calvert, and Ryman are my top three of reasonable choices.

Murphy is my unrealistic choice.

Brittany Weil-Miller and Stacey May Johnson would be great if they had HC experience.

I’m probably wrong but I don’t think Brittany is coaching anymore.

Heavy emphasis on probably.

Is your warm weather state east or west of the Mississippi? Is that still your favorite over Bredbenner? Trying to slowly pull it out.

It’s east of the Mississippi. I don’t think Bredbenner is realistic anymore from what I’m hearing now. Contact was made but it didn’t progress anywhere is what I’ve been told

Just another bit of tantalizing info regarding this mystery candidate. She’s had her program ranked in the top 25

Reactions: BDJHawk
Becky Clark? Seems like a South Alabama lifer. Florida Atlantic coach the same. Jacksonville State as well. A lot of male coaches. I am stumped. Good clues.

Renee Luers-Gillespie!!!

UCF is warm weather.
East of the Mississippi
Female
Top 25 in 2016
And she played at Kirkwood!!!
Grew up in Danville IA

Last edited:
East of this....
South of that.....
Any reports of u-hauls or moving redrigerators???
lol

(only the longest tenured hawk report regulars will get it)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT