ADVERTISEMENT

Arctic cold front thoughts on Iowa footb

Ihawkhoops

HR All-American
Dec 10, 2015
The dust has somewhat settled. Here is may take on current/future state.

It will be interesting to see what unfolds in the bowl game. Does KF run the risk of opening things up and letting Laybas showcase his mobility or will that elicit a fake news response to his season long narrative that Laybas wasn't capable of contributing? Is it a requirement that KF show the fan base a different version of the Iowa offense in attempt to put some lipstick on the pig for next year?

WR position: I think the team will be fine if not upgraded at this spot next year There was so little production from WR's this year that the bar is low. WR's won't matter if the offense doesn't get an overhaul and if the offense doesn't change it won't matter if we have Jerry Rice, Randy Moss, and T.O. lined up.

Proctor and OL: I didn't expect him to stay with Iowa once the buzz started on social media. The kid had a lot of people in his ear telling him he was essentially too good for Iowa, so it is what it is. Next man up. We won't know the impact of adding him to the OL but similar to my WR assessment, I think there will be an upgrade from guys having another year, plugging in guys that have been injured and hopefully changing the offensive framework to play to the strength of the OL vs. dogmatically running the same crap plays.

Coaching staff: I don't see any changes happening--maybe some assistants leave on their own accord but it won't be BF. Unless KF and Barta are completely self-absorbed egomaniacs (which is quite possible) they should see the necessity to make some gesture to the fan base to acknowledge the failings of BF and KF. Similar to what Harbaugh had to do a couple years ago, KF and BF should take pay cuts and spread the $$ across the other coaches. For KF he can show some appreciation for the other units keeping Iowa from having a 3-9 season. Knocking BF down a few hundred thousand won't fully appease the fans and he will still be grossly overpaid based on performance but it will show some level of ownership/recognition.

Defense: I trust Phil to put a solid unit out there. No doubt some key losses but let's hope that the offense will improve enough to not put 11 of 12 games on the defense and special teams next year.

Offense: McNamara is a great start but the dude can't throw from his back or succeed in 3rd and long consistently. Does KF bring in a consultant to construct new offense? If not who in the hell do we have on staff that has enough creativity and credibility with KF to keep him from mucking it up? Hell, that may not be possible.

I will respond to your thoughts on the OL. I do think that the OL will be better. It needs to be.

I believe that Mason Richman will be the starting LT again. Connor Colby was definitely better as a LG than as a RT, and I expect that he will be the starting LG.

I hope that there is a full competition at C. I think that Logan Jones has the physical tools. But he has a lot of work to do on snapping technique and timing. It was somewhat reminiscent of former Nebraska C Cam Juergens. The upside is similar, but the process is painful.

At RG, I think that Stephens and Dunker showed flashes. I would love for Britt to be healthy, and to have an opportunity to show the potential that got him on the field as a true FR.

RT was a disaster, and I hope that there is a change in personnel at that position. I like Iowa's walk-on history, but I think that De Jong is experienced enough that we have a good sense of his ceiling. He has value as an experienced back-up, but I don't think that he holds up well as a starter at RT.

The OL this past season did not seem to communicate well. There were too many occasions where an opposing team's lineman was turned loose while two OL blocked a different DL. I don't know if that is a function of the proper line calls not being made, or whether that is a failure of an individual OL in not recognizing his responsibility.

I will respond to your thoughts on the OL. I do think that the OL will be better. It needs to be.

I believe that Mason Richman will be the starting LT again. Connor Colby was definitely better as a LG than as a RT, and I expect that he will be the starting LG.

I hope that there is a full competition at C. I think that Logan Jones has the physical tools. But he has a lot of work to do on snapping technique and timing. It was somewhat reminiscent of former Nebraska C Cam Juergens. The upside is similar, but the process is painful.

At RG, I think that Stephens and Dunker showed flashes. I would love for Britt to be healthy, and to have an opportunity to show the potential that got him on the field as a true FR.

RT was a disaster, and I hope that there is a change in personnel at that position. I like Iowa's walk-on history, but I think that De Jong is experienced enough that we have a good sense of his ceiling. He has value as an experienced back-up, but I don't think that he holds up well as a starter at RT.

The OL this past season did not seem to communicate well. There were too many occasions where an opposing team's lineman was turned loose while two OL blocked a different DL. I don't know if that is a function of the proper line calls not being made, or whether that is a failure of an individual OL in not recognizing his responsibility
Good take.

I wonder if we’re looking at the portal for a RT. I don’t see an answer on the roster — pretty sure the coaches felt they had it solved with KP)

I think it is insulting to KF for so many to think that he is afraid to have Labas do well because it might make him look bad. So many fans think the man has no character at all.
Probably one of the few programs in the country that has its third team QB solely focused on the practice squad…..for two years. You can’t make this stuff up. And as KF himself stated, by moving to morning practices we just don’t have the development time for younger players.

Probably one of the few programs in the country that has its third team QB solely focused on the practice squad…..for two years. You can’t make this stuff up. And as KF himself stated, by moving to morning practices we just don’t have the development time for younger players.

That’s your opinion, but not reality!

• Haha
Reactions: frydaze
I think it is insulting to KF for so many to think that he is afraid to have Labas do well because it might make him look bad. So many fans think the man has no character at all.
Not to mention thinking the HC should take a pay cut, and spread it around to the assistants. Right, because we're still doing the "KF is overpaid cry" Do some research. Sorry, but he's not based off the pay of his peers in the B1G. Not at all. He's also a guy who has often shared those bonus's with his staff, so I don't pretend to tell him what he should do with his pay.

I think if Davidkov comes back healthy he may surprise. Highly regarded recruit in the '21 class
There are several really good young olinemen on the team. I mentioned this in another thread. Davidkov, Stephens and Colby were all 4-star offensive linemen coming out of HS. Dunker and Myslinski were highly ranked 3-stars. Those are just the kids who are in their second year in campus. Dotzler and Krogh are 2 big kids who arrived this year and just need to time to fill out. Add Jones and Richman in (both switched from defense) and you have a salty 9. If Iowa could get an offensive tackle or 2 from the portal, it would give the younger players a little more time to develop and some experienced players to learn from.

It will be interesting to see what unfolds in the bowl game. Does KF run the risk of opening things up and letting Laybas showcase his mobility or will that elicit a fake news response to his season long narrative that Laybas wasn't capable of contributing? Is it a requirement that KF show the fan base a different version of the Iowa offense in attempt to put some lipstick on the pig for next year?

WR position: I think the team will be fine if not upgraded at this spot next year There was so little production from WR's this year that the bar is low. WR's won't matter if the offense doesn't get an overhaul and if the offense doesn't change it won't matter if we have Jerry Rice, Randy Moss, and T.O. lined up.

Proctor and OL: I didn't expect him to stay with Iowa once the buzz started on social media. The kid had a lot of people in his ear telling him he was essentially too good for Iowa, so it is what it is. Next man up. We won't know the impact of adding him to the OL but similar to my WR assessment, I think there will be an upgrade from guys having another year, plugging in guys that have been injured and hopefully changing the offensive framework to play to the strength of the OL vs. dogmatically running the same crap plays.

Coaching staff: I don't see any changes happening--maybe some assistants leave on their own accord but it won't be BF. Unless KF and Barta are completely self-absorbed egomaniacs (which is quite possible) they should see the necessity to make some gesture to the fan base to acknowledge the failings of BF and KF. Similar to what Harbaugh had to do a couple years ago, KF and BF should take pay cuts and spread the $$ across the other coaches. For KF he can show some appreciation for the other units keeping Iowa from having a 3-9 season. Knocking BF down a few hundred thousand won't fully appease the fans and he will still be grossly overpaid based on performance but it will show some level of ownership/recognition.

Defense: I trust Phil to put a solid unit out there. No doubt some key losses but let's hope that the offense will improve enough to not put 11 of 12 games on the defense and special teams next year.

Offense: McNamara is a great start but the dude can't throw from his back or succeed in 3rd and long consistently. Does KF bring in a consultant to construct new offense? If not who in the hell do we have on staff that has enough creativity and credibility with KF to keep him from mucking it up? Hell, that may not be possible.
I think your post is solid....but I wonder if you would consider editing it to change "Laybas" to "Labas"? Otherwise...I just can't.... : )

• Haha
Reactions: frydaze and BBHawk
We practice in the morning?

He said it limits the time to develop some of the young players. He also said it was one of the negatives moving to morning practices but over all it was better for the players.
Most teams rep two QBs…….My gripe is the amount of reps the 2 guy gets and also getting that two and 3 guy some more game time reps when the opportunity presents itself……

Reactions: BBHawk
He said it limits the time to develop some of the young players. He also said it was one of the negatives moving to morning practices but over all it was better for the players.
Most teams rep two QBs…….My gripe is the amount of reps the 2 guy gets and also getting that two and 3 guy some more game time reps when the opportunity presents itself……
So they are practicing less than the NCAA allowable limit? I would hope that isn’t the case

Anybody who just get in the way of the defensive end rushing would be an upgrade over the multitude of complete whiffs we witnessed from the RT spot. Unbelievably bad.

Agree with all of this. Iowa needs to start at the OL and get better there before anywhere else. I think they have the talent to do so.

Add in a couple WRs to go along with our group already and CM and you have the POTENTIAL for a much better unit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT