ADVERTISEMENT

Biden's team bracing for special counsel's report on classified docs

At the basic level both were wrong for having classified information. BOTH of them. The stark difference is at least Biden cooperated and turned things over when it was discovered. This is where Trump failed miserably... by denying, lying, hiding, asking witnesses to lie or hide things. Had he just gave the stuff back he'd have gotten a slap on the wrist... which still maybe be the case.

Again, nobody should be surprised Biden is forgetful. Hell, I'm about half his age and I forget things often, so I get it. However, Trump has plenty of gaffs and tells a shit ton of lies, plus looking at his waistline he appears to be ticking time bomb for a heart attack. I really wish we didn't have two 80ish year old's as the choices. I'm curious if this stuff does damage to Biden beyond this weekly news cycle or will it just fade in a few days or a week. I think these two debating would be embarrassing for both.
Bro, why can't we just talk about Biden in a Biden thread? Why does his actions have to be compared to Trump? Trump is a sociopath who loves himself above all. There's nothing he does that surprises me at this point.

Biden, however, isn't a POS and is the current president. Just because Trump is the anti-Christ doesn't mean Joe just gets a free pass. This thread should 100% be about Biden...we can have another thread to discuss Trump's mishandling of classified information.

Tell me you don't understand dementia, without actually telling me.

Common symptoms in the early stage include:
  • Forgetfulness,
  • Difficulty learning new things and following conversations,
  • Difficulty concentrating or limited attention span,
  • Mood shifts including apathy and depression and
  • Mild co-ordination problems.
Good days/bad days were most often described as changes in the same core set of symptoms (e.g. less/more verbal repetition). In other cases, only good or only bad days were described (e.g. no bad days, better sense of humor on good days). Good days were typically associated with improved global cognition, function, interest, and initiation. Bad days were associated with frequent verbal repetition, poor memory, increased agitation and other disruptive behaviors.

The videos are endless...he forgets to sign an EO in one video, forgets to shake a presidents hand in this one.

If he's this bad now, imagine a few more years from now. Hell, Mike Martin Sr. retired from coaching in 2019 and just died in Feb 2024 from Dementia. Why do you refuse to see it? It reminds me of the dimwits who ONLY look at the calm strolling around the Capital videos and refuse to acknowledge the violent ones. Why do you only look at the videos where he does well and discount the dozens upon dozens of videos where he forgets the date, forgets key leaders of foreign countries names, etc. etc. etc. I've never seen this level of missteps of any president, Democrat or Republican.

It's okay to like a President, while also acknowledging that, "Holy $hit, he's declining quickly." He's 81 years old and having a FIL with dementia and losing an aunt and grandmother to Alzheimers, it's really not hard to see what's going on after you've literally lived with it.

So Hur is a doctor now trying to diagnose dementia? What expertise does he have to make to call? Why would he even try making to call to begin with?

Reactions: Tom Paris
Bro, why can't we just talk about Biden in a Biden thread? Why does his actions have to be compared to Trump? Trump is a sociopath who loves himself above all. There's nothing he does that surprises me at this point.

Biden, however, isn't a POS and is the current president. Just because Trump is the anti-Christ doesn't mean Joe just gets a free pass. This thread should 100% be about Biden...we can have another thread to discuss Trump's mishandling of classified information.
lol Good luck with that. Both did something similar in keeping classified docs and both are old men with issues. They are running against each other for a second time. They are attached.

Reactions: Ghee Buttersnaps
I think we'd have to see video of the deposition to make that assessment. I have no idea why that came up.

Maybe he will be asked if he goes before congress.
If I'm suspected of taking documents at work and they ask me about being bisexual they are out of line and the investigator has an agenda. Surely you can agree with this, right?

Exactly. Home Alone 2 has nothing to do with Mueller just as Joe's dead son has nothing to do with classified documents. Hur was way out of line asking it.
We have no idea what was asked and in what context that particular subject came up. We'd need to see a transcript of the deposition or video to make that determination.

Reactions: HIWILLE
If I'm suspected of taking documents at work and they ask me about being bisexual they are out of line and the investigator has an agenda. Surely you can agree with this, right?
You're dealing in hypotheticals Huey. We have no idea what's in the deposition. It needs to be released to clear things up IMO.

Probably, unless they think you shared documents with your lover who works for a foreign govt.

I’ll ask one more time - if you guys had to choose one or the other - would you prefer what Hur did or would you prefer that he filed charges without making any comment on Biden’s wellness?
Filing charges is the only correct answer, especially given trump's treatment for nearly identical "crimes".

Exactly. Home Alone 2 has nothing to do with Mueller just as Joe's dead son has nothing to do with classified documents. Hur was way out of line asking it.
Is he a doctor? No. Is it standard practice for investigators to seek out answers to mental health questions? You bet your sweet a$$ it is. Anyone who has access to classified material no longer has free reign to just behave however they want. For 27 years my financial, physical, and mental health were evaluated through a myriad of methods, mental health evaluations, polygraphs, financial records. Heck, I was required to report a simple speeding ticket to my FSO.

Here's a standard question that can be asked, "Does the person under investigation have a condition that could impair his or her judgment, reliability or ability to properly safeguard classified information?"

Again, it doesn't take a professional to see Biden isn't 100%.

lol Good luck with that. Both did something similar in keeping classified docs and both are old men with issues. They are running against each other for a second time. They are attached.
And neither of them are fit for office. Unfortunately, there are way too many people who only think one of them isn't fit for office. It's really sad. EVERY American should be concerned about the next 4 years. Our choices are very bad (Biden) and horrible (Trump).

We have no idea what was asked and in what context that particular subject came up. We'd need to see a transcript of the deposition or video to make that determination.
Please explain what possible context could come up to bring a dead son into this investigation beyond trying to fluster the president?

Is he a doctor? No. Is it standard practice for investigators to seek out answers to mental health questions? You bet your sweet a$$ it is. Anyone who has access to classified material no longer has free reign to just behave however they want. For 27 years my financial, physical, and mental health were evaluated through a myriad of methods, mental health evaluations, polygraphs, financial records. Heck, I was required to report a simple speeding ticket to my FSO.

Here's a standard question that can be asked, "Does the person under investigation have a condition that could impair his or her judgment, reliability or ability to properly safeguard classified information?"

Really? So why didn't Hur accuse all the other subjects of mental deficiencies when they couldn't remember answers? It's a hit job. Too many red flags not to be. Be honest.

Please explain what possible context could come up to bring a dead son into this investigation beyond trying to fluster the president?
Why are you so fixated on a single question? Do you know how many extremely personal questions I've been asked by OEM Security Investigators, OSI during polygraphs, etc.?

Here's the thing. I think Hur had to have known including this stuff in the report was going to cause a shit storm.

He's more than likely going to be grilled about it by D's if he testifies before congress. If I was a betting man he probably has a laundry list of things Joes didn't remember or was mistaken about in those five hrs of the deposition. The examples in the report are PROBABLY just the most egregious.

D's might not want to open that can of worms.

Reactions: BustingNarratives
Joe bringing it up in the 5 hrs of testimony is a possibility. He seems to bring it up quite often.

Why are you so fixated on a single question? Do you know how many extremely personal questions I've been asked by OEM Security Investigators, OSI during polygraphs, etc.?
Because it highlights the biased nature of his investigation. His son has absolutely nothing to do with classified documents. Not one shred. Yet Hur uses it as one of his main reasons to justify his medical call of Biden having a screw loose.

His son is relevant because they found letters and other mementos of Beau that did not exist until after he left office contained in the same folder as some of the classified documents that he was not authorized to keep after leaving office.

The fact that those items were stored so close together indicates Biden knew the classified documents were there.

Dispute my point then. Johnson does it. Trump does it. Jesse Waters does it. But Joe is the only one who deserves to get call mentally deficient?

But Joe is the only one with the tell tale stick up his butt old man gait,.. the guy is dust in multiple ways.

So Hur is a doctor now trying to diagnose dementia? What expertise does he have to make to call? Why would he even try making to call to begin with?
Hur isn’t trying to make a medical diagnosis. He’s making a judgment call, as a prosecutor, on whether or not he can secure a unanimous conviction. Part of that calculus is anticipating what the defense’s strategy will be. He surmised that Biden’s lawyers would appeal to the jury’s empathy by depicting Biden as a well-meaning old man who simply forgot he had the documents.

Last edited:
This has been pointed out a billion times, but how does a man with such serious cognitive decline get so much done? No other president this century has accomplished as much. Do you honestly believe a man who can barely eat soup can do what Joe has done?

What makes you think Joe is doing anything?,.. I don't know who is actually calling the shots in this administration, but it's not Joe Biden.

Question for the Biden Defenders in this thread who take umbrage at Hur’s comments about Biden’s mental acuity - would you have preferred that Hur had made no such comments and instead filed charges against Biden, given that there clearly was enough evidence to prosecute?
Because some of what he state was outside of the scope of his investigation. He was charged with making a determination as to if criminal charges should be filed. What he wound up doing was making a political statement.
Hur is not a doctor, or in any way qualified to make some of the statements he made. Statements outside of what he was charged with doing should have been removed.

Hur isn’t trying to make a medical diagnosis. He’s making a judgment call, as a prosecutor, on whether or not he can secure a unanimous conviction. Part of that calculus is anticipating what the defense’s strategy will be. He surmused that Biden’s lawyers would appeal to the jury’s empathy by depicting Biden as a well-meaning old man who simply forgot he had the documents.
Biden would not have been required to testify as a befuddled old man.

Really? So why didn't Hur accuse all the other subjects of mental deficiencies when they couldn't remember answers? It's a hit job. Too many red flags not to be. Be honest.
Be honest about what? I haven't seen a single untrue fact in the report. You're really reaching to defend Joe Biden...."Oh, well, gee golly he mishandled classified information, But but but he wasn't a narcissistic jerk about it like that POS Trump! He gave them back." <---------- How is that okay?

When the security guard at NSA pulled me aside for a random bag inspection I had two choices, cooperate or be a non-compliant jerk-wad. If I have classified information in my possession, I'm screwed regardless. Cooperating and being forthright will only get me so far. Things that were in my favor:

1. No previous mishandlings
2. I had not left the building yet
3. The document was improperly marked by the creator (they got lazy with the headers/footers and marked an agenda SECRET when it should have been UNCLASSIFIED). The portion markings were correct--(U).

I still had to go through a lot of hoops to get back to work and it was pretty nerve-racking (and embarrassing) considering I'd only been on the job 2-weeks.

Now, imagine if I had in my possession documents that Biden had in his garage, basement, den, etc. TS/SCI documents just lying around? Are you fracking kidding me? I'm sorry, I don't give a flying rats a$$ what your political affiliation is when it comes to protecting U.S. National Security interests. Just because he "gave them back" doesn't justify it. As @binsfeldcyhawk2 said, if it had been me or you, we'd be up on charges. Why are you not pissed that a sitting VP would do this intentionally? Why are you only mad that Trump did it? Makes no sense.
Because it highlights the biased nature of his investigation. His son has absolutely nothing to do with classified documents. Not one shred. Yet Hur uses it as one of his main reasons to justify his medical call of Biden having a screw loose.
It's VERY common to ask very personal questions to establish mental acuity. You've NEVER been down this path so you are talking out of your arse.

Here's a little example I'll type up from personal experience:

Investigator, "Can you start off by telling me your first, middle and last name?"
Me - provides answer
Investigator, "Can you verify your address?"
Me - provides answer

Investigator will go down a long list of verification questions, then they'll start with personal stuff often times tied to the area of my life they're focused on.:

Investigator, "Can you tell me the dates you attended that high school. Who were some of your friends there? What did you like to do in your spare-time?"

I've spent hours with investigators being asked all kinds of personal questions. Hell, I was asked about ever being with a prostitute during a polygraph.

Biden should know a very important date like that. Hur lobbed him a softball. I've been asked when my Papaw died. I've been asked if my parents were still alive (while they're literally looking at paperwork that says they are).

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
Again, defend to a fault. You still think there was no wrong doing on biden’s part?

Depends on the line of questioning. If they're trying to establish a relationship with another party, it's not out of line at all.

Reactions: alaskanseminole
Once again Bins this isn't true. You yourself said that Biden did well during his presser. I watched it myself and thought that he did well, too. Joe wasn't the angry one in the room. You know as well as I do that he was actually quite poised. The press were the ones shouting. Not sure what the author of this link saw but it sure wasn't the same thing we both saw.
It's over for Biden, he's finished.

There are 7 stages of Dementia and Biden is clearly at Stage 5 headed quickly toward Stage 6.

Up to stage 4, Alzheimer’s disease was “mild,” but from this stage, the following symptoms increase and progress to “moderate” Alzheimer’s disease. There are major lapses in memory and impaired cognitive function. Support is needed in daily activities.

• Can’t remember important information such as current address, phone number, and university or high school they graduated from.
  • Place, date and day of the week, season, etc. are mixed up
  • Difficulty in solving simpler mental arithmetic (e.g., subtract 4 from 40 or subtract 2 from 20)
  • Need the help of people to choose clothes for different season and? situation
  • Usually remembers a great deal of knowledge about themselves, their names, spouses, or children’s names
  • Usually does not require assistance in eating and using the toilet

Biden would not have been required to testify as a befuddled old man.
That wouldn’t stop his defense team from portraying him as a well-meaning grandfather figure who simply forgot he had those documents. And all it takes is one Huey Grey on the jury to undermine the entire trial.

It's possible they asked Biden what year he had the documents and Biden said "2007 the same year my son died".

You have no idea what the context was but you are certain it was a plot against the president.

Fact check: Biden makes three false claims about his handling of classified information​

Here is a fact check.

Where the classified material was stored​

Biden sought to contrast his handling of classified material with that of former President Donald Trump, who faces felony charges for willfully retaining classified documents. (Hur agreed that there were major distinctions between the two cases.) But while Biden correctly noted that the documents were in a private home that is very different from the Mar-a-Lago social club where Trump lives, Biden embellished his argument with a false claim.

Biden said: “All the stuff that was in my home was in filing cabinets that were either locked or able to be locked.”

Facts First: Biden’s claim is not true. The special counsel’s report says that while some of the classified documents were found in cabinet drawers in Biden’s Delaware home, other classified documents, about Afghanistan, were found in an “unsealed” and “badly damaged” box sitting in his garage alongside an assortment of other items the special counsel described as “household detritus.” The report includes a photo of the box.

Hur wrote that investigators looked into the possibility that the Afghanistan-related documents found in the box were previously stored in a filing cabinet when Biden lived in a rented home in Virginia before moving out in 2019. Hur called that line of inquiry “inconclusive.” Regardless, Biden’s Thursday claim that “all” of the documents in his home were in locked or lockable filing cabinets is not true of his current home.

According to the special counsel, even classified documents Biden was storing elsewhere in his home were insufficiently secure. Hur wrote that Biden notebooks containing classified information from his vice presidency were found by investigators in “unlocked drawers in the office and basement den” of the home. Hur wrote that Biden “should have known” that as a private citizen as of 2017, “he was not permitted to keep handwritten notes about the President’s Daily Brief and other classified information in unlocked drawers in his home.”

The classification level of the documents Biden had in his possession​

Biden claimed of the documents he possessed: “None of it was high classified. It didn’t have any of that red stuff on it, you know what I mean, around the corners? None of that.”

Facts First: Biden’s claim that none of the classified material found in his possession was highly classified is false, according to details provided by the special counsel. Hur reported the discovery of documents in Biden’s possession that had markings identifying them as “Top Secret/Sensitive Compartmented Information,” a very high level of classification – plus handwritten notebooks from Biden’s time as vice president that weren’t marked as classified but that “contain information that remains classified up to the Top Secret/Sensitive Compartmented Information level.”

Enter your email to subscribe to the CNN Five Things Newsletter.
close dialog
CNN Five Things logo

You give us five minutes, we’ll give you five things you must know for the day.

Sign Me Up
By subscribing you agree to our
privacy policy.
It’s not clear whether any of the marked classified documents found in Biden’s possession had the colored borders seen on some of the marked classified documents found in Trump’s possession, which is what Biden appeared to be referring to when he spoke about “that red stuff…around the corners.” Regardless, Hur explained at length that some of the documents were marked as Top Secretand some with other notations identifying them as highly classified.

For example, Hur wrote, the open box in Biden’s garage contained an Afghanistan-related memo from the National Security Adviser to President Barack Obama in 2009 marked “TOP SECRET/SCI” (Sensitive Compartmented Information). Hur wrote that experts in the intelligence community said the document contains “highly sensitive information about the military programs of the United States and a foreign government. The unauthorized disclosure of this information, both today and in 2017 when Mr. Biden was no longer vice president, reasonably could be expected to cause exceptionally grave damage to the national security.”

Hur wrote that the box in the garage contained another 2009 memo from the National Security Adviser to Obama marked “TOP SECRET WITH TOP SECRET/NOFORN/CODEWORD ATTACHMENTS” with attachments, one of which was marked “TOP SECRET//HUMINT/COMINT//ORCON/NOFORN//FISA.”Hur wrote that experts said “portions of this document contain national defense information about sensitive intelligence sources and methods.”

In addition, Hur wrote that notebooks with handwritten notes Biden took during his vice presidency contained information on “U.S. intelligence sources, methods, and capabilities,” “U.S. intelligence activities” and “the activities of foreign intelligence services,” among other things. Hur wrote that when investigators looked into a sampling of 37 excerpts from Biden’s handwritten materials that appeared to be classified, they found that “eight are Top Secret with Sensitive Compartmented Information, seven of which include information concerning human intelligence sources,” while six are Top Secret alone, 21 Secret and two Confidential.

“Mr. Biden wrote down obviously sensitive information discussed during intelligence briefings with then President Obama and meetings in the White House Situation Room about matters of national security and military and foreign policy,” Hur wrote.

What Hur said Biden said to his ghostwriter​

Hur said in the report that Biden disclosed classified material from his notebooks to the ghostwriter, Mark Zwonitzer, who worked with him on a 2017 memoir called “Promise Me, Dad.” But Biden categorically denied that he had shared classified information with the ghostwriter, saying he can “guarantee” he didn’t.

When a reporter responded that the special counsel said he did, Biden responded, “No, they did not say that. He did not say that.”

Facts First: Biden’s claim is false. Hur did say that, writing explicitly that “Mr. Biden shared information, including some classified information, from those notebooks with his ghostwriter.” He elaborated that Biden shared classified information with his ghostwriter by reading “nearly verbatim” from his notebooks “on at least three occasions,” including his “notes from meetings in the Situation Room.”

Hur did find, however, that Biden “at times” tried to avoid sharing classified information, by stopping at or skipping over certain material from the notebooks. And he wrote that “the evidence does not show that when Mr. Biden shared the specific passages with his ghostwriter, Mr. Biden knew the passages were classified and intended to share classified information.”

Hur wrote that in one recorded conversation with the ghostwriter in 2017, at the Virginia home where Biden then lived, Biden read from his notebook about a National Security Council meeting about Iraq in 2015, then told the ghostwriter about a 2009 memo he had written to Obama arguing against the deployment of more troops to Afghanistan – and then said, “I just found all the classified stuff downstairs.” Hur noted that more than five years later, investigators found classified documents about the Afghanistan troop surge in Biden’s Delaware garage.

Hur wrote that he has not heard of any allegations that classified material actually appeared in Biden’s 2017 memoir.

• Angry
probably not simply because of the memory comment which will be red meat for republicans. the rest isn’t much to write home about in my opinion.
Much of that 'editorializing' is rather unusual for a report like this.

Indeed, just political mishmash for the GOP to have a tiny side dish to go with the L

Reactions: eb05
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT