96.3 mph. Wow. Brody Brecht is a Potential Top 5 Round MLB Draft Pick

DodgerHawki

HR Heisman
Nov 19, 2002
Will Brody ever play football at Iowa?
Well he's getting is school paid for on a football scholarship and he really seems to like football, so I would guess that yes? Maybe?

The only reason he's at Iowa, I think, is due to his love/like of football. If he wanted to focus on baseball only, he could have said so prior to the draft last summer and have received a very large signing bonus for going in the top couple of rounds.

Hope it works out for him at Iowa, although now sure how you effectively play both of those sports.

David1979

HR Legend
Oct 17, 2013
Well he's getting is school paid for on a football scholarship and he really seems to like football, so I would guess that yes? Maybe?

The only reason he's at Iowa, I think, is due to his love/like of football. If he wanted to focus on baseball only, he could have said so prior to the draft last summer and have received a very large signing bonus for going in the top couple of rounds.

Hope it works out for him at Iowa, although now sure how you effectively play both of those sports.
That's what I mean. If he has a great year this year in baseball and misses a lot of the Spring football he will be behind in development and already missed a lot of time with injury. I know he said before he always wanted to play football at Iowa but things can change once you get into the realities of the situation.

hexumhawk

HR Legend
Sep 24, 2003
North Liberty
GettyImages-112955114-e1613653537950.jpg

5f2f5b0466eef.image.jpg

Its been done before.

NI hawk

HR Heisman
Gold Member
Jul 23, 2001
Danon Hughes played both football and basketball at Iowa so, it has been done before. I think Bo Porter, (?), may have done the same thing.
Hughes played baseball at Iowa. Drafted in 3rd round.
Darin Naatjes from West Lyon played football and baseball at Stanford.

Reactions: David1979

Ripcord280

HR All-State
Aug 30, 2016
I hope and pray that I am wrong on this prediction, but in all honesty I just do not see this guy contributing in a big way to the Iowa football team. I would LOVE for him to be our version of Bo Jackson, but I just do not see it. I feel that that are too many millions to be made pitching. He is probably the next version of Randy Johnson, "The Big Unit," than Bo Jackson.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15

Arbor1

All-Conference
Dec 16, 2014
I hope and pray that I am wrong on this prediction, but in all honesty I just do not see this guy contributing in a big way to the Iowa football team. I would LOVE for him to be our version of Bo Jackson, but I just do not see it. I feel that that are too many millions to be made pitching. He is probably the next version of Randy Johnson, "The Big Unit," than Bo Jackson.
Not unlike leaving early imo. I wouldnt be surprised if Ferentz encourages him to make the $$.

hawkhead87

HR Legend
Gold Member
Oct 19, 2010
Just to be clear, he may not contribute to the football because he is a top 10 pick, could be a somebody in the MLB very soon, because I would actually love him on the football team….it’s just cool that Iowa could have a big time player in baseball

nbanflfactory

HR Heisman
Aug 22, 2021
Just to be clear, he may not contribute to the football because he is a top 10 pick, could be a somebody in the MLB very soon, because I would actually love him on the football team….it’s just cool that Iowa could have a big time player in baseball
Hell maybe baseball will be striking by then :)

Reactions: hawkhead87

r448chlpo

All-Conference
Mar 8, 2017
Powell, Ohio
Maybe this is common knowledge( maybe I am in the cold on this), but are there any restrictions on when he could opt out of playing football and go to baseball? Is there an agreement between MLB and the NCAA limiting movement?

David1979

HR Legend
Oct 17, 2013
Do you mean he won't be good at football or he is going to just concentrate on baseball?

Ripcord280

HR All-State
Aug 30, 2016
Do you mean he won't be good at football or he is going to just concentrate on baseball?

I think he would be a hell of a football player, but just the way I see the world is that you have to concentrate on ONE thing and that one thing, which means he will probably gravitate towards baseball. the Bo Jackson Syndrome is just so very,very rare. I wish him the best either way, but I really want him to play wide receiver for us.

2bagger22

HR Heisman
Gold Member
Sep 9, 2008
Cold One City, USA
I think he would be a hell of a football player, but just the way I see the world is that you have to concentrate on ONE thing and that one thing, which means he will probably gravitate towards baseball. the Bo Jackson Syndrome is just so very,very rare. I wish him the best either way, but I really want him to play wide receiver for us.
He's on a football scholarship so it's a pretty safe bet he remains on the roster and committed to playing wide receiver.

isuisshit

All-Conference
Sep 19, 2021
off topic:
my high school had an uber douche of a kid called himself "the franchise" because he thought a fastball that clocked in the low 80s was impressive

• Haha
Reactions: funnyfletcher

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
That's ridiculous in a great way, amazing! Have we ever had a staff collectively throwing that fast? Without checking I'd put that up there with most in the country re: velocity.

people at D1 baseball have made comments on how impressive Iowa pitching looked last weekend.

pitching depth is a huge strength this year; this team is going to be fun to watch.