ADVERTISEMENT

B1G WBB general discussion

At this point, who looks to be improved and who lost a lot. I see Minnesota and Illinois with improved talent and coaching on paper. I can see them emerge. Maryland has a good coach and great recruiter but unbelievable turnover of players that want out. Can they keep that up. Nebraska played well below talent and expectation. Michigan and Michigan St talent is good but fall short of conference titles. Indiana and Ohio St both better located than us for recruiting, both have a lot of talent.

A couple of notes from Huskerland. First, they hired an assistant, who apparently isn't Britt Prince's mom.

And, they added another Aussie.

A couple of notes from Huskerland. First, they hired an assistant, who apparently isn't Britt Prince's mom.

And, they added another Aussie.
and:

Reactions: shikreto

Never rly looked at her stats before. Those percentages are something.

Looks like the Aussie is for class of 2024. Anyone else know what the rest of their 2024 class (or roster) looks like?

For some reason Raoul doesn’t track UNL (SAVAGE — he even tracks Minnesota)…

Last edited:
Mila Reynolds ('22 Maryland transfer) and Amiyah Reynolds ('23, former MD signee #43 ESPN) committed to Purdue today. B1G gets better and better.

It continues to get tougher and tougher for us to stay on top...and I still think there's at worst a 50/50 chance Morrow ends up at MD.

Duke transfer Celeste Taylor to Ohio State. 1st team all ACC & defensive player of the year
Will be interesting to see her impact on OSU. A significant step down in terms of offense from Mikesell, but a significant step up in terms of defense. Will be interesting to see if she helps improve OSU's half-court defense. OSU lived by the press last year, but was not great in half-court defense.

Reactions: undersized_post
Will be interesting to see her impact on OSU. A significant step down in terms of offense from Mikesell, but a significant step up in terms of defense. Will be interesting to see if she helps improve OSU's half-court defense. OSU lived by the press last year, but was not great in half-court defense.
They are one post player away from being a true contender.

Reactions: not_mantiteo

Good pick up for Purdue. She had an offer list similar to Affolter. Was hoping we would get her but it’s been awhile since we had heard much about her so I figured chances were slim (on top of already having 3 Gs signed already).

Illinois continuing to make noise. Good for them.

Curious how pre-season B1G rankings will shake out.

A correction needs to be made.

Caitlin Clark isn't the Larry Bird or the Damian Lillard of women's basketball.............she is the Nikola Jokic of WCBB. ;)

Jokic is currently averaging a triple double entering the NBA Finals, as a side note.

Bluder has done so much right during the Caitlin era in terms of scheduling and otherwise, but I wish she would have pursued a home-and-home series with one of the truly elite WBB programs. K-State is a nice series, but it's nothing like playing Stanford home and home, which Indiana announced it will do.

I'm sure there's a fascinating behind the scenes story about how Owusu went from a star on a top 10 Maryland team to Penn State in a little over a year.

She did not gel with her teammates or her coach at VT at all. During the VT / LSU Final Four matchup, her teammates accused her of cheering for the opposing team. Her dad tweeted that the HC has a group chat with his favorite players and she wasn’t included. Lots of drama. She almost didn’t take the COVID year.

I’m sure some programs didn’t want to deal with that mess, and I bet she also really wanted to be guaranteed a starring role. She wasted an entire year rotting on the bench at VT. She and Makena Marisa might make some noise this year, I could see them getting a big W or two. Hopefully not over us lol but perhaps Michigan, Nebraska or even Maryland.

Bluder has done so much right during the Caitlin era in terms of scheduling and otherwise, but I wish she would have pursued a home-and-home series with one of the truly elite WBB programs. K-State is a nice series, but it's nothing like playing Stanford home and home, which Indiana announced it will do.

Meh.

Sometimes it's better to save the money matchups for the actual main event than to give it away free on cable TV.......................

Absolutely would

Since Stanford Coach Tara V is an IU grad from back in the mid-70’s, this is good to see. It’s only been in recent years IU Women could compete with the likes of her Stanford clubs. OOC Games like this can certainly help on selection day.

Not vouching for the quality or the opinions, but the following is a substack devoted to BIG WBB, written by a former Ohio State-related media guy:

I read it. He currently is writing an article on each BIG team, in order of predicted finished this year. This week's article is on Illinois (predicted 5th). IU, OSU, MD and Iowa are the remaining teams.

Reactions: hawkahawk
Not vouching for the quality or the opinions, but the following is a substack devoted to BIG WBB, written by a former Ohio State-related media guy:

I read it. He currently is writing an article on each BIG team, in order of predicted finished this year. This week's article is on Illinois (predicted 5th). IU, OSU, MD and Iowa are the remaining teams.
I subscribe to this / follow him on Twitter. He is pretty entertaining and is usually pretty data-driven / analytical. He is not partial to OSU at all, he seems to have a soft spot for Nebraska though (don't we all?). He sent out a pretty great "Emergency Hoopla" after the W over SC that was written very well and also pretty funny (like many WBB fans, he has no love for Kim Mulkey due to the way she treated BG, so he really wanted us to beat LSU). He really wants the B1G as a whole to succeed and also highlights B1G alum in the WNBA on social.

He predicted us to win the B1G last year in this same series and is conservative enough that he doesn't make too many outlandish predictions. He is also rather self-depricating when he is way off, as he was with Illinois last year (again, weren't we all?). I highly recommend subscribing to both the email and following on Twitter. His player-by-player analysis is likely the only of its kind for most B1G teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: hawkahawk and AMAYS
I subscribe to this / follow him on Twitter. He is pretty entertaining and is usually pretty data-driven / analytical. He is not partial to OSU at all, he seems to have a soft spot for Nebraska though (don't we all?). He sent out a pretty great "Emergency Hoopla" after the W over SC that was written very well and also pretty funny (like many WBB fans, he has no love for Kim Mulkey due to the way she treated BG, so he really wanted us to beat LSU). He really wants the B1G as a whole to succeed and also highlights B1G alum in the WNBA on social.

He predicted us to win the B1G last year in this same series and is conservative enough that he doesn't make too many outlandish predictions. He is also rather self-depricating when he is way off, as he was with Illinois last year (again, weren't we all?). I highly recommend subscribing to both the email and following on Twitter. His player-by-player analysis is likely the only of its kind for most B1G teams.
I follow him too and agree with your assessment. He loves the B1G in general and seemed very happy for our success last season. His posts are entertaining and generally accurate.

2023-24 Media Big Ten Preseason All-Big Ten Team
Makira Cook, Sr., G, Illinois
Mackenzie Holmes, Grad., F, Indiana
CAITLIN CLARK, SR., G, IOWA
Shyanne Sellers, Jr., G, Maryland
Laila Phelia, Jr., G, Michigan
Alexis Markowski, Jr., C/F, Nebraska
Jaz Shelley, Grad, G, Nebraska
Cotie McMahon, Soph., F, Ohio State
Jacy Sheldon, Grad., G, Ohio State
Makenna Marisa, Senior+, G, Penn State

2023-24 Media Big Ten Preseason Player of the Year
Caitlin Clark, Sr., G, Iowa

Unanimous selections listed in ALL CAPS
____

How were McMahon, Sheldon, Holmes, Phelia, and Sellers NOT unanimous selections? Great reminder that media voters can be dumb as hell.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
For context, I thought that Bluder was rejecting the idea of limiting Clark to only the tools she could use in the pros.

Q. I know she’s got the ball in her hands a lot, but you were looking to maybe take advantage of the mismatches at times because of her height. Is that something you feel like you can do?

LISA BLUDER: Yeah, like last year I tried that and it didn’t go so well. But now in practice she’s trying to do it herself a little bit, so maybe it’s coming back to her. But that is an area where I think she could — but at the next level, and I’m not preparing her for the next level because that’s not my job, especially, number one. But she won’t be able to do that at the next level, either. But she’s trying it now, and she knows she can get to the free-throw line that way, too.

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
6’3” Zania Socka-Nguemen, Sidwell Friends School in D.C., Hoopgurlz #26 announced four finalists: Indiana, Michigan, Tennessee and UCLA. Will announce commitment this Friday.

Not sure who to pull for, but very jealous of Michigan’s ability to convert their newfound success, after a pitiful history, into national recruiting contender.

Last edited:
6’3” Zania Socka-Nguemen, Sidwell Friends School in D.C., Hoopgurlz #26 announced four finalists: Indiana, Michigan, Tennessee and UCLA. Will announce commitment this Friday.

Not sure who to pull for, but very jealous of Michigan’s ability to convert their newfound success, after a pitiful history, into national recruiting contender.

Wisconsin gets an official visit from a top 10 (ESPN) national player from the East Coast. Doubt she commits there, but still somewhat surprising to be in it til the end.

Reactions: shikreto

OSU falls to USC in dramatic fashion.

The Good: OSU is not the invincible juggernaut so many predicted (but many Iowa fans knew this).
The Bad: USC and UCLA may well enter the B1G as the two best teams and stay there for 2-3 years.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT