ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Recruiting. Orig Post Updated Jan 1. ZERO Scholarships Currently Available. 34 Offers So Far (incl. Pryce Sandfort, Owen Freeman, Brock Harding)

According to TOS, Top 75 big man Carey Booth of Brewster Academy (same school as Dasonte Bowen and Joseph Estrella) is planning an official visit to Iowa. That is a bit surprising since I hadn’t seen Iowa mentioned very prominently with Booth.

It seems Iowa has a very strong connection with the staff at Brewster. I would guess Courtney Eldridge has a lot to do with that.

According to TOS, Top 75 big man Carey Booth of Brewster Academy (same school as Dasonte Bowen and Joseph Estrella) is planning an official visit to Iowa. That is a bit surprising since I hadn’t seen Iowa mentioned very prominently with Booth.

It seems Iowa has a very strong connection with the staff at Brewster. I would guess Courtney Eldridge has a lot to do with that.
Probably doesn't hurt that his dad works with Ryan Bowen too. He really hasn't been with Brewster more than probably a couple months. He played with them for the June live period weekends which certainly meant we were at all of his games though. Gotta imagine Penn St will be hard to beat with the legacy aspect, but then again it's Penn State basketball.

Harding and Freeman rated 5th and 6th in Illinois by veteran writer Joe Henricksen.

Probably doesn't hurt that his dad works with Ryan Bowen too. He really hasn't been with Brewster more than probably a couple months. He played with them for the June live period weekends which certainly meant we were at all of his games though. Gotta imagine Penn St will be hard to beat with the legacy aspect, but then again it's Penn State basketball.

Great info.

Thank you.

I believe that Iowa is still Brock's only high major Division I offer. He could be the biggest steal of the entire 2023 class. Brock doesn't just have a chip on his shoulder. He has a bag of chips on both shoulders. He and Owen are going to be quite the 1 - 2 punch.

Iowa offered T.J. Power on Aug 27, 2020. He officially visited the weekend of Oct 8, 2021. According to Rivals, Iowa is the first school he visited.

TJ Power (2023), Dasonte Bowen (2022), Josh Ogundele (2020) & Iowa Assistant Coach Courtney Eldridge (1998) are all part of BABC (Boston Amateur Basketball Club).

This comes from a story from yesterday:

There are few hotter prospects in America than 2023 prospect T.J. Power of the BABC Grassroots program. The 6-foot-7 forward has attracted attention from Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, UCLA, Ohio State and others this summer. He plans to look into his new offers in the coming weeks and re-evaluate where his recruitment stands.

“I told everyone I would start setting up visits when I get back [from Peach Jam],” Power said on Friday. “They are giving me space for now. When I get home, I’ll set visits.”

Power has already taken official visits to Virginia, Iowa and Notre Dame. And while he declined to say which additional trips he’ll take down the road, both Duke and Kansas seem like good bets.

“I’m thinking about a Kansas visit for sure,” Power said. “I’ve been talking to coach Roberts for pretty much the whole summer,” Power said. "I talked to coach [Bill] Self a couple times recently and really like the caliber of players they have. They’re really tough kids that play really hard.”

Notre Dame head coach Mike Brey was among those courtside watching Power at Peach Jam, and Notre Dame is thought to be among the leaders as things stand. Holding off blueblood newcomers will be a tall task for the Irish, but there’s reason to believe they’re up to the task.

“Me and Coach Mike Brey have a great relationship and the academic side of it is big, too,” Power said of Notre Dame. "I like the style they play. They really share the ball and have a lot of shooters that can space the floor.”

Iowa offered T.J. Power on Aug 27, 2020. He officially visited the weekend of Oct 8, 2021. According to Rivals, Iowa is the first school he visited.

TJ Power (2023), Dasonte Bowen (2022), Josh Ogundele (2020) & Iowa Assistant Coach Courtney Eldridge (1998) are all part of BABC (Boston Amateur Basketball Club).

This comes from a story from yesterday:

There are few hotter prospects in America than 2023 prospect T.J. Power of the BABC Grassroots program. The 6-foot-7 forward has attracted attention from Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, UCLA, Ohio State and others this summer. He plans to look into his new offers in the coming weeks and re-evaluate where his recruitment stands.

“I told everyone I would start setting up visits when I get back [from Peach Jam],” Power said on Friday. “They are giving me space for now. When I get home, I’ll set visits.”

Power has already taken official visits to Virginia, Iowa and Notre Dame. And while he declined to say which additional trips he’ll take down the road, both Duke and Kansas seem like good bets.

“I’m thinking about a Kansas visit for sure,” Power said. “I’ve been talking to coach Roberts for pretty much the whole summer,” Power said. "I talked to coach [Bill] Self a couple times recently and really like the caliber of players they have. They’re really tough kids that play really hard.”

Notre Dame head coach Mike Brey was among those courtside watching Power at Peach Jam, and Notre Dame is thought to be among the leaders as things stand. Holding off blueblood newcomers will be a tall task for the Irish, but there’s reason to believe they’re up to the task.

“Me and Coach Mike Brey have a great relationship and the academic side of it is big, too,” Power said of Notre Dame. "I like the style they play. They really share the ball and have a lot of shooters that can space the floor.”

Next week will be very interesting to see where Power decides to visit. He's been consistent in most articles that Iowa and Notre Dame are the 2 programs he wants to see again and then he'll decide on a couple of the blue bloods to visit. My best guess (emphasis on guess) is he visits Duke, UNC, Iowa and Notre Dame and those 4 + Virginia are his "Final 5"

Reactions: Franisdaman
Next week will be very interesting to see where Power decides to visit. He's been consistent in most articles that Iowa and Notre Dame are the 2 programs he wants to see again and then he'll decide on a couple of the blue bloods to visit. My best guess (emphasis on guess) is he visits Duke, UNC, Iowa and Notre Dame and those 4 + Virginia are his "Final 5"

Fran was in on him early (Fran offered almost 2 years ago). The blue bloods came in late.

Iowa can offer him a baseball opportunity.

Will these things matter?

Will be interesting to watch.

Reactions: perryhawk
Thought someone posted Power was coming to IC a day or so after Sandfort and Estrella. Could be wrong but hope I am right.

I saw a quote from Power within the past day or so in which he indicated that he’s considering taking another visit to Iowa. I hadn’t seen any indication yet that he had set something up.

Thought someone posted Power was coming to IC a day or so after Sandfort and Estrella. Could be wrong but hope I am right.

we have 2 scholarships currently available for the 2023 class; that # would increase to 3 if Kris leaves early for the NBA next spring

Sandfort likely will commit to Iowa

I was kinda hoping we would sign a shooting guard with one of the 2 likely remaining scholarships but, dang, there are so many talented bigs with an Iowa interest.

2023-2024 Roster (11 on Scholarship; 2 scholarships available):

FRESHMEN: 2 players

6"10" C Owen Freeman

6'0" PG Brock Harding

SOPHOMORES: 2 players

6'3" PG Dasonte Bowen

6'5" SG Josh Dix

JUNIORS: 2 players

6'7" F Payton Sandfort

6'11" C Riley Mulvey

SENIORS: 5 players

6'4" G Tony Perkins

6'2" G Ahron Ulis

6'8" F Kris Murray

6'9" SF Patrick McCaffery

6'11" C Josh Ogundele

4 Notable Walk on players:

SENIORS: 1 player

Dante Eldridge -- walk on

JUNIORS: 1 player

Luc Laketa-- preferred walk on

Carter Kingsbury-- preferred walk on

Amarion Nimmers-- preferred walk on

Last edited:
As mentioned, Kansas, UCLA, North Carolina, and Duke all just recently offered TJ Power.

In case you missed it, this is a good story from July 15. Fran would also have to beat our Virginia and Notre Dame.

What TJ said about Iowa: “Coach Fran McCaffery has probably been recruiting me the longest [ALMOST 2 YEARS] out of any coach, so we have an unbelievable relationship. They’ve produced a lot of pros in the last couple years. He’s stressed that I could be the next in line. The way they play really fits me as far as scoring wings who have the ball in their hands a lot and can do a lot of things on the floor. That’s definitely what I’m going to look at.”

The Full Story:

we have 2 scholarships currently available for the 2023 class; that # would increase to 3 if Kris leaves early for the NBA next spring

Sandfort likely will commit to Iowa

I was kinda hoping we would sign a shooting guard with one of the 2 likely remaining scholarships but, dang, there are so many talented bigs with an Iowa interest.

2023-2024 Roster (11 on Scholarship; 2 scholarships available):

FRESHMEN: 2 players

6"10" C Owen Freeman

6'0" PG Brock Harding

6'3" PG Dasonte Bowen

6'5" SG Josh Dix

JUNIORS: 2 players

6'7" F Payton Sandfort

6'11" C Riley Mulvey

SENIORS: 5 players

6'4" G Tony Perkins

6'2" G Ahron Ulis

6'8" F Kris Murray

6'9" SF Patrick McCaffery

6'11" C Josh Ogundele

4 Notable Walk on players:

SENIORS: 1 player

Dante Eldridge -- walk on

JUNIORS: 1 player

Luc Laketa-- preferred walk on

Carter Kingsbury-- preferred walk on

Amarion Nimmers-- preferred walk on
Pryce and Payton can play the 2 if necessary as well. I think if Pryce, Estrella and Power all wanted to commit tomorrow, Fran would take it in a heart-beat. It's highly likely Kris leaves for the NBA after this year, and if he doesn't there's always a likelihood of a transfer.

Pryce and Payton can play the 2 if necessary as well. I think if Pryce, Estrella and Power all wanted to commit tomorrow, Fran would take it in a heart-beat. It's highly likely Kris leaves for the NBA after this year, and if he doesn't there's always a likelihood of a transfer.

yeah, I would take Sandfort, Estrella and Power in a heart beat, too. ;)

Fran offered TJ Power almost 2 years ago. The blue bloods finally offered THIS MONTH.

As you can see in Jeff Goodman's reporting below, TJ might be the best 2023 player in the nation.

Aug 27, 2020: Iowa offered TJ

July 14, 2022: Duke offered

July 12, 2022: North Carolina offered

July 12, 2022: UCLA offered

July 10, 2022: Kansas offered

Reactions: perryhawk
Fran offered TJ Power almost 2 years ago. The blue bloods finally offered THIS MONTH.

As you can see in Jeff Goodman's reporting below, TJ might be the best 2023 player in the nation.

Aug 27, 2020: Iowa offered TJ

July 14, 2022: Duke offered

July 12, 2022: North Carolina offered

July 12, 2022: UCLA offered

July 10, 2022: Kansas offered

CBS Eye on College Basketball podcast tonight, Norlander says that Power will be at UNC on Monday and Duke on Tuesday for official visits. He and Adam Finklestein both made it seem like it's not a done deal he'll end up at a blue blood by any means, "but it's very easy to get wowed on those visits."

CBS Eye on College Basketball podcast tonight, Norlander says that Power will be at UNC on Monday and Duke on Tuesday for official visits. He and Adam Finklestein both made it seem like it's not a done deal he'll end up at a blue blood by any means, "but it's very easy to get wowed on those visits."
If true he's trying to cram in his junior year visits. Do you think he's doing this now to narrow down which blue blood he'll focus on? Is he visiting now so he can visit 5 different schools in Aug/Sep?

If true he's trying to cram in his junior year visits. Do you think he's doing this now to narrow down which blue blood he'll focus on? Is he visiting now so he can visit 5 different schools in Aug/Sep?
He wants to make a decision by the start of his prep school season (end of September/early October). My guess is he doesn't end up using all 5 senior year visits, but your thought of narrowing down the new offers makes sense. He's kind of speed dating them since I don't believe he had much contact with them prior to the first July period.

Article above made it seem like Kansas caught his attention and may be one of those 5.

Iowa hasn't watched any of his games in recent months since he blew up to a top-10 ranked player. Not amongst Booker's top 10.

The TJ Power recruitment kinda reminds me of the recruitment of Kyle Filipowski

June 18, 2020 --Iowa offered him

Over 1 year later....

June 28, 2021....Duke offered him
July 1&2, 2021....He visited Iowa
July 29, 2021......He committed to Duke

And I agree that the visits to Duke have to wow the kids, especially the photo shoots when they are holding National Championship trophies. At least at Iowa the kids can now hold a B1G Championship trophy.

When Kyle visited Duke:

KyleFilipowski.jfif

images

Iowa hasn't watched any of his games in recent months since he blew up to a top-10 ranked player. Not amongst Booker's top 10.
A lot of those B1G schools are going to feel pretty good not seeing Duke there. Seems like a decent chance Iowa will be facing him in the future.

Though it gives Duke more time to focus on other recruits… unfortunately.

You have to wonder what Self is telling these young men when they visit Kansas. Given the charges against him and the school, he must be telling them what most of us believe, i.e. The NCAA is a toothless tiger that wouldn't dare do anything really bad to the program, so have no fears about signing on with the Jayhawks.

The orig post has been updated.

We have 2 scholarships currently available for the 2023 Class.

Iowa has given out 31 offers.

2 have committed to Iowa (Owen & Brock)
11 have committed elsewhere
18 are still Undecided

The orig post has been updated.

We have 2 scholarships currently available for the 2023 Class.

Iowa has given out 31 offers.

2 have committed to Iowa (Owen & Brock)
11 have committed elsewhere
18 are still Undecided
Do you have a count on how many scheduled visits?

Do you have a count on how many scheduled visits?

So far, Fran has gotten 14 of the 31 to actually visit.

(29th Iowa Offer) Brock Harding (Iowa offered June 20, 2022)

Unofficially visited Iowa for the Jan 13, 2022 Indiana game after Kirk Speraw had watched him play in a game in person the day before (on Jan 12, 2022).

Unofficially visited June 22, 2022.

Committed on June 23, 2022.

(23rd Iowa offer) Boden Kapke (Iowa offered on Jan 19, 2022)

Visited on October 16, 2021 (Purdue game)

(22nd Iowa offer) Joseph (JP) Estrella (Iowa offered on Dec 16, 2021)

Officially visited July 28-30, 2022

(21st Iowa offer) JaQualon (JQ) Roberts (Iowa offered on Oct 29, 2021)

He unofficially visited on Dec 21, 2021 for the SE Louisiana game.

(20th Iowa offer) Pryce Sandfort (Iowa offered on Oct 16, 2021)

Visited on October 16, 2021

Officially Visited July 28-20, 2022

(17th Iowa offer) Parker Friedrichsen (Iowa offered on July 25, 2021)

He originally had committed to Oklahoma State.

(14th Iowa offer) Matas Buzelis (Iowa offered on June 15, 2021)

(11th Iowa offer) Xavier Booker (Iowa offered on June 15,2021)

Committed to Michigan State

(9th Iowa offer) Owen Freeman (Iowa offered on June 1, 2021)

Officially visited the weekend of Oct 8, 2021.

He unofficially visited on Dec 21, 2021 for the SE Louisiana game.

Committed to Iowa on Oct 11, 2021.

(7th Iowa offer) T.J. Power (Iowa offered on Aug 27, 2020)

Officially visited the weekend of Oct 8, 2021.

According to Rivals, Iowa is the first school he visited.

(6th Iowa offer) Taison Chatman (Iowa offered on Aug 13, 2020)

He was quoted as saying that he and his dad visited on a Friday for the preseason opener (assuming this was Fri, Nov 5 vs Slippery Rock).

(1st Iowa offer) Omaha Biliew (Iowa offered on May 21, 2019)

Unofficially visited June 7, 2021

Committed to Iowa State

(15th Iowa Offer) Gavin Griffiths (Iowa offered on June 29, 2021)

Officially Visited on October 16, 2021

He committed to Rutgers on 6/2/2022

(4th Iowa Offer) Gus Yalden (Iowa offered on July 8, 2020)

He unofficially visited Iowa on Sat June 12, 2021.

He committed to Wisconsin on 5/17/22

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT