ADVERTISEMENT

2023-24 Big Ten MBB Discussion Thread

New Mexico playing for a share of 1st in Mountain West @ San Diego State tonight on FS1

Pitino had Jamal Mashburn Jr follow him from Minnesota and got a transfer center from his dad's Iona team.

Today's BIG slate is strong and all are on free tv

Of course Fox-des Moines is pre-empting 2nd half of Illinois game and the MSU game totally to show Iowa HS wrestling championship.

I know HS wrestling is big in Iowa but HS football title games and BB titles games do not get shown.

Give me BIG BB, please.

Reactions: unclesammy
MSU scraps out a win at rival Michigan. They are into their typical stretch drive. Wish the Hawks played them in Jan.
Peacock game on Tues..crap.

Don't look now but if IU beats NW Hawks would be 1 game out a 5th.

NW at IU
RU at Minny
These are interesting games for middle of pack supremacy.
OSU at PU...blowout city?

Agreed but Josh has a knack to stay with it look at what he did versus that Maryland point guard during 3/4 of the game

I agree Dix has been sensational on defense this year....you know it must be a personal pride thing because Fran has not been the type of coach to reward playing time based on defense. However I think recently even Fran has noticed as Dix has played more than 30 minute last couple games vs being pulled to insert PMAC and averaging low 20 min range most of season. Dix also is most efficient shooter we have at guard. Really he's had a fantastic year.

Going into these last 5 games, Iowa probably has a chance to finish anywhere from 5th to 11th in the league.

ISU has the best team in Iowa. Iowa has the most native Iowans. We need Fran to adopt more of TJ Otzelberger's philosophies and bridge the two approaches.

Losing berry was very damaging to NW but I must say that the frosh who they played in his place, Mullins?, looked decent. Athletic,quick, bouncy and long for guard.
Collins is finding nice transfers and recruits these days. They will dance this year. Agree on RU..sleeper to make run in BTT.

NW had a very good team with Berry and they were only team in B1G that matched up well with Purdue. NW won the home game vs Purdue and took Purdue to OT at Mackie arena. There is a lot of value in having a roster with enough pieces to matchup to everybody---NW collins had such a roster, but now with Berry out and Barnhizer looking to be tailing off a little in shooting, their chances of NCAA run look dimmer. Collns has moved the NW program ahead of Fran last couple years

OSU hanging around early vs PU.
16-16 w 10 minutes to go in 1st half in Columbus.

OSU hanging tough, up 4 with 30 seconds.
Edey scores...2 point game w 16 seconds..osu ball.

NW up 8 on IU at half.
NW is impressive even without berry.
Collins could be a candidate for a big job.
Collins seems like he'll stick in Evanston unless Duke came calling for some reason.

I don't get IU's jerseys today. Crimson and cream is pretty iconic. Do they wear black jerseys often?

Reactions: hawkirugged17
There is still plenty of time left for Indiana to come back, but NW is playing this smart and tough. With some critical foul trouble Indiana is starting to look a little undermanned.
If Woodson flames out I wouldn't shed a tear.

Reactions: hawkirugged17
I haven't been following the OSU coaching change, but I think they would be crazy to not just stick with Diebler, especially if they are considering one of the Miller bros.
Awful big job for an unknown.
They have unlimited money and huge NIL sitting in a fertile recruiting footprint.
Mark few might jump for 6 million/yr.

LOL at the officiating at the end of this game. No effing way that was a flagrant foul, then they let Indiana maul a couple of NW shooters on consecutive possessions. And, Ware just got away with an obvious push off to get that rebound.
Just terrible.

I haven't been following the OSU coaching change, but I think they would be crazy to not just stick with Diebler, especially if they are considering one of the Miller bros.
Nah, he has 0 shot at getting the job. Look at what happened with Texas last year--the AD basically had no choice but to give the job to Terry once they made the Sweet 16, but I think most fans are already regretting giving the job to a 1 hit wonder who coached another coach's players. There's a big difference from just an X and Os guy which mid-season coaching changes than someone running a program full-time including roster building, recruiting, etc.

Reactions: lucas80
We are considering going up to the BTT next month to watch the Hawks.
Do we plan on attending Wed or Thurs?
I know..why not both?
Best case we go up on Thurs for nite session...catch the Hawks win , then catch them again on Fri nite session, and drive home to northern Iowa.

We currently sit at 7th which would probably get us in the Thurs nite slate..can we hold on?

Home cooking.
Road records in BIG are at a historic low.
I am almost glad that Iowa/MSU is on peacock....miss the mauling.

Surely you can afford to subscribe to Peacock for a couple months. They do have some other shows to make it worthwhile for a short term fling.

Good for you if you make the B1G tourney. I don't like our chances this year, but who knows, things can turn around quickly in B-ball. If Iowa wins 3 out of last 5 that would be a miracle. 2 out of 5 is pretty hard given the schedule is really tough.

We are considering going up to the BTT next month to watch the Hawks.
Do we plan on attending Wed or Thurs?
I know..why not both?
Best case we go up on Thurs for nite session...catch the Hawks win , then catch them again on Fri nite session, and drive home to northern Iowa.

We currently sit at 7th which would probably get us in the Thurs nite slate..can we hold on?
Hawks have a really tough remaining schedule, with 3 tough road games (MSU, ILL, and NW) and 2 home games (PSU and ILL). I look at that and think 3 or 4 losses is most likely, but who knows? Need to beat PSU, or playing on Wed is going to be very likely.

Iowa's next 2 opponents are matched up on Big Ten Network. Illinois 44 - Penn State 39 with 1:30 left 1st half.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT