ADVERTISEMENT

Barta

What makes you say that? Considering we're a top 20 athletic program financially (might be up to 15?), I'd say we're not doing well enough all around. That's not even getting into all of the scandals that have happened directly because of his incompetence over the past 10ish years.

Iowa was just rated #7 for athletic programs in the country by ESPN.

Football finished 25th with an Outback Bowl Victory.

WBB made the Elite 8

MBB made the round of 32

Track program finished top 25

Baseball program although a bad finish has picked up.

Wrestling finished top 5 and is favored by many to win it all in 2020.

You'd have to be obtuse to say this year wasn't s success for our athletic programs. Are you?

Iowa was just rated #7 for athletic programs in the country by ESPN.

Football finished 25th with an Outback Bowl Victory.

WBB made the Elite 8

MBB made the round of 32

Track program finished top 25

Baseball program although a bad finish has picked up.

Wrestling finished top 5 and is favored by many to win it all in 2020.

You'd have to be obtuse to say this year wasn't s success for our athletic programs.

This year? Sure. But for all the money we pull in, you'd think we'd be doing much better. Constantly competing for conference championships etc etc.

Reactions: naturalmwa
This year? Sure. But for all the money we pull in, you'd think we'd be doing much better. Constantly competing for conference championships etc etc.

You make no sense.

Fran has restored the program to Tom Davis levels after inheriting a dumpster fire.

Our football program has won at least 8 games, including our best season just in 2015.

Our WBB has been great with the coach of the year.

Our track program just won the conference.

Are you saying we should be beating Michigan and OSU in major sports routinely?

Reactions: mrF6n6
You make no sense.

Fran has restored the program to Tom Davis levels after inheriting a dumpster fire.

Our football program has won at least 8 games, including our best season just in 2015.

So revenues are down slightly overall, I would think that has quite a bit to do with the downfall of the farm economy, more than anything Barta is doing. I think how he handles the Ferentz transition is going to be dicey for him, but if head coach Ferentz V2 does well, then he will be here a while.

You make no sense.

I'll just leave the Chronicles of Barta here: https://www.goiowaawesome.com/iowa-hawkeyes-news/2018/11/3435/the-chronicles-of-barta

If you can explain any of that to me as to why Barta isn't terrible for Iowa (besides the fact that he brings in tons of $$$) please let me know.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
We can have a successful athletic program and still realize that Barta is a bumbling idiot.

Easy for keyboard simpletons to cast simplistic ad hominem from afar but results matter.

There are a lot of moving parts and I'm happy with the direction of all of our major athletic programs.

Barta has helped in the development of great staffs and our major programs are consistently in the top half of the conference.

When you look around the conference there might be 2 to 3 other departments in better shape now.

Would you want to be Illinois, Maryland, Indiana, Rutgers, Minnesota or Nebraska right now?

I'll just leave the Chronicles of Barta here: https://www.goiowaawesome.com/iowa-hawkeyes-news/2018/11/3435/the-chronicles-of-barta

If you can explain any of that to me as to why Barta isn't terrible for Iowa (besides the fact that he brings in tons of $$$) please let me know.

A really foolish and one sided article.

Example, criticizes contract awarded to KF after the Orange Bowl because they fell back the next few years. Never mind the best regular season in Iowa history in 2015. KF will arguably go down as the best Iowa coach in history when the dust settles but like Barta, KF has rubes call for his firing annually.

The issues like the rowing settlement are one sided. Anytime a large entity like a corporation or university in this case are involved in litigation, you'll always hear the plaintiff's side of the story and likely not the defendant's. Settlements are also common.

You make no sense.

Highest Directors cup finish in years.... 38th! only behind Indiana, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Penn State and Michigan. Way to go Barta!

Easy for keyboard simpletons to cast simplistic ad hominem from afar but results matter.

There are a lot of moving parts and I'm happy with the direction of all of our major athletic programs.

Barta has helped in the development of great staffs and our major programs are consistently in the top half of the conference.

When you look around the conference there might be 2 to 3 other departments in better shape now.

Would you want to be Illinois, Maryland, Indiana, Rutgers, Minnesota or Nebraska right now?
Indiana, Minnesota and Nebraska are doing just fine. Lol

Example, criticizes contract awarded to KF after the Orange Bowl because they fell back the next few years. Never mind the best regular season in Iowa history in 2015. KF will arguably go down as the best Iowa coach in history when the dust settles but like Barta, KF has rubes call for his firing annually.

The issues like the rowing settlement are one sided. Anytime a large entity like a corporation or university in this case are involved in litigation, you'll always hear the plaintiff's side of the story and likely not the defendant's. Settlements are also common.

We DID fall back quite a bit after the Orange Bowl year. I'm glad that the stars aligned, Kirk changed his ways, and we were able to put together a great year in 2015. But the years in between are some of the darkest years in Ferentz football outside of his first couple of years, and you can't deny that.

You single out the rowing incident with some fluff about not hearing the defendant's story, but don't really give reasons why that somehow makes Barta look better in this situation. He's the AD and the face of the athletic department. Just like how the president is the face of the university.

Indiana, Minnesota and Nebraska are doing just fine. Lol

Fine but I'll take Iowa.

Minnesota does well in non revenue generating sports but Iowa is consistently better in Football and basketball.

So again I ask, would you rather have Kirk/Fran or lil Richard/the boat rower?

Fine but I'll take Iowa.

Minnesota does well in non revenue generating sports but Iowa is consistently better in Football and basketball.

But we're not talking about our coaches versus other coaches. Kirk was here before Barta. Fran is also always on the hot seat and for the talent we have on the court, we should be performing better.

Reactions: LGEND24
Fine but I'll take Iowa.

That would be biased for me to answer that.

But the years in between are some of the darkest years in Ferentz football outside of his first couple of years.

Lol, we've had no fewer than 8 wins in the past 4 years. We've had 1 season with a losing record since 2010.

Darkest days my @ss.

Reactions: HemiHawk
Lol, we've had no fewer than 8 wins in the past 4 years. We've had 1 season with a losing record since 2010.

Darkest days my @ss.

I guess you either didn't comprehend what I said or I didn't write it well enough, but I was referring to the time between the Orange Bowl win and 2015. The past few years have been the same, standard Ferentz records that we've come to expect.

Darkest days my @ss.
Regarding football here: the question shouldn't be how many losing seasons have we had since 2010, but rather how many divison / conference championships do we have since 2010.

I guess you either didn't comprehend what I said or I didn't write it well enough, but I was referring to the time between the Orange Bowl win and 2015. The past few years have been the same, standard Ferentz records that we've come to expect.

"We've had 1 season with a losing record since 2010."

What part of since 2010 doesn't cover the time between the major bowls?

But the issue is moot. Are you actually saying we shouldn't have extended KF with a lucrative contract following an Orange Bowl win because Barta was supposed to guess we'd have 3 subpar finishes in the next 5? If not then WTF is your point?

Regarding football here: the question shouldn't be how many losing seasons have we had since 2010, but rather how many divison / conference championships do we have since 2010.

So if you're the athletic director what is your call?

It's easy to sit back and complain that we're not OSU or Wisconsin.

Do you not extend KF and elect for the unknown of a new coaching staff?

I'd argue that you would have been an idiot not to extend him. I believe we're in great shape now and trending up.

A lot of you guys criticize without any substantive action plan for what you believe we should do differently with head coaching decisions.

A lot of you guys criticize without any substantive action plan for what you believe we should do differently with head coaching decisions.

I think not discriminating coaches, using personal vendettas to oust popular figures in Iowa athletics, and not stirring up more drama would be a pretty good start. I'm sure I can turn that into a powerpoint if I can apply for AD though :)

My own take.

Barta is a very good fundraiser and very averse to risk/change. It's fine to be a supporter of Fran and Ferentz, but the very one-sided extensions are befuddling.
He is not good as a people manager as evidence of not being competent enough to fire an administrator not doing her job very well.
Track, baseball, golf, etc have improved dramatically basically because he hired competent assistant AD's to be in charge of getting good coaches in those spots and funding them adequately. More of that please.
He evidently is also very good at making the right connections by being able to survive the settlement over the Meyers and Griesbaum suits.

I think not discriminating coaches, using personal vendettas to oust popular figures in Iowa athletics, and not stirring up more drama would be a pretty good start. I'm sure I can turn that into a powerpoint if I can apply for AD though :)

Personally I believe that an assistant athletic director should not be involved in a conflict of interest romantic relationship with her subordinate and would have been terminated in vast sectors of the private sector for that.

The answer is obvious. It just thoroughly debunks your prior post so you won't.
How does it debunk that Indiana, Minnesota and Nebraska's athletic programs are doing just fine?
Please explain.

It's easy to sit back and complain that we're not OSU or Wisconsin.

Do you not extend KF and elect for the unknown of a new coaching staff?

I'd argue that you would have been an idiot not to extend him. I believe we're in great shape now and trending up.

Year 20 and we are trending up folks.

Personally I believe that an assistant athletic director should not be involved in a conflict of interest romantic relationship with her subordinate and would have been terminated in vast sectors of the private sector for that.
Then you must also think a competent AD could have easily managed such a clear-cut situation, correct?

I mean, you wouldn't blast people for being one-sided and simpletons, and then turnaround and suggest Barta only got sued because he's in the public sector. Would you? Because that would make you look pretty ridiculous, right?

Last edited:
Reactions: Niko13
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT