ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone get any birds today?

Made it to base camp:
20231209-164314.jpg

And just because in the "post a picture of your dog thread" I just figured out how to upload my own imagines to post here, below are some good ones from bird hunting over the last few years:

Wore a Go-Pro one day and got the flame while the shell was ejecting on the video over a split second and was able to pause the video and screen shot it (took like 200 tries to pause it right there):
IMG-6155.jpg

Same day as the above picture, the group I go with have Wirehairs (i got a vizsla), but all 4 of them locked up on what ended up being a quail (the 4th dog is hidden in there behind the others)
IMG-6128.jpg

And then this is my old girl from another day where I actually shot my limit:
IMG-2813.jpg

And just because in the "post a picture of your dog thread" I just figured out how to upload my own imagines to post here, below are some good ones from bird hunting over the last few years:

Wore a Go-Pro one day and got the flame while the shell was ejecting on the video over a split second and was able to pause the video and screen shot it (took like 200 tries to pause it right there):
IMG-6155.jpg

Same day as the above picture, the group I go with have Wirehairs (i got a vizsla), but all 4 of them locked up on what ended up being a quail (the 4th dog is hidden in there behind the others)
IMG-6128.jpg

And then this is my old girl from another day where I actually shot my limit:
IMG-2813.jpg
That 2nd pic of the pointers backing is flipping awesome. The older I get the more I just appreciate the dog work.

Reactions: JustSayOV
Lets get some deets man!

Good comradery with the old pals you haven't seen in a while? Many an adult beverage was had? Good dog retrieval work? You shoot good or like a horse's ass? Etc Etc.
Landed late last night and just working through emails.

Awesome trip:

Alright it was my best friend, his older bro (texas) and his cousin who is 2 years younger than us that lives near Nashville now. I knew his cousin in HS but they went to a different school.

I was incorrect that the cousin, TN, had retired from the military. ( TN) is a certified bad ass. Chief warrant officer, green beret, dive squad, dudes done 7 tours, legit bad ass.

23rd birthday he was all ****ed up and made a promise that if wasn't doing shit with his life he was going into the service on his 24th.. and he did.

We ran 2 man teams, TN and I, and my best friend and his bro. I love his bro to death, but the older brother tends to get on my nerves because he is a consistent 1 up'er and the beauty of hunting is you can talk the biggest shit in the world but at some point your going to need to make the shot and the ducks don't care how fancy your gear is, it's can you perform.

Anyway. Fly to Billings via DFW rent a car and drive to powell Wyoming. The first night, steaks, bourbon, cigars around the campfire, man shit, all with the background of the mountains. 2nd day wake up, haul all the gear and set up on a river. Spent the day slaying greenheads, we did shoot a 4 geese and goldeneye also. And there are a thousand little stories weaved into all of this. Little things like My best friend only smokes cigarettes on hunt trips so he would have a celebration cig when we downed a bird. Dude smoked a full pack in like 4 hours that day and loved it. Also proceeded to put a photo on Instagram and didn't realize it and his wife busted him smoking. Dumb shit like that that will forever be stories. Work our asses of to get back to where we stayed the first night, cleaned birds packed, and moved to that shitty hotel in powel, the first night we had a bnb.

Crash after dinner, wake up and hunt a different place day 3. This place was shooting over ****ing rapids with Hart mountain as the back drop. We would down a bird and legit sprint downstream to grab birds. Al greenheads that day but I did smash the shit out of a Suzie at first light. I lost our running bet on who would shoot the first hen and we all enjoyed it. I payed the 20 bucks but the group had to recognize it was a hell of a shot. Best 20 dollar duck you can buy for the story. Get done, tear down drive to billings.

Billings Montana is a shithole. Get solicited by a prostitute on our walk to Montana brewing company last night. Shithole. Eat, drink, laugh about the trip last night. Wake up yesterday, find some souvenirs, head to Billings airport. My BF and I sit in the very back row of the plane from Billings to DFW. And drink whiskey sprites. I asked the stewardess the best way to pay and she let's us know she isn't charging us so we order another double. Land in DFW and my buddy B- lines it to the toilet and throws up in the dfw bathroom. His cousin comes out and is like, some dudes throwing up and there not realizing it was his cousin. Fly from DFW to Des Moines, land at 11, made it home by 1230 this morning. Sunburnt, tired, content.

20231210-121921.jpg

20231211-083644.jpg

* you asked if I shot well. Yeah man. My buddy and I are pretty damn good. His older bro goes on half a dozen guided hunts a year shoots hundreds of birds a year and if we didn't wait for him or let him shoot a single he wouldn't have gotten a shot of. The Green beret is also damn good and made a few really nice shots. My Buddy and I can gold our own against anyone though. He is faster than I am, ( I'm going to fuxk with karma here) I don't miss. Like legit didn't miss a bird all weekend and only had to fire a 2nd round at a bird once, With a 20. I hunt alot of public ground so when I see a bird I have to perform, so when we go to these places that have thousands of ducks in the air, it's like candy for me.

Last edited:
That 2nd pic of the pointers backing is flipping awesome. The older I get the more I just appreciate the dog work.

100000%

That picture was just pure dumb luck, with how we hunted the piece I was basically already up at the truck a little bit away and had already loaded up my old dog and had put my gun away and without getting into logistics it didn't make sense for me to post so fortunately as those guys were coming up, I was gun-less and was able to go snap that picture real quick as the others were coming up right behind. But yeah, 4 wirehairs all locked up right there in unison was awesome.

I have made the comment many times over, especially in hindsight, how I would rather have a camera with me than a gun most days to be able to capture things like group point.

Good dog work is all that matters. A day full of hen points is a great day.

Landed late last night and just working through emails.

Awesome trip:

Alright it was my best friend, his older bro (texas) and his cousin who is 2 years younger than us that lives near Nashville now. I knew his cousin in HS but they went to a different school.

I was incorrect that the cousin, TN, had retired from the military. ( TN) is a certified bad ass. Chief warrant officer, green beret, dive squad, dudes done 7 tours, legit bad ass.

23rd birthday he was all ****ed up and made a promise that if wasn't doing shit with his life he was going into the service on his 24th.. and he did.

We ran 2 man teams, TN and I, and my best friend and his bro. I love his bro to death, but the older brother tends to get on my nerves because he is a consistent 1 up'er and the beauty of hunting is you can talk the biggest shit in the world but at some point your going to need to make the shot and the ducks don't care how fancy your gear is, it's can you perform.

Anyway. Fly to Billings via DFW rent a car and drive to powell Wyoming. The first night, steaks, bourbon, cigars around the campfire, man shit, all with the background of the mountains. 2nd day wake up, haul all the gear and set up on a river. Spent the day slaying greenheads, we did shoot a 4 geese and goldeneye also. And there are a thousand little stories weaved into all of this. Little things like My best friend only smokes cigarettes on hunt trips so he would have a celebration cig when we downed a bird. Dude smoked a full pack in like 4 hours that day and loved it. Also proceeded to put a photo on Instagram and didn't realize it and his wife busted him smoking. Dumb shit like that that will forever be stories. Work our asses of to get back to where we stayed the first night, cleaned birds packed, and moved to that shitty hotel in powel, the first night we had a bnb.

Crash after dinner, wake up and hunt a different place day 3. This place was shooting over ****ing rapids with Hart mountain as the back drop. We would down a bird and legit sprint downstream to grab birds. Al greenheads that day but I did smash the shit out of a Suzie at first light. I lost our running bet on who would shoot the first hen and we all enjoyed it. I payed the 20 bucks but the group had to recognize it was a hell of a shot. Best 20 dollar duck you can buy for the story. Get done, tear down drive to billings.

Billings Montana is a shithole. Get solicited by a prostitute on our walk to Montana brewing company last night. Shithole. Eat, drink, laugh about the trip last night. Wake up yesterday, find some souvenirs, head to Billings airport. My BF and I sit in the very back row of the plane from Billings to DFW. And drink whiskey sprites. I asked the stewardess the best way to pay and she let's us know she isn't charging us so we order another double. Land in DFW and my buddy B- lines it to the toilet and throws up in the dfw bathroom. His cousin comes out and is like, some dudes throwing up and there not realizing it was his cousin. Fly from DFW to Des Moines, land at 11, made it home by 1230 this morning. Sunburnt, tired, content.

20231210-121921.jpg

20231211-083644.jpg

DUDE......that sounds amazing. So many similarities it sounds like to my yearly Canada fishing trip with the boys......the bourbon, the cigs, the bullshitting.....i love that stuff.

Yeah i always enjoy a "one-upper" eating a little crow too.....

Looks beautiful there....that last pic with skiff of snow and then peak in the distance is fantastic....not to get weird (i've done this wiht some of my neat photos) but that would be a good one to put on a larger canvas or something via shutterfly or whatever.

* you asked if I shot well. Yeah man. My buddy and I are pretty damn good. His older bro goes on half a dozen guided hunts a year shoots hundreds of birds a year and if we didn't wait for him or let him shoot a single he wouldn't have gotten a shot of. The Green beret is also damn good and made a few really nice shots. My Buddy and I can gold our own against anyone though. He is faster than I am, ( I'm going to fuxk with karma here) I don't miss. Like legit didn't miss a bird all weekend and only had to fire a 2nd round at a bird once, With a 20. I hunt alot of public ground so when I see a bird I have to perform, so when we go to these places that have thousands of ducks in the air, it's like candy for me.

That is awesome too.... i mean the trip sounds like it would have been amazing anyways, but to be able to shoot well (or better than well its sounds) really helps. Similar to golf....yeah i am glad to be on the course but always is a lot more fun when you arent playing like shit.

DUDE......that sounds amazing. So many similarities it sounds like to my yearly Canada fishing trip with the boys......the bourbon, the cigs, the bullshitting.....i love that stuff.

Looks beautiful there....that last pic with skiff of snow and then peak in the distance is fantastic....not to get weird (i've done this wiht some of my neat photos) but that would be a good one to put on a larger canvas or something via shutterfly or whatever.
It was a great time. If you do a Canada trip you know that the best parts of the trip are the little details, dumb stuff, that make the trips what they are. Yes, we damn near limited on birds both days ect but the stories are the next time my buddy and I get together and laugh. Pictures never do places like that justice. The reason we are able to go on trips like that are my buddy and I are ****ing workhorses, it takes a shit ton of energy and work and now I think we added another grinder, TN, to our group so our options will grow. He and his cousin are great friends but the green beret has just been married to the military so he hasn't been able to join us.

The other thing I will add is this was a really good trip for "me". With my daughter being where she is, some things I have cooking in my work life, my family life ect. I really took some time to sit back and acknowledge the opportunity and appreciate the shit out of good friends.

Your mom got my bird this morning. Hard to concentrate with all your antics in the basement though

I haven't been out lately, and I need to. Weather has been too damn nice for me to get too excited, let alone take a day off of work. I'll be hunting lazy muzzy, so might sit a few mornings, then pheasant hunt, then back in the stand for an evening sit. Plenty of birds around though.

I have a few sunrise photos I'm looking at putting on canvas but I didn't take a ton of photos from this trip.

That's Heart mountain. (According to a local) Scientists believe 49 million years ago Yellowstone erupted and the entire mountain was sent into the air and landed upside down. The oldest rocks are at the bottom and the newest rock is at the top which is guess is upside down from a normal mountain.

This gives more info and may be more accurate than a waiter at a brew pub.

It was a great time. If you do a Canada trip you know that the best parts of the trip are the little details, dumb stuff, that make the trips what they are. Yes, we damn near limited on birds both days ect but the stories are the next time my buddy and I get together and laugh. Pictures never do places like that justice. The reason we are able to go on trips like that are my buddy and I are ****ing workhorses, it takes a shit ton of energy and work and now I think we added another grinder, TN, to our group so our options will grow. He and his cousin are great friends but the green beret has just been married to the military so he hasn't been able to join us.

The other thing I will add is this was a really good trip for "me". With my daughter being where she is, some things I have cooking in my work life, my family life ect. I really took some time to sit back and acknowledge the opportunity and appreciate the shit out of good friends.

I get that 10000%.

Funny looking back on our yearly Canada trips....I can't tell you what years fishing was good or bad.....all seems to be in the "good" category but all the memories are from everything else like you say....the fishing is almost secondary.

And yes, my Canada week is my reset/life perspective trip every year too. Literally zero cell service or wifi the entire 7 days. I have my phone with me for pictures but literally do not receive one call, text or email all week long. I've gotten a calling card before just to use the lodge's landline to call the wife and kids.

Hunted for a couple hours Sunday. Came across probably 20 hens and only 4 roosters. Dogs got some work in at least

Hunted Saturday, took 12 roosters over the course of a few hours. Had a dog get lost for a portion of the day, or we’d have bagged quite a few more. Time spent looking for the dog was worth it, located him in the CRP field, in a ball, sleeping. Talk about finding a needle in a haystack…

Edit to add, been out two or three other times. My 3.5 year old Wirehair has been fantastic. Solid points, holding steady. Maybe whiffed 3 consecutive shots at a pointed bird, and I’m pretty sure I saw her look at me in disappointment 😂

Hunted Saturday, took 12 roosters over the course of a few hours. Had a dog get lost for a portion of the day, or we’d have bagged quite a few more. Time spent looking for the dog was worth it, located him in the CRP field, in a ball, sleeping. Talk about finding a needle in a haystack…

Edit to add, been out two or three other times. My 3.5 year old Wirehair has been fantastic. Solid points, holding steady. Maybe whiffed 3 consecutive shots at a pointed bird, and I’m pretty sure I saw her look at me in disappointment 😂
What county?

I hunt a lot next door in Winnebago and Worth. I imagine Kossuth had the same balls to the wall number of hunters driving up and down the gravel all season due to the weather?
Yeah, it was a tough year with the nice weather. Have a couple secluded spots that usually hold birds that we found nothing in several different times. Tough sledding for sure this year, but we found birds, just had to work for them.

Reactions: Here_4_a_Day
The boys and I had our final outing for the season Sunday afternoon, not optimal conditions but we managed 3 birds and flushed lots of hens. Something I had never experienced before, the dogs actually flushed 6 turkeys. That'll surprise a guy 15' away!

Reactions: DeangeloVickers
The boys and I had our final outing for the season Sunday afternoon, not optimal conditions but we managed 3 birds and flushed lots of hens. Something I had never experienced before, the dogs actually flushed 6 turkeys. That'll surprise a guy 15' away!
All Toms?

Should have taken the day to pheasant hunt, but ended up chasing deer around, until I realized my muzzy scope was ****ed up, yet again. Tag soup #2 for the season...

Took my Step dad during 2nd season and didn't see a bird, sat in the blind today for about 30 minutes and had 3 Tom's come in.

20240424-101309.jpg

IMG-20240424-111218.jpg

20240424-114902.jpg

27.5 pounds.

10 3/4 beard

1.125 inch spurs

3.5 inch snood.
After our mild winter (north central ND) I’m seeing more turkeys and pheasants than I’ve seen in my lifetime. Setting up for an incredible fall bird season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT