ADVERTISEMENT

Best Players Tonight?

unoHawkeye

HR Legend
Jul 30, 2015
CJ Fredrick: 9 points, 2 assists (led team), 4/5 from the field, 1/1 from three, 1 block, zero turnovers

Keegan Murray: 7 points, 6 rebounds (2nd on the team), 3/6 from the field, 1/2 from three, 1 block, zero turnovers

Both played solid defense, all things considered

On one hand I see it as a great positive for the future that it was two of Iowa’s young guys who rose to the occasion and played great against a Top 3 team in the country. Not to mention that the majority of their combined points came off of shots that they both created themselves (in the lane no less!), which was otherwise lacking severely tonight

On the other hand, I see it as extremely concerning for the immediate future that two of our best players at getting a shot off the dribble get such limited looks. Fredrick specifically, at what point is he going to be encouraged to start hunting shots? Even last game against PSU, he was out of his mind in the first half, and just stopped shooting in the second. Did he even have a shot attempt in the second half tonight? This is absolutely outrageous to me. We needed points, and continued to let Bohannon chuck and Garza miss bunnies. Fran needs to have the wherewithal to draw up plays for the guys with the hot hand and/or tell them to go to work... especially when the threes aren’t falling as they were not tonight. When Wagner got hot for Michigan in the second half, who kept shooting the ball? Wagner. Then Livers got going and got up several shot attempts. Force feeding Garza on an off-night just isn’t the answer

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
CJ didn't score in the 2nd half and may not have taken a shot.
Luka should have taken more jump shots, 3 pointers too. They were looking for him down low.
Agreed, I think Luka would have found much more success tonight facing Dickinson up more, as a poster in the game thread also said. Dickinson is more athletic, more lengthy, and as aggressive at Garza. The back to the basket game wasn’t going to happen tonight. It doesn’t help that the two have been training together for years, and Hunter probably is very familiar with Luka’s moves. He was all over that “spin to the left shoulder hook shot”

Agreed, I think Luka would have found much more success tonight facing Dickinson up more, as a poster in the game thread also said. Dickinson is more athletic, more lengthy, and as aggressive at Garza. The back to the basket game wasn’t going to happen tonight. It doesn’t help that the two have been training together for years, and Hunter probably is very familiar with Luka’s moves. He was all over that “spin to the left shoulder hook shot”

I'm always for more CJ shots...4/5 in 1st half and none in 2nd half happens a lot with him. Doesn't hunt shots.

Livers was 5/8 from field and 4/5 from three. Wagner was 9/12 from field and shot well from 3pt line.
Our starting PF CMAC was 0-2 and the other JoeW was 4/9 and only 1-5 from 3pt line.

Defensively, forwards Livers and Wagner killed Iowa. The Michigan guards didn't shoot particularly well.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
Why no Ke. guarding Wagner? Maybe Patrick.
They are the only two who match up with him lengthwise yet he torches Joe all night.

That should lay to rest the concerns about Weezy turning pro after this year.

I'm always for more CJ shots...4/5 in 1st half and none in 2nd half happens a lot with him. Doesn't hunt shots.

Livers was 5/8 from field and 4/5 from three. Wagner was 9/12 from field and shot well from 3pt line.
Our starting PF CMAC was 0-2 and the other JoeW was 4/9 and only 1-5 from 3pt line.

Defensively, forwards Livers and Wagner killed Iowa. The Michigan guards didn't shoot particularly well.
Bohannon and CJ actually played really solid games defensively tonight imo. Wieskamp had arguably his worst defensive game of the season and Livers scored quite a few points down the stretch on Perkins

Reactions: BDJHawk
Agreed but they seem closer in length. Wagner was way too long for JW.

That's what she said.
It seemed like he was actually quicker than Joe. He had several legit blow-by’s which was really surprising to me. Wagner is a solid athlete

Everyone is more athletic than Garza.

What makes Dickinson uniquely suited to defend Garza is that his is not very athletic so he doesn't try to jump.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT