ADVERTISEMENT

2023-24 Big Ten MBB Discussion Thread

Did the judge spell out how many minutes Underwood must play him also?
If Underwood sits him as he should will Shannon sue him?
The federal judge ruled that Underwood should treat him as any other player who hasn’t been convicted (or even indicted) of anything. So, Underwood sitting him (presumably because he assumed he’s guilty without any verdict?) would be defying the ruling pretty blatantly.

Also I’m sure you look at all charges and allegations separately and don’t automatically assume everyone is guilty - antithetical to this country’s justice system and to common sense. And I am puzzled how anyone thinks the allegations against Shannon are in any way convincing. 🤷🏼‍♂️

For better or for worse, the judge decided that “innocent until proven guilty” as a legal principle should also entail not treating a defendant like he is guilty.

Did not watch the game but is Michigan State an NIT team this year?
2-7 v Q1 / 2-1 v Q2 no other losses outside first 2 quadrants
Metrics: NET #23, KenPom #16, SOR #53
SOS: #15

They are definitely bubbly, but they are likely strongly on the right side of it right now. The bubble sucks and having 2 Q1 wins with no bad losses and great predictive metrics means that they would have to really start to drop some games they shouldn't in order to miss.

Reactions: warriors dad
Despite their loss tonight, the Spartans are playing better than they were back in early December. I haven’t looked at the rest of their schedule but would guess they will make the big dance if they stay healthy.

They only have 2 Quad1 games left. Illinois and at Purdue. Wisconsin has swept them. Izzo is in the twilight of his tenure and seems to be slipping lately.

It's incredible to me how good Michigan State's metrics are.
There bad loss was to James Madison and only had 2 losses coming into today and were a Quad2 loss for them. Unfortunatly for Sparty that James Madison lost today to Appalacian State so they could go to a Quad3 loss.

Just had to say something. Now they'll be like 16/30 when they play Iowa in a few days.

sorry.gif

NW vs PU...old fashioned barn-burner. 78-78 w 1 minute...edey scores and one!
NW is no joke.
Berry fouled on 3 attempt w 37 seconds ...nw goes up 1.

NW guards have over 60 points.
Edey is 5-12 from line..17-31 overall for PU.
Edey to line down one w 16 sec.
Makes one..tie game w 6 sec..nw ball.
Boyle misses runner at buzzer..OT.

Lance Jones was a great pickup by PU..he has 26 pts and was fox national guard of the week last week.
PU hangs on up 3 w 11 sec.
99-96.
Collins goes francon gets ejected w 1 seconds..courtney Greene strikes again.
PU gets 4 yrs w 1 sec...
PU win 105-96 in OT.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Lance Jones was a great pickup by PU..he has 26 pts and was fox national guard of the week last week.
PU hangs on up 3 w 11 sec.
99-96.
Collins goes francon gets ejected w 1 seconds..courtney Greene strikes again.
PU gets 4 yrs w 1 sec...
PU win 105-96 in OT.
Check out the ft’s Purdue literally shot almost 40 more ft’s than NW! 😯

It's going to be an interesting off-season to watch for Rutgers. They are now the 300th ranked offensive team per KenPom. If you look at who they are potentially bringing back for next year, there isn't a whole lot of excitement in those players except for maybe Jamichael Davis who has shown some flashes. However, Rutgers is also bringing in 2 McDonalds All-Americans who project as 1&done players. I'm assuming that Pike will try and get a couple of pieces via the portal to pair with Ace Bailey and Dylan Harper, because just running this current roster back with those 2 would be malpractice.

RU has 4 star center Sommerville(yea that guy's kid)
And 2 3star forwards joining the two 5 stars.
They also return 9 guys from current roster..maybe.
Their gym is still packed and rowdy so I imagine the fan base is excited about next year.

Watching the home crowds at RU and PU makes me envious.
If Beth can get the Carver crazy going she is a solid choice.

RU has 4 star center Sommerville(yea that guy's kid)
And 2 3star forwards joining the two 5 stars.
They also return 9 guys from current roster..maybe.
Their gym is still packed and rowdy so I imagine the fan base is excited about next year.

Watching the home crowds at RU and PU makes me envious.
If Beth can get the Carver crazy going she is a solid choice.
They will have to lose at least one of the 9 guys as they signed a 5-man class--I don't think they are expecting any of their seniors to use their Covid year from my understanding of the situation (I could be wrong in that).
Yeah Sommerville is good too, but I'm not sure he's someone you want to be starting day 1. I guess my point is, the window is likely incredibly small to win with Harper and Bailey--if you go all out to bring in 2 top-5 kids (which they definitely went all out financially for) then you need to kind of push the chips in the table and try to win big next year.
If they are rolling out a starting lineup of Simpson, Harper, Griffiths, Bailey, Sommerville next season, then I think that's a very middle of the pack team in the conference. I think they need to go shopping for another guard and probably a big (unless they can convince Cliff to come back again).

They will have to lose at least one of the 9 guys as they signed a 5-man class--I don't think they are expecting any of their seniors to use their Covid year from my understanding of the situation (I could be wrong in that).
Yeah Sommerville is good too, but I'm not sure he's someone you want to be starting day 1. I guess my point is, the window is likely incredibly small to win with Harper and Bailey--if you go all out to bring in 2 top-5 kids (which they definitely went all out financially for) then you need to kind of push the chips in the table and try to win big next year.
If they are rolling out a starting lineup of Simpson, Harper, Griffiths, Bailey, Sommerville next season, then I think that's a very middle of the pack team in the conference. I think they need to go shopping for another guard and probably a big (unless they can convince Cliff to come back again).
Watched some of their game last night and wow did they turn the ball over

NU got completely and utterly f*cked by the refs in Mackey. 🤦🏼‍♂️

NW is a tough team. Their PG Bouie has become the best PG in B1G.

I think Purdue is better than last year when they lost in 1st round of NCAA. The Lance Jones pickup is
big difference and they are shooting the lights out from 3pt line to go along with Eddy. It is sort of like
a game of horse with how many wide open 3pt looks they get with teams having to double Eddy. Still when
NCAA tourney comes around, all it takes is a bad 3pt shooting night and they are out because teams can double Eddey and get steals on entry passes if the 3ball is not going down.

Has Eddy fouled out this season or even come close? It is a completely different whistle now that he is a POY guy. He used to get unfair treatment as Freshman and Sophomore. Now its like the Refs can't call a foul on him.
He goes over the back and bodies enough to be sitting with fouls sometimes like other Bigs do. Iowa's Freeman gets called for lots of petty chit so the double standard upsets me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT