ADVERTISEMENT

Barta To Retire August 1st

justinjdry

HR MVP
Sep 6, 2017
UPDATE: Sources confirm to News 7 KWWL that University of Iowa Athletic Director Gary Barta will officially retire August 1.

The University is reportedly preparing a statement but no press conference is scheduled. There's no word yet as to who will take over Barta's position.

The original story is featured below:

IOWA CITY, Iowa (KWWL)- Several media reports indicate that University of Iowa Athletic Director Gary Barta is set to announce his retirement Friday.

Barta has for the University of Iowa for 17 years and recently completed a three-year term on the College Football Playoff Selection Committee. Officials within the department could not publicly confirm the report, saying they'll only release information "if or when" they make an announcement.

Barta, however, has faced criticism for his leadership over the department. In March, Iowa State Auditor Rob Sand opposed a settlement reached between the University of Iowa and former football players until Barta is "no longer employed."

There is no timetable for Barta's announcement or who would take over the Hawkeye athletic department.

“If you’re happy and you know it clap your hands…”
Well Done Clapping GIF by MOODMAN

Still fresh news, but any ideas who a replacement could be? I'm guessing it would probably be an outside hire and not someone within the organization getting a promotion, right?

Still fresh news, but any ideas who a replacement could be? I'm guessing it would probably be an outside hire and not someone within the organization getting a promotion, right?
Beth Goetz was hired as the deputy AD last year and is almost certainly the heir-apparent.

She's spent time at a number of different programs, including Minnesota and being a finalist for the Wisconsin AD hire. Lots of positive impressions about her.

Lol. Yeah Kirk is gonna get run off I am sure. Kirk leaves when Kirk wants to leave. The Deputy AD will get the job. Then you can complain for another 5 years.
Absolutely about the AD. Is this a way for BF to negate the "contract amendment" between him and GB, if GB isn't there maybe they can void the contract and retain BF even if he doesn't meet the "lofty" new goals?

• Angry
Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Absolutely about the AD. Is this a way for BF to negate the "contract amendment" between him and GB, if GB isn't there maybe they can void the contract and retain BF even if he doesn't meet the "lofty" new goals?
She will just become his "boss". I think we all know its a make or break year for Brian. I think he would take a different job if this year we squeak by again. If I were him and it became another controversial year for the offense, I would just leave for other employment at the end of the season and save my father the hassle.

This was floated on another website and it's completely irrational.

Being an AD is NOT the same as being a HC, especially in 2023.

Stoops has never been an AD, and has never expressed interest in being one.
And he is pretty old now too. Although well respected. And do you wanna talk about a 100% Kirk guy? That would set the anti-Kirks spinning off into oblivion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT