ADVERTISEMENT

Abe Assad

hawktitle

Rookie
Jan 29, 2019
I remember Abe losing to a Grand View kid early in the year and then he breaks out in the starting lineup. Against Brooks he seemed a bit confused. I remember thinking he didn’t look outmatched as much as surprised by some moves and how to defend. I had this feeling TnT were going to coach him up and he had a chance to make some noise at Nationals. Thoughts?

Reactions: el dub
I remember Abe losing to a Grand View kid early in the year and then he breaks out in the starting lineup. Against Brooks he seemed a bit confused. I remember thinking he didn’t look outmatched as much as surprised by some moves and how to defend. I had this feeling TnT were going to coach him up and he had a chance to make some noise at Nationals. Thoughts?
I'm confused with your post.

I think he is going to be pretty good and will AA his 3 remaining years.

I don't remember a GV kid but he did lose to Broderson of ISU at 184. Maybe that's what you are thinking of? Whom I think if he stays at 184 could be good too.

As for this season. I think it was a typically true freshman who took awhile to gain confidence. Made huge strides from Nov to Jan and that's why the shirt was pulled. IMO he was going to sneak out an AA this season likely 7/8th. I like that Abe has big move potential to pin you from his feet. I can see a Sammy Brooks type career but maybe never getting that BIG champ like Sammy did but could be a guy who see's a semi finals or two at NCAA's. I don't see a finalist type talent but close.

I would support a RS if possible this next season in regards to his future and get a year separation from Aaron Brooks if he has a chance at a BIG title or NCAA finals but I don't think that's likely best for the team title. I don't see him really closing the "gap" with Aaron Brooks. AB just is more talented no matter how you want to angle it. But AB also had the luxury of an OTC year. That's pretty huge and IMO those kids aren't really true freshman. Didn't consider Burak one...wont for Brooks either.
Future is bright for the kid, he will keep getting better. He will start to finish some TD's on guys hes struggled with. And will turn the corner on a guy like Cam Caffrey who just could out funk a kid who is still learning. And he will hit a lot of cement mixers. Just hope Sammy Brooks can teach a few cheap tilts because that would be a game changer for him.

Id say if Assad does want to RS next season and assuming Kem is 174 and no COVID issues the play is to see if Glazier can make 184. If so let him go out for the meets through Midlands then make a decision between Assad / Glazier then. Seems fair for all parties involved and I'm pretty high on Glazier too. Id like to see what smoke he can create.

Also would allow Nelson Brands to cut down a few pounds not worrying about having to man 184. It would be nice to weigh him in less than 176.5 each weeks so if heaven forbid some injury hit the Bull or Kem then Nelson can get to that 165 spot quicker with weight loss guidelines.

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
Id say if Assad does want to RS next season and assuming Kem is 174 and no COVID issues the play is to see if Glazier can make 184. If so let him go out for the meets through Midlands then make a decision between Assad / Glazier then. Seems fair for all parties involved and I'm pretty high on Glazier too. Id like to see what smoke he can create.

Also would allow Nelson Brands to cut down a few pounds not worrying about having to man 184. It would be nice to weigh him in less than 176.5 each weeks so if heaven forbid some injury hit the Bull or Kem then Nelson can get to that 165 spot quicker with weight loss guidelines.
Glazier can absolutely make 184. He was a 184 wrestling up at 197 last year because that’s where his best chance will be after Warner leaves. He wrestled 182 in high school

It does suck that we burned Abe's Shirt and it didnt pay off. And frankly it may not of mattered anyways as we prbly would of won even going 1-2 at 184.

I think as far as Assad vs Brooks, I was not surprised. 1 bad match AB vs Venz wasnt enough for me too say that Assad would win. It wasn't domination, but Abe got beat soundly and I definitely think Brooks would've had a chance vs Hilday or Lujan

I don't see any reason he doesn't develop into a National champ. He has the mindset it takes, I see him AAing from here on out and making the finals his Jr/Sr season. You have to remember, when Marinelli, Kemerer, Cassioppi, etc were taking lumps in redshirt, Assad was in the lineup. We usually see great strides made after someone's first year in a college wrestling room. All those guys I mentioned all lost at least twice during their redshirt campaigns, Kemerer lost to an Old dominion guy and some NQ guy and he turned out pretty good. Assad, Marinelli, Kemerer, and Cassioppi all wrestled AA's their true freshman year, but only Assad actually got a win. His trajectory is just fine and I have all the confidence in Assad and the Hawkeye coaching staff.

I don't see any reason he doesn't develop into a National champ. He has the mindset it takes, I see him AAing from here on out and making the finals his Jr/Sr season. You have to remember, when Marinelli, Kemerer, Cassioppi, etc were taking lumps in redshirt, Assad was in the lineup. We usually see great strides made after someone's first year in a college wrestling room. All those guys I mentioned all lost at least twice during their redshirt campaigns, Kemerer lost to an Old dominion guy and some NQ guy and he turned out pretty good. Assad, Marinelli, Kemerer, and Cassioppi all wrestled AA's their true freshman year, but only Assad actually got a win. His trajectory is just fine and I have all the confidence in Assad and the Hawkeye coaching staff.

Kemerer majored Geo Martinez during his redshirt year, Geo was 8th that year at 149.

Yeah will be interesting to see how glazier fits in - he definitely is fun to watch.

It does suck that we burned Abe's Shirt and it didnt pay off. And frankly it may not of mattered anyways as we prbly would of won even going 1-2 at 184.

I think as far as Assad vs Brooks, I was not surprised. 1 bad match AB vs Venz wasnt enough for me too say that Assad would win. It wasn't domination, but Abe got beat soundly and I definitely think Brooks would've had a chance vs Hilday or Lujan

Quit your whining, buoy...:D

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT