ADVERTISEMENT

2023-24 Big Ten MBB Discussion Thread

Has Eddy fouled out this season or even come close? It is a completely different whistle now that he is a POY guy. He used to get unfair treatment as Freshman and Sophomore. Now its like the Refs can't call a foul on him.
He goes over the back and bodies enough to be sitting with fouls sometimes like other Bigs do. Iowa's Freeman gets called for lots of petty chit so the double standard upsets me.
Eddy hasn't fouled out of a game since he was a freshman.

In conference play this season Eddy is committing 2.7 fouls/40 minutes and believe it or not he's committing more fouls this season than last season.

Freeman on the other hand is at 4.8 fouls/40 minutes in conference play. Personally I think Freeman is getting zero respect from the refs this season. Eddy had a high foul rate his freshman year too though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mohawkeye
Yep.

It felt like more honestly.

That’s unbelievable. As an official you just can’t let it get to that point.

Unless you’re Courtney Green I suppose. 🤦🏽‍♂️
So you are supposed to call more fouls on a team that shot mostly 3’s and long 2’s to even out the fouls called on a team that hits the post every play?

Also, 10ish of those were to extend the game or ejection free throws, which skews it a ton.

Wis continues to look like the best team in league...they do play PU on Sunday.
Badgers are so deep with many shooters and bigs.
Huskers crawl back within 12.

Penn State was down 4 at half at Indiana. Then ... won the 2nd half 48-30 and won the game in Bloomington.

Gotta imagine that Woodson's seat gets hot pretty quickly here. They have an obvious, slam dunk hire in Dusty May (former IU manager). I'd imagine donors will want to move on from Woody just so they don't lose May to another potential P6 job this cycle.

Northwestern jumped out to a 10 point lead (27-17) at Minnesota, but then the Gophers scored the last 10 points of the half. 27-27 at the Barn.

Just like that NW opens 2nd half on 13-4 run to go up by 9. NW shooting 44%from the arc in the BIG this year!

PSU will be a tough game on the road for Hawks next week.
Then home for gophers on super bowl Sunday.
Need a 2-0 week to stay viable.

Gotta imagine that Woodson's seat gets hot pretty quickly here. They have an obvious, slam dunk hire in Dusty May (former IU manager). I'd imagine donors will want to move on from Woody just so they don't lose May to another potential P6 job this cycle.
Forgive my ignorance...where does May coach now?

Tight battle in madtown. PU leads 55-49 w 9 minutes to go.

Wisky hanging around.
Can Brock Harding shoot the ball like Braden Smith of PU his soph year? Both are smallish PG who were Mr BB in Indiana and ILL.
Smith on fire today.

I wish Iowa would have recruited Mast instead of Krikke.

We did, in fact we had him in right before Mast visited NE and Krikke visited IA; if memory serves. My sense is Mast was our preference and pressed him for a commitment during his visit but he wanted to see his NE visit through. I think we then accepted the Krikke commitment - perhaps before Mast formally committed to NE.

No inside knowledge but that is my recollection and sense of what went down. Mast would be a much better fit for the IA club; no doubt.

https://247sports.com/college/iowa/...all-Transfer-Portal-Official-Visit-207821181/

Reactions: unclesammy
Neb pushed Illini to the limit in OT in Champaign
Huskers are tourney bound this year.
Illini lucky the court ruled against them which allowed Shannon to play. Lucky losers in court means winning on the court.

We did, in fact we had him in right before Mast visited NE and Krikke visited IA; if memory serves. My sense is Mast was our preference and pressed him for a commitment during his visit but he wanted to see his NE visit through. I think we then accepted the Krikke commitment - perhaps before Mast formally committed to NE.

No inside knowledge but that is my recollection and sense of what went down. Mast would be a much better fit for the IA club; no doubt.

https://247sports.com/college/iowa/...all-Transfer-Portal-Official-Visit-207821181/
I think Mast and Krikke visited at the exact same time and we ended up with Krikke committing. Hindsight is always 20/20, but I think Iowa was basically fine with whichever one committed first which may have been a mistake with how good Mast has been. Once Krikke committed it was a basic guarantee that Mast was going to go elsewhere. The worst part about this in hindsight is that Nebraska gets Mast for another year too whereas Krikke was a 1 year rental. Plus, Mast being the better 3 point shooter out of the 2 makes it a much better pairing with Owen--I don't think there's a way to slice it where Iowa came out on top of this one.

I think Mast and Krikke visited at the exact same time and we ended up with Krikke committing. Hindsight is always 20/20, but I think Iowa was basically fine with whichever one committed first which may have been a mistake with how good Mast has been. Once Krikke committed it was a basic guarantee that Mast was going to go elsewhere. The worst part about this in hindsight is that Nebraska gets Mast for another year too whereas Krikke was a 1 year rental. Plus, Mast being the better 3 point shooter out of the 2 makes it a much better pairing with Owen--I don't think there's a way to slice it where Iowa came out on top of this one.
Well there is the spin on that he still is averaging more points than Mast. But he’s really had some rough games lately.

I really think Illinois is not that good. They got a tough stretch of games to finish the season and it wouldnt surprise me if they lost 4-5 of those 9 remaining. Lucky to get out of there last night with the W!

There is a real possibility that Iowa gets a home game for the NIT under the new rules put in place. Top 2 teams in NET in Power6 Conf. get a home game. I have seen several projections this week that Drake or Bradley would be the opponent. Long ways to go and still holding out hope for NCAA but a Drake matchup would be fun!

Reactions: skydog0784
There is a real possibility that Iowa gets a home game for the NIT under the new rules put in place. Top 2 teams in NET in Power6 Conf. get a home game. I have seen several projections this week that Drake or Bradley would be the opponent. Long ways to go and still holding out hope for NCAA but a Drake matchup would be fun!
Well if we can't make the NCAA tournament, I'd still like to see a deep run in the NIT. I can't wait for the season to begin, and can't stand it when the last game is done. That year we played for the championship of the NIT was fun to watch.

Watching this IU @ Ohio State game and an IU player gets T'd up running down the floor the first minute of the 2nd half. Seems like every game now that, or a flagrant 2, gets called.

They have become the B1G's version of The Bad News Bears.

Reactions: HawkHoops80
RU up 9 at MD w 3 minutes to go when Simpson of RU gets taunting foul...quick 6 pts in 20 seconds for Terps..now 3 pt game w 1:42 to go.
Terps rallied late to beat Hawks...they are living on the edge.
RU has a new addition, Williams, who was injured all year but is sparking them last 2 games.
1 point game w 1 minute.
RU hangs on to win by 3 when dontae Scott misses a 3 at buzzer.
RU defended young so well on last possession, unlike Iowa, by trapping him and making someone else..Scott , beat them.
2nd straight road win for RU...sleeper in BTT?

Last edited:
RU up 9 at MD w 3 minutes to go when Simpson of RU gets taunting foul...quick 6 pts in 20 seconds for Terps..now 3 pt game w 1:42 to go.
Terps rallied late to beat Hawks...they are living on the edge.
RU has a new addition, Williams, who was injured all year but is sparking them last 2 games.
1 point game w 1 minute.
RU hangs on to win by 3 when dontae Scott misses a 3 at buzzer.
RU defended young so well on last possession, unlike Iowa, by trapping him and making someone else..Scott , beat them.
2nd straight road win for RU...sleeper in BTT?
Rutgers just got 2 guys back in the last week that had previously not played this year. Jeremiah Williams who was at Iowa State last year (injured all year) successfully got a court ruling to be allowed to play after being ineligible due to the gambling stuff from his time last year. Then Emmanuel Ogbole who is a JUCO guy who is finally recovered from an injury he suffered in the offseason. Williams in particular has averaged 25 minutes and 12 points in his 2 games he's been able to play.
It'll be interesting to monitor if they can continue to get better with these new pieces.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT