ADVERTISEMENT

AJ Ferrari says no to Iowa

Man. I don't know/haven't heard a single college coach willing to put their neck on the line for the kid.

which is pretty crazy when you consider he's an NCAA CHAMP. with 3 years of eligibility, no big injury history and a "clean" criminal record.
It will be a bottom half program willing to take a chance on controlling AJ. Lock Haven maybe? Moore took on Marstellar (I know different problem) and it worked out. Can lightning strike twice. Also lesser academic standards. If AJ wants in, he going to have to accept a lesser school than he wants.

Why exactly hadn't he gone the full time ufc route yet? I thought that was the plan if things didn't work out here?

Hey maybe just maybe TnT once again did the correct thing for the school and the good guys!
That said, offically my past support for AJ is terminated, Im all in for his brother Angelo though!
Once again did something correct? You’re trying to paint this whole Ferrari situation at Iowa like the Brands did everything correct? Holy shit man they F’d up and let them in to begin with; let’s not act like the Brands are the saviors in this story. They caused the shit show.

No no, all these moral saints who publicly sh*t on teenagers and young men, have absolutely no idea they’re worse than the individuals and families they try to shame. At least they attend church on Sunday and obviously have never made wrong decisions. Nor do they have family members who have strayed from their righteous paths! This bunch of “once was”, anonymous bad asses are going to tell you how it is on this form! Hell ya!
FOAH

Hey maybe just maybe TnT once again did the correct thing for the school and the good guys!
That said, offically my past support for AJ is terminated, Im all in for his brother Angelo though!
Yeah. They at least put out the fire THEY started by entertaining the idea of bringing in AJ and Anthony. But I really wonder how many recruits we lost out due to this debacle?

Once again did something correct? You’re trying to paint this whole Ferrari situation at Iowa like the Brands did everything correct? Holy shit man they F’d up and let them in to begin with; let’s not act like the Brands are the saviors in this story. They caused the shit show.
Have you ever been given another chance? Do you personally know anything about the ferraris being here? Do you personally know Terry Brands?

Have you ever been given another chance? Do you personally know anything about the ferraris being here? Do you personally know Terry Brands?
Been given another chance? Sure I have. But my laundry list isn’t a quarter of the length as those boys. I mean just last year alone they ran off a blue chip recruit that sure would slide in nice at 57 this year and they made our program the laughing stock of college wrestling with the circus at the SS and yet they were still being kept around. Im all for more than one chance but at some point they have to realize they're college wrestling coaches and not professional psychologists. Anyone trying to act like the Brands were some saving grace to the Ferrari clan is 100% delusional. It was nothing more than a desperation move that back fired and there’s only a few people to blame for allowing it to go on as long as it did.

Yeah. They at least put out the fire THEY started by entertaining the idea of bringing in AJ and Anthony. But I really wonder how many recruits we lost out due to this debacle?
I do also wonder the impact on recruiting. Other than Chittum, has it been confirmed they deterred any other prospects?

Been given another chance? Sure I have. But my laundry list isn’t a quarter of the length as those boys. I mean just last year alone they ran off a blue chip recruit that sure would slide in nice at 57 this year and they made our program the laughing stock of college wrestling with the circus at the SS and yet they were still being kept around. Im all for more than one chance but at some point they have to realize they're college wrestling coaches and not professional psychologists. Anyone trying to act like the Brands were some saving grace to the Ferrari clan is 100% delusional. It was nothing more than a desperation move that back fired and there’s only a few people to blame for allowing it to go on as long as it did.
Do you really believe that this was desperation?

All of them.
Great. That means you know Terry's heart and what drives him. You agreed above to tiltmans post saying it was desperation and a shit show that the Brands created. Did you tell Terry this and if so, what was his response?

He was already given multiple chances. And why was it Iowa that had to give him a chance when no one else would?

Reactions: sstark46
Any chance to elaborate for non-Twitter folks?
Seems others have answered. I'm trying not to bash TnT and it sounds like Terry ended this fiasco but this little experiment cost the hawks a couple of recruits and one transfer. ( different opinions on if it actually cost us)

Seems others have answered. I'm trying not to bash TnT and it sounds like Terry ended this fiasco but this little experiment cost the hawks a couple of recruits and one transfer. ( different opinions on if it actually cost us)
Cost us Chittum for sure.

Reactions: Hawkgma
I'm one who believes Brands has been too narrow in his recruiting focus--only guys who live the lifestyle, only guys who really want to be here, etc. He needed to take more risks, and he did. If every bet you make pays off, you're not taking enough risk. I give kudos to Brands for taking the risk on the Ferraris. The status quo wasn't moving the needle.

We've had a pretty decent past few weeks in terms of recruiting, transfers, U20/U23 performance, and Olympic Trials performance. This news, I think, is also a positive for the program. And we still ended up with arguably the best Ferrari.

So I'm cautiously more optimistic about 24-25. Let's get 100+ points, a solid second behind Penn State, and see where it goes from there. No need to bash Brands for taking on AJ and then bash him for kicking him out!

I think you could argue that it was the wrong decision to bring him in to begin with, and then the wrong decision to give him another chance after the SS. 1/3 ain’t bad I suppose.

Cost us Chittum for sure.
I’m not sure it did cost us chittum. Cody never did sign his letter of intent. It was a convenient excuse for Cody to leave and possibly the last straw. But I’m not sure you can ever fully lose someone you never fully had.

That whole situation is odd and details are murkey at best. The story changes depending on who you ask.

I’m not sure it did cost us chittum. Cody never did sign his letter of intent. It was a convenient excuse for Cody to leave and possibly the last straw. But I’m not sure you can ever fully lose someone you never fully had.

That whole situation is odd and details are murkey at best. The story changes depending on who you ask.
Didn’t we go get Caliendo because Chittum left? I’d would say it was worth it for that alone

I'm one who believes Brands has been too narrow in his recruiting focus--only guys who live the lifestyle, only guys who really want to be here, etc. He needed to take more risks, and he did. If every bet you make pays off, you're not taking enough risk. I give kudos to Brands for taking the risk on the Ferraris. The status quo wasn't moving the needle.

We've had a pretty decent past few weeks in terms of recruiting, transfers, U20/U23 performance, and Olympic Trials performance. This news, I think, is also a positive for the program. And we still ended up with arguably the best Ferrari.

So I'm cautiously more optimistic about 24-25. Let's get 100+ points, a solid second behind Penn State, and see where it goes from there. No need to bash Brands for taking on AJ and then bash him for kicking him out!
I agree with most of what you say. But not all of it. lol

There’s a difference between pulling a product off a shelf which happens to malfunction and buying an item from a second hand shop with a big red warning label on the box outlining all the ways it’s defective and hazardous to one’s health. Making a bad decision in this case can have more negative ramifications to the team than an athlete simply not panning out by under performing on the mat. Team morale and scaring away potential recruits may be part of the equation.

Reactions: Mendoza77

Was an offer even made to Chittum? Did they actually turn down an opportunity to sign that letter of intent?

I think you could argue that it was the wrong decision to bring him in to begin with, and then the wrong decision to give him another chance after the SS. 1/3 ain’t bad I suppose.
And who knows how much pressure it took from the AD to get TnT to finally do the right thing in this case?

Was an offer even made to Chittum? Did they actually turn down an opportunity to sign that letter of intent?
My understanding of the situation was that Cody committed, gray shirted while an offer was made and put of signing the LOI annd enrolling until after his grey shirt. Then we all know what happened.

I’ve heard three different tales as to why he left. So idk what to believe anymore.

My understanding of the situation was that Cody committed, gray shirted while an offer was made and put of signing the LOI annd enrolling until after his grey shirt. Then we all know what happened.

I’ve heard three different tales as to why he left. So idk what to believe anymore.
That all sounds reasonable.

I’m interested in hearing your take on what transpired (if anything) between CC and Ant’ney during their time at Blair?

Which was the 1? Is that when he had an "interaction" with Cass's sister? Seriously, what did he do that garnered him the 1 out of 3?
Naw…
1: Wrong to bring him in.
2: Wrong to give another chance after SS.
3:buh-by, AJ.

So, for those following along at home.., 1 out of three was making a good decision. Maybe?

FWIW, I have heard from what I believe is a reliable source that Chittum himself was not at all keen on leaving, he received A LOT of parental influence. If so...he was probably going to skate sooner or later for one reason or the other, IMO.

FWIW, I have heard from what I believe is a reliable source that Chittum himself was not at all keen on leaving, he received A LOT of parental influence. If so...he was probably going to skate sooner or later for one reason or the other, IMO.
The kid was reportedly crying when he left town…he was in, what, 7 schools in 7 years? As a middle school/hs kid you’re not making those decisions, so one can extrapolate he didn’t make the decision to leave iowa either. The Ferraris seemed like the easy excuse for an out IMO

That is also what I have heard. Cody liked it here, and especially liked his teammates . His dad made the decision to leave. I’ve also heard that was bs and that due to Cody and Ant’s Blair connection they didn’t want a sequel with the Ferrari fam.

I think both can be true at the same time.

Reactions: vhsalum
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT