ADVERTISEMENT

Any chance Lester brings anything new?

BigAssTurkeyLeg

HR MVP
Gold Member
Sep 23, 2021
Spread offense concepts, hurry up tempo, new schemes of any kind?

Feels like he’s just going to run the same stuff, the same way as Brian did. But maybe not even as good at TE schemes 🫤

Season 5 Lol GIF by Real Husbands of Hollywood

Eliminate the plays where we have all our receiving options within 3 yards of each other
But that’s the staple of our passing game.

Especially when combined with our OL being overmatched and a statue QB getting 1.5 seconds to throw.

He only has to do 3 things and I'll be more encouraged by the hire.

1. Make WRs primary targets instead of TEs
2. Develop/bring in a mobile QB and run him out of the pistol more often than not.
3. Take the responsibility away from the QB to audible at the line of scrimmage.

Reactions: MAXIMUSHAWKEYE
At least there are some weapons for him to work with. I think anyway?

Top 3 RBs are back, former Mich QB who took them to playoffs (as long as his knees stay healthy), two good TEs, 5 guys who have started at OL for Iowa and a 5* soph from Bama, and two young WRs who might be good in Anderson and Brown (who was a high 4*/5* from OSU).

All this sounds good on paper, but last season has me doubting if some of these guys are as talented as their resumes/ recruiting profiles say. Or if it is just Brian, Barnett and Copeland were holding them back.

Reactions: Ree4 and BigOHawk
He only has to do 3 things and I'll be more encouraged by the hire.

1. Make WRs primary targets instead of TEs
2. Develop/bring in a mobile QB and run him out of the pistol more often than not.
3. Take the responsibility away from the QB to audible at the line of scrimmage.
I don’t think we’ll see any of these.

Kirk likes that we are TE U

Kirk hasn’t started a mobile QB since CJB threatened to leave

Kirk wants his QBs to act like the pros. The college style of coaches calling in the audibles is backyard football

• Sad
Reactions: Bierhalter
Our WR room is clearly not great now. Do any of the RBs (Williams and/or Johnson, or even the FR whose name I don't remember) have good enough hands that they could be used as a WR in 11 and 10 personnel situations? I get that our RBs aren't Deebo or CMC, but there's a lot to be said for aligning, shifting, and motioning hybrid players to create mismatches and confusion. A good system makes these things simple for the offense but look complex to the defense.

Simplify the reads. Stop making our QBs and WR make professional level reads

No other college teams do this. It could explain why all our WR end up in the same ****ing spot

Have the OC make some audibles by getting the offense set early in the clock

But that’s not KF style. Gotta run that clock down to 1 every snap

Give him a chance. Worked under Lafleur in GB, sat in those meetings. Lafleur is a great offensive mind. See if Lester can bring some of that to Iowa City
So Lester can learn on the job, after failing his last stint as OC and HC, or Johns, who has a proven track record at multiple stops, can lead the offense. Sounds like KF made the right choice.

Feels like he’s just going to run the same stuff, the same way as Brian did. But maybe not even as good at TE schemes 🫤
Looks like the majority of his WMU teams scored over 400 points per season. That would be new.

Our WR room is clearly not great now. Do any of the RBs (Williams and/or Johnson, or even the FR whose name I don't remember) have good enough hands that they could be used as a WR in 11 and 10 personnel situations? I get that our RBs aren't Deebo or CMC, but there's a lot to be said for aligning, shifting, and motioning hybrid players to create mismatches and confusion. A good system makes these things simple for the offense but look complex to the defense.
Washington

Davis tried to run no-huddle with tempo at the start 🤣. KF had to spank him back into shape real quick on that one

Everyone wanted change and got it.
Only time will tell if we got it or not.
I'm not excited nor am I disappointed as this is the kind of hire I expected from Kirk. I am willing to wait and see if Lester can resurrect this dead offense, but to be honest, I am not overly optimistic. I have doubts that Kirk would let anyone come in and run the offense that was not a "Yes" man. Maybe Jacks was not going to be that "yes" man, so we will wait and see. I will refrain from any judgements on Lester till next fall when we see the Hawks in action.

I'm not excited nor am I disappointed as this is the kind of hire I expected from Kirk. I am willing to wait and see if Lester can resurrect this dead offense, but to be honest, I am not overly optimistic. I have doubts that Kirk would let anyone come in and run the offense that was not a "Yes" man. Maybe Jacks was not going to be that "yes" man, so we will wait and see. I will refrain from any judgements on Lester till next fall when we see the Hawks in action.
1st quarter of 1st game will tell us all we need to know.

I get that our RBs aren't Deebo or CMC, but there's a lot to be said for aligning, shifting, and motioning hybrid players to create mismatches and confusion. A good system makes these things simple for the offense but look complex to the defense.
So...the exact opposite of what Kirk has put out there for most of his tenure. Good luck.

If you want to see Lester describing his offense, this is a good example. Hopefully the link takes you where it is supposed to. LOL Sorry if someone has already posted this, I did not see it so I posted it.
That's a really good find. Thank you for sharing.

Every OC Iowa has ever had has brought some new wrinkles. I expect the same here. New wrinkles. No massive overhaul. Hopefully, Lester's perspective as a former QB and more experienced play-caller provides us with a more competent offensive experience than we had with BF.

So far, whatever someone brings in has been trumped by KF's idea of an offense. Fingers crossed that we see a more modern approach, it doesn't have to be a gunslinger offense, just progression to be relevant.

Give him a chance. Worked under Lafleur in GB, sat in those meetings. Lafleur is a great offensive mind. See if Lester can bring some of that to Iowa City
He was a defensive analyst in Green Bay. At first I was quite upset with the hire, but I believe it is an upgrade in quarterback coaching and upgrade in play calling. I am in the minority and believe Brian is a hell of coach, very good Xs and Os guy but not one that had a great game day feel and over his head in coaching QBs. I have been an OC/QB coach for many years, obviously not at the Big Ten or Power 5 level, but nonetheless. I have had full reign on play calling during the game, but I run what the head coach wants me to run. I ask to take shots during the game, usually 3rd and 4th down I ask what the HC wants. He tells me I call it out of a formation I like it to. I control the install during the week on what we as a staff like against our opponent. As OC I had complete control on how to block the box and I told the OL coach what drills would help us in the scheme that week.
I think Lester will run much more h back stuff (instead of true full back look), or more 3 back look with 2 h backs to balance up the back field to make the defense declare a strength side. I hope its more gap game scheme with power and counter instead of true inside and outside zone. I hope the zone stuff morphs into the duo stuff, basically modified zone game with those h backs and TEs.

RPO and better route trees.

Otherwise, O will likely look similar but hopefully perform better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT