ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Softball

Thought Doocy was effective last night in limited action against Drake...almost worked out of a jam in the 5th but an error on a 1 out ground ball allowed Drake to break it open. CF Monteer had a solid night with two hits and a BB. Drake has two very good pitchers and a solid supporting cast....they have been steadily moving up the RPI rankings over the past month.

Reactions: 12Pitcher!
Have to hand it to Calvert, he's built a very solid team over there.

Yep. 9 of their 13 losses were to Top 25 teams.

I don't think they'll get the worst seed this year. Last year they played #1 seed in 1st round.of regionals.

I checked the university site and the details of a couple games. Lost 1-0 and in 3 different innings left 2 on. Another inning they had a hit, error(I think), and intentional walk and no runs!!! Coach stating the obvious in that they can't get the timely hits.

Nice win for the Hawks. Good to see Lehman throwing two great games at Rutgers. Lien hitting the ball well right now.

Go Hawks

Reactions: Drmac22
I wondered the same thing. Lehman and Doocy both pitched complete games verses Rutgers on Friday. Lehman gave up one run and Doocy three. I was guessing Coach just wanted to give her a shot since she had the better outing. I'm hoping no injury, but not in the know.

How does Iowa change the media culture for softball? Winning sure but KCRG on KXIC sports break mentions Fiser winning a game for Minnesota vs Nebraska but no mention of Lehman’s one hit shut out for IOWA? Both pitchers are local products one just decided to stay at home and play.

Reactions: BDJHawk
How does Iowa change the media culture for softball? Winning sure but KCRG on KXIC sports break mentions Fiser winning a game for Minnesota vs Nebraska but no mention of Lehman’s one hit shut out for IOWA? Both pitchers are local products one just decided to stay at home and play.

Shame on the media, that should never happen.

Reactions: BDJHawk and oxHawk
3 game series with the Gophers in Mpls this weekend. "Ouch" in advance. OTOH, we have a winnable game at UNI coming up, and if we can manage to get one W from OSU in that series, it would get us to 20 wins on the season, and I'd guess keep our RPI in double digits.

I agree with you. but maaybeee the goofs will be looking forward to their series with Northwestern and we can surprise them. Too much positive thinking?

Women played much harder yesterday. Hit the ball herder, too.

Always looking for the positive.

Reactions: 12Pitcher!
First 2 games against gophers the pitchers give up 4 walks (lehman) in 4 innings and 3 walks (Docey) in 4 2/3 innings. Shouldn't college pitchers have better control? Oh, also each gave up over 8 hits. I thought we had a chance to be better this year. Oh well.......

Very disappointing season. While a quick program turnaround was probably unrealistic, at the very least I hoped to see improvement from the upper classmen. Instead their numbers are down....by a lot in some cases. It's hard to think the previous coach could have had worse results.

A batting average good for 280th in the country. https://www.ncaa.com/stats/softball/d1/current/team/281/p6
This before our .122 performance last weekend. Course in their defense it probably didn't help to have the hitting coach unavailable the 2nd half of the season.

It has been a tough year.
There are only 2 seniors on the team. Mallory Kilian and Erin Riding. From all accounts they are wonderful women. I'd take Mallory back for another year.

I do see some improvement. In past years, there were clearly some players who may not have played small school softball who were starting. That's not evident on this year's squad.

This team hits cutoffs better and is capable of cutting off a throw to 2nd with a player on 3rd.

One thing I am not afraid is going to happen again is a coach who tries to sacrifice with 2 outs or sacrifices a +.400 hitter instead of letting her swing away.

I think Avery Guy will fill in at 3rd. I don't think 2nd is the right position for Bogar. it will be interesting if she plays there next year.

UNI had a recent ex-player murdered over the weekend, very tragic. Wonder if the game will be canceled.

It has been a tough year.
There are only 2 seniors on the team. Mallory Kilian and Erin Riding. From all accounts they are wonderful women. I'd take Mallory back for another year.

I do see some improvement. In past years, there were clearly some players who may not have played small school softball who were starting. That's not evident on this year's squad.

This team hits cutoffs better and is capable of cutting off a throw to 2nd with a player on 3rd.

One thing I am not afraid is going to happen again is a coach who tries to sacrifice with 2 outs or sacrifices a +.400 hitter instead of letting her swing away.

I think Avery Guy will fill in at 3rd. I don't think 2nd is the right position for Bogar. it will be interesting if she plays there next year.

I don’t have a good comparison other than the games I have watched this year. I am not certain the 2nd base/ss combo is optimal. Some of the cut off/backup/fundamentals you talked about as being improved must have been pretty bad for that being considered improved. I will say there has been better energy than earlier in the season. They need some hitters and some defensive improvement.

I don’t have a good comparison other than the games I have watched this year. I am not certain the 2nd base/ss combo is optimal. Some of the cut off/backup/fundamentals you talked about as being improved must have been pretty bad for that being considered improved. I will say there has been better energy than earlier in the season. They need some hitters and some defensive improvement.

Been a season ticket holder for 11 years and have only missed 6 home games over that time. Most of them from this year.

There is no comparison to the cutoff fundamentals from the Looper years. The team is MUCH better coached.

They also don't run themselves out of innings with the frequency of a Looper team.

I can't repeat this enough. She sac bunted with a person on 2nd base with 2 outs on more than one occasion. When asked about it in interviews, she said so much more can happen with a runner on third than 2nd.

I've heard nothing but wonderful things about Coach Looper as a human being. It was painfully obvious she really didn't understand how to coach softball and was woefully incapable of being a satisfactory head coach.

Been a season ticket holder for 11 years and have only missed 6 home games over that time. Most of them from this year.

There is no comparison to the cutoff fundamentals from the Looper years. The team is MUCH better coached.

They also don't run themselves out of innings with the frequency of a Looper team.

I can't repeat this enough. She sac bunted with a person on 2nd base with 2 outs on more than one occasion. When asked about it in interviews, she said so much more can happen with a runner on third than 2nd.

I've heard nothing but wonderful things about Coach Looper as a human being. It was painfully obvious she really didn't understand how to coach softball and was woefully incapable of being a satisfactory head coach.

I can’t disagree as I don’t have previous years experience. Tip of the cap if you sat through those years. Looper allegedly did some scholarship games on her way out which made this year a little more challenging. Here is to continued improvement and better seasons ahead.

I think this team has improved and will be better in the future as Coach G gets more of her type recruits. Right now they have to play with what they got. I don't think you will See Avery Guy playing 3rd. She will most likely be outfield or SS. I hear they are recruiting Morgan Lewis CF from DMACC as well so if she comes it will add quite alot of speed to the line up. Should be an interesting few years to come. Hope they get it going and are successful as I do love all Hawkeye sports.

Reactions: beahawk
I agree that Avery has played SS and outfield at DMACC. But Iowa needs a 3rd baseplayer and they have the other positions all returning. I was thinking she would be the best person to step up. I don't think any of the returners are capable.

I don't think 2nd is the correct position for Bogar. She would be a very good outfielder She played LF last fall and did well. Maybe they were short on IFs this year.

Well if my source is right.. Morgan Lewis may leave DMACC after her Freshman year and enroll at Iowa. So she would be in the mix for OF. As for Avery, she has always been a SS since we have known her in 10u. Its tougher then you think to move from SS to playing 3b. I think she could do it, but it will take some growing. Didnt Iowa recruit DMACCs 2nd baseman too, so maybe there are options in the infield. Maybe Dray.

Reactions: beahawk
3 game series with the Gophers in Mpls this weekend. "Ouch" in advance. OTOH, we have a winnable game at UNI coming up, and if we can manage to get one W from OSU in that series, it would get us to 20 wins on the season, and I'd guess keep our RPI in double digits.
guess UNI game was not all that winnable, 4-2. UNI

guess UNI game was not all that winnable, 4-2. UNI
Guess not, but we pitched Lehman of instead Doocy, while UNI threw their #1 (I know Lehman started 2 of the 3 at Minnesota, and she's come along nicely, but IMHO Doocy's still our best pitcher if healthy). Outside of the two HR's Lehman did pretty well, but I'd guess Doocy doesn't give those up. Also brought back Hamilton at SS, and put Thompson in LF which I don't remember her playing before. Looked to me like Killian might have been injured during the game going into 2nd.

UNI has gone back to the classic 'carpet over a pad' Astroturf, because they need a surface that can be rolled up to expose their indoor track. But it gives some *really* lively bounces, more so than the infill-type synthetic turf usually used for SB and BB. Be interesting to hear if the players or coach Gillispie have any comments on that.

Just checked NJCAA - Iowa bound DMACC 2b Mia Ruther currently ranked #2 in hitting in nation and has 30 + stolen Bases. Also checked Lewis- she is hitting 485 and 26 stolen bases. DMACC ranked #2 nationally today according to NJCAA - 39-6.

Reactions: Drmac22 and BDJHawk
Guess not, but we pitched Lehman of instead Doocy, while UNI threw their #1 (I know Lehman started 2 of the 3 at Minnesota, and she's come along nicely, but IMHO Doocy's still our best pitcher if healthy). Outside of the two HR's Lehman did pretty well, but I'd guess Doocy doesn't give those up. Also brought back Hamilton at SS, and put Thompson in LF which I don't remember her playing before. Looked to me like Killian might have been injured during the game going into 2nd.

UNI has gone back to the classic 'carpet over a pad' Astroturf, because they need a surface that can be rolled up to expose their indoor track. But it gives some *really* lively bounces, more so than the infill-type synthetic turf usually used for SB and BB. Be interesting to hear if the players or coach Gillispie have any comments on that.

Killian was injured and then while she was elevating her ankle well behind the ‘dugout’ her foot was hit on the fly by an overthrow by UNI. It looked painful again.

Killian was injured and then while she was elevating her ankle well behind the ‘dugout’ her foot was hit on the fly by an overthrow by UNI. It looked painful again.
Her Senior weekend coming up. Hopefully she's able to play at least some.

Pitching was not the problem. You ain't going to win many games scoring two runs.
Absolutely no doubt that we continue to be offensively anemic. But my point was not only Lehman vs. Doocy, but that UNI pitched Spencer instead of any of their others, who all have ERA's over 4. We actually have a winning record over Jacobs since he's been at UNI, in part because he's tended to not use his #1's against us in midweek games that aren't double headers.

Kind of an interesting situation this weekend - we're tied with Maryland for 12th, and they're hosting Michigan. Odds of both of us going 0-3 are about 95% I'd say, and we did not play them in the season. Could not find tiebreaker info for SB in a quick google, so wonder what the next criteria is - a coin flip?

ETA - if the tiebreaker is RPI, we're currently at 106, Maryland is 125.

Last edited:
Just checked NJCAA - Iowa bound DMACC 2b Mia Ruther currently ranked #2 in hitting in nation and has 30 + stolen Bases. Also checked Lewis- she is hitting 485 and 26 stolen bases. DMACC ranked #2 nationally today according to NJCAA - 39-6.
There are 5 DMACC players that will likely be at Iowa next year.

Reactions: Drmac22
Kind of an interesting situation this weekend - we're tied with Maryland for 12th, and they're hosting Michigan. Odds of both of us going 0-3 are about 95% I'd say, and we did not play them in the season. Could not find tiebreaker info for SB in a quick google, so wonder what the next criteria is - a coin flip?

ETA - if the tiebreaker is RPI, we're currently at 106, Maryland is 125.

Someone on Ultimate College thinks the tie-breaker is overall record. Certainly hope not - not only because it wouldn't work in our favor, but because a team with a weaker non-conference record shouldn't be rewarded. I believe basketball breaks their ties in these cases by the teams' record against the 1st place team. If still can't break tie, then the 2nd place team etc. Maryland would win this scenario because they beat Ohio St. once. I think we're going to have to win a game this weekend in order to get a game next weekend.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT