ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone get any birds today?

I would love to do that just once in my life.

Ok now you guys got me all hot and bothered thinking about past pheasant hunting stories...so as good as that group hunt I referenced above was, the best hunt I have ever been on was with my Father-in-Law, my best buddy and myself.

Little dusting of snow on the ground and we are going to go hunt a friend of mines' tree draw and fence lines, nothing too big and we had never been there before BUT we knew it was right next to a big CRP field owned by some old hag that didn't let anyone hunt it and was loaded with birds, so we thought we'd get lucky.

Anyways, we pull into the field entrance right next to this CRP we can't hunt (we are hunting the tree draw and fence rows in the picked cornfield right next to it) and there are like 10 roosters and 5 hens hanging out in the picked field and as soon as we pull in they scoot back over into the forbidden CRP. So we are like "welp....there goes that, but we are already here so lets give it a shot." So us three have about a 5 minute walk back to the start of this draw (which looking on google earth now, the draw is 375 yards long) and so we send my FIL over the hill to take the fencerow to the West to meet my buddy and I at the end, and we each take one side of the draw and start heading West.

My buddy and his Griffon, myself and my Vizsla proceed to point, shoot and retrieve 9 birds in the 30 minutes it took us to walk the draw. I was 4-4 shooting and my buddy was 5-5 and we had great dog work. The FIL says when he meets up with us (he didnt see one bird in the fenceline over the hill) "I heard some shooting?!?!?" and we said "yep time to go home, we are limited out."

Was the damndest thing I ever saw. Just happened to catch lightning in a bottle as they must have been out feeding in the picked corn and upon hearing us went into the draw as opposed to busting back over to the CRP.

True story, I swear it. 9 wild birds in 30 minutes on 100% shooting.

(have since been back a few times and never saw a bird)

Capture.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT