ADVERTISEMENT

Barta To Retire August 1st

Ah yes, in comes the backup QB (in AD dept). Who will soon become disliked for whatever reasons and we will pine for the next backup QB.
James Earl Jones Yes GIF

Reactions: Tunadog
Absolutely about the AD. Is this a way for BF to negate the "contract amendment" between him and GB, if GB isn't there maybe they can void the contract and retain BF even if he doesn't meet the "lofty" new goals?
Lol ADs don't make contracts between themselves and coaches, that'd be silly, BF's contract is with the University.

Reactions: mustang_hawk
And he is pretty old now too. Although well respected. And do you wanna talk about a 100% Kirk guy? That would set the anti-Kirks spinning off into oblivion.
I should also add that I love Bob and have never had anything against him, but I think he's a tad overrated by our fanbase because of hypotheticals.

OU may have been in a rut when he got there, but they were still OU, with all the perks and inherent advantages that brings.

Reactions: kceasthawk
Wasn't the rumor last year Barta was sticking around 1 more year because of health reasons? Beth Goetz does seem the leader and logical choice. But you never know what happens if a committee is formed.

As far as football goes KF is going to be around as long as he wants as long as he's winning at a decent level (8-4 and above). Now BF is probably in a season long interview for a job next year. Which probably isn't at Iowa. KF probably won't have the pull with new A.D. like he has with Barta. It won't go from everything to nothing. But the BF situation won't be as KF says that's how it goes.

Last edited:
Reactions: pistachio1999
I would not be surprised at all if they hired that lady. It used to be they would promote old football coaches. Not so much any more. I dont blame him for retiring. He is 60 his kids are grown up. Time to smell the roses. Ive met him and his wife before. Personally they seem like decent people.

Wasn't the rumor last year Barta was sticking around 1 more year because of health reasons? Beth Goetz does seem the leader and logical choice. But you never know what happens if a committee is formed.

As far as football goes KF is going to be around as long as he wants as long as he's winning at a decent level (8-4 and above). Now BF is probably in a season long interview for a job next year. Which probably isn't at Iowa. KF probably won't have the pull with new A.D. like he has with Barta. It won't go from everything to nothing. But the BF situation won't be as KF says that's how it goes.
I think the prevailing theory is that Goetz was hired as the AD-in-waiting, after nearly getting the Minnesota and Wisconsin jobs. They essentially just went through the hiring process a year early.

Reactions: kceasthawk
Barta did some good things, seems possible that there was a suggestion that he might choose to retire based on the issues. The Brian contract is high on that list
I would say the scandals off the field are the reason. I'm sure the racial discrimination lawsuit settlement was the last straw.

Reactions: CarterHall
This was floated on another website and it's completely irrational.

Being an AD is NOT the same as being a HC, especially in 2023.

Stoops has never been an AD, and has never expressed interest in being one.
Barry made it work well

This simply reinforces my opinion that this is KF's final season.

After the disaster that was the Iowa offense in 2022, the only reason to NOT fire BF was that KF planned to leave soon and it wasn't fair to bring in a new OC for one year. With Barta stepping down it makes even more sense.

Iowa hires a new AD, or promotes from within, and Job One is to hire a new football coach. I wouldn't be surprised if KF announces before the end of the season to allow the new AD to openly look for candidates, instead of a "hush hush" search.

KF will be 68 next season. PP is 60.

I sense a total overhaul in the making for 2024.

He is friggin Kirk's best buddy, lol.
Yes he is but he is a man of greater influence that wouldn’t put up with poor performance.
I firmly believe he would press for a change that would save face for everyone.
That would be the ultimate win.

I really hope they find someone who's with the times; supporting the NIL and expects more from our coaches, like championships. No more nepotism nonsense and an awareness of the current and future college athletics landscape.
Remember when Gary asked if you'd rather have a coach that does it the right way, or one who wins the wrong way, or something like that? Like, we couldn't possibly ask for a coach that wins the right way.

This simply reinforces my opinion that this is KF's final season.

After the disaster that was the Iowa offense in 2022, the only reason to NOT fire BF was that KF planned to leave soon and it wasn't fair to bring in a new OC for one year. With Barta stepping down it makes even more sense.

Iowa hires a new AD, or promotes from within, and Job One is to hire a new football coach. I wouldn't be surprised if KF announces before the end of the season to allow the new AD to openly look for candidates, instead of a "hush hush" search.

KF will be 68 next season. PP is 60.

I sense a total overhaul in the making for 2024.
You could be right but considering he's said he has no life outside of football I just don't see him walking away from the bulk of that $49 million he's due if he stays. 5 more seasons would be my guess but we shall see

The Goetz resume looks pretty strong. Seems like a good choice.

If they do decide to have a search, how about considering Merton Hanks?

I would not be surprised at all if they hired that lady. It used to be they would promote old football coaches. Not so much any more. I dont blame him for retiring. He is 60 his kids are grown up. Time to smell the roses. Ive met him and his wife before. Personally they seem like decent people.
tommy-boy-nice-guy.gif

You could be right but considering he's said he has no life outside of football I just don't see him walking away from the bulk of that $49 million he's due if he stays. 5 more seasons would be my guess but we shall see
I am still a believer in the character of KF. Yes, he has likely let us down on occasion and certainly doesn't always make the decisions the fans want him to make - but I still think he is a man of high character.

I don't think he would continue to coach if he doesn't have the fire to do it at his best. He wants to go out "his way" and give BF one more chance to save his career in coaching (not at Iowa). He knew Barta was going to leave and he didn't want to change his OC and work under another AD. He doesn't like change.

He needed the additional contract years for recruiting.

He wants to leave the program in good shape. 2023 could be a pretty good year.

NIL, the Portal, upset about the settlement, USC and UCLA joining, so much change in CF and most of it not for the better in his eyes.

I think he will have made close to $100 million at Iowa by the end of this coming season.

I think he's done after 2023.

Reactions: cm8124 and hawkcub
I am still a believer in the character of KF. Yes, he has likely let us down on occasion and certainly doesn't always make the decisions the fans want him to make - but I still think he is a man of high character.

I don't think he would continue to coach if he doesn't have the fire to do it at his best. He wants to go out "his way" and give BF one more chance to save his career in coaching (not at Iowa). He knew Barta was going to leave and he didn't want to change his OC and work under another AD. He doesn't like change.

He needed the additional contract years for recruiting.

He wants to leave the program in good shape. 2023 could be a pretty good year.

NIL, the Portal, upset about the settlement, USC and UCLA joining, so much change in CF and most of it not for the better in his eyes.

I think he will have made close to $100 million at Iowa by the end of this coming season.

I think he's done after 2023.
I bet not. He loves being with the young guys and teaching. If he were to have a health issue or Mary did then I would say yeah he is done.

Lol, yeah he did wonders as Nebby's AD...
Are you really that uninformed?

Osborne fired football coach Bill Callahan and hired Bo Pelini. He helped Nebraska move from the Big 12 to the Big 10 Conference. He also made major changes for basketball – hiring men’s coach Tim Miles, building a new practice facility, and pushing for the new Pinnacle Bank Arena going up in downtown Lincoln.

Raised millions of dollars and stabilized the athletic department in 5-6 year tenure.

Are you really that uninformed?

Osborne fired football coach Bill Callahan and hired Bo Pelini. He helped Nebraska move from the Big 12 to the Big 10 Conference. He also made major changes for basketball – hiring men’s coach Tim Miles, building a new practice facility, and pushing for the new Pinnacle Bank Arena going up in downtown Lincoln.

Raised millions of dollars and stabilized the athletic department in 5-6 year tenure.
I don't think you're qualified to ask anyone that question.

Pelini was an alright hire until he pissed off the entire admin and fanbase, a personality flaw Osbourne knew about. Miles was .500 overall in conference. The Big 10 move has been great for money, terrible for revenue sports considering their overall record in both of them. And for his many faults, Barta was as good if not a better fundraiser.

But at the very least, he had administrative experience as a state senator, which was my entire point to begin with. Bob does not, nor has he ever expressed a desire to do so.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT