ADVERTISEMENT

Barta To Retire August 1st

I know he is a fall guy for BF and the employee that was dismissed and won a settlement. However, the Iowa program is in damn good shape. Nearly every program is damn good or on the rise. Also consider:
  • More than $380 million in facility upgrades and new construction projects, including Kinnick Stadium’s North Endzone; Hansen Football Performance Center; Gerdin Athletic Learning Center; Carver-Hawkeye Arena Howard Family Pavilion; Goschke Family Wrestling Training Center; Nagle Family Clubhouse and Hoak Family Golf Complex; Iowa Soccer Operations Center; P. Sue Beckwith Boathouse; and the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center natatorium, among others.
  • Raising more than $650 million in private support for athletics scholarships, operations, facilities, and endowments. During Barta’s tenure, the athletics endowment grew from $31 million to $76 million, creating numerous student-athlete scholarships in addition to administrative and coaching endowments.
Does he get any credit for the success of our program and resources or just the blame?

I know he is a fall guy for BF and the employee that was dismissed and won a settlement. However, the Iowa program is in damn good shape. Nearly every program is damn good or on the rise. Also consider:
  • More than $380 million in facility upgrades and new construction projects, including Kinnick Stadium’s North Endzone; Hansen Football Performance Center; Gerdin Athletic Learning Center; Carver-Hawkeye Arena Howard Family Pavilion; Goschke Family Wrestling Training Center; Nagle Family Clubhouse and Hoak Family Golf Complex; Iowa Soccer Operations Center; P. Sue Beckwith Boathouse; and the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center natatorium, among others.
  • Raising more than $650 million in private support for athletics scholarships, operations, facilities, and endowments. During Barta’s tenure, the athletics endowment grew from $31 million to $76 million, creating numerous student-athlete scholarships in addition to administrative and coaching endowments.
Does he get any credit for the success of our program and resources or just the blame?
Nah, the Meyer thing was entirely on him. Not because she shouldn't have been fired (she definitely deserved it, both for an inappropriate relationship with a subordinate, as well as for being a colossal bitch to everyone she worked with), but because his handling of it was straight up incompetent in regards to a complete lack of documentation.

Last edited:
Nah, the Griesbaum thing was entirely on him. Not because she shouldn't have been fired (she definitely deserved it, both for an inappropriate relationship with a subordinate, as well as for being a colossal bitch to everyone she worked with), but because his handling of it was straight up incompetent in regards to a complete lack of documentation.
I agree his handling (documentation) was subpar. Everything I've heard is she was not a good employee but there was little or no written documentation.

I am still a believer in the character of KF. Yes, he has likely let us down on occasion and certainly doesn't always make the decisions the fans want him to make - but I still think he is a man of high character.

I don't think he would continue to coach if he doesn't have the fire to do it at his best. He wants to go out "his way" and give BF one more chance to save his career in coaching (not at Iowa). He knew Barta was going to leave and he didn't want to change his OC and work under another AD. He doesn't like change.

He needed the additional contract years for recruiting.

He wants to leave the program in good shape. 2023 could be a pretty good year.

NIL, the Portal, upset about the settlement, USC and UCLA joining, so much change in CF and most of it not for the better in his eyes.

I think he will have made close to $100 million at Iowa by the end of this coming season.

I think he's done after 2023.
He has expressed frustration with NIL and transfers but I'm not sure where you are getting the idea he is losing the fire, leistikow just had an article where he said he sees momentum in the program but like I said you could be right and are certainly entitled to your opinion.

If you're right I don't think it would be a bad time to go with the west going away and I hope they give Phil real consideration. He said he'd like to try it and I think he's definitely earned it, what he's done has been amazing

UPDATE: Sources confirm to News 7 KWWL that University of Iowa Athletic Director Gary Barta will officially retire August 1.

The University is reportedly preparing a statement but no press conference is scheduled. There's no word yet as to who will take over Barta's position.

The original story is featured below:

IOWA CITY, Iowa (KWWL)- Several media reports indicate that University of Iowa Athletic Director Gary Barta is set to announce his retirement Friday.

Barta has for the University of Iowa for 17 years and recently completed a three-year term on the College Football Playoff Selection Committee. Officials within the department could not publicly confirm the report, saying they'll only release information "if or when" they make an announcement.

Barta, however, has faced criticism for his leadership over the department. In March, Iowa State Auditor Rob Sand opposed a settlement reached between the University of Iowa and former football players until Barta is "no longer employed."

There is no timetable for Barta's announcement or who would take over the Hawkeye athletic department.

This was floated on another website and it's completely irrational.

Being an AD is NOT the same as being a HC, especially in 2023.

Stoops has never been an AD, and has never expressed interest in being one.
Either was Barry Alverez.

promote Kirk to the AD's job. then see how things turn out...I believe that Brian would make a good HC. that would keep some of the key coaches on the staff,

my biggestinterest would be who he would hire as the OC/QB coach, Brian was the recruiter that got Laniaz to sign and RESAR to commit. more of a running QB recruit that had been recruited.

• Haha
Reactions: CarterHall
promote Kirk to the AD's job. then see how things turn out...I believe that Brian would make a good HC. that would keep some of the key coaches on the staff,

my biggestinterest would be who he would hire as the OC/QB coach, Brian was the recruiter that got Laniaz to sign and RESAR to commit. more of a running QB recruit that had been recruited.
Better yet, unload both the Capt and Junior.
Might be easier with their Enabler gone.

UPDATE: Sources confirm to News 7 KWWL that University of Iowa Athletic Director Gary Barta will officially retire August 1.

The University is reportedly preparing a statement but no press conference is scheduled. There's no word yet as to who will take over Barta's position.

The original story is featured below:

IOWA CITY, Iowa (KWWL)- Several media reports indicate that University of Iowa Athletic Director Gary Barta is set to announce his retirement Friday.

Barta has for the University of Iowa for 17 years and recently completed a three-year term on the College Football Playoff Selection Committee. Officials within the department could not publicly confirm the report, saying they'll only release information "if or when" they make an announcement.

Barta, however, has faced criticism for his leadership over the department. In March, Iowa State Auditor Rob Sand opposed a settlement reached between the University of Iowa and former football players until Barta is "no longer employed."

There is no timetable for Barta's announcement or who would take over the Hawkeye athletic department.
KF is next. Neither want this new conference and the inevitable early 1970’s records that are coming. Neither have the energy or talent for the new conference.

Have you lost your mind?

You really are KF… 1955 gave it away 😉

Reactions: Iron Doc
hhgf.gif

• Haha
Yo
Beth Goetz was hired as the deputy AD last year and is almost certainly the heir-apparent.

She's spent time at a number of different programs, including Minnesota and being a finalist for the Wisconsin AD hire. Lots of positive impressions about her.

You are probably right Frosty but I hope Iowa does a detailed search for the position. I think there are AD'S from other schools who would be very interested in the job.

He has expressed frustration with NIL and transfers but I'm not sure where you are getting the idea he is losing the fire, leistikow just had an article where he said he sees momentum in the program but like I said you could be right and are certainly entitled to your opinion.

If you're right I don't think it would be a bad time to go with the west going away and I hope they give Phil real consideration. He said he'd like to try it and I think he's definitely earned it, what he's done has been amazing
Well, if I were a betting man, I would bet on this being his last year - but not very much. I'm usually wrong about these kinds of predictions.

If KF were going to coach 5 more years, there is simply no rational reason for him to keep BF as OC, and no rational reason for Barta to let him keep him. "Protecting his son" doesn't fly IMO, because each year Brian has been OC he keeps digging a deeper hole for his long term career.

In my post, I said I don't think KF would continue "if he's lost his fire" to coach. I certainly don't know whether he has or not, I was just commenting on the notion that I don't think he'll continue coaching just for the paycheck.

Mike & Mike used to have a segment called Bold Predictions Sure to be Wrong. That's mine for this show!

there is so much hatred under BF Iowa went 4 straight seasons ranked in the top 25
won the BTWest championship.
had a Mackey Award winner
had 2 TE's in the same season named AA
had 2 TE's drafted in the 1st rnd something that has never been before
had a QB that improved every year in wins and stat's

Brian recruited RB Kaleb Johnson
incoming QB Lainez
in the 2024 class QB DT Resar
a major change in QB recruiting
there has been a shift to the bigger RB plus he has not had a losing season
17 8-5
18 9-4
19 10-3
20 6-2 covid shortened
21 10-4 BT West Championhip
22 8-5
total wins 51 with 23 losses.

those are not the type of seasons that get coaches fired, get over your hatred. Brian would make a very good HC. once KF hangs it up.

• Haha
Reactions: hawkcub
there is so much hatred under BF Iowa went 4 straight seasons ranked in the top 25

incoming QB Lainez
17 8-5
18 9-4
19 10-3
20 6-2 covid shortened
22 8-5

those are not the type of seasons that get coaches fired, get over your hatred. Brian would make a very good HC. once KF hangs it up.
Not sure how you can watch this Offense and the plays that are called in certain situations and come up with this opinion. Nor am I going to spend any more time thinking about the last sentence. FLUSHING!

Reactions: blhawk
I am still a believer in the character of KF. Yes, he has likely let us down on occasion and certainly doesn't always make the decisions the fans want him to make - but I still think he is a man of high character.

I don't think he would continue to coach if he doesn't have the fire to do it at his best. He wants to go out "his way" and give BF one more chance to save his career in coaching (not at Iowa). He knew Barta was going to leave and he didn't want to change his OC and work under another AD. He doesn't like change.

He needed the additional contract years for recruiting.

He wants to leave the program in good shape. 2023 could be a pretty good year.

NIL, the Portal, upset about the settlement, USC and UCLA joining, so much change in CF and most of it not for the better in his eyes.

I think he will have made close to $100 million at Iowa by the end of this coming season.

I think he's done after 2023.
In my experience, men of “high character” generally don’t hire their son to a position they’re wildly unqualified for.
They also don’t then tell everybody who questions the hire that they’re wrong, or pretend that it isn’t happening as said son fails spectacularly.

incoming QB Lainez
17 8-5
18 9-4
19 10-3
20 6-2 covid shortened
22 8-5

Brian is the “Iowa fan” scape goat. Right, wrong or indifferent. There are some here that are blaming Brian for inflation and Iowa’s voucher program.

KF acts like he has 3-6 years left in him and he wants to build the 85 man roster and have a few more top notch seasons. I can see this years team winning 10 games in the OLine is at least good. If Cade can be accurate as he has in the past, move the chains and hit 66% with a good running game the hawks should avg 27+ points per game. And the defense should be very stingy giving up yards and points which all transfers to winning a lot of games as long as they do not have crazy turnovers, missed special teams plays, and bizarre penalties.

Lol ADs don't make contracts between themselves and coaches, that'd be silly, BF's contract is with the University.
Barta ushered the contract, BF reports to him (or did), the new AD can rewrite the contract that was penned by GB and BF.

No the contract isnt between GB and BF, correct.

KF is next. Neither want this new conference and the inevitable early 1970’s records that are coming. Neither have the energy or talent for the new conference.
Another guy on here who's eyes must be brown because he's full of shit! Oh, NO, the new conference is coming. USC okay MAYBE. WE'll see, but they've had several "saviors" and none of them did shit or stuck around long. UCLA doesn't scare me. I think they are going to struggle big time in the B1G. We'll see, once they have to play more then a couple of good teams every year, not to mention their travel situation. This new conference may actually help Iowa's recruiting foot print. There are a lot of things that COULD happen. Of course some people only see the glass as totally empty all the time. Such a pitiful existence it must be too look at life that way everyday....

Another guy on here who's eyes must be brown because he's full of shit! Oh, NO, the new conference is coming. USC okay MAYBE. WE'll see, but they've had several "saviors" and none of them did shit or stuck around long. UCLA doesn't scare me. I think they are going to struggle big time in the B1G. We'll see, once they have to play more then a couple of good teams every year, not to mention their travel situation. This new conference may actually help Iowa's recruiting foot print. There are a lot of things that COULD happen. Of course some people only see the glass as totally empty all the time. Such a pitiful existence it must be too look at life that way everyday....
Dr. Phil Seuss ? Oh yeah, his eyes are very brown, like many fuskers !

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT