ADVERTISEMENT

B1G WBB general discussion

Anybody know why Leigha Brown was suspended this week? Michigan losing to Wisconsin today, without Leigha Brown, could potentially cost them a top 16 NCAA seed. Off-court issue? Pretty consequential.

All I could find in the Wisconsin game article was a statement from Michigan that said, “Leigha Brown will miss her second of two games due to an internal issue as the Michigan women’s basketball team faces Wisconsin on Sunday to conclude the regular season. There will be no further comment.”

Anybody know why Leigha Brown was suspended this week? Michigan losing to Wisconsin today, without Leigha Brown, could potentially cost them a top 16 NCAA seed. Off-court issue? Pretty consequential.

All I could find in the Wisconsin game article was a statement from Michigan that said, “Leigha Brown will miss her second of two games due to an internal issue as the Michigan women’s basketball team faces Wisconsin on Sunday to conclude the regular season. There will be no further comment.”

That's all I've been able to find as well. Was frustrating for me because my fantasy WBB team relies on her for assists lol. Michigan released a similar statement after the first game she missed (vs. Rutgers) about it being a so-called "internal issue."

This is non-B1G related (maybe we should start another thread for such content) but Geno sure sounds like he's about to retire. Literally says he should have retired with Stewie.

If not, does he just want all his players to transfer?

Pretty much throwing everyone under the bus after beating Xavier by only 9 points, including his coaching staff. Says "the players aren't what they used to be." and calls them all out for not really giving a shit about prepping for Xavier.

• Wow
Reactions: Bishop1971
Watching MSU/Nebraska B1G Tourny Game. Mike Hall just announced Lindsey Whalen stepping down at Minnesota effective immediately

FERPA

They are likely to “pay for it” in more ways than one. I believe it will hurt their recruiting as well. I can already sense a decline in their B1G and national status.
Seems as though the chemistry Maryland enjoyed earlier this season is completely gone. Can't imagine this is anything other than a coaching thing. I expect Maryland might have some players Iowa should look at as the portal will probably have quite a few Maryland players in it.

Seems as though the chemistry Maryland enjoyed earlier this season is completely gone. Can't imagine this is anything other than a coaching thing. I expect Maryland might have some players Iowa should look at as the portal will probably have quite a few Maryland players in it.
Maryland or Minnesota?

Blame Illinois for sure. Every school wants a one year turnaround now.
One year maybe but Whalen had six. The Minneapolis Star-Tribune blasted her today for the Gophers being totally unprepared for Penn State's press yesterday. They said next year should be prove it or lose it. Guess she didn't want to tarnish her legacy any further.

Reactions: Bishop1971
I wonder if this is last season. There was one player Brenda made the comment of about grades at the end of last season and they had several enter the portal. this year they had so many new players it took time to get chemistry.

A post from almost a year ago is suddenly relevant how?

Reactions: shikreto
I wonder if this is last season. There was one player Brenda made the comment of about grades at the end of last season and they had several enter the portal. this year they had so many new players it took time to get chemistry.
Seems like they aren't playing as well just lately. I think players are going to be leaving again because she's a narcissistic coach who doesn't care about her players, just her perception which she showed in those comments while multiple players that left are all saying the same negative stuff. That she cares about herself and not the players other than making her look good.

Watching MSU/Nebraska B1G Tourny Game. Mike Hall just announced Lindsey Whalen stepping down at Minnesota effective immediately
Not surprised. She should have been fired last season but Minny didn't want to lose recruits. She's been a disaster. Last year Minnesota actually had talent. Clearly a locker room issue with so many players leaving. Like Brenda Freese she's lost multiple players to the portal each season. Most of those players have excelled at their new school.

Reactions: UptownHawk
What are you even talking about?

• Haha
Reactions: oldhawk56
Just the interaction within the team. They're winning now but i think they are going to be vulnerable and expect multiple players to transfer again.
I expect transfers as well lol but I haven’t seen any indication they’re not playing well. They kicked our ass and multiple people have said they’re playing their best basketball. Most people have picked them over us if/when we meet them Saturday. They probably have a better path to a 1 seed than us.

I expect transfers as well lol but I haven’t seen any indication they’re not playing well. They kicked our ass and multiple people have said they’re playing their best basketball. Most people have picked them over us if/when we meet them Saturday. They probably have a better path to a 1 seed than us.
I just noticed that there's a lot more affection or open support coming from the other coaches and not Brenda. I could be wrong though. It's not like i have info or anything. It just looks like the players high five assistant coaches and other plsyers while ignoring Brenda.

Reactions: shikreto
Not rly on topic with anything recently but circling back to the oft-discussed topic of Bluder’s succession.

I remember awhile ago some discussion about the possibility of Shauna Greene (who is from Clinton/coached at Loras) taking over. I was curious if anyone knew whether she was even an Iowa fan. For all we knew, she’s from a Cyclone family.

Anyway, today I saw a promotional short the B1G made about Greene’s first season, and in an interview she said it was always her dream to be a B1G coach, it was the conference she always kept up with. I suppose it’s possible she was an Illinois fan, but I’d say chances are good she indeed cheered for the Hawks.

Last edited:
Reactions: undersized_post
I just noticed that there's a lot more affection or open support coming from the other coaches and not Brenda. I could be wrong though. It's not like i have info or anything. It just looks like the players high five assistant coaches and other plsyers while ignoring Brenda.
What are you talking about? You think a few snapshots from the bench during a game gives you complete insight into the way she runs her program? Yes several players transferred out but she was able to bring in a bunch of new players that never played together and that takes time to gel. If you pick a time to click, I think the end of the season is the best time to bring things together.

What are you talking about? You think a few snapshots from the bench during a game gives you complete insight into the way she runs her program? Yes several players transferred out but she was able to bring in a bunch of new players that never played together and that takes time to gel. If you pick a time to click, I think the end of the season is the best time to bring things together.
Im just going off what multiple former players are saying. And at the in game relationships between Brenda and the players. I also said ICOULD BE WRONG. but when that many former players have transferred out and talking about the coach. All with the same stories. Then Brenda going on her tirade throwing players under the bus it gives a person something to think about. But as i said before that you just ignore to act like an ass, I COULD BE WRONG. How many times do I need to say it. I guess I'm just used to thexplayers loving their coach at Iowa and not bashing her on social media or the iowa coach throwing players under the bus besides talking about their grades which is borderline illegal.

Really think the Holmes knee injury/aggravation killed their season, which hurts the Big Ten as it tries to cement its national rise, after a very long Big Ten Final 4 drought (except for ACC transplant MD in its first BIG season).

Also wonder (but do not know) if Teri Moren screwed things up. Watching Holmes versus OSU at the Big Ten Tourney, wondered what was the point of her playing on a bad wheel. IU had won an outright BIG, and had locked up a # 1 seed. Also wonder when Holmes re-injured her knee. During MSU tourney game? Before Big Ten Tourney?

Reactions: undersized_post
Enjoy the ride we have this year, with UCLA and USC coming in next year. Play will be much tougher in the league. Two more very good programs.

Enjoy the ride we have this year, with UCLA and USC coming in next year. Play will be much tougher in the league. Two more very good programs.
USC sure looks like it’s on the way back, with great recruiting. But until this year’s signs of life, been a long time since USC has been a good program. Haven’t won a NCAA tourney game since 2006, and haven’t been to the Sweet 16 since 1994.

Really think the Holmes knee injury/aggravation killed their season, which hurts the Big Ten as it tries to cement its national rise, after a very long Big Ten Final 4 drought (except for ACC transplant MD in its first BIG season).

Also wonder (but do not know) if Teri Moren screwed things up. Watching Holmes versus OSU at the Big Ten Tourney, wondered what was the point of her playing on a bad wheel. IU had won an outright BIG, and had locked up a # 1 seed. Also wonder when Holmes re-injured her knee. During MSU tourney game? Before Big Ten Tourney?
She injured it during a hard fall in the MSU game (BTT quarterfinals), which may also explain why that game was so close. I also question why she played so much in the OSU game, especially the second half when they had such a huge lead. All they needed to do was break the press to maintain their lead, and playing Holmes shouldn't have been necessary to do that.

p.s. That makes us the only team to have beaten a full strength Indiana team this year. ;)

Reactions: shikreto and AMAYS
Both of the teams are in talent rich areas with NIL potential that not many can match. The one burden for them is conference road games with all long plane rides

Good week for Gophers, with one (top 100 HS) commitment announced, and rumors of a transfer from Wisconsin (Wilke).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT