ADVERTISEMENT

*****Iowa (W) vs Nebraska Game Thread*****

Just looking tired and annoyed. Not sure if she is letting the record get to her? Just play your game. Absolutely felt like she wanted to get the record at home
Ridiculous as it sounds, it almost looked as if Bluder was just trying to do just that. They stopped being aggressive and the energy just died in the 4th like a KFz team trying to sit on a lead and run the clock out.

Bluder obviously decided to take Clark out of the offense at the start of the 4thQ. How goddamn stupid is that?

Marshall 0-5 on wide-open-nobody-within-the-same-zip-code 3PT FGAs.

At least 4 easy shots missed at the basket.

Should have been a win.

I like Gabby but my God, she can't help the team with her size and her shot MIA. Play Affolter instead and at least get better defense and rebounding. I also think BLuder wanted CC to break the record in IC and that is what cost the game. Bad coaching decision on both Gabby and CC.

Clark is 12 of her last 41 from three... 29%. She is missing way too many shots. 35 footers are not good shots, even for her.

I like Gabby but my God, she can't help the team with her size and her shot MIA. Play Affolter instead and at least get better defense and rebounding. I also think BLuder wanted CC to break the record in IC and that is what cost the game. Bad coaching decision on both Gabby and CC.
Lisa Bluder said as much last Thursday in the post game press conference.

Clark is missing a lot of threes, but at least most of her shots are well-defended or from 25-35 feet. Marshall is getting practice threes and clanking all of 'em.

Gabby was not even moving without the ball cuz she didn’t want it passed to her. It’s really in her head right now and seems too late in the season to change it. I really don’t understand why she was in there down the stretch. Reminds me of mens team when Connor McCaffery wouldn’t/couldn’t shoot from three but was always getting minutes.

When Clark missed those two late FTs, I thought to myself, "I hope those don't come back to hurt Iowa." I didn't expect they actually would. Those two points were HUGE.

Walking the ball up the floor up the court every possession and not having Clark involved or initiating the offense in the 4th qtr wasn’t bad coaching?
You don't think Nebraska's defense had a little to do with that?

Walking the ball up the floor up the court every possession and not having Clark involved or initiating the offense in the 4th qtr wasn’t bad coaching?
Third quarter..... Clark drive and dish, Clark drive and FTs, repeat.... Iowa big lead
Fourth quarter.... pass it around, hope to hit a three.... Nebby wins.

Typically a big Gabbie fan, but she struggled on defense mightily today too
Bluder obviously decided to take Clark out of the offense at the start of the 4thQ. How goddamn stupid is that?

At least 4 easy shots missed at the basket.

Should have been a win.
Clark is missing a lot of threes, but at least most of her shots are well-defended or from 25-35 feet. Marshall is getting practice threes and clanking all of 'em.
Hasnt taken a contested three all year. They’re ALL wide open. Watch effort on the last 2 side out of bounds plays. Wanted nothing to do with the ball. Jogged and didn’t even do it outside the 3 point line when we absolutely had to had a 3.

Reactions: ShonnDeereGreene
Don't know why they even pass the ball to Gabby..she is offering nothing at this point.

“It’s gonna happen — so to me, that’s not important,” Bluder said of Clark’s chase for the record. “It’s important to win this game. I would rather break it at home, just because I think our Carver-Hawkeye fans deserve that. But believe me that our No. 1 priority will be to win the game at Nebraska.”
~ Lisa Bluder, 2/10/24

I can’t prove it but I believe Bluder swallowed that quote with 10 minutes to go. She wanted the scoring record to happen at CHA.

This is the first game I've listened to in a while. And this is exactly the reason why I usually don't. Hawks choked hard as **** today.

We choked that game away. Stop pointing to the goddamn refs, ESPECIALLY with our crappy performance.

Dipshit.
Are you alleging the refs did a good job? Seriously? Yes, we played a horrible 4th quarter. Blew a 14 point lead. Should have won. However Women’s Big Ten refs are house league horrible. Caitlin got fouled three times on one possession before she hit a 3. Obviously the Big Ten does not care. As a former high school coach I would have been tossed in several games because of the incompetent referees. Pitiful. Now the Hawks need to regroup for the next one and build to win the conference.

Reactions: Chuck C
Man Bluder messed this one up royaly. Forget the damn record, she just cost a rival game & more importantly, the Big Ten.

Have to let the girls run and score where there's opportunity. Slowed it down to set offense wayyyy too much.

Hasnt taken a contested three all year. They’re ALL wide open. Watch effort on the last 2 side out of bounds plays. Wanted nothing to do with the ball. Jogged and didn’t even do it outside the 3 point line when we absolutely had to had a 3.
Same with Syd. Didn't want to shoot the wide open 3

“It’s gonna happen — so to me, that’s not important,” Bluder said of Clark’s chase for the record. “It’s important to win this game. I would rather break it at home, just because I think our Carver-Hawkeye fans deserve that. But believe me that our No. 1 priority will be to win the game at Nebraska.”
~ Lisa Bluder, 2/10/24

I can’t prove it but I believe Bluder swallowed that quote about 30 minutes ago. She wanted to the scoring record to happen at CHA.
Looks pretty obvious that she thought they could stall out the 4th and do just that. It backfired on her.

Are you alleging the refs did a good job? Seriously? Yes, we played a horrible 4th quarter. Blew a 14 point lead. Should have won. However Women’s Big Ten refs are house league horrible. Caitlin got fouled three times on one possession before she hit a 3. Obviously the Big Ten does not care. As a former high school coach I would have been tossed in several games because of the incompetent referees. Pitiful. Now the Hawks need to regroup for the next one and build to win the conference.
Unfortunately, they try to 'dumb' the game down for lesser players, so Clark has to work twice as hard instead of getting the same treatment as every other player.

She legitimately should be averaging 36+ a game if they're doing their jobs.

More, re. Clark's looong threes. Most of her 35+ footers are barely even hitting the rim. She might hit 1 out of 10 of those. It is just a poor shot and she should stop taking them.

Reactions: ShonnDeereGreene
Gabby was not even moving without the ball cuz she didn’t want it passed to her. It’s really in her head right now and seems too late in the season to change it. I really don’t understand why she was in there down the stretch. Reminds me of mens team when Connor McCaffery wouldn’t/couldn’t shoot from three but was always getting minutes.
She's a solid defender (even though she did a poor job of staying with Shelley on that last 3).

If anyone wants to blame Bluder for anything, blame her for not allowing other guards to gain confidence in the game by looking for their shot so that they can replace Gabbie since she can't score anymore.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT