ADVERTISEMENT

Annual Carver sucks thread—2019-2020 edition

You have to admit that they’re at least trying to get the kids in the doors. The half court shot, the long putt, the layup-FT-3pt contest. They have the light show and sometimes a DJ. Winning and being a top 25 team will be the tipping point to get the students to show up consistently.
I’m sure they’ve done this, but if the athletic department really wanted to gauge student interest (figure out why nobody is coming to the games), they should send out a campus wide survey via email, submitters are entered to win a $500 Visa gift card. Have it ask questions like: which sporting events do you attend? Why do you attend these events? Which sporting events do you not attend? Why not?

Seems like a pretty easy way to figure out how to get more people in the doors. And with an ever-aging population, getting students who will have a desire to purchase tickets post-college should be top of mind to the athletic department... which means getting them in the door now

I’m sure they’ve done this, but if the athletic department really wanted to gauge student interest (figure out why nobody is coming to the games), they should send out a campus wide survey via email, submitters are entered to win a $500 Visa gift card. Have it ask questions like: which sporting events do you attend? Why do you attend these events? Which sporting events do you not attend? Why not?

Seems like a pretty easy way to figure out how to get more people in the doors. And with an ever-aging population, getting students who will have a desire to purchase tickets post-college should be top of mind to the athletic department... which means getting them in the door now
I have a better idea!

Reactions: L. Wade Childress
You have to admit that they’re at least trying to get the kids in the doors. The half court shot, the long putt, the layup-FT-3pt contest. They have the light show and sometimes a DJ. Winning and being a top 25 team will be the tipping point to get the students to show up consistently.

But we have been a sometimes top 25 team like all last year. They still didn't come. They are trying but it still isn't working.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
It's not the student section that is the problem. The student section isn't what makes Kinnick magic, though they certainly participate better. It's the layout of the stadium, fan proximity to the field.

Carver was built for wrestling, so they can fit two matches on the floor at once. You can't walk around the Cameron Indoor court, can you?

I was at the game tonight, it was a great game but no atmosphere.

I'm honestly not sure they have. I never saw one when I was at Iowa.

I'm honestly not sure they have. I never saw one when I was at Iowa.
That’s pretty surprising to me... tells me that either the administration doesn’t care that student attendance is weak (highly doubtful), or is arrogant enough to believe that they know what makes the students want to show up more than the students do

Hopefully whoever is making these decisions can get it turned around

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
Roads were not good after the snow melt and temp drop. Side roads super icy, so I am sure that kept some folks away. I say it every year, so here goes. Why do they line up 4 buses and make everyone stand in line and freeze their asses off waiting to get on the lead bus? Apply some common sense here. Open up the doors on the first 2-3 buses so people can walk out of Carver and get on a warm bus. It was pretty freaking bitter tonight and it took 2 buses before I got on one and the crowd was small.

Reactions: anon_i8nzeu2gbf0ba
I go to every game and get frustrated with the students. Can’t put them close to court or it’d be all empty seats. They gave free t-shirts to students (actually pretty cool) and often snacks and coffee. Nothing seems to help....I’d say it’s today’s culture, but other schools have a great atmosphere.‍♀️
Carver is too big. Knock out some seating for a walkway? Suites?
Oh, and I’ve never seen a cop.

Last edited:
Reactions: iahawks10
But we have been a sometimes top 25 team like all last year. They still didn't come. They are trying but it still isn't working.

True and there were games that were attended very well. The Michigan game was simply amazing. IU in OT and Maryland were good crowds. The Savannah St game had an attendance of 12,500 when the students were on break.

The Hawks Nest needs some leadership. That’s for certain.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
Sell $1 beer to everyone over 21. Let people buy 4 at a time. Problem solved.
I would make multiple trips per year from Omaha to Carver if they sold brews for a buck... would cut down the soft serve lines too

Hopefully the increased police presence due to alcohol sales wouldn’t scare away too many fans!

I go to every game and get frustrated with the students. Can’t put them close to court or it’d be all empty seats. They gave free t-shirts to students (actually pretty cool) and often snacks and coffee. Nothing seems to help....I’d say it’s today’s culture, but other schools have a great atmosphere.‍♀️
Carver is too big. Knock out some seating for a walkway? Suites?
Oh, and I’ve never seen a cop.

Odd that you go to every game too. I honestly can’t remember seeing a cop talking to a fan inside CHA. If ever there’s an issue, security is always the first to step in. Even that is beyond rare outside of a bag check or something beyond the gate. You just don’t see it, that’s why I am somewhat shocked people believe that’s why students are staying away. I’m not talking about just Otown either.

Reactions: GRT2B1
If you had been there, you would have noticed there were plenty of empty seats throughout Carver. If the students were not willing or able to relocate themselves to those empty seats what makes you so absolutely positive they are going to haul their behinds from the dormitories to Carver in 20° weather?

Wrestling might average more fans per event.
First dual vs Chattanooga and 2nd dual vs Wisconsin both had over 11k. We got Penn State (already sold out) OhioState, Oklahoma State, Minnesota, and Nebraska left on schedule. I expect all of them too have 12K or more.

Amazing what can happen when we are Ranked 1st in the nation.

Last edited:
Reactions: redbirdhawk
Super pathetic tonight. I feel like we are playing in front of a nursing home.

Watching on TV from 1,500 miles away, I would absolutely agree. And it's nothing new. It's a Big Ten game against hated Minnesota, Iowa played great most of the game, and 99% of the time you could hear the squeak of the sneakers the place was so totally quiet.

Carver can be loud. It has been loud, but seldom consistently in the last 15 years or so, at least. Barta has done nothing to improve the situation, like letting students in free and seating them in the lower six or seven rows around at least half the court.

Iowa seldom has much of a home-court advantage, and that's a shame. This team works hard and has some talent. It deserves an edge at home. Maybe that will happen eventually, in spite of the lack of interest on the part of the AD.

It won't be quiet at Hilton on Thursday, and it's embarrassing to see that atmosphere vs. the one in Carver, not to mention @ MSU, Purdue, Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan . . . even that worthless team in Lincoln draws large, boisterous crowds. It's sad to see what Carver has become, especially for those of us veteran enough to have watched and joined in the fervor of games in the old Field House....

A few years back didn't the Hawk Nest leaders organize an event that was tied in with one of the bars down at the Ped Mall? It included transportation from the dorms to the Ped Mall to CHA and then back to the dorms. I believe bars ran drink specials etc. IIRC the student section (and as a result, the entire atmosphere was awesome).

Whatever happened to things like that?

CHA for men's basketball has taken on too much of the mid level NBA crowd. Whereas the wrestling and women's program has gone the opposite direction.

O Im a cop and have big nuts. Relax fellas!

I've seen your pic before!

giphy.gif

Reactions: iahawks10
Cameron holds about 9,000 with a great tradition of winning. Mostly bleachers so nobody can get comfy. The top 9 arena's in seating capacity are all either blue blood's or in larger population areas. U of I and Iowa City are neither.
They are not building a new arena (downtown or anywhere) after having put $40 million into the practice facility and offices. Imagine if Carver only sold 9,000 tickets. The demand would be much greater. I think about 12,000 capacity would be about right. We'll never fill it like the blue blood's. But we can add beer, reduce seating (it will cost $) by restructuring the arena with more luxury seating up top, make the student section just bleachers for standing room only with a 500 capacity. Basically they need to create demand.
More places to hang out before the games that are close would be great also. I live an hour away, so if I'm going to go I'd like to make it at least somewhat of an event. Old Chicago, The Vine, etc. are great to hang out at before the game but they are just packed and very hard to get a seat.
It's not the old days when we had a 7:00 pm Thursday night game and then a Saturday game. (I can handle a late Thursday night, but a late Monday gets a little tougher every year.) Students used to go to the game then go out downtown. They still go out on Thursday nights, but not many with the current random schedule of Monday's, Wednesday's, etc. People can blame students and other fans all they want but times have changed. It's competing with huge flatscreen TV's and people have more things to do with their time. There is hope at Carver, but they need to show us a plan, then maybe the people and the money will come.

Sorry so long. I've seen a zillion of the Carver is bad posts (and they are not wrong) and have never commented, so just getting a lot out. Go Hawks!!

Reactions: jellyfish10
Watching on TV from 1,500 miles away, I would absolutely agree. And it's nothing new. It's a Big Ten game against hated Minnesota, Iowa played great most of the game, and 99% of the time you could hear the squeak of the sneakers the place was so totally quiet.

Carver can be loud. It has been loud, but seldom consistently in the last 15 years or so, at least. Barta has done nothing to improve the situation, like letting students in free and seating them in the lower six or seven rows around at least half the court.

Iowa seldom has much of a home-court advantage, and that's a shame. This team works hard and has some talent. It deserves an edge at home. Maybe that will happen eventually, in spite of the lack of interest on the part of the AD.

It won't be quiet at Hilton on Thursday, and it's embarrassing to see that atmosphere vs. the one in Carver, not to mention @ MSU, Purdue, Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan . . . even that worthless team in Lincoln draws large, boisterous crowds. It's sad to see what Carver has become, especially for those of us veteran enough to have watched and joined in the fervor of games in the old Field House....

actually Iowa has one of the best home court advantages in the country.

If you consistently produce a team that plays exciting basketball, the crowds will come. Iowa MBB has been average to slightly better for too long.

It's a process. No amount of gimmicks will change that. It's about the product people are paying to watch.

If you consistently produce a team that plays exciting basketball, the crowds will come. Iowa MBB has been average to slightly better for too long.

It's a process. No amount of gimmicks will change that. It's about the product people are paying to watch.

Our team is a little too......Vanilla this year

I live out in the mountain west so rarely make it back for a game. So I watch the games on the TV. Not sure who's idea it was to put in so many steps. In many areas there is like 2- 6 seats in between rows of steps. On TV it looks like there are more steps then there are seats. Then you have the people occupying those seats. Their butts never leave the seats. It makes Carver appear like a cavernous boring place to be at. Not sure why anyone would want to go watch a game there? The University seems to favor greed rather than creating a fun atmosphere to watch a game.

OK, i'll chime in since last night honestly would've been a good one to go to: 7:00 start against a rival. North of the Cedar Rapids area so weather was a slight factor but not really that big of one. Honestly the biggest thing is the parking. I know that's on the pathetic side, and I honestly get the reserved parking permits close to the arena. We like to park in the lot up by Finkbine and with bad/worsening knees, that walk gets a little longer every year.
For this "able to get there a couple times a year" fan, it's gotten easier to watch from home. Maybe the new knees will change my perspective.

Cameron holds about 9,000 with a great tradition of winning. Mostly bleachers so nobody can get comfy. The top 9 arena's in seating capacity are all either blue blood's or in larger population areas. U of I and Iowa City are neither.
They are not building a new arena (downtown or anywhere) after having put $40 million into the practice facility and offices. Imagine if Carver only sold 9,000 tickets. The demand would be much greater. I think about 12,000 capacity would be about right. We'll never fill it like the blue blood's. But we can add beer, reduce seating (it will cost $) by restructuring the arena with more luxury seating up top, make the student section just bleachers for standing room only with a 500 capacity. Basically they need to create demand.
More places to hang out before the games that are close would be great also. I live an hour away, so if I'm going to go I'd like to make it at least somewhat of an event. Old Chicago, The Vine, etc. are great to hang out at before the game but they are just packed and very hard to get a seat.
It's not the old days when we had a 7:00 pm Thursday night game and then a Saturday game. (I can handle a late Thursday night, but a late Monday gets a little tougher every year.) Students used to go to the game then go out downtown. They still go out on Thursday nights, but not many with the current random schedule of Monday's, Wednesday's, etc. People can blame students and other fans all they want but times have changed. It's competing with huge flatscreen TV's and people have more things to do with their time. There is hope at Carver, but they need to show us a plan, then maybe the people and the money will come.

Sorry so long. I've seen a zillion of the Carver is bad posts (and they are not wrong) and have never commented, so just getting a lot out. Go Hawks!!
Correct, an arena downtown next to attractions, bars and restaurants would improve the experience. Nothing like walking up to a freezing cold dark parking lot on the edge of town to go to a game.

I live out in the mountain west so rarely make it back for a game. So I watch the games on the TV. Not sure who's idea it was to put in so many steps. In many areas there is like 2- 6 seats in between rows of steps. On TV it looks like there are more steps then there are seats. Then you have the people occupying those seats. Their butts never leave the seats. It makes Carver appear like a cavernous boring place to be at. Not sure why anyone would want to go watch a game there? The University seems to favor greed rather than creating a fun atmosphere to watch a game.

well, many people think Carver is an awesomely unique design, and I agree. I feel like I am repeating myself but I get positive comments from opposing fans almost every game.

Correct, an arena downtown next to attractions, bars and restaurants would improve the experience. Nothing like walking up to a freezing cold dark parking lot on the edge of town to go to a game.

I take a maybe five minute walk from the bar to Carver every game. I wish there were more options but it’s not like there aren’t several good places to go close to Carver.

There's just too much dead space around and behind the baskets, and the seating configuration is such that the closer you get to the court the less seating is available. I don't know anything about the engineering of the seating, but it can't be that difficult or expensive (relative to the money the department brings in) to demolish the seating and start over with a configuration that puts fans as close to the court as possible.

Carver, as some have noted, was built for wrestling. Mr. Carver just let basketball use the place too.

The design is horrible if your evaluation is based on watching a basketball game in the place. It would have been difficult to come up with a worse design for that purpose. But as has been noted, it wasn't designed for basketball, and the athletic department has done nothing substantial to make things better. Nothing.

BTW: The university should be embarrassed to give out those tiny "rewards" for sinking a half-court shot, etc. If you can't afford more than that, don't do it. But, of course, they could afford it, which makes it even worse.

If they can't figure out that people don't want to wait in a line to get on a bus when it is 12 degrees outside, I am not holding my breath for any forward thinking. It's nice that so many Iowans are respectful and think to let families with kids and senior citizens ahead of them in line, but is this really necessary? Think of the fan experience. It's not that hard.

Carver, as some have noted, was built for wrestling. Mr. Carver just let basketball use the place too.

The design is horrible if your evaluation is based on watching a basketball game in the place. It would have been difficult to come up with a worse design for that purpose. But as has been noted, it wasn't designed for basketball, and the athletic department has done nothing substantial to make things better. Nothing.

BTW: The university should be embarrassed to give out those tiny "rewards" for sinking a half-court shot, etc. If you can't afford more than that, don't do it. But, of course, they could afford it, which makes it even worse.

wait, what?????

New sound
New video system
New premium seating
New club options
New practice facility

ADVERTISEMENT