ADVERTISEMENT

23 things we learned from Iowa State's wrestle-offs

Did I miss something? What happened to Todd small at 133#?
I think Dresser is a good coach. He's had some whiny moments with regards to Iowa, but he's a good coach. The thing that caused me to lose some respect for him is in the post-match presser a few years ago when he referred to the Briggs kid as someone they found at a 7-11. I got his point, that they were severely undermanned at 125 and put someone out there. But that kid works his tail off in their room and when the team needed him to step in against the best wrestler in the country, he stepped up and put his ass on the line. He deserved better from his coach than to be referred to as "a guy they found at 7-11." If he were my kid, I'd have been thoroughly pissed at KD for that.
Sinjin is a good kid, I know him & that story is bs. Dresser should have never said that.

Sinjin is a good kid, I know him & that story is bs. Dresser should have never said that.
Dresser was looking for sympathy as to why he is unable to field a competitive team. Part of that problem was created by himself. The list is pretty long concerning the number of kids he ran off when he arrived. Dresser's main goal was to lower expectations so he had a longer time frame to make ISU competitive. Fact is...KJ left him plenty of talent.

At least he doesn't use a curtain. I've been to the last Iowa v. ISU meets in Ames and I really like their building and easily there were more Iowa fans than the home team. Or it could be that ISU fans just didn't have that much to get excited about and thus sat on their hands.

Dresser was looking for sympathy as to why he is unable to field a competitive team. Part of that problem was created by himself. The list is pretty long concerning the number of kids he ran off when he arrived. Dresser's main goal was to lower expectations so he had a longer time frame to make ISU competitive. Fact is...KJ left him plenty of talent.

Agree.

He could've easily said something like "hey we put a young kid out there at 125 who works his tail off everyday and is a valuable part of our team, but who everybody in Hilton knew didn't stand much of a chance against Iowa's 125 pounder".

The point he was trying to make is understood. He just didn't have to disrespect his own guy the way he did.

Reactions: MitchLL
Late to the party here. But would like to say d3 kids beat d1 kids more often than you think. Any questions Marcus Levesseur says give him a call. Granted Marcus was pretty good but I see it happen at open tournaments. If your only intent was to make ISU look bad then I'm sorry for trying to make sense of nonsense.

Late to the party here. But would like to say d3 kids beat d1 kids more often than you think. Any questions Marcus Levesseur says give him a call. Granted Marcus was pretty good but I see it happen at open tournaments. If your only intent was to make ISU look bad then I'm sorry for trying to make sense of nonsense.
You ARE new here. :cool:

You don’t know how often any of us think D3 kids beat D1s so such a statement is just odd.

It’s very rare that a high level D1 wrestler loses to a D3. It’s far more often than not a sign that said D1 team has a big hole in their lineup. The very fact that you had to go back 15 years to bring up the most noteworthy example does the opposite of supporting your point.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT